Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Argentina Formalizes Rights For Transgender Adults

News

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Yussef

Yussef
  • love infinitely

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,194 posts
  • Joined Jun 22, 2006
  • 4,382 rep

POPULAR

http://www.ajc.com/n...ge-1434726.html

Senators approved the Gender Identity law by a vote of 55-0, with one abstention and more than a dozen senators declaring themselves absent — the same margin that approved a "death with dignity" law earlier in the day.

President Cristina Fernandez threw her support behind the law and is expected to sign it. She has often said how proud she is that Argentina became Latin America's first nation to legalize gay marriage two years ago, enabling thousands of same-sex couples to wed and enjoy the same legal rights as married heterosexual couples.

For many, gender rights were the next step.
Any adult will now be able to officially change his or her gender, image and birth name without having to get approval from doctors or judges — and without having to undergo physical changes beforehand, as many U.S. jurisdictions require.

"It's saying you can change your gender legally without having to change your body at all. That's unheard of," said Katrina Karkazis, a Stanford University medical anthropologist and bioethicst who wrote a book, "Fixing Sex," about the medical and legal treatment of people whose physical characteristics don't fully match their gender identity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LI48mrS4ml4
http://vimeo.com/40410293

Sorry, the videos are in spanish but I think the youtube one has subtitles.

Anyway, this is very good news.

CaesarSalad

CaesarSalad
  • Best Thing In Town

• 11,498 posts
  • Joined Oct 01, 2005
  • 923 rep
such a huuuuge step :) although it's definitely not getting the international attention it deserves.

Little Girl Little One

Little Girl Little One
  • THE DARK OF AGES PAST

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,204 posts
  • Joined Aug 07, 2009
  • 2,448 rep
Awesome news! Even though it'll probably take a while, I really hope this kind of positive attitude spreads.

John.

John.
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 28,885 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 6,774 rep
Has Emperor Palpatine back in Rome promised hellfire for Argentina yet? :P

Good on them, I am glad to see some nations are still moving in a progressive direction.

Dai.

Dai.
  • Sleepwalking

• 22,059 posts
  • Joined Mar 01, 2006
  • 3,266 rep
yeah motherfucker :cool:

Unrelated but nevertheless important, court has also recently allowed abortions in rape cases. We still have a long way to go to reach full legalization, but this is a big step.

Frank's Penis

Frank's Penis
  • <3 ∞

• 9,032 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2006
  • 1,204 rep
Wow, that's awesome! :) Great to see trans rights moving forward for once and without conditions like mandatory surgery. I do wonder why it's considered necessary to have a person's gender written on their ID.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: News

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users