Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Posted Image Trick or treat! We have a new Halloween theme. We also have two Halloween contests going on right now - enter with your pumpkin carvings here and your costumes here!

Photo

Man accused of attacking Madina Lake bassist found not guilty

News

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,037 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,653 rep
From Kerrang.com:

Justin Pivec, the 35-year-old man accused of brutally assaulting Madina Lake bassist Matthew Leone in 2010, has been found not guilty by a Chicago court.
Leone was left fighting for his life after breaking up a domestic dispute between Pivec and his wife in the West Town area of Chicago in the early hours of June 29, 2010. Police said
Pivec was beating his wife and turned on Leone when he attempted to intervene. Pivec was subsequently arrested and charged on July 2 with with aggravated battery causing great bodily harm.

Leone - who suffered a fractured skull, broken nose and fractured jaw during the attack - was treated at Chicago's University of Illinios Department of Neurosurgery. There, he had one-third of his skull removed to allow the swelling in his brain to go down.
"We're utterly baffled and shocked to get a 'not guilty' verdict in the Justin Pivec attempted murder case," reads a post written by Matthew's brother and vocalist Nathan Leone on Madina Lake's Facebook page. "Admittedly, we're not well versed in the justice system but today a vicious coward was given a free pass for beating his wife and almost killing my brother. This has taken a tremendous toll on all of us for two years and though we're devastated. We will continue to focus on the positive. which is that Matthew is still with us and hopefully this has spread awareness for victims of domestic violence. More later as we attempt to comprehend this."

Before you go all ape-shit on me, this thread isn't about ML... just about the apparent HUGE FLAW in the justice system. What the heck is going on?

spark in the night

spark in the night
  • ◊∴◊ 400⋅LUX ◊∴◊

• 29,919 posts
  • Joined Jul 15, 2005
  • 3,022 rep
I remember hearing about this. I can't believe he was found not guilty.

The only thing I can think of is that if the wife did/did not testify, and whether she actually said, yes this man was beating me, yes this other man came to intervene and was then attacked.

It seems that women who are beaten don't have the psychological strength to come forward when they have the chance

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 18,037 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,653 rep
Even if she didn't. ML was left fighting for his life and they let him off... DA FUQ?

spark in the night

spark in the night
  • ◊∴◊ 400⋅LUX ◊∴◊

• 29,919 posts
  • Joined Jul 15, 2005
  • 3,022 rep
yeah it happens a lot :/

I don't know a whole lot about the justice system either, but probably one flaw could be "innocent until proven guilty"
If it were the other way- "guilty until proven innocent" it might be more effective? But I don't know if that would be worse. I dunno.

Davepalooza

Davepalooza
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Joined Oct 27, 2009
  • 62 rep
I'm really shocked by the outcome of this. Speechless.

Just thankful that Matthew is playing again and making music. The scars emotionally and physically will last a lifetime though.

elisa

elisa
  • come to me

• 10,534 posts
  • Joined Oct 16, 2006
  • 827 rep
i can't believe this!

Black Dynamite

Black Dynamite
  • STOP WHEN THE RED LIGHT flashES

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts
  • Joined Apr 06, 2011
  • 3,331 rep
I remember this, think I donated some money to help fund his surgery. Was delighted to see that he fully recovered.

No idea how the guy who left him for dead got a verdict of not guilty, doesn't make much sense. Even if the wife didn't testify, he was still left for dead on the side of the road, he hardly beat himself up now did he?

Spoiler
:ninja:

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 18,037 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,653 rep

I remember this, think I donated some money to help fund his surgery. Was delighted to see that he fully recovered.

No idea how the guy who left him for dead got a verdict of not guilty, doesn't make much sense. Even if the wife didn't testify, he was still left for dead on the side of the road, he hardly beat himself up now did he?

Spoiler
http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/...

Was the one with Here I Stand on it?

I mean we don't know the full story but I don't see how it's possible. I wonder if they'll appeal...

Black Dynamite

Black Dynamite

• 3,237 posts
  • Joined Apr 06, 2011
  • 3,331 rep

Was the one with Here I Stand on it?

I mean we don't know the full story but I don't see how it's possible. I wonder if they'll appeal...

Yeh, that's the one. *goes to listen to it again*

You can say to be thankful that Matthew is still alive but at the same time, this guy is back on the streets, probably still beating up his wife. Prick!

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 18,037 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,653 rep

Yeh, that's the one. *goes to listen to it again*

You can say to be thankful that Matthew is still alive but at the same time, this guy is back on the streets, probably still beating up his wife. Prick!

Yeah I liked that album. May fave songs were Now or Never, Stars and Here I Stand. Didn't like Pandora... :P

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,536 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,691 rep
Okay, so apparently this guy waived his right to a jury and was tried directly before a judge. But he was tried for attempted murder, which clearly doesn't seem substantiated. So I suppose you should all blame the prosecution for not attempting a lesser charge which might have got a conviction.

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 18,037 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,653 rep

Okay, so apparently this guy waived his right to a jury and was tried directly before a judge. But he was tried for attempted murder, which clearly doesn't seem substantiated. So I suppose you should all blame the prosecution for not attempting a lesser charge which might have got a conviction.

But surely even if the accusation was too high he should have been convicted of something? That's the way it works over here...

If someone's accused of stealing something but then it turns out they murdered the shopkeeper too, the judge doesn't go "oh well, the prosecution on filed for theft so therefore..."

Black Dynamite

Black Dynamite

• 3,237 posts
  • Joined Apr 06, 2011
  • 3,331 rep

Before you go all ape-shit on me, this thread isn't about ML...

Yeah I liked that album. May fave songs were Now or Never, Stars and Here I Stand. Didn't like Pandora... http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/...

:acute:

Spoiler

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 18,037 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,653 rep

http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/...

Spoiler

Shhh you.

I didn't. Just the line "the way the sweat drips of your chest" put me off.

Trotsky

Trotsky

• 29,536 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,691 rep

But surely even if the accusation was too high he should have been convicted of something? That's the way it works over here...

If someone's accused of stealing something but then it turns out they murdered the shopkeeper too, the judge doesn't go "oh well, the prosecution on filed for theft so therefore..."

Some cases can carry lesser charges too, like how Casey Anthony was still convicted of lying to investigators. But depending on the law that isn't always true. My mom was on an attempted murder jury once that acquitted, she had said how she personally believed the guy was guilty, but the jury had to follow the criteria that was given to them by the judge, so they had to acquit. Similar thing, there were no lesser charges attached, it was an all or nothing situation.

Advertising

Black Dynamite

Black Dynamite

• 3,237 posts
  • Joined Apr 06, 2011
  • 3,331 rep

Shhh you.

I didn't. Just the line "the way the sweat drips of your chest" put me off.

No u

I looked it up and I was actually thinking about the song Adalia not Pandora, Pandora is a catchy chorus though.

Back on topic....

spark in the night

spark in the night
  • ◊∴◊ 400⋅LUX ◊∴◊

• 29,919 posts
  • Joined Jul 15, 2005
  • 3,022 rep
Attempted murder? Seriously?

Why not domestic violence, or assault, or aggravated assault, or battery, or whatever the fuck those charges are called.

The Snark

The Snark
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,028 posts
  • Joined Apr 29, 2005
  • 1,006 rep
This is bullshit! I saw this on the news last night and can't believe he was tried for attempted murder and not two charges of assault (or whatever would make more sense). That might have actually ended in some kind of punishment. At least he has a record now...

LouLou

LouLou
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts
  • Joined Mar 02, 2006
  • 154 rep
What the hell!? I remember this happening, it was horrible! What's just as horrible is not only that it took two years for this, but that he not guilty! And why was he charged with attempted murder and not assult? That would make so much more sense since that is what he did....What wrong with our justice system? Why are they so afraid to sentence and punish anybody lately?

Trotsky

Trotsky

• 29,536 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,691 rep

This is bullshit! I saw this on the news last night and can't believe he was tried for attempted murder and not two charges of assault (or whatever would make more sense). That might have actually ended in some kind of punishment. At least he has a record now...

A record? Not if you're acquitted. Though he'll likely be convicted or plead guilty to domestic abuse which he still is going to be tried for.

What the hell!? I remember this happening, it was horrible! What's just as horrible is not only that it took two years for this, but that he not guilty! And why was he charged with attempted murder and not assult? That would make so much more sense since that is what he did....What wrong with our justice system? Why are they so afraid to sentence and punish anybody lately?

Charging him with attempted murder is quite the opposite of meekness on the part of the justice system, in fact it is overzealousness.

I would rather a system where a few guilty people go free and the innocent are generally protected, than one that allows no one to escape justice at the price of some innocent people.

icyfire34

icyfire34
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Joined Jul 20, 2011
  • 201 rep
wow i cant believe how the government system let this one go by as "not guilty"! regardless the fact that ML was a bassist, it's still wrong for someone to destroys half of their face including their skull... wth x/

LouLou

LouLou
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts
  • Joined Mar 02, 2006
  • 154 rep

A record? Not if you're acquitted. Though he'll likely be convicted or plead guilty to domestic abuse which he still is going to be tried for.

Charging him with attempted murder is quite the opposite of meekness on the part of the justice system, in fact it is overzealousness.

I would rather a system where a few guilty people go free and the innocent are generally protected, than one that allows no one to escape justice at the price of some innocent people.

Yes but here you have a case where the dependent is clearly guilty of assaulting another person, but if you charge him with attempted murder, you must prove that he intended to murder his victim, rather than just attacked him. Much harder to do and the chance of letting a person who is 100% guilty go free

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 18,037 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,653 rep

wow i cant believe how the government system let this one go by as "not guilty"! regardless the fact that ML was a bassist, it's still wrong for someone to destroys half of their face including their skull... wth x/

What's being a bassist got to do with it? :P

Surely he could have been charged with GBH?

Trotsky

Trotsky

• 29,536 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,691 rep

Surely he could have been charged with GBH?

I told you, attempted murder charges are exclusive. Some charges you can acquit on the highest charge and convict on lesser ones, but in many states attempted murder is not one of them. The prosecution basically went into this knowing it'd be all or nothing, it's their fault.

colour_me_stupid_

colour_me_stupid_
  • disappearin' in the fade

• 8,596 posts
  • Joined Jan 07, 2007
  • 1,757 rep
Yep I agree with John. The prosecution took too much on thinking that they could prove the guy intended to murder. If they had gone for a lesser charge such as assault they could have easily proven the intent for that.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: News

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users