How did you get into Green Day?

JardyOfSuburbia

Hello, Green Day community! I am hosting a radio show on Friday, April 27 on blacksquirrelradio.com from midnight-3 a.m. The entire show will be dedicated to Green Day! Yay! Green Day! I did this on Billie's birthday and it was a big success. Anyways, I want to share Green Day stories on the air this time around. So, my question to you guys is how did you get into Green Day? Share your stories here or on my show's Facebook page at this link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/All-I-Ever-Wanted-Was-A-Radio-Show-And-I-Got-One/212606535496714.

And don't forget to tune in at midnight this Friday to listen to three hours of Green Day!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since the link isn't working (and I don't really use FB much anyway...) I got into Green Day right after American Idiot came out, I was about 13. I heard Boulevard of Broken Dreams over the radio on the school bus and I loved it immediately.

I'd never heard of Green Day before that, but something just clicked with me. It was like, all the music I'd listened to in the past didn't matter to me anymore, because this band, this song, was perfect. I can't really describe the feeling.

I saw 21 Guns music video on Vh1 in May 2009. I started listening to that a lot. Then the fall of 2009 I got into American Idiot songs. I started listening to the older song in January of 2010. I started to become a bigger and bigger Green Day fan.

I got an acoustic guitar for Christmas 2009 and when I went to my cousins house for Christmas dinner I brought it because my cousin plays guitar. We went into a separate room so they could teach me something and they asked me what song I wanted to learn but I didn't know. So one of my cousins asked "Do you know who Green Day is?" and I said no. I saw that he had a guitar tab for Good Riddance up. He never taught it to me because my aunt called us in for dinner.

Later my mom asked me if I learned anything and I said he was going to teach me a song by someone called Green Day and she was like "really? I haven't heard him talk about Green Day in a long time! He was obsessed with them back in the 90s. I'm glad you're not like him. I hated Green Day. They're a bunch of no good snotty punks". I just dropped the subject.

Then a few days later I was on YouTube looking for music to spend my iTunes gift card on and one of the featured videos was 21CB. The words "Green Day" caught my eye so I watched it. I instantly fell in love. It was the coolest video I had ever seen and the music was so different from what I listened to which was (embarrassingly) hip hop. I went on iTunes and bought the video, and I loved their sound so much that I bought the videos for Basket Case and 21 Guns before listening to them.

About a week later I bought the 21CB album and I showed my mom Horseshoes & Handgrenades and that song turned her into a fan. And now the two of us have been pretty much obsessed for the past couple years. :)

Edit: I just re read this and I had so many spelling mistakes :lol: i fixed them.

^Cool story. :)

The first time I ever even heard Green Day's name was in early 2009 when I was 13. I had recently gotten into U2 with my dad, and one day we were watching U2 videos on YouTube when we came across The Saints are Coming video. I fell in love with the video instantly. Something about the message behind it and, admittedly, Billie Joe Armstrong's singing and actions, made me want to watch it over and over again. Some time after watching it for the first time, I looked up Billie Joe's name because, well, I didn't know it. :lol:

Soon after that I think 21st Century Breakdown came out and I started hearing 21 Guns and Know Your Enemy on the radio a lot. I thought they were awesome. For Christmas that year, I was now 14, I got the 21st Century Breakdown album. In the beginning, I think my dad was more into the album (and Green Day) than I was. It was because of this that the following year he asked for American Idiot from me for Christmas. I got it for him.

I could never have imagined how getting that album for him for Christmas would change me. I adored the album and listened to it more times than I can count. After that, over a period of time, I got more and more of Green Day's albums. Now, at age 16, I have all eight studio albums, both compilation albums, the two live albums, and the Foxboro Hot Tubs album. I'm a huge fan now. I owe a lot to Green Day and their music. In a way, their music has sort of "set me free."

I was in high school and American Idiot was everywhere. You couldn't escape it! So i remember the album was on sale at Circuit City (man I feel old saying that!) and I got it and it fucking blew me away. Every song was killer and had me singing along by the third time I listened to it. The album was so great it made me go out and buy all their rest of their albums. I became obsessed with them! And every time I heard something by Green Day new or old it made me love the band even more. Once my friend asked for a copy of album. I burned her one and she actually told me there's too many guitars on it. I was thinking well yeah you just don't know Green Day!

Funny enough, I wish I had such a good memory for school as I do for this stuff haha but I remember the exact moment I heard them for the first time.

2005: I was in my kitchen making a sandwich with MTV on, and Holiday came. I was like O.O

So I looked up for the band, and when I heard Boulevard of Broken Dreams I fell in love...bought the album...fell more and more.

They were the band that opened my world to rock music, and for that and much more I'm forever in debt with them.

:)

PS. That sandwich was good!!

I was watching the 2009 video music awards and Green Day performed east Jesus nowhere... I thought it was really good so I started to check out more GD songs, later I bought American idiot. And well, the rest is history ;)

I was watching a Naruto video and BOBD was played, I really liked it so I check it out. I started listenng to more songs and just fell in love with the band :)

It was in 2005 when I was waiting to go to school. I was flicking through the music channels and Boulevard Of Broken Dreams was playing. I instantly fell in love with the song. I listened to more of their music and i knew they were awesome band :)

I gotta admit i used to hate them when I saw the video for American Idiot because I wasn't into rock music at all. I'm glad that's all changed because of GD :D

Darn living in Australia... :S

Oh well, here's my story anyways! :D

My little sister had got Bullet In a Bible for herself and at the time I didn't like Green Day very much, I liked maybe "Holiday" and that was it.

I watched it with her along with my Mum and I loved how they performed and all the backstage stuff (especially any Tre bits because Tre made me laugh).

At the same time my friend liked them also and every time we met up we'd listen to American Idiot on repeat.

From then on I loved them to pieces and became a bigger fan then my little sister and making her not like them any more. :mellow:

Green Day was playing at Pinkpop festival in the Netherlands and I happend to be there. Loved the songs and the stage preformance of the band. So I bought all the albums and discovered that they had a lot of great songs. Now I'm addicted to the music :happy:

I was in a show at our town's theatre and during the afterparty they played American Idiot, me and my friend started head banging across to stage and going a bit crazy, I loved it so much I made a not of some of the lyrics so I could find out what it was later and from then on I was hooked. Because I was only twelve and had no money I recorded their songs off the internet onto a cassette, it was absolutely awful quality, but I still like to listen to them on there sometimes just for the nostalgia. :lol:

One day i was in my room ! I heard the music from my sisters room coming! I was curious and went to hear room ! I ask who they are and she said "It's green day" ! At that moment i was in love of there music! I borrowed AI (she has never seen the CD again :P ) and listening to it all day long.

But AI was not enough for me i wanted more! So i was going to the store to buy dookie :D (the first record i ever bought) I was right in love of the record :wub: ! Later I was dowloading more Records and soon I knew all the CDs :D ! I was totally in love with GREEN DAY !

a while ago (4 years) I didn't listning to green day anymore :( ! I was bullied for my music tastes and clothing styl ! I decided never listen to green day anymore! I think i was scared of the people who bullied me :( ! it was a bad decision :( !

In 2009 i was started listening to green day again! I was older and lost from the bullies! Green day is just a part of my life and If people can not exept that than just go away! I'm glad to be a fan ! Green day is the best thing what happened to me! I good and bad times :D !

I really don't know why i changed my style i think i was to scared :( ! But know i'm myself and I not gonna change it :D

The first time I heard Green Day was probably when I was 7 when American Idiot was released. I can remember liking the songs. I was still too young to get fully into any band. When 21st Century Breakdown was released, that's when I really got into them. When I first heard Know Your Enemy, I instantly loved it and then I heard 21 Guns and fell in love with Green Day even more. Then I started to listen to some of the older stuff and I thought I was great. Nearly three years later (anniversary is on may 2), I still love the band. 

Green Day was playing at Pinkpop festival in the Netherlands and I happend to be there. Loved the songs and the stage preformance of the band. So I bought all the albums and discovered that they had a lot of great songs. Now I'm addicted to the music :happy:

I was there to :D Best time ever :)

My first crush got me into Green Day when I was about nine years old :lol: And I've been listening to them till this day, for 5 years :D

Bought International Superhits back when I was 11 or 12 I think. At the time, I didn't actually know it was a greatest hits album so I naturally enough went around proclaiming that it was the greatest album ever made to anyone who'd listen. :P Of course this was back in the dark ages where the internet was either a pipe dream or you had to be mega rich to own a computer let alone dial up internet in your house so I couldn't exactly look up a discography on Wikipedia. There were no cars either and tv was black and white too. Think it was someone in my class in school who finally burst my bubble a year later and told me it was a greatest hits album. Went to the music store and realized my mistake, bought Dookie and began my obsession with the band.

I discovered Green Day because I saw 21 Guns music video some years ago. :happy:

I started to love them because my English teacher assigned me a beautiful homework: translate 'Wake me up when September ends'.

My grandmother's like some songs of Green Day ahahah

I had never heard about them before 2004, not even because of American Idiot's radio hits and stuff. I was 9 at the time and I was at my uncles' home because it was my parents' anniversary so they kinda kicked me out and sent me to my uncles for dinner xD I was poking around in my older cousin's bedroom since I had nothing to do and I saw his copy of Dookie: I got intrigued by its cover, which I still find pretty funny. So I took it and played it in my cousin's CD player and BANG, that was it: I was already hooked on GD since I first listened to Burnout (first song in the album). Later my cousins burned a copy of Dookie for me, since my parents didn't let me buy a copy and then later I bought the other CDs with my own money. So that's my story.

All I remember was having Know Your Enemy stuck in my head for days, it was driving me insane. So then I took the time to work out what and it was, and for some weird reason, it shocked me that it was Green Day, because before then I only knew American Idiot and Good Riddence, and I didn't think they were still around :lol:

The rest is history.

I got into Green Day in 2004, just a couple of months before AI was released. Growing tired of the few mainstream pop CD's I owned, and being reluctant to spend my own money on music (I was probably saving up for a video-game or something) I decided to check out my parents music collection. I came back to my room with a few albums, chosen more or less at random. I can't remember all of the albums I borrowed, but "Dookie" was one of them. It was my stepdads CD, and by looking at the back of the cover he told me to skip to track 7. I followed his directions and pressed play. 3 minutes later, I was a new person.

:happy:

Back in May 2005 I always rode home from school with a few friends, BOBD was a hit and they were obsessed with it. At that time I listened to 70's rock so this wasn't a complete change for me. At first I couldn't stand the song and always begged for them to switch it. Then after a couple days I grew to like it and then love it. After I found out who sang it I looked them up online.

After that I got into Holiday and WMUWSE, listening to them repeatedly online. Shortly after, I found out one of my good friends at the time owned American Idiot, and to her later dismay, she burnt it for me. After listening to that album all the way through I fell in love, I couldn't believe how amazing this album was.

Throughout the rest of 2005 I collected all their albums, buying the last 2 with a Best Buy giftcard after Christmas that year. I fell in love with Green Day that year and haven't fallen out of love with them almost 7 years later.

Archived