pasalaska

This week’s Song of the Week is the cynical Scumbag, originally released as a b-side to the Warning single, but better known as track 8 off Green Day’s compilation album, Shenanigans (2001). The song was also featured on the soundtrack of the 2001 movie American Pie 2.

Scumbag’s lyrics were penned by Mike, and describe a person who leaches off others, coming around “every now and then” once they’ve “run out of [other] friends” to exploit and use. The ‘scumbag’ only shows up when they want or need something, each time with different clothes, a “shit-eating grin and a brand new lie”, but underneath all that is the “same thing again and again”. Musically, Scumbag is classic Green Day; short, fast, simple and upbeat, with Billie’s signature snotty vocals adding to the contempt in the lyrics. It almost seems like the song doesn’t end properly – the abrupt finish to the song sounds a lot like the brief pause after the line “did you run outta friends?” that is followed by another verse; almost like the song could be played on a never-ending loop; the ‘scumbag’ repeating his actions – “the same thing again and again”.

Unsurprisingly for a Shenanigans track, there is no live version of Scumbag to be found, so here’s the studio version:

Lyrics:

You come around every now and then

Your clothes are different,

but you're still the same

Why else would you come here?

Scumbag on a mission

You're telling me it's been a while

Shit-eating grin and a brand new lie

Somebody let you come here

Scumbag with permission

Never thought I'd see the like of you around this place

What's the special occasion?

Did you run outta friends?

Hear you are coming 'round again

And things are different but you still pretend

You got a reason to come here

Scumbag with ambition

And now you're telling me that things have changed

And you'll leaving in a couple days

You're gonna change the world someday

Scumbag with a vision

It must be nice to know you got it all figured out

But from where I'm sitting,

It's the same thing again and again

Have you ever stopped to think

before you opened up your mouth?

Because every time you do,

It's the same thing again and again

*********************************************************************************************************

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the SotW Nominations and Archive thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week in its first post.

*FIRST!* :D

I like Scumbag really much, and the funny thing is that I just started liking it a couple of days ago. :)

This is the highlight in American Pie 2, no doubt.

It's also one of my favorites of Shenanigans.

And as it is every week, everything I say could be baby vomit because Pasalaska already said most of what there is to say about the song, and I basically agree with every word. *grumpy* x)

I think every town and every generation has a dude like the song describes, a deadbeat who lies to himself and everybody else that he'll be great someday.

Scumbag. I love this song. It perfectly describes how somebody I know behaves towards me, just like I wrote in the thread for "In the End" last week as well. Every time I need to let off steam because this person annoyed me once again, I listen to both of these songs and they at least cheer me a little up. :thumbsup: "Your clothes are different but you're still the same" - I can't tell how true that is and how well it fits.

The best one off shenanigans, and hands-down Green Day classic indeed. :D

"What's the special ocassion, did you run outta friends?"

I like this song not only because Mikey wrote but also because the lyric is amusing. Perfectly fitting Scumbag song for the scumbags in my town.

Well done Mike, whoever inspired you for this deserved to be told the truth.

this is my favorite song off Shenanigans. it reminds me of a friend i had...she was a bitch!

I love Shenanigans. I know that it's considered to be not-an-album, but it feels like one to me - it's got its own tone and consistency, and this low-key, off-the-record vibe to it. There's this whole way that B-sides are a kind of undertone to the main event, and Shenanigans is the voice of this - so there's this subltety to it, this whole sense of hearing the undercurrent.

Scumbag is a great song - the sound is pure and bright, and even though the words are scathing, the energy is good. What makes it stand out for me is the construction, how each little verse is summed-up with 'Scumbag .....' , mission/permission/ambition/vision, trailing thru the song and pulling it together. So, this song is called 'Scumbag', but it's something pretty elegant - it's witty and it's clever. Being such, it draws the poison, so that it feels more this person is pitiful than worthy of actual rage.

Until now I've never known the line said, 'Shit-eating grin and a brand new lie' I wonder what I've always sang up till this point?

Great song, and classic Green Day. I freaking love the lyrics to this, and have known many people who fit the description.

I've just realised how relevant this song is to me. I guess we've all got a Scumbag somewhere in our lives.

What great lyrics, though. A epic way of basically saying someone's a fucking prick. :P I never knew Mike wrote it either, he's an awesome lyricist!

Scumbag, surely one of my favourite songs off this album! It could be just a little shenanigan, but not only it has a catchy sound, something between the annoyed and the "I'm making fun of you", but it also has smart lyrics; on one hand, rash, for the continuous returning of this scumbag, on the other hand reasoned as well- I've always loved the word pun between mission, permission, ambition and vision, that at a first listening you may not get (what you really hear is ision, the part in common...).

This "scumbag" always kind of makes me feel sorry for her, she seems arrogant but at the end also confused and lost- she comes around again 'cause she ran out of friends, probably because of her rude and bitchy attitude...and as others said, everyone in his life has met a scumbag like that! :lol:

Great choice for this week!

Ps: my 3000th post, and I've been here for more than a year now! Love you GDC :wub:

Ps: my 3000th post, and I've been here for more than a year now! Love you GDC :wub:

Totally off topic, but: :banana::woot::dance::bunny::runaround::yay::friends: Congrats on that!

BTW, a friend of mine played an acoustic cover of this song.

If you wanna listen to:

That's pretty awesome! :o I do like your friend's voice!

I like this song, is one of my favorite from shenanigans too. BTW, a friend of mine played an acoustic cover of this song.

If you wanna listen to:

Bye

sounds great! love the voice!

Archived