Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Communism: Yay or Nay?

Debate

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,213 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,248 rep

So instead of Jews he moved onto the Kulaks? So much better...

Is there ever a basis for discriminating on race, religion, sex, sexuality, nationality, language? No. Should "class" be included in that list? No, this is war. The class war existed in Soviet Russia in the 1910's and it continues now everywhere in its own form. That is what separates people. Racism and similar doctrines are a means by which the ruling class preserve their power, by keeping us fighting each other so we forget that there is no "middle" class when one group has twice has much as the other but the next has thousands times more than both.

So yes, objectively, it is better. Also, the Bolsheviks reclaimed the peoples land only imprisoning or executing those who resisted, which once again, makes them no different than anyone fighting a war at any point in history. The mass murder occurred under STALIN.

Vesper

Vesper
  • Sand Snake

• 17,955 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,579 rep

Is there ever a basis for discriminating on race, religion, sex, sexuality, nationality, language? No. Should "class" be included in that list? No, this is war. The class war existed in Soviet Russia in the 1910's and it continues now everywhere in its own form. That is what separates people. Racism and similar doctrines are a means by which the ruling class preserve their power, by keeping us fighting each other so we forget that there is no "middle" class when one group has twice has much as the other but the next has thousands times more than both.

So yes, objectively, it is better. Also, the Bolsheviks reclaimed the peoples land only imprisoning or executing those who resisted, which once again, makes them no different than anyone fighting a war at any point in history. The mass murder occurred under STALIN.

No it didn't. It genuinely didn't. By the figures in the several russian history books I have currently scattered on my desks.... 'mass murder' also occurred in the period 1918-1924.
  • Comrade likes this

Todd

Todd
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• 12,420 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,516 rep

"I would find it intensely dissatisfactory to be on the same wage as a checkout girl/boy."

That's because you were born in a place where there are different levels of skill associated with different jobs. If you were born into a communist country and everyone just did the jobs they enjoyed and were good at, you wouldn't know any better. Also, for something like this to work, everyone has to be dedicated and motivated. Obviously you wouldn't want to live in a communist country, and the communists wouldn't want you there either if you thought you were better than everyone else (I'm not saying you think that, but everyone has to believe they are equal for communism to work) 

Sorry for the bump and quoting the old post, but it's better than me starting a new thread, right? 

Bastard of 1969

Bastard of 1969
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2012
  • 832 rep
  • Location:Somewhere over the country with financial problems and not so smart politicians

Since most of you probably neer lived in communist states, i think it's best that people who lived there tell you about it.

Vesper

Vesper
  • Sand Snake

• 17,955 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,579 rep

That's because you were born in a place where there are different levels of skill associated with different jobs. If you were born into a communist country and everyone just did the jobs they enjoyed and were good at, you wouldn't know any better. Also, for something like this to work, everyone has to be dedicated and motivated. Obviously you wouldn't want to live in a communist country, and the communists wouldn't want you there either if you thought you were better than everyone else (I'm not saying you think that, but everyone has to believe they are equal for communism to work) 

Sorry for the bump and quoting the old post, but it's better than me starting a new thread, right? 

But I don't think everyone is equal. And I don't think communism provides equality either. 

• Comrade and Maddy. like this

Steven Seagull

Steven Seagull
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts
  • Joined Dec 02, 2012
  • 1,417 rep

Americans will never understand Communism. Bush, Obama FTW right?

Todd

Todd

• 12,420 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,516 rep

But I want to understand communism :(

But I don't think everyone is equal. And I don't think communism provides equality either. 

Nope, I agree. but that was Marx's idea. 

fukingcounterstrike

fukingcounterstrike
  • GDC Union Red

• 10,002 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2007
  • 3,988 rep

Nahhhhhh, never Obama FTW

Sugaree

Sugaree
  • Jamaican Jerk Sauce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,732 posts
  • Joined Mar 29, 2007
  • 1,658 rep
Yay
  • Todd likes this

Todd

Todd

• 12,420 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,516 rep

Stalin had a SWEET mustache! I'd kill millions of my citizens to grow one of those!

• The Disappearing Boy likes this

Certified Nimrod

Certified Nimrod
  • The Real Adam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts
  • Joined Jan 26, 2013
  • 1,854 rep

Stalin had a SWEET mustache! I'd kill millions of my citizens to grow one of those!

um

Todd

Todd

• 12,420 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,516 rep

Fact: Mao Zedong never brushed his teeth

Pat1308

Pat1308
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Joined Mar 12, 2014
  • 327 rep

I remember someone saying that no country in the world is, or was, truly 'Communist', in the sense that no country has yet really implemented Communism the way Marx or Engels envisioned it. This is also what my teacher in economics back in high school also said: there is a distinction between 'true' Marxism and the ones practiced by so-called 'Communist' countries, be it Maoism, Stalinism, Guevarism, or North Korean Juche.

• Todd likes this

Yussef

Yussef
  • love infinitely

• 17,344 posts
  • Joined Jun 22, 2006
  • 4,603 rep

I remember someone saying that no country in the world is, or was, truly 'Communist', in the sense that no country has yet really implemented Communism the way Marx or Engels envisioned it. This is also what my teacher in economics back in high school also said: there is a distinction between 'true' Marxism and the ones practiced by so-called 'Communist' countries, be it Maoism, Stalinism, Guevarism, or North Korean Juche.

I guess trying to call those countries communist is like trying to say the US is a democratic country. :P

• Todd and Pat1308 like this

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,727 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,473 rep

You cannot implement communism because it is the Utopian end point of a social progression curve that includes capitalism, and will ultimately end up in some form of competition-inflected social democracy. Enforced communism fails; it is based on a lack of democracy, choice, equalism and forced redistribution. It never has or will work. Ultimately the inequality of capitalism will form the equality of a Marxist social democracy - where the number of people relying on welfare grows and grows until the welfare state is larger than the productivity of the state, and so becomes the state, with the state providing for (nearly) all. That that was Schumpeter's arghument, anyhow. It's the one I'm inclined to agree with, although like him, I question the pace at which it will happen and the reality of human nature allowing it to happen.

Marx and Engels based a lot of their work and assumptions on deeply floored evidence, interpretation and understanding of the technological innovation that would occur - based in no small part of completely misunderstanding the part competition has to play in capitalism as a driver of productivity and wealth for all involved. The working class of 2014 are far better off than the working class of 1814, and the working class of 2114 will be better off than today's. They will almost certainly be worse off in relation to the upper class of 2114, but their base level of comfort will still have gone up. This is where Marxists and leftists in general confuse inequality for increasing poverty, or any sort of unfairness at all. The capitalist establishment requires the lowest common denominator to be wealthy enough to buy from the rich producers. Consumption is the core of western capitalism, and is the main focus of long-term reforms in China. Capitalism requires it's population to be wealthy and happy. Yes, the rich get richer faster, but the poor get richer too - infrastructure, food quality, amenities, housing - all steadily improve as time goes on. It is not direct trickle down in raw financial terms (that does not exist) but the rich investors elevate the poor consumers to a maintain their own growth. In communism, the inevitable top strata have absolutely no inclination to do that for everyone else. Communism in theory is Utopia, but in practice, utter hell. 

• Maddy. and Pat1308 like this

Advertising

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • northern sailor

• 26,462 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 6,959 rep
Stalin still had a killer moustache though
  • The Disappearing Boy, Todd and Pat1308 like this

Pat1308

Pat1308
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Joined Mar 12, 2014
  • 327 rep

You cannot implement communism because it is the Utopian end point of a social progression curve that includes capitalism, and will ultimately end up in some form of competition-inflected social democracy. Enforced communist fails; it is based on a lack of democracy, choice, equalism and forced redistribution. It never has or will work. Ultimately the inequality of capitalism will form the equality of a Marxist social democracy - where the number of people relying on welfare grows and grows until the welfare state is larger than the productivity of the state, and so becomes the state, with the state providing for (nearly) all. That that was Schumpeter's arghument, anyhow. It's the one I'm inclined to agree with, although like him, I question the pace at which it will happen and the reality of human nature allowing it to happen.

Marx and Engels based a lot of their work and assumptions on deeply floored evidence, interpretation and understanding of the technological innovation that would occur - based in no small part of completely misunderstanding the part competition has to play in capitalism as a driver of productivity and wealth for all involved. The working class of 2014 are far better off than the working class of 1814, and the working class of 2114 will be better off than today's. They will almost certainly be worse off in relation to the upper class of 2114, but their base level of comfort will still have gone up. This is where Marxists and leftists in general confuse inequality for increasing poverty, or any sort of unfairness at all. The capitalist establishment requires the lowest common denominator to be wealthy enough to buy from the rich producers. Consumption is the core of western capitalism, and is the main focus of long-term reforms in China. Capitalism requires it's population to be wealthy and happy. Yes, the rich get richer faster, but the poor get richer too - infrastructure, food quality, amenities, housing - all steadily improve as time goes on. It is not direct trickle down in raw financial terms (that does not exist) but the rich investors elevate the poor consumers to a maintain their own growth. In communism, the inevitable top strata have absolutely no inclination to do that for everyone else. Communism in theory is Utopia, but in practice, utter hell. 

I basically agree with what you say. That's really what IMO is the main problem with implementing Communism: it sounds nice on paper, but too idealistic to work in real life. But then again, perhaps I might say the same thing about other systems.

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,727 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,473 rep

I basically agree with what you say. That's really what IMO is the main problem with implementing Communism: it sounds nice on paper, but too idealistic to work in real life. But then again, perhaps I might say the same thing about other systems.

True - that said, few other systems profess to be morally or ideologically better than other systems. It's another flaw with communism: arrogance in assuming itself morally above everything else. Ironically, that was one of the ways Lenin, Stalin, Mao and their ilk claimed their power: justification through being morally superior to 'evil' capitalism. It's sad so see so many Marxist types in western countries (who perhaps rightfully are disenfranchised with capitalism, especially in America) make the same basic mistake. 

• Pat1308 likes this

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy
  • British Idiot.

• 15,466 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 2,905 rep

Communism is a nice idea, but we are hard-wired to need authority and hierarchy, so it'll never work.

• Pat1308 likes this

Todd

Todd

• 12,420 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,516 rep

Communism is a nice idea, but we are hard-wired to need authority and hierarchy, so it'll never work.

what about anarchists? Are they hardwired to need authority?

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,727 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,473 rep

Ultimately, yes. Anarchist groups have leaders, and historically anarchic states - specifically Spain during its civil war and Afghanistan at most points since the 1800s - tend to become conglomerations of loose warlords, gangs and holdings until someone powerful comes along and takes over or factionalism occurs. All humans are hardwired to need authority. If not from another person, then from within. Humans require some form of discipline. It is an evolutionary response to at once developing free thinking while also being intrinsically social, herd animals. 

• The Disappearing Boy, Todd, Céadóg and 1 other like this

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy
  • British Idiot.

• 15,466 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 2,905 rep

I think most societies function better with authority and hierarchy, even if individuals rebel against it.

• Pat1308 likes this

Todd

Todd

• 12,420 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,516 rep

Fuck yes

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Debate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users