Billie Joe's surf van for sale

desertrose

Green Day rocker's van on Trade Me

A surf van restored by Green Day frontman Billie-Joe Armstrong has surfaced in New Zealand and is going under the hammer.

The dream machine is from the global rock star's private collection of more than 100 classic and high-performance cars.

Armstrong, and his two bandmates, Mike Dirnt and Tre Cool, were told by their manager to sell off some of their multi-million dollar fleet after filling their Californian warehouse.

The 1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier was sold to an Auckland classic car importer who shipped it Down Under and is now selling it on Trade Me.

"It's a true classic, very rare in New Zealand, especially given its rock star lineage," says seller Chris Rutter.

Mr Rutter, owner of Auckland car imports firm Old School Rods, said the van was a favourite of surf-loving punk rocker Armstrong.

"He's into his surfing and he used it as his surf wagon, cruising around the beaches of California.

"The whole band are real motorheads. Money is no object. They buy any car they like, drive it for a month, stick it in their warehouse just outside San Francisco and go buy another one."

The van, built by the American manufacturer as their answer to Volkswagon's best-selling Combi van, was imported to New Zealand last year and is registered for Kiwi roads.

Mr Rutter said Armstrong had the wagon fully restored to its original spec, adding his own touches of marine interior and rocker's sound system.

"It hasn't been pimped out, it's just got this incredible stereo system that should come with earmuffs ."

The mobile piece of rock history has Armstrong's autograph on the dashboard and comes with a State of California certificate of title as proof the music legend has owned the vehicle.

It has 102,000km on the odometer and is being sold for $37,500 or near offer.

"It's such a cool design, and given that it's come from a true rock star's stable, someone is going to love it," Mr Rutter says.

http://www.nzherald....jectid=10796904

GreenDayvan02_460x230.jpg

158580716.jpg?t=1302254393

158581141.jpg?t=1302254393

158581704.jpg?t=1302254393

158581563.jpg?t=1302254393

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, if I had $37,500 sitting around I'd consider it. :lol: But seriously, the real issue here is, Billie Joe has a collection of over 100 classic cars? That's crazy. :lol:

Well, if I had $37,500 sitting around I'd consider it. :lol: But seriously, the real issue here is, Billie Joe has a collection of over 100 classic cars? That's crazy. :lol:

My thought exactly. And it implied Mike and Tre do too.

Boys and their toys!

Again? This was on Trade Me before...unless it never got sold.

I remember reading some old quote from 1994 where Billie says he doesn't need money and it's not like he's gonna buy cars or anything.

Ah well. It's nice to piss money.

I do kind of hope he doesn't buy a new car every month though... and that the 100 cars are Green Day's combined collection.

Again? This was on Trade Me before...unless it never got sold.

Yep. I think it was only a year ago or so that we saw it listed. I believe it was even on eBay but never sold.

Is it bad that my first thought was, "wow, 50 years old and it's only got 63,000 miles on it? and it's in such good condition!"

I like cars okay :ninja:

Andres, can we buy this and park it outside of the Nebraska studio? Please please please?

tumblr_m0upescDtP1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

I would be more interested in this if I could actually drive. :P

But...

The dream machine is from the global rock star's private collection of more than 100 classic and high-performance cars.

Who in the fuck would ever need that many cars? :blink:

we should all pitch in and use it to transport all of us to green day concerts or some shit. :cool:

sadly, i knew this before it was posted being a nz'er and being piss bored last period in the computer room, i saw this van and quickly ignored it so when i saw it i was like :shok: thats that van.

and on a completely unrelated event it is going to be stolen soon, cause it is in my area :lol:

this came up last October. Billie sold that 3 years ago and that guy is using Billies name to push the price up. Good to see it isn`t doing him any good though! :P

"The whole band are real motorheads. Money is no object. They buy any car they like, drive it for a month, stick it in their warehouse just outside San Francisco and go buy another one."

rh4f1i.jpg

But if I had the money.. And If I could drive.. *pukes rainbows*

bjsjadndruinrvtyhowejgejqocnocniwqoiffwjvniy 2uxzs74.gif

Must have !! We should buy it and rent it.. We would get rich o.O ^^

Never imagined them as the kind of guys that waste money on hundreds of cars…

Is that true?

I just said to my dad, "Dad! We are going to New Zealand, bring 40 grand!" his response, "Sure." Me - "You're not listening are you?" dad - "Sure"

But still it's pretty cool

I've heard about the van before.. I think it looks pretty amazing :happy:

9568d1325888113t-battlefield-theme-floppy-disc-house-animation-oh-my-god-house-md-1052613_270_170_38346196.gif

Okay, this is definitely something I haven't heard before..

I just said to my dad, "Dad! We are going to New Zealand, bring 40 grand!" his response, "Sure." Me - "You're not listening are you?" dad - "Sure"

But still it's pretty cool

you'd only need 30 grand, remember exchange rates ;) and i heard that there was the idea to make 1 currency between nz and aus,

I have a feeling some of that first paragraph is made up or embellished, surely we would've heard something about it before if they had such a huge collection? Plus how would the seller know all that? I know they're into cars and I'm sure they've bought their fair share of them (and it doesn't bother me what they do with their money anyway) but I don't believe all that info is entirely accurate.

Regardless of that, I WANT THAT VAN!

I have a feeling some of that first paragraph is made up or embellished, surely we would've heard something about it before if they had such a huge collection? Plus how would the seller know all that? I know they're into cars and I'm sure they've bought their fair share of them (and it doesn't bother me what they do with their money anyway) but I don't believe all that info is entirely accurate.

Regardless of that, I WANT THAT VAN!

Yeah same, I'm sure their storage space is their studio, which wouldn't even be big enough! Im sure they have more bikes than cars as well

Wow! It's a nice and peculiar passion :o

..If we make a collection..?

Archived