Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

American Gun Laws

Debate

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

ConfirmPassword

ConfirmPassword
  • My imaginary friend thinks you're stupid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts
  • Joined Mar 27, 2010
  • 861 rep

Excatly ! It must have been, since i dont remember it?? Okay, this might be a crazy comparison but it's kind of the same as the whole nuclear weapon thing - if the other countries got them (china for instance) then USA needs to have them as well in order to protect themselves against an attack. But if we all new for certain that NOBODY has nuclear weapons, then we could all relax and be happy http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/...

YES! Peace and love to all!

Rosie May

Rosie May
  • Positively Pessimistic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,763 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2007
  • 1,748 rep

I don't have the right to bear arms and I wouldn't want it. I don't want the right to own a lethal weapon that's only use is to kill people.

I dunno, guns are scary, and the less of them around the better I think. If your assailant has a gun and you don't, put your hands up and give them everything they want. You having a gun as well is only gonna cause more bloodshed.
I like the fact that I can rest easy knowing some random crazy can't just walk into Asda and get one. If anyone is in possession of a gun it gets taken from them, no matter what you intend to use it for.

^This. I wouldn't like to live in a country where guns are commonplace and pretty much anyone can get them. All guns do is kill and injury, I don't see how that's a positive thing in society. The more weapons around the place, the more dangerous the place is.

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,585 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,818 rep

I think it would be hard to implicate and a black market would undoubtedly spring up, but just because something's difficult to do, does not mean it shouldn't be attempted... surely?

I outlined reasons it should not be attempted:

#1 - Police murder rates will skyrocket and most of these crimes will go unprosecuted.

#2 - It is going to provoke extreme reactions from the part of the population that views their gun ownership as a sacred constitutional liberty.

#3 - It's political suicide for any government official who would try it.

#4 - Like illicit drugs, an untaxed and unregulated black market will arise - depriving us of huge amounts of revenue from taxation and causing us to spend massive amounts more on law enforcement. It would be just like the "war on drugs", an absolute, unrivaled, disastrous failure of policy.

captainperoxide

captainperoxide
  • Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken.

• 15,839 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,535 rep
I think there just need to be better, stricter regulations. I have no problem with people owning guns if they get the proper background checks and are certified to keep the guns in a safe, secure environment, but the ease with which you can buy automatic weapons is astounding, and lots of people just leave them lying around the house, or in a drawer or something.

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit
  • "ben's actually a giant teddy bear" -Lone

• 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,649 rep
Posted Image

No, seriously, that's my absolute favorite t-shirt to wear. I get so many WTF faces when I'm wearing it around, then people figure it out and have a laugh.

On a more serious note, Americans do, Constitutionally, have the right to bear arms. Thing is, the Constitution doesn't specify which arms the public has the right to. We've seen some efforts to tighten things up a bit, like the assault weapon bans and the ten-rounds-per-clip rule, but I think more could be done. The penalties for carrying an unlicensed or illegal firearm should be much stiffer than they are, and I firmly believe that open-carry laws should be eliminated, with concealed-carry permits issued only to members of law enforcement. Is it questionable ground to stand on? Sure, but so's doing nothing and allowing the gun violence to continue at the same pace. Something has to be done.

captainperoxide

captainperoxide

• 15,839 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,535 rep
So I'm curious, how are we supposed to factor the "militia clause" into all this? Because when you read the Second Amendment, that's the reason it gives for allowing citizens to bear arms. I don't see many militias walking around.

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit

• 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,649 rep
We're not. Some parts of the Constitution are regarded as outdated and treated as such. When was the last time the Seventh Amendment was invoked?

captainperoxide

captainperoxide

• 15,839 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,535 rep
Well that's exactly my point. The second amendment was obviously written with the revolutionary war still in mind. It doesn't really apply today, so by rights it should be altered or amended further. But as John noted, that would be impossible.

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit

• 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,649 rep

Well that's exactly my point. The second amendment was obviously written with the revolutionary war still in mind. It doesn't really apply today, so by rights it should be altered or amended further. But as John noted, that would be impossible.

Yeah, don't know how much time you've spent in the deep south, or Texas, or Arizona, or Pennsylvania, or rural Minnesota, etc., but they love their guns. People lose political campaigns because they say the wrong thing (or, rather, don't say the "right" thing) about gun control, and if an Amendment to revise the Second Amendment came across the table, you would see a political bloodbath in those regions.

On the other hand, when's the last time you've ever seen anyone complain because their $21 small claims suit wasn't heard by a jury? The emotional investment just isn't there.

Trotsky

Trotsky

• 29,585 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,818 rep

On the other hand, when's the last time you've ever seen anyone complain because their $21 small claims suit wasn't heard by a jury? The emotional investment just isn't there.

Well no one ever said we weren't selective in what amendments we care about, or even selective about how certain amendments are applied. The 4th Amendment has been basically non-existent ever since the PATRIOT ACT was passed but everyone seemed to move on.

charlatans&saints

charlatans&saints
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Joined Nov 08, 2009
  • 166 rep
this may sound wierd, but not too long ago my brother took me out to a shooting range for the first time, and i have to say it was a lot of fun. i dont get to hang out with my brother often, so it was just a fun time to hang out with him
my family has always been supporters of the right to own guns, i can't say that i am really passionate about this subject, but i do think that it is something that people have the right to do if they want to.
i'm not sure how much of an effect population has (i'm sure it is minimal), but i think it is important to point out that that US has 6 times as many people Denmark, and that would add to the possibility of a shooting happening. but like i said, i'm sure its a minimal effect

tabbycat1596

tabbycat1596
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2012
  • 267 rep
While it is a constitutional right to bear arms, as far as i know, I don't think you have to take a test or anything in Missouri to own a gun. I find it strange that you need to take a test to get a driver's permit and then license, but to get a gun all you have to do is go to the store and prove you're 18 or older.

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 18,061 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,700 rep
Something caught my eye a couple of days ago, there is currently a petition in the House of Commons here to get over 800 old English laws scrapped (for example, it is still legal to shoot a Welshman with a longbow in Chester on a Saturday), we are amending some of our outdated ideas.

Would it be unfeasible for America to amend it's constitution (big style)?

Billie Hoe is my hero

Billie Hoe is my hero
  • ♥ Jimmy Sullivan ♥

• 19,298 posts
  • Joined Jun 14, 2005
  • 1,120 rep

I wouldn't like to live in a country where guns are commonplace and pretty much anyone can get them.

Agreed, it would have freaked me out.

Taylor_k2008

Taylor_k2008
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Joined May 05, 2009
  • 203 rep
TBH I don't know much about guns, but my entire family and most friends go hunting every fall.

I also think it's a stereotype of America for everyone to be carrying around a gun everywhere they go. I used to be in this 3 year program in highschool and got to meet people and become friends with people from all over the world....they were surprised to learn we don't just carry guns around.

Most people know gun safety and use it for the right reasons. But there's always going to be those people who use something for the wrong reasons.

As for using it for sport, I think this is a good example

Advertising

Trotsky

Trotsky

• 29,585 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,818 rep

Something caught my eye a couple of days ago, there is currently a petition in the House of Commons here to get over 800 old English laws scrapped (for example, it is still legal to shoot a Welshman with a longbow in Chester on a Saturday), we are amending some of our outdated ideas.

Would it be unfeasible for America to amend it's constitution (big style)?

I am sure despite that law being on the books, anyone who actually shot a Welshman with a longbow in Chester on a Saturday today would still be arrested for this crime and have not a chance in hell of using that law as their defense, no?

There are lots of old laws on the books that have faded out of use whereas taking them off the books is really just bureaucratic symbolism. Like Ben said, our constitution guarantees a trial by jury for any lawsuits contesting more than $20, but no one ever invokes that. A lot of US states still have sodomy laws on the books, removing them can be a way for a legislature to appeal to civilized people who aren't nutcases, but whether or not they're removed it doesn't matter, Lawrence v. Texas invalidated all of them.

You are still missing something - Americans tend to like our guns. It would be hard to amend the constitution to abolish the seventh amendment, because the seventh is never invoked and no one particularly cares about it, to formally strike it in the arduous process of states ratifying amendments would be seen as a great waste of time. But to abolish the second Amendment would be even harder.

This isn't a matter of, "we all know this is a bad thing, but the constitution says it has to be this way so what can you do?" The vast majority of Americans support the right to own handguns in some capacity, even in a well regulated way as I do. It is politically impossible for a gun ban similar to the UK's to ever even leave committee in the USA.

Reagan

Reagan
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2011
  • 312 rep

I think there just need to be better, stricter regulations. I have no problem with people owning guns if they get the proper background checks and are certified to keep the guns in a safe, secure environment, but the ease with which you can buy automatic weapons is astounding, and lots of people just leave them lying around the house, or in a drawer or something.

Wow I'm late getting into this debate, but this subject interests me.
I agree with this . ^
I have a dad who is Team Leader for the US Olympic Shooting team and I'm pretty used to hearing about guns a lot haha. I think guns should definitely not be banned because of sports. You know, clay pigeon shooting, hunting, etc..
When it comes to self defense I definitely don't believe that if someone comes on your property you can just shoot them if you don't want them there. A couple years back there was this story in the newspaper about a guy who lived a few miles away who shot a kid for coming in his yard on Halloween.
To me, that's idiotc.
But let's say that a murderer is in my house, about to attack me. I know how to shoot a gun. If I need to shoot the person in the leg so they can't move as quickly I'm most likely going to.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Debate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users