Who's St. Jimmy?

DannyDirnt

I always thought Jimmy was that little devil on cartoon characters shoulders, JOS gives in to his "devil" and leads a path of drugs and destruction Jesus then overcomes his weakness for Jimmy thus "killing" him.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think St Kimmy is the man, who is in every one of us.. Hard to explain what I thinknof...

Wow,American Idiot interpretations! I may try to look at the lyrics of every AI song and relate them all,making an interpretation of the whole album :D

Wow,American Idiot interpretations! I may try to look at the lyrics of every AI song and relate them all,making an interpretation of the whole album :D

I've already done that. Outcome: 10 pages of American Idiot lyric interpretations and various story forms.

I'm the AI Master :lol: I've literally scrutinized every freaking detail of every lyric, image and version of this album.

everyone has his own interpretation of who st. jimmy is. i never really cared about it, when i'm listening to AI i just kick off my shoes, put my feet up, lean back and enjoy the melodies :D

I think St Kimmy is the man, who is in every one of us.. Hard to explain what I thinknof...

maybe a self-destroying part of us?

I've been told by a relatively wise man that saint is a title you attain after death, which means no saints are alive.

Just listen to the album and read the lyrics.

And a Sait should be good lol

BTW maybe Jimmy is that part of us that tried to control us in teen years,y'know,when you get weird things in your personality.That part of you that makes you wish someone shut up,or that part that makes you shout at someone,or just get mad at that person for any stupid thing.

I always thought Jimmy was the alter-ego of Jesus, the "bad guy". But I find weird that even being the same person, St Jimmy doesn't seem to love Whatsername...

I think he's still a mistery.

I always thought Jimmy was the alter-ego of Jesus, the "bad guy". But I find weird that even being the same person, St Jimmy doesn't love Whatsername...

I think he's still a mistery.

That can go with my theory too.Maybe Jimmy is just that part mentioned above,and then he doesn't love anyone.Maybe all or his emotions are bad,and all he can give you is bad things with bad consequences.

I think Saint Jimmy and Whatsername are the exact opposite and each other's nemesis. Whoo.

My interpretation, influenced by other interpretations I've heard/read

• AI sets the mood for the record, talks about some issues in America that JOS sees in America, the media and himself.
  • JoS introduces the main character of the album and ends with him leaving home.
  • Holiday is when JOS left home, he decided he wants to do something about all of this, he's excited about it.
  • BoBD is when the initial rush of excitement in Holiday has passed and JoS feels like he's alone and can't do much about it.
  • AWtW continues describing the same feeling as in BoBD, he's waiting for a change but it's not coming.
  • St. Jimmy is when JoS decides if nothing is going to change for him, he will change himself. He makes up an alter-ego, he'll be a rebel.
  • Novacaine describes JoS completely giving in to the wills of his alter ego, he throws his old self away completely
  • She's a Rebel introduces Whatshername as JoS/Jimmy meets her. She's a true rebel, everything JoS wants Jimmy to be.
  • Extraordinary Girl continues to describe Whatshername and why she's different from Jimmy.
  • Letterbomb is an angry letter from Whatshername to Jimmy, she understands he's not a real rebel like her, she leaves.
  • Wake Me Up When September Ends is Jimmy slowly becoming JoS again and remembering his old life.
  • Homecoming is JoS breaking free from his Jimmy personality, killing Jimmy off, and going home again
  • Whatshername is JoS remembering his time as Jimmy with Whatshername.

I'm super interested in other people's interpretations of both AI and 21CB.

Are there topics someone could refer me to? If not we could create one because I'd love to read more about what other people read into the lyrics.

Especially for 21CB I struggle to understand the meaning of the album, probably partly because I don't have the perspective of an American.

Especially for 21CB I struggle to understand the meaning of the album, probably partly because I don't have the perspective of an American.

21stCB is much different. While AI focuses on a story that keeps evolving, 21st CB shows the evolution of Christian and Gloria's characters mostly. It's not so much about facts (them going to or leaving a place) but how they get self-destructive, how Gloria is a junkie and tries to get over it, and shows much more many messages about the modern society that American Idiot.

I feel we're slightly off-topic though :lol:

I think that Saint Jimmy is the dark part in everyones personnality, you know like the little devil that appears in cartoons when a charater was to make a decision and he can't decide between doing good or evil.

St Jimmy is most of all your own interpretation of "bad temptations" or a "bad influence"

Archived