Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Voting has started in the Karaoke Contest. Listen to the entries and vote for your favorite.

Photo

Polygamy

Debate

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Brigister

Brigister
  • I'm a mess and you're a work of art

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,541 posts
  • Joined Aug 30, 2011
  • 1,192 rep

Uhm, yes it is? To me, supporting polygamous relationships means you are okay with your spouse having multiple partners. Well, I'm certainly not.

Well you can be cool with other people being polygamous but at the same time not want your spouse to have multiple partners. I think that counts as supporting polygamy.

Rita

Rita
  • Just a Girl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,452 posts
  • Joined Apr 14, 2007
  • 543 rep

But you could still be in a monogamous relationship while supporting the fact that other people should be able to have polygamous relationships if they want to. It doesn't mean that you have to be involved in a polygamous relationship yourself.

For me, I could never be with more than one person at once. But if that's what other people like and they can make it work, then more power to them.

Well you can be cool with other people being polygamous but at the same time not want your spouse to have multiple partners. I think that counts as supporting polygamy.

Oh I get what you two are saying. :) I'm fine with other people being polygamous, but just imagine that your future spouse will end up being one as well. Would you be okay with them marrying someone else? I know I wouldn't, and that's the point I was trying to make. Of course it's all good when it comes to anyone else.

Brigister

Brigister
  • I'm a mess and you're a work of art

• 4,541 posts
  • Joined Aug 30, 2011
  • 1,192 rep

Oh I get what you two are saying. http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/... I'm fine with other people being polygamous, but just imagine that your future spouse will end up being one as well. Would you be okay with them marrying someone else? I know I wouldn't, and that's the point I was trying to make. Of course it's all good when it comes to anyone else.

That's my point too :) I'd be okay with everyone else being polygamous, just as long as polygamy doesn't involve me.

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Merry Christmas, ya filthy animal

• 14,930 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,880 rep

Oh I get what you two are saying. http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/... I'm fine with other people being polygamous, but just imagine that your future spouse will end up being one as well. Would you be okay with them marrying someone else? I know I wouldn't, and that's the point I was trying to make. Of course it's all good when it comes to anyone else.

Ah, cool. Yeah, I couldn't be in a polygamous relationship either.
But if I was ever in a relationship with someone who could, then I'd make it clear that it wasn't something I wanted. And hopefully they'd respect the fact that I wouldn't be into polygamy myself. If they weren't fine with that, well...

E!!i

E!!i
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts
  • Joined Jul 27, 2009
  • 136 rep
I think the one thing hasn't to do something with the other but of course both should be legal. If gays wanna marry or more people than two wanna marry eachother it doesn't matter and our world should be free to do that.

tabbycat1596

tabbycat1596
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2012
  • 267 rep
I guess they should be able to do what they want if it doesn't bother me, but should there be a limit? When is enough enough?
Sure, let them have their four wives or so, but what if they want to get up to 10, 15, or 20 wives? It could lead up to someone building their own sort of modern harem.

Rosie May

Rosie May
  • Positively Pessimistic

• 4,741 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2007
  • 1,720 rep
I think there's a difference between polgamy between a group of people who all enjoy being in a polygamus relationship and a relationship where someone feels they have to share their spose with others but don't neccsarily want to. I don't have a problem with the first group, I do have a problem with the second. To be honest, I don't really see the point in marrying loads of people, it sounds like it would be overly complicated and confusing. If they can have a relationship woith one another then why do they need to be married? I suppose that's just my own opinion though, I don't personally see the point or appeal of marraige at all apart from it making legal issues and all that sort of stuff easier. /shrug.

Marlee

Marlee
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 546 rep
I honestly think the slippery slope fallacy has been so over used in debates and arguments. I don't see a link between the two, so I don't think they can be debated as the same thing.

I don't think I should have an opinion over if a man can have more than one wife, or a wife can have more than one husband. ONLY as long as all the parties involved are of legal consenting age, I don't really care. I believe adults should be allowed to be in whatever relationship they so please. What I don't agree with is the marriages with multiple wives, and they are as young as 12.
People like Warren Jeffs, who believe it is their religious right to have multiple wives. That doesn't bother me. What does is the fact that 2 of his wives were 12 and 15.

I'm divided on the issue. I think adults should be free to live whatever alternative lifestyle they so please, whether that means one partner of the same sex, opposite sex, or multiple partners. But when it comes to multiple spouses, and some of them are as young as 12, then I have an issue with it.

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,582 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,801 rep

I'm divided on the issue. I think adults should be free to live whatever alternative lifestyle they so please, whether that means one partner of the same sex, opposite sex, or multiple partners. But when it comes to multiple spouses, and some of them are as young as 12, then I have an issue with it.

Well that's just a sad reflection of the state of things, there is no real difference between someone who rapes a 12 year old girl on the streets of a city and someone who rapes a 12 year old girl on a secluded ranch with a white painted steeple, but if someone wants to justify sexual assault on a child via whatever inane myths about talking snakes and vengeful desert gods they partake in, suddenly everyone is more concerned about their 'religious liberty' than the welfare of the victim.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Debate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users