pasalaska

Song of the Week this week is the sombre Rotting, originally released in 1997 as a b-side to the Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) single, but better known as track 11 off 2002’s b-side compilation album Shenanigans.

Looking at the lyrics, it’s unclear whether the narrator of Rotting is actually physically dying, or if they’re just at such an emotional low that it feels like they’re falling apart and “rotting inside”. Billie’s unusually low pitch in Rotting just adds to the dark, sombre lyrical content of the song. Musically however, Rotting gives off a lazy, surf-rock (not dissimilar to Last Ride In) sort of feel, which somehow doesn’t quite gel with the mood of the lyrics and vocals of the song.

Sadly there doesn’t appear to be any live recordings of Rotting out there, so here’s the studio version for your listening pleasure:

Lyrics:

I'm rotting inside

My flesh turns to dust

Whisper “are you dying?” in my ear

I'm so sick to death

Tumours in my head

Black rose of death

In my fist I clutch

Thorns shred my finger tips

And drips toxic blood

Kiss me one last time

Wipe off my sweat

As my bones they rust

Read vows of trust

Black rose of death

In my fist I clutch

Thorns shred my finger tips

And drips toxic blood

I'm rotting inside

My flesh turns to dust

Kiss me one last time

Wipe off my sweat

*********************************************************************************************************

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the SotW Nominations and Archive thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week in its first post.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, not the biggest fan of this song, it just makes me sad :/

Even though I don't really like these lyrics, the melody of this song is just too awesome not to love it! :lol:

Everything is perfect in this song, in the way that is named "Rotting", Billie Joe actually sings like if he were dying and the lyric is so depressing... for that is not of my favorites but I really enjoy the melody, it's beautiful.

Decribes my life so much right now.

I love this song, it's probably one of my favorite Green Day songs!

I want to say something cool and interpret the lyrics like a damn analyst, but pasalaska, you did a pretty good job about it. ._.

Thanks for taking my request, though :3

This song could have been really good, but I feel like something is missing. I can't seem to figure out what though.

Great song, I love how Billie's voice sounds in it. And as with every Green Day song, the melody is awesome.

I REALLY love this song. The lyrics, the way he sings it, the melody, EVERYTHING.

This song always make me sad, I like it but at the end I always end up thinking "Would somebody hold me and whisper me if I was so close to death?" I don't know why I think that, but it's always happened to me.

Such a great song. The lyrics seem so deep to me and the melody is gorgeous, I love it.

I must say, this isn't one of my favourites. I think it might have something to do with Billie Joe's voice in this song, I'm just not used to him singing as low. I think it IS a pretty interesting track though, since both Billie Joe's singing and the instrumental music seem pretty different from what Green Day was doing around that time.

I like Billie's deep vocals on this song, and the actual music though I don't listen to this that much.

Hmmm... not completely crazy about this song. Very dark. Very different from what I'm used to hearing from Green Day, even from their slow songs. I guess my problem with this song is that I feel nothing. The lyrics are so morbid, yet the music doesn't really show that emotion I'm used to hearing from a Green Day song, where every element is in sync, so it leaves me feeling empty and unemotional and indifferent to it. Not one of their best.

This is a cool song. Billie's voice is interesting, he doesn't usually sing that low. The melody and everything is just beautiful. It's always been a favorite of mine on guitar. I love that intro :wub:

It took me a while to like this song, and hell, all of Shenanigans. Its just an album I didnt have much interest in until like a couple months ago. Good song though, not my favorite, but good song.

This song could have been really good, but I feel like something is missing. I can't seem to figure out what though.

I think its missing the hard rocking chorus that we are used to hearing. Like in Whatsername, its all soft, but once the chorus hits, the song is at full rock. You can also say this for songs like Last of the American Girls and Prosthetic Head.

I love this song just so much. Really helped me through a lot of hard times.

I think its missing the hard rocking chorus that we are used to hearing. Like in Whatsername, its all soft, but once the chorus hits, the song is at full rock. You can also say this for songs like Last of the American Girls and Prosthetic Head.

Yes. I think that pretty much could be it.

Yes. I think that pretty much could be it.

The song is a slow, deep, rocking monotone. What I mean by that is you can hear songs like Macy's Day Parade and Last Night On Earth and the chords are simple and repetitive throughout. But the song just doesnt have the transition from those dark verses to the rocking chorus were used to.

I've always felt this song seemed a bit out of place for GD. Billie is an amazing lyricist but for me these lyrics leave a lot to be desired. I especially dislike the "black rose of death" line. It feels a bit cheesy. That being said, I have always enjoyed the sound of the songso I do listen to it, I just sort of ignore the lyrics.

Archived