pasalaska

Song of the Week this week is the self-loathing Jinx, 11th track off Green Day’s eclectic 5th studio, Nimrod, released in 1997.

Jinx’s lyrics describe a relationship where one person feels as if they’re dragging the other down with them with their constant “fucking up” and “bad luck”. Despite the negativity however, there’s no doubt that it’s a loving relationship – the ‘Jinx’ is pushing his partner away to protect them from the “regrets and bad luck” “rubbing off”, saying that although he’s her “long lost love”, he’s also her “nemesis”. There’s no true chorus in Jinx, instead it’s structured and flows more like a written letter or note, with the last line “I'm a curse hanging around you” a final warning and summation of everything that’s been said. Billie Joe tweeted in February of last year that “A lot of songs became about drinking and lifes pressure around nimrod era. I was feeling a vague person in 1997”, which explains some of Jinx’s sombre lyrics. Finally, the “1, 2, 3, 4” at the beginning of the song is also pretty rad.

This week’s video is the album version of Jinx as I couldn’t find a live version on youtube. Sadface.

Lyrics:

I fucked up again it's all my fault

So turn me around and face the wall

Read me my rights and tell me I'm wrong

Until it gets into my thick skull

A slap on the wrist

A stab in the back

Torture me, I've been a bad boy

Nail me to the cross until you have won

I lost before I did any wrong

I'm hexed with regrets and bad luck

Keep your distance 'cause it's rubbing off

Or you will be damned to spend your life in hell

Or earth with me tangled at your feet

You finally met you nemesis

Disguised as your fatal long lost love

So kiss it goodbye

Until death do we part

You fell for a jinx for crying out loud

I'm a curse hanging around you

*********************************************************************************************************

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the SotW Nominations and Archive thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week in its first post.

Great choice! I really like this song. It's one if these ones where you're immediately into it in my opinion.

Aw JINX! :woot: I really love it :wub: I love how the music and the melody make the look lyrics something not so bad, 'cause is not precisely a "love song". And I also love the "1, 2, 3!" on the beginning and the "prrrrrrwooooh" at the end :lol:

It's one of the best from Nimrod.

I dislike this song very much. :rolleyes:

I KID. This is my favorite Green Day song.

This song really describes me.

Especially this:

"I'm hexed with regrets and bad luck

Keep your distance 'cause it's rubbing off

Or you will be damned to spend your life in hell

Or earth with me tangled at your feet"

If I'm ever going to see Green Day live, I will fucking request this song. I NEED TO HEAR IT LIVE! D:

I love this song, i mean my Slave :3 lol jk i love this song! it goes into Haushinka so smoothly =D

Haha came on my iPod just as I was about to start typing!!

Anyways, great song. I love the way it goes into Haushinka. Sometimes I think I really am a jinx in life.

A few days ago I was listening to it during the maths lesson. I put my I-pod on shuffle and I wasn't expecting it, so when I heard the 1-2-3-4 I jumped on my chair and dropped my books and pencil case on the floor. When I realized everybody was watching me I was like

r217br.jpg

Best maths lesson (and poker face) of my life.

Love Jinx so much!

I love this song, i mean my Slave :3 lol jk i love this song! it goes into Haushinka so smoothly =D

Slave<3

Oh wow, I love this song. one of my favorites besides Haushinka. Definitely a great choice! :happy:

i love the transition into haushinka and how those songs fit perfectly together :)

it makes me sad that they never play those two songs live...

ahh, very very very nice song! Especially i love the intro "one-two-three" and hard guitars after it!

Jinx is a great song, and like everyone has said, it flows into Haushinka very nicely indeed :lol: i find that if I dont know what Green Day song to play, i always come to Jinx. Ehh, I dont really know why. :P

YEEEESSSSSSS

Good good GOOOD song.

"I'm a curse hanging around youuuu"

and then it leads into Haushinka...perfection.

Definitely one of my favorite songs off the album, and I know I say that a lot with Nimrod, because the whole album is fucking fantastic, but this one holds a special place in my heart. A completely underrated song, in my opinion, and it really speaks to the self-deprecating soul that I connected with at a stressful time in my life. Nothing helps you appreciate the song more than walking alone down the sidewalk, with no particular immediate destination in mind, and just hating life and the circumstances you've been put in. I know the song is referring to or talking directly to the lover, but I think a large part is the personification of self-loathing.

Awesome choice for SOTW, as always. xoxo.

• 1 month later...

my third favourite song ever, first and second are Panic Song and Stuck With Me. :wub: :wub: :wub:

Archived