Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Organ Donation: Opt In or Opt Out?

Debate

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

captain peroxide

captain peroxide
  • Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,770 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,390 rep
Yeah, I figured it would. Creeps me out a bit too, but we need to rise above that as a reason for why not to do something that makes a lot of practical sense. "It's creepy" is not an answer.

Frank's Penis

Frank's Penis
  • <3 ∞

• 9,032 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2006
  • 1,204 rep
Pretty much everything's been said. I think it should be opt-out.

While there's plenty of people who I'd hate to think of having my organs, I'd like an organ to be there if I needed one, so I'm a donor. Individual morals really can't come into it. People are genetically predisposed to addiction - there should be more support available for alcoholics, drug users and people with eating disorders to prevent future health problems, they shouldn't just be condemned to death. I'd rather see my organs go to an obese smackhead with a heart of gold than a straight-edge neo-Nazi, but I'd happily take the Nazi's liver.

Autonomy over your own body is irrelevant for corpses, but opt-out still gives you the right to be religious wormfood/a jar of dust. Opt-in is impractical because you might not even think about it before you die. If someone is adamant that their body remains however intact it was when they died due to religious/cultural reasons then I'm sure they'd make this known pretty early on, but most people don't want to think about themselves/their kids dying so don't get round to applying as a donor.

Vesper

Vesper
  • Sand Snake

• 17,788 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,493 rep

Yeah, I figured it would. Creeps me out a bit too, but we need to rise above that as a reason for why not to do something that makes a lot of practical sense. "It's creepy" is not an answer.

Quite. My dad's got an artificial hip, I just don't like the idea that I might end up with it when I eventually keel over with crap hips.

Frank's Penis

Frank's Penis
  • <3 ∞

• 9,032 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2006
  • 1,204 rep
^ It strikes me as unlikely that you'd have the same sized hips. But that would be awesome, like a family heirloom.
  • Yussef and Emilie. like this

Vesper

Vesper
  • Sand Snake

• 17,788 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,493 rep

^ It strikes me as unlikely that you'd have the same sized hips. But that would be awesome, like a family heirloom.

Yeah I know. It wouldn't feasibly happen but still *shudder*

anarchistgirlscout

anarchistgirlscout
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Joined Apr 25, 2011
  • 149 rep
I know someone who died before she thought she would (terrible motorcycle accident - not her fault even). In Florida, we have opt-in for organ donation. It is weird because it used to be a real pain to opt in (when I was, like 13-ish years old). Anyway, they'd just made it simpler, and she was planning to register as an organ donor. She died, and her organs were not harvested. I thought about her when I got my license and registered to be an organ donor. If you're planning to do it, do it. You never know . . .
Also, on a kind-of-related note, I'd encourage people to give blood. It's easy for most people, and it really does help. My little sister had a rare condition when she was younger and needed several transfusions. Without blood donors, she wouldn't have survived.

captain peroxide

captain peroxide

• 15,770 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,390 rep
One of my biggest frustrations is that I can't give blood in this country.

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,606 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,306 rep
Quite frankly I find it barbaric that an out out system doesn't exist yet. It is obviously a good idea. I'm not a fan of giving blood while alive, but if I die, harvest away!

Smoothed Out

Smoothed Out
  • idjit

• 7,277 posts
  • Joined Sep 30, 2009
  • 292 rep
Wow, this is weird. I'm gathering my evidence and reasoning for my case on this subject in debating society at college at the moment, and jsyk I'm proposing the opt out system. Being on the organ donor register myself, I cannot see any reason why anyone who can would not be willing to donate. Religious aspects I can understand, apart from the fact all major religions support donation as an act of charity and kindness even Jehovah's Witnesses as long as the organs are drained of blood before being transplanted. There are only a few smaller religions such as Romany Gypsies who are `forbidden` to donate. For me, I find it a great comfort knowing that after I'm gone my family can live with the fact that through my death I saved others who's time would be cut unnecessarily short without my organs. Thinking that I could allow a mother to see her children again because of my corneas or a child live a normal childhood without worry or hospital visits, makes me no longer scared of my death but accepting.

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit
  • "ben's actually a giant teddy bear" -Lone

• 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,643 rep

Fuck it, re-use those too. They have a much better shelf-life than organic matter, and steel / plastic are finite resources.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sp-VFBbjpE

Vesper

Vesper
  • Sand Snake

• 17,788 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,493 rep

One of my biggest frustrations is that I can't give blood in this country.

Why can't you? Is it something to do with where you've been/come from?

I gave blood once. Couldn't do again because I kept punching holes in my face and they have a four months waiting period after you've had a piercing done. I fully intend to start doing it again once I get back.

captain peroxide

captain peroxide

• 15,770 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,390 rep
They don't let anyone give blood in the US if they lived in the UK during the 90s, because of mad cow disease. Apparently the incubation period is something like twenty years, so they don't want to take the risk.

Dylan.

Dylan.
  • And Don't You Fucking Wear It Out

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,844 posts
  • Joined Sep 08, 2007
  • 573 rep

They don't let anyone give blood in the US if they lived in the UK during the 90s, because of mad cow disease. Apparently the incubation period is something like twenty years, so they don't want to take the risk.

So they can't tell if you have it, even if they tested you for it?

captain peroxide

captain peroxide

• 15,770 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,390 rep
Apparently, the protein markers that distinguish it aren't very easy to discern. It can be done, but it takes a while, and a lot of specialized equipment, so there's basically no quick, cost-effective test to see if you're a carrier or not.

GreenDayisAmazing

GreenDayisAmazing
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • Joined Mar 22, 2010
  • 110 rep
I need to go and register to donate my organ I thought I had done it when I got my license, but I guess not. I don’t know if anyone here knows, but last year in AZ the representative in AZ, Gabrielle Gifford’s was shot along with 18 other people. The little girl Christina, who was 9 that died donated her organs and ended up helping some people. Her parents said they had always talked about donating organs if something were to even happen and Christina wanted to.

Advertising

Vesper

Vesper
  • Sand Snake

• 17,788 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,493 rep

You lived in the UK? Cool beans.

Sleeper Agent.

Sleeper Agent.
  • Beware of the depths

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,679 posts
  • Joined Apr 02, 2011
  • 2,442 rep
i would only give my organs if i was going to die due to some non-organ related dead e.g a car accident or some injury and my organs survived more or less intact and could be used

captain peroxide

captain peroxide

• 15,770 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,390 rep

You lived in the UK? Cool beans.

I'm from the UK, dear.

i would only give my organs if i was going to die due to some non-organ related dead e.g a car accident or some injury and my organs survived more or less intact and could be used

Well duh. They have no use for organs that aren't intact, that's kind of a given.

Vesper

Vesper
  • Sand Snake

• 17,788 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,493 rep

I'm from the UK, dear.

That's awesome. Where abouts?

Ally

Ally
  • Nothing left to analyse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,720 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2008
  • 91 rep
I've opted in to donate organs...apart from my eyes, i feel weird about donating my eyes. They can have everything else thoug, after all, when i'm dead they will be no use to me!

captain peroxide

captain peroxide

• 15,770 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,390 rep

That's awesome. Where abouts?

London, pretty much :)
  • Vesper likes this

Dai.

Dai.
  • Sleepwalking

• 22,284 posts
  • Joined Mar 01, 2006
  • 3,621 rep

I'm from the UK, dear.

oooooh i am alex and i am english blah blah blah
  • captain peroxide and Tre's Busted Drumkit like this

spark in the night

spark in the night
  • ◊∴◊ 400⋅LUX ◊∴◊

• 29,898 posts
  • Joined Jul 15, 2005
  • 2,990 rep
I'm a registered donor.

I am a healthy person. My organs could save someone's life.

Why let them waste in a coffin underground?
  • whatsup? likes this

missminority182

missminority182
  • it ends here tonight.

• 7,957 posts
  • Joined Dec 06, 2011
  • 1,636 rep

In California (not sure about other states), we register at the DMV if we want to be an organ donor, and we get a little pink "DONOR" circle on our drivers' licenses/ID's to where if something happens to us, it's in the system. I didn't register when I was 18 because I was kind of spooked out on it. I've recently changed my stance on it because I'm O- (a universal blood donor, I assume that it helps with organ donations) and because it would be a good way to help someone continue living when I no longer can. Unfortunately, I haven't been to the DMV in quite some time, and have been putting off trying to find out how to do it online, so I'm not registered as of yet.

I don't think that it should be universal to re-use organs for transplants. People have their beliefs and I don't want anybody to fuck with something like that. It's their bodies, they can do whatever they like to them.

In Pennsylvania, we also get asked when visiting the DMV if we wanted to become organ donors. i signed up, since god forbid something serious happened to me where i died, i'd give my organs to who need them .

Marlee

Marlee
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 546 rep
Personally, I don't have a problem with donating my organs, but it's my opinion. I do hate the idea of someone forcing/ telling someone what they can or cannot do to their own body. So using that logic, it would seem like I would side with those who want to opt out, but I am unsure.

It's quite a tough decision to make because I am extremely uninformed about this whole debate so I will need to read and research more on this subject.

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,142 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,140 rep

oooooh i am alex and i am english blah blah blah

Do you two ever argue over the Falklands War? :P

*yes, that's a joke*

captain peroxide

captain peroxide

• 15,770 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,390 rep
Hah, I've never brought it up. I don't think most Argentinians care all that much, just like most Brits don't. It's more of a pissing contest between our two governments.

Vesper

Vesper
  • Sand Snake

• 17,788 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,493 rep

Hah, I've never brought it up. I don't think most Argentinians care all that much, just like most Brits don't. It's more of a pissing contest between our two governments.

What do you mean most Brits don't care?!?! :angry WE ARE THE BEST NATION IN THE WORLD AND USED TO HAVE AN EMPIRE UPON WHICH THE SUN NEVER SET. *RULE BRITANNIA, BRITANNIA RULES THE... bla bla bla. :P*

What utter bullshit.
  • captain peroxide likes this

Shoot That Fucker Down

Shoot That Fucker Down
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts
  • Joined Oct 03, 2005
  • 660 rep

What do you mean most Brits don't care?!?! http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/... WE ARE THE BEST NATION IN THE WORLD AND USED TO HAVE AN EMPIRE UPON WHICH THE SUN NEVER SET. *RULE BRITANNIA, BRITANNIA RULES THE... bla bla bla. http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/...*

What utter bullshit.

In my experience, every fight I've ever gotten into with someone from the UK has always ended in them being a total douche and me yelling at the wall. I wish you, the Australians, better luck.

captain peroxide

captain peroxide

• 15,770 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,390 rep

In my experience, every fight I've ever gotten into with someone from the UK has always ended in me yelling at the wall.

They throw you in jail?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Debate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users