Video 4 of Green Day in Studio "2/22"

petros

This is simply amazing, all of these videos they keep giving us. It's also really cool actually hearing Billie and Rob talk about the new album. It makes it seem that much closer and exciting. :D

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhhhh :woot: this the best video yet! And I'm so pumped knowing they're using Gretch guitars more. drool.

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to different guitar sounds. Can someone explain what the Gretsch sounds like versus whatever he's used to record more with in the past (Floyd)?

Also, does anyone have an example of Billie playing the gretsch live?

There won't be too much of a noticeable difference on a record because it gets mixed and mastered to sound nice, also the amp and pick-up is a whole lot more important than the actual guitar most of the time. Hollow body guitars (which a lot of Gretsch's are) have a little smooother nicer tone while on clean setting. If you plug a hollow body and a solid body into a big amp and crank the distortion however, you'll hardly notice a difference. The hollow body might be a bit thinner sound, less bassy, but honestly on a record you would be hard pressed to notice. To someone that isn't a guitar nut, you'll hardly be able to tell the difference, if at all. I would be much more interested to know if he's using say a Vox AC30 amp vs a Mesa Stack, then you would definitely be able to tell the difference.

Here's him playing one. You could get the same tone with a stratocaster or les paul if you wanted really, but if I had the money I'd also be playing a Gretsch instead because they're bad ass.

There won't be too much of a noticeable difference on a record because it gets mixed and mastered to sound nice, also the amp and pick-up is a whole lot more important than the actual guitar most of the time. Hollow body guitars (which a lot of Gretsch's are) have a little smooother nicer tone while on clean setting. If you plug a hollow body and a solid body into a big amp and crank the distortion however, you'll hardly notice a difference. The hollow body might be a bit thinner sound, less bassy, but honestly on a record you would be hard pressed to notice. To someone that isn't a guitar nut, you'll hardly be able to tell the difference, if at all. I would be much more interested to know if he's using say a Vox AC30 amp vs a Mesa Stack, then you would definitely be able to tell the difference.

Here's him playing one. You could get the same tone with a stratocaster or les paul if you wanted really, but if I had the money I'd also be playing a Gretsch instead because they're bad ass.

Thanks for the explanation. SO then, follow-up question... why are people so pumped about him using the Gretsch so much, if the audible difference is near negligible? Or is it a guitar nut thing that I don't need to understand...

Thanks for the explanation. SO then, follow-up question... why are people so pumped about him using the Gretsch so much, if the audible difference is near negligible? Or is it a guitar nut thing that I don't need to understand...

I guess it could be a sign of what the actual music is going to be like. If we saw some big tall modern amps, and a new Les Paul or Strat, I'd expect the music to be like modern rock, heavy full sound, riffs more like on the last two albums, and probably more electronics used on it, synths, effects etc.

Since he's using Gretsch (kind of more "vintage" classic type guitar), maybe we can expect the music to follow this style and be a more classic rock n roll type feel. Less distortion, scratchier sound, some more bluesy solos. However this is just guessing at this point. He could just be using all this vintage shit cos he thinks it looks cool, and through amp settings and mixing they'll make it sound like modern rock. Impossible to tell at this point haha.

Basically, if you saw two bands walk into the studio, one group with old Vox amps and old Gretsch's, then another band with new guitars with custom high output pick ups, and Mesa Rectifier stacks, you could make an assumption of what the sound would be like for both, and you would have a very different assumption for both. However assumptions can be wrong :P

Sorry that was probably confusing...I always start off with good thoughts but never translate it to text very well.

Another one! :woot: I can't believe it. It actually seems like they're planning to keep this up! Hopefully!

Oh I love this video! :woot: Excited! Awesome he's using Gretch guitars btw. I can't wait to hear more.

Cool there's a bit of audio with Rob and Billie talking, that made me feel like we can somehow follow the recording process. I already like this wait better than the one right before 21CB.. (:

This is so exciting! You can see another whiteboard in the background at 0:27, is anyone able to get a zoomed in version that we can read? :) It might give some more insight as to what songs are going to be on the album.

Who is speaking from 10 seconds to 13 seconds on the video. If I didn't know any better, I would swear that it was Lars Ulrich speaking. Maybe its lack of sleep but the voice has some accent and it doesnt resemble any of the Green Day guys, thats just what it sounds like to me. Maybe Green Day were showing some tracks to musical peers and getting their opinions on it? I could be very wrong though!!

Btw they ARE using vox amps! If you watch the first of these vids very carefully you can see one in the background :)

if you wanna get a feel for what billie does w/ those hollow bodies, check out the PHGP stuff from the last few years. its pretty much going to be in that direction, sonically....but polished up and mixed all nice n stuff.

It sounds great, what they're saying. Especially when Rob says "There's so much character in those songs that is going to get brought out, its going to be amazing."

I'm very looking forward to the album!!!

Who is speaking from 10 seconds to 13 seconds on the video. If I didn't know any better, I would swear that it was Lars Ulrich speaking. Maybe its lack of sleep but the voice has some accent and it doesnt resemble any of the Green Day guys, thats just what it sounds like to me. Maybe Green Day were showing some tracks to musical peers and getting their opinions on it? I could be very wrong though!!

I thought the same.. To me it sounds like Lars with a bit of James Hetfield in his laugh.. And I slept very well tonight, so it's not just your impression. But I don't really know who is actually speaking..

Well I do think that the hollowbody sound is really noticeable - provided they use the amps that compliment their sound (which they most probably will). Hollow body guitars are a little more pronounced, have a warmer tone, are less muddy. In rock set-ups they're often used together with a solid body guitar (which would be what Jason's playing) to make sure that it still sounds crunchy enough.

Either way, we'll hear the different vibe. Just like you can tell the difference between Billie Joe's Dookie-era stratocaster and his American Idiot-era les paul juniors.

Archived