Platypus (I Hate You)

pasalaska

This week’s Song of the Week is one of my all-time favourite Green Day songs, the spitting, hate-filled, profanity-laden Platypus (I Hate You), track 8 off 1997’s Nimrod, Green Day’s 5th studio album.

Billie Joe tweeted on February 17th of 2011 (and deleted the tweet a few hours later) “Platypus was written for tim yohanon. And i prey to god I misspelled his name. Rest in shit you fucking cunt”. Tim Yohannan (he did misspell his name) was a founder of 924 Gilman Street and Maximum Rocknroll magazine who openly ‘disliked’ (probably too light of a word) Green Day, a feeling that was clearly mutual from the band’s perspective. Yohannan died in 1998 of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, hence the 'I heard you're sick...' verse. If I remember correctly from books I’ve read, Yohannan believed that Green Day’s sound was far too pop for the punk scene, so it’s pretty ironic that one of the most straight-up-punk songs that the band has ever written was dedicated towards him and his demise.

This week’s video is from the Montreal stop of the 21st Century Breakdown Tour in 2010 – the first show Platypus had been played at since 2002. Tre’s reaction to Billie asking “how about Platypus?” was completely priceless, you can see him saying “really!?” and miming the opening to the song. Billie also gets the words hilariously completely wrong.

(video credit: xGeneralxS)

Lyrics:

Your rise and fall

Back up against the wall

What goes around is coming back and haunting you

It's time to quit

Cause you ain't worth the shit

Under my shoes or the piss on the ground

No one loves you and you know it

Don't pretend that you enjoy it or you don't care

Cause now I wouldn't lie or tell you all the things you want to hear

‘CAUSE I HATE YOU

‘CAUSE I HATE YOU

‘CAUSE I HATE YOU

‘CAUSE I HATE YOU

I heard you're sick

Sucked on that cancer stick

A throbbing tumour and a radiation high

Shit out of luck

And now your time is up

It brings me pleasure just to know you're going to die

‘CAUSE I HATE YOU

‘CAUSE I HATE YOU

‘CAUSE I HATE YOU

‘CAUSE I HATE YOU

Dickhead, fuckface, cock smoking, mother fucking,

Asshole, dirty twat, waste of semen, I hope you die HEY

Red eye, code blue

I'd like to strangle you

And watch your eyes bulge right out of your skull

When you go down

Head first into the ground

I'll stand above you just to piss on your grave

‘CAUSE I HATE YOU

‘CAUSE I HATE YOU

‘CAUSE I HATE YOU

‘CAUSE I HATE YOU

*********************************************************************************************************

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the SotW Nominations and Archive thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week in its first post.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As soon as I saw the topic I was sure you'd post the Montreal video. :lol: And a radiation high, and a radiation high, and a radiation high...

I seriously love this song. Especially for training. Nothing like this song and the whole Cheshire Cat album to practically fly on the treadmill. Also, when you're mad at someone. Albeit not very subtle lyrics, the song just gets to you. Whether you know the story behind it or not, it's something you can relate to almost immediately. Everyone's been terribly angry at someone in their lives.

Edit: Also, Tré's face.

This song kicks ass! But I never knew the story behind it. That's so interesting, but awesome choice for SOTW. I love how fast it is. It's probably one of the fastest songs Green Day has.

i love this song!! it's so perfect to listen to when you're pissed off at everyone and you just need a little hate.

Tre's face :lol:

I read the lyrics along with Billie singing... he messed up so much it was adorable <3

Ahh, that song was the highlight of my night and almost my whole tour...Platypus was the key to my release of teenage angst when I was younger. And...I'm not sure whether to feel indifferent, or to be thankful, that I don't have that level of hate in my life. I have hate, and I have anger and I have resentment...but Platypus is something else altogether.

Hah...I thought I was the coolest person alive when I had 'Platypus by Green Day is the best song ever written and describes my life perfectly!!!!1111!!!!111!!!' on my Myspace. I may have exaggerated with the exclamations, but I really did have that statement on there. Ah, fond memories.

Well, this is a valentine of sorts - a black-hearted, venomnous, shit-on-fire doorstep greeting card dedicated to the one you love to hate. Thing is, it's so fucking utterly gleeful in its letting of the poison that the glee overwhelms the loving, forensic detail of the revenge-fantasy, and it's all a merry little fuck-you dance of rage. This is what it's like when you let somebody get to you - there's a fucking reason, and the reason is in yourself.

:o there are actually coherent lyrics of platypus? :lol: just kidding, it's a great song, its aggressive and punchy i quite like it :P

Perfect choice for the St. Valentines Day! :shifty:

I love this song's aggressive way. Whenever I'm sick of somebody, I listen to it and it just helps a lot to let out my feelings and especially my rage and hate for a moment!

OOhh i love this song sooo much :lol: it is the best song to get rid of your anger

And And And

Such an Awsomee song for Valentine Day!!

Platypus is an amazing song and until they played it again in Montreal, I was sure that this was one of these songs that were gone forever. Here's another great video of a performance from San Diego. It's sad to see that only a few people seem to know this song :( You just can't stand there while this song gets played, you need to mosh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY76qcesTbY

Love it...

I always used to love this song (still do).... it fitted in well when I liked to pretend I was really hardcore. Now I just like it for the sentiment. :P

fantastic song - i dunno how Billie manages to get all the words out live, given the fast pace and the thrashing of the guitar, but i guess that's why he's the best!

So fucking appropriate right now. I hate you so much, my dear (not you adorable GDCers <3).

Great song. Everytime someone REALLY pisses me off, i just call them 'Platypus' and walk away leaving them confused.

I really love this song. It makes me feel like a total badass when I listen to it. I tend put it on when I'm pissed at someone; it's got a certain vibe about it that makes me wanna turn right the fuck back around and smash their face in.

This is the kind of song you show people when they say "Green Day never was punk," or something along those lines. The lyrics are edgy and controversial, with obsceneties flying this way and that.. and in a general sense, that's what punk is, right? If telling some guy you hate that they're a waste of semen and you hope they die in song isn't punk, then I'm not sure what is.

Nimrod is just one of those albums I like when I'm pissed, this song (and Take Back) especially - or if I just want to fuck some bitches up. Either way.

Platypus is an amazing song and until they played it again in Montreal, I was sure that this was one of these songs that were gone forever. Here's another great video of a performance from San Diego. It's sad to see that only a few people seem to know this song :( You just can't stand there while this song gets played, you need to mosh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY76qcesTbY

Agreed. I just hate this type of fans. they know for new stuff and older.. they just hang there and watch them. YOU SHOLUD BE SINGING AND JUMPUNG AROUND YOU DUBMASSES!!

Awesome song. Love the riffs too very 'angst'. One of those songs that has a special meaning to you for a reason no one else could understand.

Archived