Scattered Memories - taking entries for 1,000 hours, one to be featured on GDA!

greendaytone

Ah I love this project, it's great that you're giving us this possibility :woot:

Not a big fan of 1000 Hours though...I think I'll wait for another song :D

Nice one, really glad to see the members of GDC getting a shot at this :)

Will ye be taking entries for other songs? 1000 Hours isn't one I'd have alot to say about :P

Nice one, really glad to see the members of GDC getting a shot at this :)

Will ye be taking entries for other songs? 1000 Hours isn't one I'd have alot to say about :P

The plan is to open it out for 1 song off each album. I guess that could change, we'll see! :)

My favoirte part:

Our romance

is a love trance

and now we will never part...

1000 Hours is a dear song to me sense it is my boyfriends and I song. Even before we met each other this song spoke to me with the imagery of being loved by someone made everything seem just so good! But when i met my boyfriend, i didnt like him and he didnt like me. We used each other to get back at this terrible girl who was his ex and my ex best friend. We had no love and no care for each other it was just an act and a revenge plot. I told him we needed a song to make us more fake and in love. But there was a problem, i loved Green Day and it was mostly all i listened to (and still do too) and he...well he was Linkin Park..(NOT my favorite) so we couldnt ever decide on which to pick sense it was just back and forth with no comprimise. I showed him 1000 hours hoping it would spark something in his mind (fyi: he HATED green day at the time and every time i would talk about them we would fight or at least get bitter at each other) and he really enjoyed 1000 hours sense all we did was make out on his couch and thats about it, we didnt share thoughts much. We said all the "i love you's" but it didnt really mean much. But one day something terrible happened and we got in this HUGE fight that about ended us, but then he sent me the lyrics to 1000 hours and that was the first time he ever showed interest in it and we have been going out for 5 months at least. and then something changed. and every day we fell just a little bit more head over heels for each other. until summer vacation. He had to go to Utha for the summer while i was Kansas. It was our worst two months we have ever had with each other, and thats when he said that he doesnt want to hear anything about Green Day anymore. so I sent him 1000 hours. so he said, "i want you to turn me into a green day fan. I want to love you for real and I need to get inside your mind to do that." and thats when we fell in true love...we have been going out for 14 months now and with our love trance...we truly will never part...

Last year i moved away from my home in New Jersey for the first time to go to school in California. About two weeks before i left my best friend finally told me he liked me. It took me a few days, but right before i left i admitted to myself and to him that i also liked him. I left for California and kept contact with him, but i tried to put him out of my mind. I intended to live in Cali for a while and didn't want a long distance relationship. But our love for each other grew each day, solely communicating through the computer for hours a day. I knew i was only coming home for winter and spring break, so the time away from each other was long, slow and agonizing. I had a big countdown of days left before i would see him again, but that didn't help make the time any faster. While i was bored in class i would sometimes count the hours too. One day i figured out when i would only have 1000 hours left. The day there were only 1000 hours left i was so happy. Even though 1000 hours seems like a lot, after 6 months away from someone, only 41 days seems pretty short. Luckily this year he moved out to California with me so we could both pursue our musical dreams together. I don't need to count down for anything anymore, but any time i hear the song i think about how hard it was being with out him for a whole year. I am glad i waited for him.

Funny... if I do post about a 1,000 Hours it will have absolutely nothing to do with a relationship.... :P

I think Aska's post in the 1000 Hours SotW thread would be perfect for this.

Well thanks...

...I can't even remember what I said :ninja:

1,000 hours means my good ol' high school years. I have fond memories of playing this song over and over again and hoping one day a boy would dedicate/sing/play this song for me. It meant "true love" for me. This song is so erotic and sensual, I felt like my ears were too young to be listening to those words, haha. There's not one part that I love in this song. You can totally sense his love, wants, and needs in this song. The song is so simple, but makes a bold statement nonetheless. It's definitely one of my favorite songs of this album.

It's not very long... but it's the most I could do without feeling like I was waffling.

My entry:

A 1,000 Hours was the first Green Day song I ever heard from 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours. It was a live version of the song, bootlegged by my friend onto her iPod from a dodgy Internet site. Possibly not the best introduction to an album. I thought little of the throwaway listen and went on my way. It was only after I truly got into Green Day, about five years ago now, that I went back to discover their first studio album in its entirety.

I guess the thing that first struck me about this song was how sickly sweet it is. Many people probably disagree with me on that front and describe it as a beautiful love song. Perhaps, to some, it’s true. If they have special emotional ties to this song then in their eyes it would be deemed romantic. To me it represents a flash in time, a moment to be seized, not to be wasted. The lyrics talk of girl with whom Billie Joe’ll never part with and because we have the benefit of hindsight, we know that this isn’t true, hence cementing the above idea of the song describing moments that aren’t to be wasted.

With some songs, there is depth and layers to be pulled apart, different meanings to be interpreted from the lyrics. For this I think it’s pretty straightforward; a teenage romance where the boy thinks himself to be in love enough to believe that “they’ll never break as one too strong”. It is song where teenage feelings are raging, something we can probably all relate to. 1,000 Hours is about pure honesty of feeling, not caring if the world hears the sappy love song that’s been written to the person you adore. I don’t know about you, but if someone felt enough for me to write me a love song like that… I’d probably consider myself the luckiest girl alive.

I've written 3 pages in an open office document about me and my first love. Really reluctant to uploading it, I probably won't.

But the challenge to write about 1.000 Hours really opened a floodgate of teenage hormones and love.

The text longer than any text ever being posted on GDA before, at least I think so. So I'll try again next time, this just got a tad to personal! x)

My favorite part:

“Here’s this flower

I picked for all the hours

That you’ve spent with me.”

1,000 hours reminds me about (be careful, big surprise comes!) a girl. This girl was the first I really loved, so for me she is like the girl called Jennifer to Billie Joe.

In the beginning, we were just friends, but after some weeks, I started to feel more, but she didn’t want to get into a relationship with me because she put me into the “cute, kind boy” category (Nice Guys Finish Last. How true!), and because she thought that I was too young to her. I read somewhere that Billie had the same problem with Jennifer.

The lyrics of the song reminds me of an event of our story. It happened when I already loved her, but didn’t tell it. Once we drank some alcohol with her and a few friends of mine to celebrate our language exam. During this, we only talked to each other and she really acted like she also wants something. After this, I took her home and before we said goodbye, I hugged her. I thought she won’t hold me for too long, but she did, so we stood in this hug for minutes (of course, I didn’t want to let her go too). Those were the 1,000 seconds when I was the happiest man in the world. The 1,000 seconds that really made me feel the way that’s written down in this wonderful song. I also felt like this (just in a weaker way) in those hours when I was talking to her, listening to her or just watching her. Thanks for all those hours, B.!

zzolie the Redundant

P.S. Feel free to complain about my grammar mistakes :)

Call me a cynic but to me this song feels like a naive, premature love note fueled by lust and infatuation. I can picture a teenage couple holding hands and staring into each other's eyes thinking that their life is complete as long as the other person is there. Sure many of us have been there, so we know that while those feelings and relationships can help shape who we become, they usually aren't real or long lasting.

Sorry I'm not a big fan of the song (it's one of the few GD songs that I skip) but I still wanted to share my opinion.

Archived