Have you met Green Day?

greendaytodeathandback

Ah, yes. Hello.

Copy-paste from last year. Time: UK Leg of the Rev-Rad tour last year.

"I will (sadly) never be able to prove this but I just stood in the same room as Billie Joe, Mike, Tre, Jeff, Jeff, Jason and Sara and a few other Green Day posse.

My wonderful father works at the Triumph branch at Hinckley, and as a surprise to me took me there and they were visiting to see the bikes as Mike and Tre both own one and this Triumph factory is the only one in England. Sadly, as immobile, was not able to go on the tour around the factory but they hung around reception for a while. But my dad did.

He was accompanying a massive bald guy with tattoos covering his arm (Arturo the security dude now I know) talking to him about various projects and bikes. Tre was running around taking photos on all the bikes. Mike spoke to me briefly about his bikes. Tre said hi to me. I nearly died. Billie was tired. No photos were taken as they were about 2 hours late and had other things to do.

So, again no proof but if you see Mike/Tre posting pictures about bikes, I guess that's proof enough.

So happy! Bring on the rest of the tour!"

• Like 4

On 1/29/2017 at 6:44 PM, Clyngedal said:

Thanks!

And congrats to you as well. 
To be honest I don't remeber that much of the actual time on stage. It almost feels like one of those dreams that only last for 2 minutes, yet leave this big impact on you. Very weird feeling, but definetly awesome! :D I think I ran up the steps in front of  Tré before I got the microphone but I don't know why - I mean, he was busy playing drums x) 

My girlfriend tells me BJ kept notioning and telling me to "get down" :lol: I seriously never heard him say that! Haha! 

Funfact  for the gear-nerds: the vocal monitoring on stage was aboslutely terrible - because they all use in-ears monitors! I'm not complaining at all - I fell like I'm on top of the world still - but I think the band doesn't have a single monitor on stage! I could hear bass, drums and guitar alright, but the only vocal sound I could hear of myself was from the PA, which is in front and far above the stage :P 

I can totally relate. I met Billie backstage at the nyc show for the longshot and I said hi to Adrienne and opened the door to the hangout room for her.   talked to Bill Schneider told jeff the show was great. I'm still having moments of omg that really happened. I'm happy for you.

• Like 2

I've never met any of them, and probably never will. We waited outside the venue after the Longshot show but to no avail. I have this fantasy of meeting Billie  and telling him how his music has shaped my life in such a significant way, and then showing him my Green Day tattoo... The reality is I'd probably just stand there like an idiot, say nothing to him, cry and/or vomit, and then kick myself for the rest of my life for ruining the opportunity haha.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, R_Z-Log said:

I've never met any of them, and probably never will. We waited outside the venue after the Longshot show but to no avail. I have this fantasy of meeting Billie  and telling him how his music has shaped my life in such a significant way, and then showing him my Green Day tattoo... The reality is I'd probably just stand there like an idiot, say nothing to him, cry and/or vomit, and then kick myself for the rest of my life for ruining the opportunity haha.

I can tell you from experience the latter will happen😀😩

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, R_Z-Log said:

That’s pretty much what I did 😂 No matter how prepared you think you’ll be all thoughts will go right out the window in that moment.

But it makes me sad to hear people say they probably will never meet him. Never say never. After the RevRad tour I thought it was going to be at least 2-3 years before I’d see Billie perform again. If you would have told me then that a mere nine months later I would not only see him twice from the front row but meet him as well, I would have bet large sums of money against that happening. Life is weird you just never know.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BraedonHorbacio said:

When The Longshot was playing in Toronto we saw Billie Joe & some of the band outside their hotel (it was right across from our apartment) and ended up playing a Motown-style cover of "The Last Time" for them. Billie Joe asked if he could film it and then put it on his Insta about a half hour later. It was nuts! So happy we got it on video. This is it if anyone is interested - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOE-3974fL4

Yup. That video went all over at the time. You guys were great! 👏

Oh man, what I'd give to meet Billie! I don't know how I'd react. Probably cry, or just be completely speechless. I've imagined it so many times, but I know that it wouldn't go anything like what I have in my head. I also doubt that I will ever meet him. I'd love to! But it's very unlikely. If I did meet him, I feel like it wouldn't be for long enough. What I really want is to get to know him, which is totally unrealistic and something I'm sure we all would want.

People who have met him, here are some questions for you: What was the aftermath like? Do you feel like the rest of life is kind of pointless now because you met him and probably won't ever get to again? Do you have any regrets for something you said or didn't say? Did it feel like it could never have been a long enough time?

I'm just curious. Those are some of the things I think about because that's the kind of person I am. I have trouble living in the moment and my memories of things emphasize the bad rather than the joy and the good.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Green Day In Seattle said:

Oh man, what I'd give to meet Billie! I don't know how I'd react. Probably cry, or just be completely speechless. I've imagined it so many times, but I know that it wouldn't go anything like what I have in my head. I also doubt that I will ever meet him. I'd love to! But it's very unlikely. If I did meet him, I feel like it wouldn't be for long enough. What I really want is to get to know him, which is totally unrealistic and something I'm sure we all would want.

People who have met him, here are some questions for you: What was the aftermath like? Do you feel like the rest of life is kind of pointless now because you met him an probably won't ever get to again? Do you have any regrets for something you said or didn't say? Did it feel like it could never have been a long enough time?

I'm just curious. Those are some of the things I think about because that's the kind of person I am. I have trouble living in the moment and my memories of things emphasize the bad rather than the joy and the good.

Never say never🤗 I honest to god never thought since I was 9 that I was going to meet this guy my first, love/music idol/special guy let alone be in the same room with him for 27 dollars lol. I stood next to him and we made eye contact. And he smiled I tapped him on the shoulder and I told him I was happy to be there. It was like the whole world stopped. I was so present. It did not hit me till after the concert. The next day I felt like if I died I would not have cared lol. And it was enough because he did this tour very graciously. Being able to see him live a few feet away stand next to him and touch  him was incredible. I'm still in shock. And I sayed hi to 80 and she did back as well she is adorable. Nothing was forced it just happened and I am so grateful  those are the best things in life so you never know what may come your way in future opportunities 😀

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Green Day In Seattle said:

People who have met him, here are some questions for you: What was the aftermath like? Do you feel like the rest of life is kind of pointless now because you met him an probably won't ever get to again? Do you have any regrets for something you said or didn't say? Did it feel like it could never have been a long enough time?

Ngl the aftermath for me was bad, but I think that was just a chemical thing and not emotions to be trusted. It was such an enormous high the crash had to be just as big. I’m ashamed to say I was depressed and beat myself up for a day questioning everything I said and did and wishing it were different. But when you have a few seconds to take a photo and then a few more minutes standing amongst a small crowd there’s no way it’s gonna go any different just be glad you were there. After that I reached an equilibrium and put it back into perspective. It’s now a treasured memory but the emotional roller coaster at first was huge and a difficult transition from that show and experience back to real life. 

9 hours ago, Green Day In Seattle said:

I was excited and happy to have met them and had fun afterwards sharing the pictures and stories with other fans. I don't regret anything I said in the moment, I doubt many fans have said stuff that the band remembered forever. Dealing with starstruck fans who want their attention is just part of their job, so I don't think it's useful to obsess over what you said or didn't say, seeing as they probably won't remember the encounter anyway :lol:

I certainly did not feel like the rest of my life was pointless after I met them. While it was fun to be around them and to have had the experience of traveling around for shows, there are many things that have happened since then that have made me much happier than meeting the band made me :)

On 7/17/2018 at 12:27 AM, Green Day In Seattle said:

The immediate aftermath for me was disbelief and relief. Later followed by stressing over the way I asked for the pic and then ran away after rather than speaking to him. I felt like I just used him but I really just panicked. In retrospect, I’m happy with what I got out of the experience (a picture and a hug) but I think I would trade both to have had a cool conversational moment. But there’s more risk there of making an idiot out of yourself. But that would’ve been more memorable I think. I genuinely forget that I’ve met him sometimes. It’s kinda weird. Maybe that’s the result of being close to him and getting to touch him mutliple times, WITHOUT actually exchanging words, that the few words we did exchange don’t stand out. But yeah there wasn’t really much time and I didn’t have anything short to say as I’d want to get to know him like you said. It sounds like you’re like me so I’d say you’d probably walk away confused but overall glad it happened. Never say never. If you told me  last year that this would’ve happened, I never would’ve believed you.

Only one I’ve properly met (not while on stage) is John just the other day. 

https://m.imgur.com/a/PnHqLIr

• Like 1

LOL I met Billie Joe right before the Longshot show at Thee Parkside, back in April.

I was in back of the line, closest to the front door. On this night, the front door served as the talent/soundcheck entrance. While our audience entrance was in the back of the venue. Anyway I was waiting there and a black van pulled up to the curb. Didn't think much of it. My brother then asked me if I saw who was riding shotgun haha. Sure enough. The man himself climbed out! 😁 I was a little taken aback honestly. Not starstruck though. I'm an extra on tv. So I'm used to seeing/meeting celebrities. At this point in my life, it's not a huge deal. I see them as just human beings like us, but who are extremely talented lol.

Here's what's crazy though! NO one ran up on him. Literally. There were no bumrushing fangirls or anything (Thank god for a 21 and over only show). So he started making his way toward the door, when someone asked him to autograph a picture. He's like "Just one? Ok just one. Because I have to go". He then shook the guy's hand and then he saw me and shook my hand too! 😋😋 He just asked "Hey how are you?".

That's it! No picture because he had to run haha. They started sound check as soon as he went in.  It was an experience that I'll never forget. :) That's for sure.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

@letsdanceon thanks for sharing this with us and I understand (I think) all your emotions but I have to say that I really believe Billie is a really intelligent man, he knows when fans are sincere even if, or maybe especially when, they are falling apart.  I feel certain that he sees the true emotions in a genuine fan’s face and totally understands that bald “thanks” to mean what it does.  He is a genuine music fan himself so I‘m sure he knows, he’ll also have seen so much fawning that he’ll be able to tell the difference.  I nearly sobbed (again) reading this.  💕💕

• Like 3
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, jengd said:

@letsdanceon thanks for sharing this with us and I understand (I think) all your emotions but I have to say that I really believe Billie is a really intelligent man, he knows when fans are sincere even if, or maybe especially when, they are falling apart.  I feel certain that he sees the true emotions in a genuine fan’s face and totally understands that bald “thanks” to mean what it does.  He is a genuine music fan himself so I‘m sure he knows, he’ll also have seen so much fawning that he’ll be able to tell the difference.  I nearly sobbed (again) reading this.  💕💕

Thank you so much for the response ❤️ Once I had time to reflect back, I came to the same conclusion as you: that as a big music fan, and having had the opportunity to meet some of his music idols as well, he hopefully recognized a genuine emotional response when he saw one. At least I’m gonna tell myself that, so I don’t keep feeling so silly 😝 

like it was mentioned above, I just hate feeling like I “took” something from him and gave nothing in return, making it so one-sided. On the surface it seems like I snapped a picture and went on my merry way, when in reality the fact that something so important to me that I had waited so long for had *actually happened*, I panicked and felt like I needed to get myself out of there before I embarrassed myself any more. Ha. For years I had carried around a mixtape with me to every Green Day show, and then I upgraded to a mix cd as times changed 😜 as someone who connects through music, it was the smallest gesture I had to say thank you if I were to ever have an encounter. Of course, the time I traveled by plane to see a show and was traveling as lightly as possible, I actually get to meet him and had nothing to “give” in return. 

I am forever grateful I got to say thank you at least. And I treasure those photos so much, even if I look like hell (as established on the show thread, the DC crowd was wild 😛)

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Does anyone have any interesting stories besides waiting outside the venue or hotel or meeting at shows? Something a little extra besides a photo or autograph?

• 3 weeks later...

yes, in my dreams. * sarcastic laugh hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah because I know I am a loser and it won't ever happen to me*

8 hours ago, ilaria idiot said:

yes, in my dreams. * sarcastic laugh hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah because I know I am a loser and it won't ever happen to me*

I know that feel, bro.
feels-feel.gif

• Like 4

• 10 months later...