SOTW - "At the Library"

Boston

In honor of the (second) best song of the week contest beginning with voting for the best song from 1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours, this week's song is my favorite song from this album "At the Library."

Released on July 1, 1991, 39/Smooth is Green Day's first full album with indie label Lookout Records. It combines the EP's 39/Smooth, Slappy, and 1,000 Hours. The album was re-realsed by Reprise in 2004 following the success of American Idiot and has sold 632,000 copies in the US since its release.

"At the Library" is a simple song about lustful/wishful thinking. Billie saw a girl making eye contact with him and contemplated going up and introducing himself. Ultimately he second-guessed himself for too long, found out that the girl had a boyfriend, and was forced to move on under the hope that "maybe [they'll] meet again someday."

This is a live video from 1990 of the band performing at Pinhole Valley High School, complete with John Kiffmeyer on drums:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5qGVI1-sMs

Lyrics:

Hey there lookin' at me

Tell me what do you see

But you quickly turn your head away

Try to find the words I could use

Don't have the courage to come up to you.

My chance is looking a bit grey

Staring across the room

Are you leaving soon?

I just need a little time

What is it that drives me mad

Girls like you that I never had

What is it about you that I adore?

What makes me feel so much pain

That makes me go so insane

What is it about you that I adore?

Staring across the room

Are you leaving soon?

I just need a little time

One time!

Why did you have to leave so soon?

Why did you have to walk away?

Oh well it happened again

She walked away with her boyfriend

Maybe we'll meet again someday

Someday

Choose next week's song and see previous choices here.

Oh you don't even know how many times this song resounded in my head while this thing happened to me with some random girl on the bus on my way to school.

This misheard lyrics video is hilarious ^^

Ahahahah fucking hell :lol: I can't stop laughing :D

Definitely an amazing song. Without a doubt. I can't really think of much more to say. :)

I just hope I'll be albe to see it live someday... (See what I did there? :ninja:)

Definitely an amazing song. Without a doubt. I can't really think of much more to say. :)

I just hope I'll be albe to see it live someday... (See what I did there? :ninja:)

photo-47929.jpg

(all credits for this pic to ScreamHallelujah :ninja:)

I think about everyone has experienced this. Where they see a cute guy/girl somewhere and want to talk to him/her but dont have the guts to do it. Classic song that a lot of people can relate to. :)

Ahhh, someone beat Hermione to that video for once. :lol:

I'm desperately due for another listen of 39/Smooth. This song is perfectly relatable, almost sugary in a way. And the "waaaaaaaaaaaaaah" is one of my favorite moments from the entire disc. The whole track embodies the energetic spirit that the boys continually represent. :happy:

Pretty ironic as 1039 SOSH is in the voting thread at the moment, but still a good song, I really love this whole album though

Aw, this song♥. I love the start "Hey they looking at me, tell me what do you see...", sounds so innocent! :shy: and the whole lyrics is very sweet from Billie's point of view. The story ended bad, but I think it lefted a great song!

Lovely song :)

In my opinion it's a love song with an unhappy ending, which is what makes me love the song even more!

At The Library is one of 3 songs I'm considering voting for in the pole and I think this thread might steer me in it's direction. In my opinion it's the most badass song on the album. The lyrics are sweet but the music is totally badass! The opening guitar and "UH!" is such a great kick start to the song (and album). Love the "One time, WOOOW!" in the middle and "Some daaaaaay-uh!" at the end too :D, the way Billie sings this song is punchy and full of attitude just like the music. Love everything about it.

Ahhh, someone beat Hermione to that video for once. :lol:

My thoughts exactly :lol:. Greatest video of all time!

I don't think I'll ever forgot that moment of realisation on 2th October 2009 in Birmingham...holy shit. It's At The Library. lghaglagalglga *faint* good music, good times :happy:

One of my fav songs of 1039/SOSH, the lyrics are so sweet and eventhough it has an unhappy ending it's not an unhappy song,y'know? ;)

This song explains how I met my girlfriend :) We were in the same English class, and we went to the library to do some study, we sat at the same table and she kept looking at me

and I was too afraid to ask cause I'd always had a little crush on her, so eventually we became friends and talked a lot, as soon as I shit out the courage to try and me more than friends she brought up the fact that she was introducing her boyfriend to her grandparents. But a week later they broke up, two weeks after that, I asked her out, and here we are now :)

But I love this song, and the whole album is my second favourite Green Day album cause I can relate to it so well.. Well could :)

Archived