Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
We're having a photography contest where you guys send in a photo that describes what that time of year means to you. Only one week left to enter.

Photo

Climate Change

Debate

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Dylan.

Dylan.
  • And Don't You Fucking Wear It Out

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts
  • Joined Sep 08, 2007
  • 574 rep
Recently, I was given the assignment to write a research paper on global warming. Admittedly, I hadn't known as much as I would have liked to on the subject. It was one of the few political issues that I knew where I stood before actually learning the facts for myself. After recent research, my perspective on global warming has become slightly skewed. Not on the facts of global warming, but rather on the course of action we take to ensure our planet's safety.

Generally there are many different view points on the issue. The two most common approaches to climate change are the deniers and the activists.

Global Warming Denier:
  • Does not believe Global Warming is happening.
  • Believes scientists lied about the data in the IPCC report
  • Some of these people believe that the warming we are experiencing is just the natural shifting of the Earth's climate.
  • Does not want to give any funding for alternative fuel technology
  • Believes implementing carbon emission or alternative fuel regulations will stifle business and cause a global economic disaster
  • Usually opposes Cap and Trade

Global Warming Activist
  • Believes that Global Warming is absolutely taking place.
  • Believes that the data indicates that over the next century, the planet's average temperature will rise anywhere from 2 to 6.5 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Believe that we are experiencing climate change as a result of the added moisture in the air. We will go through a period of cooling and extreme heating, resulting in a net temperature increase.
  • Most activists want to heavily fund alternative fuel technology.
  • Most want to implement heavy carbon emission and greenhouse gas regulations that will not allow businesses to pollute our air.
  • Usually either approve of Cap and Trade, or believe it is simply allowing businesses to profit from buying and selling Carbon Emission caps.
Of course, many of us will fall somewhere roughly between those two poles. Here is some data that I have found while researching that will allow us to debate intelligently. If any of you have anymore articles or writing that adds to the discussion, I will try to add it to the opening post.

Have fun, kids!

http://www.theglobal...ngoverview.com/

http://www.edf.org/c...tific-consensus

http://www.edf.org/c...arth-is-warming

http://www.edf.org/c...-causes-warming

http://www.theglobal...ming-statistics

http://www.ncdc.noaa...ming.html#intro

http://www.edf.org/c...-global-warming
  • Jozinbrejl likes this

Brigister

Brigister
  • I'm a mess and you're a work of art

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,541 posts
  • Joined Aug 30, 2011
  • 1,192 rep
When I read the title I thought about those awkward conversation about weather that people start when they have nothing else to say. :lol:

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,650 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,922 rep

POPULAR

All I know is every time I hear "How can there be global warming when this is the coldest winter we've had in 50 years?" I want to punch a baby.
  • The Snark, CristhyneS, captainperoxide and 6 others like this

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• 14,646 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 3,155 rep
Well it exists, and it's a problem. Average temperatures would still rise anyway considering we're still coming out of an ice age, but that's been significantly accelerated by human activity.

Sooo. Recycle. Use public transport. Do all that stuff, so we don't drown and die.
  • No Rhyme Or Reason and MrsBillieJoe95 like this

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,650 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,922 rep
I'd really, really, really like to type out a long essay about how peak oil is going to fuck us before global warming even has the chance to anyway (and the two combined will exponentially fuck us) but shit, I'm tired right now.
  • Tre's Busted Drumkit likes this

HeißblütigerPinguin

HeißblütigerPinguin
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2010
  • 166 rep
Posted Image
  • Hermione and Brigister like this

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit
  • "ben's actually a giant teddy bear" -Lone

• 8,809 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,659 rep
Without going into too much detail right now because I'm staring at a list of projects for work that will keep me occupied into early next week, global warming is definitely happening, and humans definitely contribute to it. That said, it's happening more because the earth naturally has warm/cool cycles. John Coleman wrote a great paper on it, and while I'm not going to say I agree with all of his conclusions, I definitely agree that mother nature has more to do with it than us mother fuckers.
  • CristhyneS likes this

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him
  • darling i'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream

• 13,982 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,752 rep
A few of my classes have gone through this, and I'm considering taking Climate Change Biology next year.

I think most of the stuff I've learned has been taught in an 'activist' sort of way so it might have implanted some sort of bias in my mind, although we did briefly discuss skepticism regarding a few points.

That said, I do believe that climate change is happening and will be a problem, but it is also a natural occurrence and there is evidence that it has happened in the past before humans were around. However, I do not disagree that climate change has been enhanced by anthropogenic emissions among other human-related activities (deforestation and loss of carbon sinks, for example).

I think we're only so concerned about it now because of the degree to which it can impact humans and their lives. A point was brought up by a guest lecturer in my Global Environmental Change class last semester and my Geology of Natural Disasters class this semester that natural disasters are only considered disasters because of the loss of human life they cause, and we don't really care as much about landslides and earthquakes that leave the human population unaffected (despite the impact they might have on the rest of the biosphere). So I kind of think that climate change is viewed in the same kind of way. Most people aren't concerned about the effect of climate change on fish for the sake of the wellbeing of fish, they care about it because it has potential to leave us with less fish to eat. If climate change didn't have the potential to impact HUMAN lives, it wouldn't be such a hot discussion.
  • No Rhyme Or Reason likes this

mechanicalman

mechanicalman
  • 11,274 posts
  • Joined Oct 07, 2006
  • 1,543 rep
It's a myth created by Al Gore, don't be sucked in.
  • CristhyneS, fukingcounterstrike and Emilie. like this

captainperoxide

captainperoxide
  • Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken.

• 15,853 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,559 rep
I do believe climate change is happening. And I certainly don't think we're making it any better. But I don't know if I can say one way or another that we're causing it, or having as much of an effect as many people seem to think we have. I don't have enough information, and there's way too much dispute out there for me to be able to make a decision. I don't think being green is a bad thing at all. It's kinda like cleaning the dishes as you go, rather than let them pile up in the sink. It's some extra effort, but it'll pay off in future, and if you don't do it, the problem will be much bigger sometime down the road.

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit

• 8,809 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,659 rep

It's kinda like cleaning the dishes as you go, rather than let them pile up in the sink. It's some extra effort, but it'll pay off in future, and if you don't do it, the problem will be much bigger sometime down the road.

I know Wisconsin's kinda backwards and all, but don't you guys at least have dishwashers there?

Dylan.

Dylan.

• 3,846 posts
  • Joined Sep 08, 2007
  • 574 rep

Without going into too much detail right now because I'm staring at a list of projects for work that will keep me occupied into early next week, global warming is definitely happening, and humans definitely contribute to it. That said, it's happening more because the earth naturally has warm/cool cycles. John Coleman wrote a great paper on it, and while I'm not going to say I agree with all of his conclusions, I definitely agree that mother nature has more to do with it than us mother fuckers.

So, what action is to be taken? Because regardless of who caused it, it is happening. How do we properly lower our carbon emissions?

Or, is it unavoidable? What is the cost of doing nothing?

captainperoxide

captainperoxide
  • Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken.

• 15,853 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,559 rep

I know Wisconsin's kinda backwards and all, but don't you guys at least have dishwashers there?

Gimme a break, man, I just got back from Argentina, where we wash dishes the old-fashioned way Posted Image

Marlee

Marlee
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,141 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 546 rep
You know it's bad that I have the reputation as the "global warming activist" at my school. I could post a few essays that I've written but it would basically be a repetition of the original post, as well as what other people have said. I also should be studying for an AP Gov test . My intentions are to become an environmental lawyer, so I have done much research on this subject.

LONG story short, I 100% believe that global warming is an issue that more people need to become aware of, and more people need to take the proper steps to helping and possibly reversing this issue. The average carbon emission per capita in the United States is shocking (I believe the last time i checked it was nearly 17 tons annually). It isn't a conspiracy that was made up, the climate is going through a severe unnatural change which is man made.

When I have time to finish, I'll come back
  • No Rhyme Or Reason likes this

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit

• 8,809 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,659 rep

So, what action is to be taken? Because regardless of who caused it, it is happening. How do we properly lower our carbon emissions?

Or, is it unavoidable? What is the cost of doing nothing?

Lowering our dependence on fossil fuels will definitely help, but to a large extent, yeah, it is unavoidable. Humans are responsible for a lot of bad shit that's happening to our environment, but global warming is pretty low on that list.

Gimme a break, man, I just got back from Argentina, where we wash dishes the old-fashioned way http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/...

"We"? Dude, you're about as Argentinian as Rick Santorum. :P

Advertising

alaniluau

alaniluau
  • Like Every Other American

• 4,615 posts
  • Joined Jun 26, 2009
  • 1,183 rep
Just yesterday, my favorite professor was speaking on this issue. One of his points that resonated with me is the idea that there's no such thing as belief in science. Belief is used by humans to answer questions that can't be worked out through tangible methods. On the other hand, science offers the answer that makes the most sense based on observation and repetition--it's not an issue of "believing" whatsoever. And as rudimentary as that concept is, it doesn't seem to be getting through to many humans' thick, ugly skulls.

From a geologic standpoint, climate change is a strongly supported theory. As far as we can tell, the planet goes through severe climate cycles regularly. The earth will stick around long after humans are gone, but, as Jordan mentioned, we're only taking notice because our way of living is being pushed to the brink.
  • She-Loves-Him and No Rhyme Or Reason like this

Vespertine

Vespertine
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,092 posts
  • Joined Nov 16, 2009
  • 455 rep

On the other hand, science offers the answer that makes the most sense based on observation and repetition--it's not an issue of "believing" whatsoever. .

David Hume would highly disagree with that :lol:

But I agree with you, yeah

insomniaticnimrod

insomniaticnimrod
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Joined Oct 27, 2006
  • 517 rep
i have concerns about global warming. Ive noticed that here in Indiana winters have been showing up later and later. I mean back in december there was a day that felt like it was the beginning of october, hoodie weather and everything. It was kinda scary to see that it could be that warm in december. and of course we had a green christmas here, but soon the snow showed up, some time in the early days of this month. and right now it is very white and slippery and dangerous roads outside. i am worried that the earth is getting too hot..
i dont know exactly will happen because of this, i do know polar bears are losing their homes and will continue to lose them because of global warming, at least that whats i have seen on those ad misericordiam commericals.....

i try to do my part, i recycle when i can and try not to spend too much time driving...but there is only so much i can do

Izzard

Izzard
  • Simon Says...

• 4,502 posts
  • Joined Feb 24, 2009
  • 2,019 rep
Well I can definitely tell there has been a change in the climate this winter. The weather is just different...I live in Ontario and am used to getting A LOT of snow and a lot of cold, but this year we've mostly just gotten rain and mild weather. I'm not complaining.

Smoothed Out

Smoothed Out
  • idjit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts
  • Joined Sep 30, 2009
  • 292 rep
Even though we are in a inter-glacial period of a naturally warmer climate, I truly believe that human activity since the 1840s and 50s has contributed greatly to the occurance of global warming and therefore an unprecedented change in the climate. There's no argument that there are more natural climate change drivers like the Milankovitch theory of cycles such as orbital eccentricity and axial shift, but I find it almost impossible not to place at least some of the blame onto humans. Surely if this was a natural occurence due to such cycles, then an increase in the global temperatures would have been recorded before or at least evidence to be found of such increases in dendrochronology or ice cores. The accelerated effects of climate change that are being felt more in places such as Africa and the Arctic are undeniable. Dealing with it is another issue completely as the human race pretty much has two options, adapt or mitigate. Due to the way of the world and developmental gaps, adapting is pretty much the only option for certain countries, the Kyoto Protocol had a lot of major issues to deal with when it was implamented as rapidly industrialising countries such as China and India was given the option of carbon credits so they could industrialise as countries such as America and the UK had without limitations on their carbon usage. This is all very well good on keeping politics happy, but as the Durban conference displayed this is just not an option anymore. Personally, I think we are very nearly reaching tipping point and regardless of what we do temperatures will continue to rise years into the future. But I do believe that by mitigating the best we can now, there is a way of capping the rate of increase. There'll be nothing more contentious than proposing limits on countries that are struggling enough in the economic situation they are currently experiencing, but something's got to give at some point.

­­rootbeersoup

­­rootbeersoup
  • ­

• 14,437 posts
  • Joined Oct 02, 2006
  • 2,871 rep
I wrote a research paper once that disproved global warming. That's all you need to know.

Sorry for ruining this thread.
  • CristhyneS and fukingcounterstrike like this

mmmcrazypills

mmmcrazypills
  • Watch out for Mastadons

• 13,033 posts
  • Joined Mar 15, 2006
  • 542 rep

I wrote a research paper once that disproved global warming. That's all you need to know.

Sounds legit.
  • ­­rootbeersoup likes this

fukingcounterstrike

fukingcounterstrike
  • banana bottom

• 10,694 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2007
  • 4,596 rep
big deal?

SLAPPYplatypus

SLAPPYplatypus
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Joined Dec 16, 2011
  • 8 rep
i do not really know what to say that could actually convince people of how bad the situation is, when it comes to climate and environment.
the planet earth has been natural, i cannot think of any better word, for like a zillion years before the human beings actually found out that they could use petrol, and coke before that, which kind of produce every substance that causes damage both to humans, animals and to the earth too.
we definitely do have to make it stop, to use sunlight and the force of the wind and of the water instead of that kind of things.
yeah i understand this only looks like a weird hippie speech, but i cannot really put that one into words. i have always been apolitical and i dont really like getting into that kind of stuff, mostly cause i'm italian and you probably know about italian politics already- but environment has always been particularly important for me.

i like the fact that you've made a topic about that. like that so much :D

D-viant

D-viant
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Joined Oct 29, 2011
  • 15 rep
Climate is changing. Actually, it's always been changing. For example, in the ancient times during the Rome empire, the Northern Africa was the most fertile land known to the indoeuropean civilization, now it's a big desert with just a glimpse of what it was before.
We also had a "Little Ice age", a phenomena that occured in the 17th century on the Northern Hemisphere when the Baltic sea froze and most of the Europe suffered from really low temperatures.
Now, weird as it may sound, it's the way This planet "moves" and in the same time makes progress. These actions take hundreds of years.
Global warming is a series of actions that speed up the "movement" of the planet and give a lot less time for changes that occur. We may not live up to see the results, but next generations will probably suffer from the mistakes our race did to This planet.

Splasher

Splasher
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined Dec 14, 2011
  • 34 rep
This is from another forum about Global Warming in specific. I posted this a few weeks ago:

you don't need a book. look around yourself.

it's winter and we have 5 degrees celsius average here while about 8 years ago we were almost drowning in snow every winter. also, look at the number of natural disasters today.

It's almost mid-summer here and it's raining and cold where as about 8 years ago we were almost dying from heat stroke every Summer.

OH NO! GLOBAL COLDING!

Seriously, the same people who are doing the climate change scare campaign are the exact same people who a few years ago said it would never rain again due to global warming, which lead to us building a desalination plant that we're never gonna use. But since we put so much money into it, we're still finishing it.

Everybody believed them back then because they had "proven research" which was obviously a load of shit. I do believe we're polluting our world, I do believe we need to go green, I do believe that climate changes, but man-made climate change? The climate has changed since the beginning of Earth *cough*Ice Age*cough*, so now that it's heating up in certain areas it's humans' fault?

One word: Bullshit.

If people wanna try and stop the Earth's climate from naturally changing like it always ha, go ahead, be my guest. But don't try and act like it's our (humans') fault when stuff like this has been happening since before we have been polluting.

I'm from Australia by the way.

Edited by Splasher, 31 January 2012 - 02:16 AM.

• CristhyneS likes this

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• 14,646 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 3,155 rep
So here in JOLLY OLD ENGLAND we've been experiencing a "cold snap" as they're called. It sort of started warming up for a bit earlier in the month, then the temperatures plummeted into the NEGATIVE CENTIGRADE OF DOOM.
Talking with some people on GDC and elsewhere, it seems that some places are experiencing hotter temperatures, of which, by the way, I am very jealous.

So just out of interest: what's it like where you are? Is anyone actually experiencing normal weather for the time of year? GLOBAL WARMING 2012 END OF WORLD ETC

Dylan.

Dylan.

• 3,846 posts
  • Joined Sep 08, 2007
  • 574 rep

So here in JOLLY OLD ENGLAND we've been experiencing a "cold snap" as they're called. It sort of started warming up for a bit earlier in the month, then the temperatures plummeted into the NEGATIVE CENTIGRADE OF DOOM.
Talking with some people on GDC and elsewhere, it seems that some places are experiencing hotter temperatures, of which, by the way, I am very jealous.

So just out of interest: what's it like where you are? Is anyone actually experiencing normal weather for the time of year? GLOBAL WARMING 2012 END OF WORLD ETC

It all depends on what you mean by normal. :lol: Here in Arizona, we are having a rather mild February. *sighs*

Karen.

Karen.
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • Joined Apr 25, 2010
  • 375 rep
Just so you know, this is not a "political issue" in any other country.
  • Hermione likes this

MrsBillieJoe95

MrsBillieJoe95
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2010
  • 302 rep
I get to do an opinion paper on global climate change :P I think it's being sped up by humans but it's natural considering we're coming out of an ice age and returning back to "normal" temperatures. I think we can help return it back to its normal rate, but it's going to take some time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Debate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users