Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Voting has started in the Karaoke Contest. Listen to the entries and vote for your favorite.

Photo

Cigarettes and Valentines

Debate

• Please log in to reply
440 replies to this topic

Bastard of 1969

Bastard of 1969
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2012
  • 1,066 rep
  • Location:Somewhere over the country with financial problems and not so smart politicians

Stay the night is not a C&V song

Mike said in 2010 while discussing C&V that there was a song called Walk Away but we have zero proof that the Walk Away on ¡Tre! is the same as the one that was meant for C&V

Well, the name is proof. :lol:

Todd

Todd
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,334 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 6,164 rep

I just found this. Apparently they had 42 songs and Billie was stoked on 8. I've always heard it was about 20 songs, but 42? Damn.
http://web.archive.o...4_greenday.html

The article is about American Idiot, not C&V. When that article was posted, American Idiot was already being written and recorded, they started American Idiot in April 2003 and that article is June 2003. So unfortunately, this has nothing to do with C&V. Something about C&V would be late 2002-early 2003

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 27,699 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 10,379 rep

It is kind of a generic name though (there's a Christina Aguilera song called Walk Away and probably loads of others as well). Could easily be a different song, especially knowing how much Billie likes to mention walking in his lyrics!

WeAllFloatDownHere

WeAllFloatDownHere
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,847 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,778 rep

Not really it's not that unusual for bands to reuse names

Bastard of 1969

Bastard of 1969
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2012
  • 1,066 rep
  • Location:Somewhere over the country with financial problems and not so smart politicians

It is kind of a generic name though (there's a Christina Aguilera song called Walk Away and probably loads of others as well). Could easily be a different song, especially knowing how much Billie likes to mention walking in his lyrics!

Walking Alone, Walk Away, Walking Contradiction.

I walk alone in Boulevard Of Broken Dreams.

Ok...

Deadpool

Deadpool
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined Apr 30, 2013
  • 60 rep

3 questions

tracklisting? how many songs have we got? likelihood of full release?

Morrissey.

Morrissey.
  • Herr Dumpidump

• 17,057 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 18,096 rep

3 questions

tracklisting? how many songs have we got? likelihood of full release?

Depends who you listen to. There are some who believe it's Money Money 2020. We've definitely got the title track but that's all I'm aware of. And we're never getting a full release, surely.

Jon Benjamin

Jon Benjamin
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts
  • Joined Dec 21, 2006
  • 605 rep
Too Much Too Soon was confirmed.

PleasedToMeetMe

PleasedToMeetMe
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Joined Aug 28, 2009
  • 231 rep

I bet Roshambo had something to do with C&V. It has a very Green Day sound and if you imagine listening to it stripped of all the effects and shit it would totally fit.

Todd

Todd
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• 13,334 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 6,164 rep

I bet Roshambo had something to do with C&V. It has a very Green Day sound and if you imagine listening to it stripped of all the effects and shit it would totally fit.

It doesn't really match the description of C&V though

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 27,699 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 10,379 rep

It doesn't really match the description of C&V though

Yeah sounds more like what it is, a song they made after they'd decided they weren't pushing themselves hard enough with C&V and had moved on to experiment with lots of new and different sounds in an attempt to make a more challenging album which would end up being American Idiot. Always kind of reminds me of Letterbomb.

InsomniacDookie

InsomniacDookie
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Joined Nov 20, 2014
  • 71 rep

Love C&V even though it was misplaced/stolen whatever happened.

Insomniac186

Insomniac186
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Joined Nov 20, 2006
  • 15 rep

I still believe the American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown B-sides were meant for Cigarrettes & Valentines. The AI B-sides were not recorded during the AI sessions. Let's look at the credits for those songs though...

The Network Money Money 2020 - Produced by (None listed, the band most likely), Engineered Chris Dugan, Reto Peter (either or both dending on the track).

American Idiot Album - Produced by Rob Cavallo & Green Day, Engineered by Doug McKean

Favorite Son - Produced by Rob Cavallo, Engineered by Doug McKean (Credits found inside Japanese pressing of AI)

Too Much Too Soon - Produced by Green Day, Engineered by Reto Peter, Mixed by Tim James for Rock Mafia

Shoplifter - Produced by Green Day, Engineered by Chris Dugan & Reto Peter, Mixed by Tim James for Rock Mafia

Govenator - Produced by Green Day, Engineered by Chris Dugan & Reto Peter

Lights Out - Produced by Green Day, Engineered by Chris Dugan

Hearts Collide - Produced by Green Day, Engineered by Chris Dugan

The only track that could possibly be from the actual C&V sessions would be Favorite Son, because it's the only track produced by Rob Cavallo. It can't be from the AI sessions because the AI tracks were all recorded at the same time and in sequemce (many interviews from that time state that and the AI tour program shows the songs written on the studio board). By reading these credits you can see that most were recorded at the same time as The Network album.

What makes it interesting is that Too Much Too Soon and Shoplifter were mixed by someone from Rock Mafia, which a big Hollywood rmusic production team. This may indicate that either the label or the band were seeking outside help to make the songs more catchier to ensure that C&V would have hit songs. My official opinion is that the AI & 21CB B-sides are demos/pre-production tracks of songs what were being worked on for C&V and were then given a professional mix before being released as B-sides.

• TheUndeaf likes this

Maid Meringue

Maid Meringue
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Joined Nov 05, 2014
  • 62 rep

I don't think that C&V was ever an album that was scrapped or stolen. I believe that the song Cigarettes and Valentines had existed prior to American Idiot, along with other materials that they either tossed out or reused, but unless I'm missing some vital information, I don't think they had a proper album pre-recorded and mixed. 

WeAllFloatDownHere

WeAllFloatDownHere
  • Dearly Beloved

• 6,847 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,778 rep
I still think Hearts Collide and Lights Out are 21st sessions the production is way to Vig-ish to NOT be Vig
  • Todd likes this

Advertising

Insomniac186

Insomniac186
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Joined Nov 20, 2006
  • 15 rep

I still think Hearts Collide and Lights Out are 21st sessions the production is way to Vig-ish to NOT be Vig

Butch Vig isn't credited anywhere for those songs though. The criedits for them are on the Know Your Enemy single. Notice the guitar and drum tones are different from the rest of the album also. Vig may have picked them for the B-sides though if he liked them. You never know.

WeAllFloatDownHere

WeAllFloatDownHere
  • Dearly Beloved

• 6,847 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,778 rep

Butch Vig isn't credited anywhere for those songs though. The criedits for them are on the Know Your Enemy single. Notice the guitar and drum tones are different from the rest of the album also. Vig may have picked them for the B-sides though if he liked them. You never know.

They could be from an early Vig session Vig's engineer at Vig's home studio said GD spent a week at the studio but said none of the songs were used for the album

like I said the production style is too close to Vig's

Listen to Maria or Poprocks or Warning Green Day doesn't produce in Vig's style

But not saying they are Vig I just don't buy GD being able to produce exactly like Vig at all i would buy a story of Billie killing Elvis before I buy GD producing just like Vig

InsomniacDookie

InsomniacDookie
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Joined Nov 20, 2014
  • 71 rep

I'm sorry, who was Butch Vig? was he their audio engineer? :P

Insomniac186

Insomniac186
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Joined Nov 20, 2006
  • 15 rep

He was the "producer" of 21st Century Breakdown.

WeAllFloatDownHere

WeAllFloatDownHere
  • Dearly Beloved

• 6,847 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,778 rep

Producer for 21st Century also produced Nirvana's Nevermind the last two Foo Fighters albums the producer/drummer for Garbage
  • TheUndeaf likes this

InsomniacDookie

InsomniacDookie
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Joined Nov 20, 2014
  • 71 rep

Well he created amazing albums.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Debate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users