Cigarettes and Valentines

MrsBillieJoe95

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems like not a lot of bands do "secret" or bonus tracks anymore. I always wait for it after the last song, but no. Nobody does it anymore. :(

1. bonus/hidden tracks are highly dependent on the prevalence of CD's and vinyls. With an mp3, you can see exactly how long the song is, and make a good guess that there will be a hidden track, making it not so special

2. On mp3 stores like iTunes, an artist can make an extra $0.99 by putting that/those tracks on the deluxe version, or just splitting up the songs. On my CD for Dookie, All By Myself is technically a part of F.O.D, but on iTunes, they are listed separately.

Those examples are completely different. Misery is an intentionally weird and contrasting song, like Dominated Love Slave or King For A Day. Good Riddance fits in to Nimrod perfectly - just because it's an acoustic song, that doesn't mean that it doesn't belong in an album which features electric guitars. Letterbomb is foundationally completely musically different from anything they had written before AI. The jump from Warning to AI was so gigantic that I can't really imagine any songs on AI being reused from Warning or earlier. Songs like Letterbomb, Holiday, BOBD etc. carry an epic, electric-driven sound with sinister undertones - which is completely absent from anything they've done before. American Idiot wasn't just 'different'. It was on another planet.

yeah i see what you mean, letterbomb although its a regular power chord song it does have a different tone than the rest of the songs in Warning, however it still is kind of weird that Good Riddance was included in Nimrod, knowing what Green Day represented at the time and the style of their songs back then. Its very easy now to judge certain aspects of their music back then but probably in 1997 you wouldnt have expected, at all, a song like Good Riddance. Oh and I agree American Idiot was on other planet.

Eminem did it and it was the only good song on the album.

What song are you referring too, and on what album?

The best secret song is Endless Nameless

13 mins after a soft acoustic song BAM bass drums and guitars explosion to a 6 minute distortion fest with an audible breaking guitar noise at the end

If they go ahead with the release with C&V sometime in the future then it would have to be almost redone. They just say hey we are going to re-record these and release them. I am sure since they didn't like it they would change up some stuff. I wouldn't mind Billie and Jason's new delicous guitar tone. I like what they did with Walk Away and I think if they did that for C&V then it would be a killer album. Of course without the overproduction, just the raw sound of Green Days new sound would be ok.

The album wouldn't sell as good as American idiot or 21st just because it is such old material. It would make way more sense if they release it like Shenanigans as a "extra" LP.

Hey guys so i'm gonna be putting up a version of Green Day's Cigarettes and Valentines. Part Live Cuts, Part Studio, Part Reworking of the Demos. And here is the artwork i made for it. I've used for the front cover, a previously made cover but i have modified it; and for the back i used a picture from the Green Day Rhapsody Ad with the Reference to C&V.

cvfront.jpg

cvback.jpg

That's really cool!

Here's my listing, including some Network and Foxboro songs:

1. Cigarettes and Valentines (duh)
  2. Walk Away
  3. She's a Saint, Not a Celebrity
  4. Shoplifter
  5. Lights Out
  6. Spike
  7. Governator
  8. Drop Out (Brutal Love)
  9. Too Much Too Soon
  10. Favorite Son
  11. Roshambo
  12. What About Today?
  13. Sally
  14. Clusterbomb (Letterbomb)
  15. Wake Me Up When September Ends
  16. Olivia

Preorder Tracks:

17. Dream Catcher
  18. Ha Ha You're Dead
  19. 27th Ave Shuffle
  20. When it's Time
  21. Minnesota Girl

That's really cool!

• Cigarettes and Valentines (duh)
  • Walk Away
  • She's a Saint, Not a Celebrity
  • Shoplifter
  • Lights Out
  • Spike
  • Governator
  • Drop Out (Brutal Love)
  • Too Much Too Soon
  • Favorite Son
  • Roshambo
  • What About Today?
  • Sally
  • Clusterbomb (Letterbomb)
  • Wake Me Up When September Ends
  • Olivia

Preorder Tracks:

• Dream Catcher
  • Ha Ha You're Dead
  • 27th Ave Shuffle
  • When it's Time
  • Minnesota Girl

Where and when and how did Drop Out become Brutal Love???

Maybe the lyrics "drop out, drop dead hideous"

Maybe the lyrics "drop out, drop dead hideous"

Lol i hope that's not the case that means nothing at all

It didn't. It's just a theory. :)

When I suggested that Brutal Love may have once been Drop Out, or maybe just that end section. People obviously take my speculation and observations way too seriously though. :lol:

When I suggested that Brutal Love may have once been Drop Out, or maybe just that end section. People obviously take my speculation and observations way too seriously though. :lol:

How did I not know tman was behind this lol joking

Personally I still think Hearts Collide was a C&V's track. Even though it was a b-side to 21st CB, it still doesn't fit the time period it was released in. It sounds like it was recorded ages ago and slapped onto to the KYE single.

Personally I still think Hearts Collide was a C&V's track. Even though it was a b-side to 21st CB, it still doesn't fit the time period it was released in. It sounds like it was recorded ages ago and slapped onto to the KYE single.

I'd agree with you, but some people seem to get pissed off that that we have an opinion and we're apparently spreading "lies" to unsuspecting innocent minds. :P

“We can’t confirm if they were stolen, destroyed or misplaced,” says Dirnt. “All I know is that we had more than the better part of an entire record done and so we thought, ‘OK, we’ll send a copy to our friend at the label, take a break and get back to work and do our thing in a few weeks after we hear from him.’ We come back to our studio space, which there are constantly people moving in and out of, and the hard drives were gone. We were like, ‘What the fuck are we going to do?’ At that point it probably would have been easy enough to go back and re-record, but we just weren’t in that mindset. I think we felt sort of like, ‘Was that the best we could really do?’” http://www.fender.com/news/mike-dirnt-making-his-mark/

Also, from Wikipedia: "Dirnt admitted that backups of the tapes were made but claims that 'it just wasn't the same as the originals.' Cigarettes and Valentines was never even roughly mixed, according to various interviews with the band, hence no "legitimate" versions of songs, track lists, artwork, etc. exist." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigarettes_and_Valentines

That's really cool!

1. Cigarettes and Valentines (duh)
  2. Walk Away
  3. She's a Saint, Not a Celebrity
  4. Shoplifter
  5. Lights Out
  6. Spike
  7. Governator
  8. Drop Out (Brutal Love)
  9. Too Much Too Soon
  10. Favorite Son
  11. Roshambo
  12. What About Today?
  13. Sally
  14. Clusterbomb (Letterbomb)
  15. Wake Me Up When September Ends
  16. Olivia

Preorder Tracks:

17. Dream Catcher
  18. Ha Ha You're Dead
  19. 27th Ave Shuffle
  20. When it's Time
  21. Minnesota Girl

Why you put and" What About Today/World vs Wolrd" that song was from 198fucking8

Why you put and" What About Today/World vs Wolrd" that song was from 198fucking8

It's already been said that the two were different songs.

Honestly if these songs really were on C&V's then I don't know what the hell the band was thinking lol :lol: These are amazing and they would have made a great album. Not to say American Idiot wasn't great because its still the best album ever. But Hearts Collide will always have a special place with me. :)

We cant confirm if they were stolen, destroyed or misplaced, says Dirnt. All I know is that we had more than the better part of an entire record done and so we thought, OK, well send a copy to our friend at the label, take a break and get back to work and do our thing in a few weeks after we hear from him. We come back to our studio space, which there are constantly people moving in and out of, and the hard drives were gone. We were like, What the fuck are we going to do? At that point it probably would have been easy enough to go back and re-record, but we just werent in that mindset. I think we felt sort of like, Was that the best we could really do? http://www.fender.com/news/mike-dirnt-making-his-mark/

Also, from Wikipedia: "Dirnt admitted that backups of the tapes were made but claims that 'it just wasn't the same as the originals.' Cigarettes and Valentines was never even roughly mixed, according to various interviews with the band, hence no "legitimate" versions of songs, track lists, artwork, etc. exist." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigarettes_and_Valentines

Thats whats confusing in one he said hard drive but in another he says they made back up tapes but if they did do em on hard drive there'd be no need to make back up tapes when they could simply put em on cd rs or another hard drive

I know everyone else already told you- but I'm gonna give you shit about this too

World vs. World (1989, not 88)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x96M5ijeKyk

What About Today (2002)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y_qM9RWFOc

HUGE difference man. One is about love, the other says "fucking cunt" and "fucking" and "fuckers" and "fuck" and "you fucking suck" a lot.

I know everyone else already told you- but I'm gonna give you shit about this too

World vs. World (1989, not 88)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x96M5ijeKyk

What About Today (2002)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y_qM9RWFOc

HUGE difference man. One is about love, the other says "fucking cunt" and "fucking" and "fuckers" and "fuck" and "you fucking suck" a lot.

Cool!! tnx

But what's the chance of a release now? I take the separate release of songs like Cigarettes and Valentines and Walk Away, and arguably all of the other speculative songs, as an indicator that this record can never be released in its entirely.

Archived