Cigarettes and Valentines

MrsBillieJoe95

Just because it's a secret that's why that song is perfect

iTunes had to ruin it

And it rips off Shoplifter's vocal melody ("It's not considered stealing..." - "Amy don't you go...")

I never said they don't fit, I was just pointing out songs that don't sound like their track list kin.

I fucking love Shoplifter. Fuck you, Billie Joe Assstrong :lol:

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because the songs sound a little different doesn't mean they don't fit on the album. Those examples are pretty poor, almost all of those songs despite sounding a bit different fit on their albums.

Also Misery doesn't sound like anything GD has done but fits perfectly on Warning. Letterbomb just wouldn't fit on Warning. The style, the lyrics, everything. I guess you could change it around totally but then it wouldn't even be the same song. There is definitely a reason "Clusterbomb" was never put on Warning.

Could be a different arrangement/lyric than the version that was finalized for AI

That's common for artist to do a song but hold off on it til they are happy with it i.e. Nirvana did a demo to Radio Friendly Unit Shifter in late 1990 but didnt put it on an album til 93's In Utero

Could be a different arrangement/lyric than the version that was finalized for AI

That's common for artist to do a song but hold off on it til they are happy with it i.e. Nirvana did a demo to Radio Friendly Unit Shifter in late 1990 but didnt put it on an album til 93's In Utero

Yeah, it would have had to been.

One of the songs off AI was originally called "Radio Baghdad" which one was it again? As a matter of fact I remember seeing something on Youtube a long time ago. I'm not sure if it was HLAHG but it showed the band performing American Idiot in a studio and they had a chart with all the songs. Most of the songs had like different names like Clusterbomb and Radio Baghdad. I remember Tre said something like "The worst part of the whole process is realizing, you're never gonna make this album again".

One of the songs off AI was originally called "Radio Baghdad" which one was it again? As a matter of fact I remember seeing something on Youtube a long time ago. I'm not sure if it was HLAHG but it showed the band performing American Idiot in a studio and they had a chart with all the songs. Most of the songs had like different names like Clusterbomb and Radio Baghdad. I remember Tre said something like "The worst part of the whole process is realizing, you're never gonna make this album again".

I don't remember that one, but I do know the tour program where like Give Me Novocaine was just called Novocaine and East 12th St. was called Nobody Cares and of course Letterbomb.

Really wanna see the thing you're talking about.

does Misery sound anything like the rest of Warning? hahahah there are so many songs in Green Day albums that sound so out of place...like Good Riddance, I remember listening to Nimrod and thinking it was strange addition to the album, even Take Back seemed to fit in better.

Those examples are completely different. Misery is an intentionally weird and contrasting song, like Dominated Love Slave or King For A Day. Good Riddance fits in to Nimrod perfectly - just because it's an acoustic song, that doesn't mean that it doesn't belong in an album which features electric guitars. Letterbomb is foundationally completely musically different from anything they had written before AI. The jump from Warning to AI was so gigantic that I can't really imagine any songs on AI being reused from Warning or earlier. Songs like Letterbomb, Holiday, BOBD etc. carry an epic, electric-driven sound with sinister undertones - which is completely absent from anything they've done before. American Idiot wasn't just 'different'. It was on another planet.

Those examples are completely different. Misery is an intentionally weird and contrasting song, like Dominated Love Slave or King For A Day. Good Riddance fits in to Nimrod perfectly - just because it's an acoustic song, that doesn't mean that it doesn't belong in an album which features electric guitars. Letterbomb is foundationally completely musically different from anything they had written before AI. The jump from Warning to AI was so gigantic that I can't really imagine any songs on AI being reused from Warning or earlier. Songs like Letterbomb, Holiday, BOBD etc. carry an epic, electric-driven sound with sinister undertones - which is completely absent from anything they've done before. American Idiot wasn't just 'different'. It was on another planet.

There was a song called Clusterbomb on Warning. Letterbomb was originally called Clusterbomb. These are the two facts we know.

I don't even know what you guys are fucking talking about anymore.

I don't remember that one, but I do know the tour program where like Give Me Novocaine was just called Novocaine and East 12th St. was called Nobody Cares and of course Letterbomb.

Really wanna see the thing you're talking about.

Yeah it was years and years ago before Youtube pulled videos. I was just on there one day and I found a video called like Making of American Idiot or something. Anyway it seemed pretty professional like it wasn't an MTV thing but a real documentary, you know like really intimate. There were interviews with Billie, Mike and Tre. Toward the end of the video, the band was performing on some sort of indoor stage, in a studio I think. Next to the stage they had a chart with the tracklist w Clusterbomb and RBAGD on it. The last scene was clips of the band mixing instruments with Tre talking over it and Letterbomb accompanying the clips. Then the credits rolled.

Yeah it was years and years ago before Youtube pulled videos. I was just on there one day and I found a video called like Making of American Idiot or something. Anyway it seemed pretty professional like it wasn't an MTV thing but a real documentary, you know like really intimate. There were interviews with Billie, Mike and Tre. Toward the end of the video, the band was performing on some sort of indoor stage, in a studio I think. Next to the stage they had a chart with the tracklist w Clusterbomb and RBAGD on it. The last scene was clips of the band mixing instruments with Tre talking over it and Letterbomb accompanying the clips. Then the credits rolled.

is that the 20-minute one with St. Jimmy with slightly different lyrics?

ive been looking for a video with the different st. Jimmy! I know part says "like a stray dog on parade"

ive been looking for a video with the different st. Jimmy! I know part says "like a stray dog on parade"

Yeah, hold on, I'll jump on my laptop and see if I can find it.

Yeah, that's the one.

At 5:32 of the first video, they're jamming to Boys In The Bathroom Stall.

[Edit:] Okay, so at the very beginning of the second video there's a tracklist on the white board, but you can only see 9 tracks. It's got Welcome at the top and the two-part St. Jimmy but that's it aside from BOBD and Give Me Novocaine being shortened. There's nothing else and no Radio Baghdad.

Yeah, that's the one.

At 5:32 of the first video, they're jamming to Boys In The Bathroom Stall.

[Edit:] Okay, so at the very beginning of the second video there's a tracklist on the white board, but you can only see 9 tracks. It's got Welcome at the top and the two-part St. Jimmy but that's it aside from BOBD and Give Me Novocaine being shortened.

Oh yeah, I know! :)

And it rips off Shoplifter's vocal melody ("It's not considered stealing..." - "Amy don't you go...")

and Dirty Rotten Bastards does it, too.

Come on, Green Day, write new songs. :P

Pretty sure Radio Baghdad could be Extraordinary Girl, due to the Middle Eastern influence and it's very radio/pop influenced.

Pretty sure Radio Baghdad could be Extraordinary Girl, due to the Middle Eastern influence and it's very radio/pop influenced.

I was thinking maybe Holiday because war.

I was thinking maybe Holiday because war.

Could be. Gotta check that tracklist and see if Holiday was on there already.

and Dirty Rotten Bastards does it, too.

Come on, Green Day, write new songs. :P

Dirty Rotten Bastards... your argument is invalid

:ninja: :runaround:
I like both soooo muuuuch

Dirty Rotten Bastards... your argument is invalid

:ninja: :runaround:
I like both soooo muuuuch

Shoplifter. Your argument is terminated.

Shoplifter. Your argument is terminated.

I was just saying that if any song should be allowed to rip off Shoplifter, it's DRB :lol:

And for that matter, Deadbeat Holiday with American Eulogy too.

I was just saying that if any song should be allowed to rip off Shoplifter, it's DRB :lol:

And for that matter, Deadbeat Holiday with American Eulogy too.

No, argument invalid. :lol:

Just because it's a secret that's why that song is perfect

It seems like not a lot of bands do "secret" or bonus tracks anymore. I always wait for it after the last song, but no. Nobody does it anymore. :(

It seems like not a lot of bands do "secret" or bonus tracks anymore. I always wait for it after the last song, but no. Nobody does it anymore. :(

Eminem did it and it was the only good song on the album.

Archived