Cigarettes and Valentines

MrsBillieJoe95

I think Roshambo is for sure. For me they lyrics just fit. They obviously changed the music, but still.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No way... they said they'd looked at each other after American Idiot was done saying "this is better". They knew it was "above anything else we had ever done".

Is that theory suggesting they've written, recorded and edited 20 songs just to destroy them for that cause? That's hella stupid.

No they never made Cigs and Valentines. It was all made up.

We honestly need to get GD's attention with a campaign or something telling them that we want C&V!

You know, after some time has passed that is. I eventually want to hear this album badly. But for now, I'm just happy Billie is okay and they're touring again! :D

I recon this is the case too. Warner still own the rights I guess so probably the best chance for the songs to be officially released in any way would be for green day either to leave Reprise or split up. A major label would hate to see such a money making act go so would then to release everything they have ever done over the period of the next 40 years (Look at Nirvana, 2pac and Jimi hendrix for examples of this, a "new album" by Jimi hendrix was released this year and hes been dead for 43 years!) I recon around 2034 warner will release a super mega deluxe version of AI including all b sides, c + v, heart like a hand grenade, bullet in a bible, 300 page booklet of photographs, commemorative mug and teaspoon set and it will cost in the region of $3500 (inflation and that)

wow, well thought out, and sadly, all the chumps like me would buy it...

but i think they should release almost see-through awesome colored vinyls for all the albums and EP's (Including B-sids, and C+G), special edition CD's, shirts for all of them,

along with a list of their favorite drugs, in order from favorite to least favorite

along with a list of their favorite drugs, in order from favorite to least favorite

a list of their favorite drugs, in order from favorite to least favorite

a list of their favorite drugs, in order

a list of their favorite drugs

a list of drugs

a list

I didn't take the time to read the whole thread but I'm sure what I'm going to say it's been said quite a few times.

I think the band never "lost" the demos or the masters, they just decided it was not good enough and left it aside. But, since The Network's album, they have been releasing songs from that scrapped album. These are the songs I considered to be part of it (Not in an actual order):

- Roshambo

- She's a Rebel

- Letterbomb

- Sally

- Murder City

- Cigarettes And Valentines (duh)

- Stay The Night

- Fell For You

- Angel Blue

- Stray Heart

- Sex, Drugs & Violence

- Walk Away

It's obviously that with both concept albums (American Idiot, 21st CB) the band couldn't allow that many songs 'cause they won't fit in the theme, so my guess it's that there are a big amount of trilogy songs that could be on C&V.

You can't include songs from AI or 21stCBD in that list cuz those songs relate to the album's plot!

No one ever gets it though.

No they never made Cigs and Valentines. It was all made up.

That's still a really stupid theory. They would never do such a thing as inventing an album just to say it was stolen.

Are you saying Billie Joe actually wrote the song C&V before they played it back in the 21stCBD tour just to cover up the lost album?

Maybe some other record label was responsible for the stealing, who knows.Maybe they wanted Warner to suffer loss.But it's kinda good it happened.Otherwise we would not have American Idiot.And yes, they could have worked on the title track a bit and maybe put it in the trilogy.

You can't post the first 4 or the last 2, they're copyrighted. But great artwork!

90% Probably

Cigarettes and Valentines

Too Much too Soon

Shoplifter

Hearts Collide

Minnesota Girl

Walk Away

Things I Heard Today

What About Today

Maybe:

Boys In the Bathroom Stall

Why Does it Always Rain on Me?

Letterbomb (Known as Clusterbomb then)

Wake Me Up When September Ends

Olivia

Roshambo

Supermodel Robots

Unheard (from 1997-2003)

Dropout

Sleepyhead

Wastaway

Bob's Your Uncle

Alfred E. Normal

They said they had 19 tracks.

Horseshoes and Handgrenades too.

I have a theory that the master tapes were misplaced/erased and they were unable to find them, the band had said they weren't really enjoying it so much during the making of this album, so they took a brief break after not being able to find the masters and not being interested/motivated enough to re-record because they did not believe it to be "maximum Green Day". During this time Billie started to write other write other songs which he believed to be better so he took that trip to New York to find inspiration. And around here he became motivated to write songs like American Idiot, and then after thinking about what character can come out of that like he mentioned in BIAB, they were able to write the rest of the album. Now that may seem like a short amount of time to give up on an album, but I guess it can happen, Eminem expressed disappointment with his 2009 album not even a year after it was released, so after they decided that the new stuff they were writing was better they decided not to release C&V but rather recycle some riffs and lyrics from it where necessary.

I don't know, any of these theories are possible.

Pretty sure Bob's Your Uncle was just a working title for Jackass.

Horseshoes and Handgrenades too.

Pretty sure that is an Insomniac/Nimrod song which Butch Vig convinced them to record. Although they may have decided to put it on C&V.

Pretty sure Bob's Your Uncle was just a working title for Jackass.

Idk. That's what they say, but it sounds like the title of a Tre song.

Good point, it may have been. But we'll probably never know for sure unless Green Day confirms it.

Good point, it may have been. But we'll probably never know for sure unless Green Day confirms it.

sorry im on my phone and was just trying to get to the end of the thread without flipping through countless pages

sorry im on my phone and was just trying to get to the end of the thread without flipping through countless pages

Lol. I do that sometimes too

I have a theory that the master tapes were misplaced/erased and they were unable to find them, the band had said they weren't really enjoying it so much during the making of this album, so they took a brief break after not being able to find the masters and not being interested/motivated enough to re-record because they did not believe it to be "maximum Green Day". During this time Billie started to write other write other songs which he believed to be better so he took that trip to New York to find inspiration. And around here he became motivated to write songs like American Idiot, and then after thinking about what character can come out of that like he mentioned in BIAB, they were able to write the rest of the album. Now that may seem like a short amount of time to give up on an album, but I guess it can happen, Eminem expressed disappointment with his 2009 album not even a year after it was released, so after they decided that the new stuff they were writing was better they decided not to release C&V but rather recycle some riffs and lyrics from it where necessary.

I don't know, any of these theories are possible.

I'm sure they recycled a lot of the riffs and lyrics. Pretty convinced that Extraordinary Girl is from C&V. To me it doesn't fully fit in with AI, but they were happy with it and it seemed to fit in fairly well, so they kept it. Assuming they recycled it, I'm sure they tweaked the lyrics a bit to make it fit a bit better on Idiot.

I'm willing to help as much as I can with making a real Cigarettes and Valentines bootleg album. However, I'd change the tracklist to this one (In no particular order):

Cigarettes and Valentines (This is 100% confirmed)

Too Much too Soon (This was confirmed to be a C&V song too)

Shoplifter (I'm not completely sure on this one, but it seems to fit)

Hearts Collide (Possibly a C&V song, but definately not for sure. It'd fit the overall style though, so why not)

Minnesota Girl (I can see this song being on C&V, being a continuation of Good Riddance and Macy's Day Parade)

Walk Away (Same name as the C&V song, most probably the same song)

Things I Heard Today (It's a shame the recording is in acoustic, I'm pretty sure this would've been an all-out punk song. Ah well, I'm pretty sure it belongs on the album)

Olivia (Yeah, pretty sure that this was on C&V)

Lights Out, I don't know about...

Do we have any evidence that Olivia was on C&V? It seems like something that's everyone's just assuming

Do we have any evidence that Olivia was on C&V? It seems like something that's everyone's just assuming

I believe at this point it's just an assumption. As far as I can remember, we've never really been told anything by GD or anyone associate with them about Olivia.

I believe at this point it's just an assumption. As far as I can remember, we've never really been told anything by GD or anyone associate with them about Olivia.

I think it's also got to do with the song being played live around the same time as Cigarettes and Valentines was played. That, and the fact that Wikipedia lists it as a song from C&V (but yeah, wikipedia xD)

I think it's also got to do with the song being played live around the same time as Cigarettes and Valentines was played. That, and the fact that Wikipedia lists it as a song from C&V (but yeah, wikipedia xD)

Yeah it's probably wrong if it's on Wiki :lol: I'd check the source if it gives one where it says it's from C&V if I were you :P

I wouldn't doubt it too much if it's from C&V. I'm willing to bet that there's some songs from the Trilogy that were recycled from C&V as well (which would make sense considering they started playing C&V at some of their shows then played Olivia and we were all totally amazed about them. I'm sure they wanted to see how we would react and then secretly reused some of the songs/riffs)

Yeah it's probably wrong if it's on Wiki :lol: I'd check the source if it gives one where it says it's from C&V if I were you :P

Yeah, the source doesn't work anymore. But I know that Wiki is the least trustable source in anything anyways xD

Still, we should really make this bootleg Cigarettes and Valentines. It'd be a great way to bundle all the songs we already have, and it might also shine a light on some of the B-sides that never got a lot of attention.

Yeah, the source doesn't work anymore. But I know that Wiki is the least trustable source in anything anyways xD

Still, we should really make this bootleg Cigarettes and Valentines. It'd be a great way to bundle all the songs we already have, and it might also shine a light on some of the B-sides that never got a lot of attention.

I don't think it's a bad idea, but I think stupid people will see it, spread word that it's been leaked, and it'll cause a big confusion. I'd rather wait until it actually gets released

Archived