Cigarettes and Valentines

MrsBillieJoe95

another theory is that they had accidentally deleted it from the harddrive in the studio. Then they decided that it was not so good to redo it.

For the songs on it, the phone message song that eventually became Spike would be there.

I dont think it was recorded on computers tho

Mike has said they have back up on DAT tapes if it was on computer they would have no need to do DAT copies ...

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Network stole it and released it as their own

or

they're slowly releasing the tracks on different albums, and i think we've actually heard a good chunk of the album without realizing it

another theory is that they had accidentally deleted it from the harddrive in the studio. Then they decided that it was not so good to redo it.

For the songs on it, the phone message song that eventually became Spike would be there.

1. That song didn't become spike. It has it's own name, What About Today , and it's may sound similar, but its lyrics are completely different.

they're slowly releasing the tracks on different albums, and i think we've actually heard a good chunk of the album without realizing it

I recon this is the case too. Warner still own the rights I guess so probably the best chance for the songs to be officially released in any way would be for green day either to leave Reprise or split up. A major label would hate to see such a money making act go so would then to release everything they have ever done over the period of the next 40 years (Look at Nirvana, 2pac and Jimi hendrix for examples of this, a "new album" by Jimi hendrix was released this year and hes been dead for 43 years!) I recon around 2034 warner will release a super mega deluxe version of AI including all b sides, c + v, heart like a hand grenade, bullet in a bible, 300 page booklet of photographs, commemorative mug and teaspoon set and it will cost in the region of $3500 (inflation and that)

* also around the same time they will release a trilogy boxset including Cuatro! to the general public :P

If the whole style of the album is like the song C&V then no way they just let it go to waste!

I think it was indeed stolen.

Seriously, 20 songs all done recording and editing and all that.. why would they destroy that and say it was stolen?

Why not just saying they didn't like it?

Whatever the case is, I would love to hear more songs out of that album in the future!

Does anyone have a tracklist, fake or not from the album? I gathered a handful from the internets:

1.Cigarettes and

Valentines

2.Walk Away

3.Olivia

4.Too Much, Too

Soon

5.Drop Out

are there anymore that people have heard rumored to be on the album?

It was called Dropout Sleepyhead

If the whole style of the album is like the song C&V then no way they just let it go to waste!

I think it was indeed stolen.

Seriously, 20 songs all done recording and editing and all that.. why would they destroy that and say it was stolen?

Why not just saying they didn't like it?

Whatever the case is, I would love to hear more songs out of that album in the future!

There's a theory they made the whole album up to cover for American Idiot. They were about to release an album with a brand new sound. If it succeeded, they could say "I'm so glad we lost that Cig and Val album and started over." If it bombed, they could have said "Well we had a great album but it was stolen, so we had to put this together last minute."

There's a theory they made the whole album up to cover for American Idiot. They were about to release an album with a brand new sound. If it succeeded, they could say "I'm so glad we lost that Cig and Val album and started over." If it bombed, they could have said "Well we had a great album but it was stolen, so we had to put this together last minute."

No way... they said they'd looked at each other after American Idiot was done saying "this is better". They knew it was "above anything else we had ever done".

Is that theory suggesting they've written, recorded and edited 20 songs just to destroy them for that cause? That's hella stupid.

It was called Dropout Sleepyhead

Dropout and Sleepyhead were two different songs. Sleepyhead was dropped from Warning

Dropout and Sleepyhead were two different songs. Sleepyhead was dropped from Warning

Came here to say that.

I remember seeing "Sleepyhead" and "Waste Away" on a list posted in either the Poprocks & Coke or alternate Warning video way way back.

I just watched the DJ Rosstar interview again and Mike says it is one song, although he did seem to have a hard time remembering some songs from the past.

I didn't take the time to read the whole thread but I'm sure what I'm going to say it's been said quite a few times.

I think the band never "lost" the demos or the masters, they just decided it was not good enough and left it aside. But, since The Network's album, they have been releasing songs from that scrapped album. These are the songs I considered to be part of it (Not in an actual order):

- Roshambo

- She's a Rebel

- Letterbomb

- Sally

- Murder City

- Cigarettes And Valentines (duh)

- Stay The Night

- Fell For You

- Angel Blue

- Stray Heart

- Sex, Drugs & Violence

- Walk Away

It's obviously that with both concept albums (American Idiot, 21st CB) the band couldn't allow that many songs 'cause they won't fit in the theme, so my guess it's that there are a big amount of trilogy songs that could be on C&V.

I've got a feeling that they kept the lyrics but changed the music to the songs to makes them sound like they fit on the album there on

Murder City was the last song written for Breakdown. They were literally about to finalize the track list when Billie came to the studio with that. So I wouldn't list it among C&V possibilities.

I didn't take the time to read the whole thread but I'm sure what I'm going to say it's been said quite a few times.

I think the band never "lost" the demos or the masters, they just decided it was not good enough and left it aside. But, since The Network's album, they have been releasing songs from that scrapped album. These are the songs I considered to be part of it (Not in an actual order):

- Roshambo

- She's a Rebel

- Letterbomb

- Sally

- Murder City

- Cigarettes And Valentines (duh)

- Stay The Night

- Fell For You

- Angel Blue

- Stray Heart

- Sex, Drugs & Violence

- Walk Away

It's obviously that with both concept albums (American Idiot, 21st CB) the band couldn't allow that many songs 'cause they won't fit in the theme, so my guess it's that there are a big amount of trilogy songs that could be on C&V.

Murder City? Billie wrote that song around feb/march 2009

Also, there is no way songs like Stray Heart would be scrapped, it's just too good too be scrapped. I think Walk Away is a different song, just with the same name.

"Murder City was written January 8th, 2009 after the riots about the BART Police shooting of Oscar Grant"

Murder City? Billie wrote that song around feb/march 2009

Also, there is no way songs like Stray Heart would be scrapped, it's just too good too be scrapped. I think Walk Away is a different song, just with the same name.

It's just my opinion, maybe they had the music written but not the lyrics. I could be like that with all of the songs I listed. Maybe Stray Heart was missing something on that moment, so they decided it wasn't good enough; then when the time came, they found out what's missing, and they recorded it and put in on ¡Dos!.

It would be cool if they would release it like My Chemical Romance does at the moment which their album, each 2 months they release 2 songs.

Altough I think we already heard half of cigarettes and valentines :P

It would be cool if they would release it like My Chemical Romance does at the moment which their album, each 2 months they release 2 songs.

Altough I think we already heard half of cigarettes and valentines :P

That plan wouldn't work for me. I get absolutely sick of a song if I listen to it for days on end without a palate cleanser of some sort. That's why LP's are so great - you only hear a song every 35-60 minutes.

Ohhhh okay

This whole album and the aftermath is such a conspiracy. Nobody will know what happened, not even Green Day! :o

All I know is that I would like them to re-record the tracks someday down the road. Sure we've already gotten songs like "Cigarettes And Valentines" and "Walk Away", but I'd like to hear it all :)

But look at it this way. Had Cigarettes and Valentines been released, then we would never gotten American Idiot. It's a fucking masterpiece. Everything happens for a reason.

Hey guys so i'm gonna be putting up a version of Green Day's Cigarettes and Valentines. Part Live Cuts, Part Studio, Part Reworking of the Demos. And here is the artwork i made for it. I've used for the front cover, a previously made cover but i have modified it; and for the back i used a picture from the Green Day Rhapsody Ad with the Reference to C&V.

cvfront.jpg

cvback.jpg

Okay what songs are we 100% sure are from Cigarettes and Valentines that have been released/heard?

Hey guys so i'm gonna be putting up a version of Green Day's Cigarettes and Valentines. Part Live Cuts, Part Studio, Part Reworking of the Demos. And here is the artwork i made for it. I've used for the front cover, a previously made cover but i have modified it; and for the back i used a picture from the Green Day Rhapsody Ad with the Reference to C&V.

cvfront.jpg

cvback.jpg

You can't post the first 4 or the last 2, they're copyrighted. But great artwork!

Okay what songs are we 100% sure are from Cigarettes and Valentines that have been released/heard?

90% Probably

Cigarettes and Valentines

Too Much too Soon

Shoplifter

Hearts Collide

Minnesota Girl

Walk Away

Things I Heard Today

What About Today

Maybe:

Boys In the Bathroom Stall

Why Does it Always Rain on Me?