Cigarettes and Valentines

MrsBillieJoe95

You're talking about the trilogy songs, then? Cause... Only about five of them have been released.

Anyway, I think Too Much Too Soon is good but I disagree.

Only about five?

You're fucking with me, right?

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only about five?

You're fucking with me, right?

Uh, no... I'm talking official releases. The rest are live and/or low quality audio.

Too much too soon is from C&V sessions??? Didn't know it.

Shoplifter was considered a kind of single from C&V, that's why there is this single cover for this song.

Shoplifter_Green_Day.jpg

Too much too soon is from C&V sessions??? Didn't know it.

Shoplifter was considered a kind of single from C&V, that's why there is this single cover for this song.

Shoplifter_Green_Day.jpg

Yes, that was avalible through itunes. Good point. And it came out before AI? I forgot about that.

No way more. There were roughly 30 songs that didn't make it on the trilogy they said.

Yes but have we heard them? no, I'm only talking about the ones we've heard, which is 21stCB, when its time, oh love, kill the dj, let yourself go, nuclear family, stay the night, carp diem, nightlife, lady cobra, angel blue, rusty james and a few more

If they already released Cigs and Val, Olivia, Shoplifter, Lights Out and Hearts Collide....then why not just release the entire thing as a new Shenanigans? :happy:

Billie definitely said Too Much Too Soon was on C&V. I don't know what interview it was but he did, it was discussed extensively on here at the time.

If they already released Cigs and Val, Olivia, Shoplifter, Lights Out and Hearts Collide....then why not just release the entire thing as a new Shenanigans? :happy:

As far as I know the only song out of those the band has said was on there is C&V. Lights Out and Hearts Collide were 21st CB b-sides and Olivia was first played at 21st CB shows so I can't see much reason to assume they were on there. Any of the songs they've put out since 2002/3 might've been on there but we have no way of knowing which ones unless the band says so.

I just realized, we need C&V. You can't go from Macy's Day Parade to American Idiot. C&V is the transition from Warning to AI. Its that gap that defines "Old Green Day" and "New Green Day". If that gap was filled in, there wouldn't be such an obvious difference in sound and we would be able to see Green Day's evolution more clearly. All the people that were so shocked with the new feel of AI might not have been so shocked if C&V was there to guide them into the new feel. Imagine going straight from warning to 21cb without American Idiot. That would've been crazy.

I just realized, we need C&V. You can't go from Macy's Day Parade to American Idiot. C&V is the transition from Warning to AI. Its that gap that defines "Old Green Day" and "New Green Day". If that gap was filled in, there wouldn't be such an obvious difference in sound and we would be able to see Green Day's evolution more clearly. All the people that were so shocked with the new feel of AI might not have been so shocked if C&V was there to guide them into the new feel. Imagine going straight from warning to 21cb without American Idiot. That would've been crazy.

I think Warning is the bridge on that gap. Musically it's different from anything they've done before or since so I'd say musically it doesn't really fit with either "old" or "new". Lyrically it was the album where they started to make the change from very much inward looking lyrics about themselves to far more outward looking lyrics concerning the wider world and society. Songs like Warning, Macy's Day Parade, Maria (a Warning b-side), Fashion Victim, Deadbeat Holiday and Minority aren't only looking in like most of the songs on earlier Green Day albums, they're looking out to the world and the things that are wrong with it. Warning is the bridge from the inward looking personal lyrics of "old" Green Day to the outward looking political lyrics of "new" Green Day. Definitely agree that hearing C&V would make the transition even smoother and clearer, but it's there to be seen on Warning too.

You know what? You make a very good point. There was such a jump from Warning to American Idiot - like they got so much better and just different, it's clear that we're missing an important part of that evolution. It would be really interesting to hear Cigarettes & Valentines, and hear how Warning transitions into C&V and how that transitions into AI. It would make so much more sense to hear that missing link. I hope they release it someday. Even as part of a rarities collection (maybe a 2 CD thing - bunch of rarities on the 1st disc, and then C&V on the 2nd disc. That'd be good!)

Edit: Just want to add that, as Hermione mentioned right before me, Warning itself does represent a change in how they were writing their songs. They became more worldly and deep. Billie's lyrics started getting really good, especially with Warning. He was always a great lyricist, but something about Waning just seemed worlds better than before, amazingly. So Warning definitely shows a lot of important elements that appear on American Idiot. But hearing that extra step would be nifty. Not sure where the Network fits in though! :lol:

I've always wondered how much of C&V was used on American Idiot. Like C&V couldn't have been without some good qualities. A riff here, a lyric there... I imagine that might be part of why they wouldn't release it. I mean what could they possibly be hiding?

I've always wondered how much of C&V was used on American Idiot. Like C&V couldn't have been without some good qualities. A riff here, a lyric there... I imagine that might be part of why they wouldn't release it. I mean what could they possibly be hiding?

yes maybe they had a few Songs and then the Story about Jesus of Suburbia came up and they decided to make new Songs and kick the others away

I remember, shortly after the band started recording the elusive C&V album, that some poor quality demos made it onto the web. These turned out to be early versions of Network songs. Maybe some of C&V was eventually released on Money Money 2020?

I still have the demos saved somewhere

OMG you have some demos??? can you send them to me ? This would be so awesome (even if they are Nework demos or someting i'd really like to have them :) )

Thank you :)

OMG you have some demos??? can you send them to me ? This would be so awesome (even if they are Nework demos or someting i'd really like to have them :) )

Thank you :)

damit the quate didnt work i will repare this :P

who has demos? I want them to :D

who has demos? I want them to :D

Robbie Random said on the end of the first page that he has some demos somwhere on his pc....

What About Today, Things I Heard Today, and Minnesota Girl are the demos. Also Boys in the Bathroom Stall if you count it (you probably don't).

They're fucking everywhere. Go search the internet instead of waiting for someone to upload them and post them here.

BitBS might be harder to find than the other three, so someone probably should upload that one.

What About Today, Things I Heard Today, and Minnesota Girl are the demos. Also Boys in the Bathroom Stall if you count it (you probably don't).

They're fucking everywhere. Go search the internet instead of waiting for someone to upload them and post them here.

BitBS might be harder to find than the other three, so someone probably should upload that one.

ok i looked them up tuned out i already knew What About Today, Things I Heard Today i just not thought this would count as demo but i can't find Minnesota Girl only the live version they played once

OMG Boys in the Bathroom Stall is the song they played in the Making of american Idiot Video ( where trè plays the accordion, billie and mike scratch on someting (don't know how they are called) to make a beat

OMG Boys in the Bathroom Stall is the song they played in the Making of american Idiot Video ( where trè plays the accordion, billie and mike scratch on someting (don't know how they are called) Washboard to make a beat http://youtu.be/psE5qSh39Mo?t=4m50s

Holy shit, never realized that! Amazing!

i feel that it wasn't stolen (like 2 guys in ski-masks broke in at night and stole it) it may have been that it got erased or misplaced.

i also think that the C&V that we hear now may not be the original one, just because if it was misplaced "accidentally" they must have thought it wasn't to good then.

It was The Network. They stole the album so they could do a better job at mimicking the bands vocals.

I have a hard time believing it was stolen too. There was no leaks, even after all this time. Weren't they pretty far on in the recording of Cigarettes? So the leaked songs probably wouldn't have surfaced as any of the unreleased demos floating around that are poor quality (i know of one).

But if Green Day did just scrap Cigarettes, they why not say so? Why make half-arsed attempts at lying that the tapes were stolen? What would be wrong in them saying "Yeah, we recorded an album, but we figured it wasn't all that and we could do a whole lot better so we started afresh and so American Idiot came to be which sure as hell silenced any claims that Green Day were dead."

• 5 months later...

wouldn't it be awesome if green day reissued all of their studio albums on vinyl as a box set, included outtakes and unreleased demos of the respective albums and added c&v?

wouldn't it be awesome if green day reissued all of their studio albums on vinyl as a box set, included outtakes and unreleased demos of the respective albums and added c&v?

THIS!!

That'd be cool but unreasonably expensive. I for one greatly dislike vinyl and would prefer this same pack in a commerative CD/Book set as an option instead.

Also, I don't believe the group lied. They have nothing to gain from lieing about it unless it was a lie to the label itself. No leaks have surfaced because who ever leaked it would be in a hell of a lot of trouble and would be quickly found out.

Archived