Cigarettes and Valentines

MrsBillieJoe95

I bet Roshambo had something to do with C&V. It has a very Green Day sound and if you imagine listening to it stripped of all the effects and shit it would totally fit.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet Roshambo had something to do with C&V. It has a very Green Day sound and if you imagine listening to it stripped of all the effects and shit it would totally fit.

It doesn't really match the description of C&V though

It doesn't really match the description of C&V though

Yeah sounds more like what it is, a song they made after they'd decided they weren't pushing themselves hard enough with C&V and had moved on to experiment with lots of new and different sounds in an attempt to make a more challenging album which would end up being American Idiot. Always kind of reminds me of Letterbomb.

I still believe the American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown B-sides were meant for Cigarrettes & Valentines. The AI B-sides were not recorded during the AI sessions. Let's look at the credits for those songs though...

The Network Money Money 2020 - Produced by (None listed, the band most likely), Engineered Chris Dugan, Reto Peter (either or both dending on the track).

American Idiot Album - Produced by Rob Cavallo & Green Day, Engineered by Doug McKean

Favorite Son - Produced by Rob Cavallo, Engineered by Doug McKean (Credits found inside Japanese pressing of AI)

Too Much Too Soon - Produced by Green Day, Engineered by Reto Peter, Mixed by Tim James for Rock Mafia

Shoplifter - Produced by Green Day, Engineered by Chris Dugan & Reto Peter, Mixed by Tim James for Rock Mafia

Govenator - Produced by Green Day, Engineered by Chris Dugan & Reto Peter

Lights Out - Produced by Green Day, Engineered by Chris Dugan

Hearts Collide - Produced by Green Day, Engineered by Chris Dugan

The only track that could possibly be from the actual C&V sessions would be Favorite Son, because it's the only track produced by Rob Cavallo. It can't be from the AI sessions because the AI tracks were all recorded at the same time and in sequemce (many interviews from that time state that and the AI tour program shows the songs written on the studio board). By reading these credits you can see that most were recorded at the same time as The Network album.

What makes it interesting is that Too Much Too Soon and Shoplifter were mixed by someone from Rock Mafia, which a big Hollywood rmusic production team. This may indicate that either the label or the band were seeking outside help to make the songs more catchier to ensure that C&V would have hit songs. My official opinion is that the AI & 21CB B-sides are demos/pre-production tracks of songs what were being worked on for C&V and were then given a professional mix before being released as B-sides.

I don't think that C&V was ever an album that was scrapped or stolen. I believe that the song Cigarettes and Valentines had existed prior to American Idiot, along with other materials that they either tossed out or reused, but unless I'm missing some vital information, I don't think they had a proper album pre-recorded and mixed.

I still think Hearts Collide and Lights Out are 21st sessions the production is way to Vig-ish to NOT be Vig

I still think Hearts Collide and Lights Out are 21st sessions the production is way to Vig-ish to NOT be Vig

Butch Vig isn't credited anywhere for those songs though. The criedits for them are on the Know Your Enemy single. Notice the guitar and drum tones are different from the rest of the album also. Vig may have picked them for the B-sides though if he liked them. You never know.

Butch Vig isn't credited anywhere for those songs though. The criedits for them are on the Know Your Enemy single. Notice the guitar and drum tones are different from the rest of the album also. Vig may have picked them for the B-sides though if he liked them. You never know.

They could be from an early Vig session Vig's engineer at Vig's home studio said GD spent a week at the studio but said none of the songs were used for the album

like I said the production style is too close to Vig's

Listen to Maria or Poprocks or Warning Green Day doesn't produce in Vig's style

But not saying they are Vig I just don't buy GD being able to produce exactly like Vig at all i would buy a story of Billie killing Elvis before I buy GD producing just like Vig

I'm sorry, who was Butch Vig? was he their audio engineer? :P

He was the "producer" of 21st Century Breakdown.

I'm sorry, who was Butch Vig? was he their audio engineer? :P

Producer for 21st Century also produced Nirvana's Nevermind the last two Foo Fighters albums the producer/drummer for Garbage

• 6 months later...

If everyone is saying letterbomb (clusterbomb) was for c&v then wouldn't that mean extraordinary girl would also be on there cause it leads into letterbomb?

If everyone is saying letterbomb (clusterbomb) was for c&v then wouldn't that mean extraordinary girl would also be on there cause it leads into letterbomb?

Just because they lead into each other on the album (because of 'noise'), doesn't mean they were always meant to 'be together', like "Are We the Waiting/St. Jimmy" or "Brain Stew/Jaded".

Welcome to the board, btw :)

Yeah, Haushinka was written on the Kerplunk tour and Jinx probably wasn't written until after Insomniac. Songs evolve.

I started a thread and was immeadiatly shot down, sorry everyone again. Anyway here was my opinion:

What an album Cigarettes and Valentines could've been! Cigarettes and Valentines is one of my favourite songs, Too Much Too Soon is amazing and IMO should've been a track on AI. Brutal Love was apparently written for CaV originally and that's another great track. If all the tracks were as good as the ones we know about then it could've been an amazing album!

I hope at the very least the boys do a studio version of the song CaV, at least as a B-side on new albums

I started a thread and was immeadiatly shot down, sorry everyone again. Anyway here was my opinion:

What an album Cigarettes and Valentines could've been! Cigarettes and Valentines is one of my favourite songs, Too Much Too Soon is amazing and IMO should've been a track on AI. Brutal Love was apparently written for CaV originally and that's another great track. If all the tracks were as good as the ones we know about then it could've been an amazing album!

I hope at the very least the boys do a studio version of the song CaV, at least as a B-side on new albums

Brutal Love has never once been implied that it was on C&V

Brutal Love has never once been implied that it was on C&V

Ah crap you're right. It's 'walk away' which people on here believe to be an slightly different version of Brutal Love. It may well not be.

I am embarrassing myself today with my constant stupidity on here

Ah crap you're right. It's 'walk away' which people on here believe to be an slightly different version of Brutal Love. It may well not be.

I am embarrassing myself today with my constant stupidity on here

No biggie

Walk away is the song that may or may not have been for C&V

personally I think it's a whole new song as the lyrics aren't exactly up to par as they were in the time frame of C&V but I could always be wrong on my hunch

No biggie

Walk away is the song that may or may not have been for C&V

personally I think it's a whole new song as the lyrics aren't exactly up to par as they were in the time frame of C&V but I could always be wrong on my hunch

If you imagine the verses being palm muted and distorted with a solid 16th note hi hat beat it could've fit I recorded a demo of it like that once i should finish it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've spent a year thinking about this and listening to music and lyric similarities and come up with a possible track list that might I think the album might've looked like:

1) Olivia

2) Cigarettes and Valentines

3) State of Shock

4) Sex, Drugs & Violence

5) Dropout

6) Favorite Son

7) Fell For You

8) Stray Heart

9) Shoplifter

10) Hearts Collide

11) Minnesota Girl

12) Too Much Too Soon

13) She's a Saint Not a Celebrity

14) Ashley

15) Roshambo

16) Governator

17) Lights Out

18) Angel Blue

19) Drama Queen

20) Walk Away

5) Dropout

Where's this from? I don't recall it.

My interview with Mike Dirnt is where he said Dropout, Sleepyhead, Waste Away.

Why so many trilogy songs? There's no indictaion any besides Walk Away that any were written pre-2010.

Archived