Cigarettes and Valentines

MrsBillieJoe95

Those are two different songs, What About Today was probably a Cigarettes & Valentines song, and it was posted on Green Day.com in 2001, so it wasn't an old song. World vs World is a song from 1989 that there are only 3 live recordings of

What About Today: https://soundcloud.com/todd409/green-day-what-about-today

World Vs. World: www.youtube.com/watch?v=isIxyfUYvAM

Do you have the full high school talent show performance of World vs. World? I've only seen the little 20 second clip of it.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have the full high school talent show performance of World vs. World? I've only seen the little 20 second clip of it.

No, that's all that has surfaced

Personally how I think it went down was like this. They recorded the album. Didn't like it or maybe the record label didn't like either way they decided to say the masters were stolen as a way to explain the delay of a new studio album to fans. This last bit is just my own speculation but, I imagine some of the trilogy songs may have been Cigarettes and Valentine tracks that may have just been reworked for the trilogy. I could be wrong but just my thoughts.

They recorded the album didn't like it so they claim it was stolen from a secured studio and re started and did American Idiot

I think this is likely but I also think the label may have had something to do with it. Unless I'm wrong, the label has to review all demo tapes before allowing them to be recorded. After Warning did terribly, Warner didn't want another flop, so they told Green Day they couldn't record C&V. Some crap about them being stolen was announced to the public and we eventually got AI.

Hmmm, I wonder if there will be another 'stolen' album in the next couple of years...?

I think this is likely but I also think the label may have had something to do with it. Unless I'm wrong, the label has to review all demo tapes before allowing them to be recorded. After Warning did terribly, Warner didn't want another flop, so they told Green Day they couldn't record C&V. Some crap about them being stolen was announced to the public and we eventually got AI.

Hmmm, I wonder if there will be another 'stolen' album in the next couple of years...?

Warner doesn't review demos... No label I have dealt with has ever done that...

Warner doesn't review demos... No label I have dealt with has ever done that...

Well there goes my theory then! :lol: I'm sure I read that somewhere and so I made up my theory.... never mind!

It might be that they were working on 2 albums at that time, C&V and AI, and they realized that what if they both didn't work, so they decided to release both the albums, but with 2 different name, The Networks Money Money 2020, and Green Day's American Idiot. and AI reached really really high. they succeeded in doing their job, and they made a statement, "Master tapes, were stolen" but the real part was that master tapes were stolen but for NETWORKS, so they did their job. releasing both the albums.... ONLY AN OPINION.!!, rest you imagine!

Well, I read somewhere (don't know where, don't know what the source was) that Walk Away off Tré was originally off C&V, and I think Stay the Night was as well, as they played it in the sound test for a Dublin gig in '09. And I saw somewhere that Fuck Time was originally a Foxboro Hot Tubs song, so the Trilogy probably has a fair amount of stuff that was originally recorded for other things.

It might be that they were working on 2 albums at that time, C&V and AI, and they realized that what if they both didn't work, so they decided to release both the albums, but with 2 different name, The Networks Money Money 2020, and Green Day's American Idiot. and AI reached really really high. they succeeded in doing their job, and they made a statement, "Master tapes, were stolen" but the real part was that master tapes were stolen but for NETWORKS, so they did their job. releasing both the albums.... ONLY AN OPINION.!!, rest you imagine!

Nah C&V wasn't The Network, the band have said it was simple Green Day sounding songs not too different to Warning. And we've heard a couple of songs from it (Cigarettes and Valentines, Too Much Too Soon and others as well I think? Can't remember which ones) including the title track which back that up, they obviously don't sound like The Network.

I pretty much believe the band's story minus the stolen tapes part which they've always made clear wasn't totally truthful anyway. They made an album and realized it wasn't "maximum Green Day" as they put it so scrapped it and decided to push themselves to make a better one. The Network album was a product of all the many ways they experimented musically while in the very creative period of making the better album. They made up the stolen tapes part as a more interesting and less potentially embarrassing explanation for realizing it'd be a good idea to start again but otherwise it seems legit.

Well, I read somewhere (don't know where, don't know what the source was) that Walk Away off Tré was originally off C&V, and I think Stay the Night was as well, as they played it in the sound test for a Dublin gig in '09. And I saw somewhere that Fuck Time was originally a Foxboro Hot Tubs song, so the Trilogy probably has a fair amount of stuff that was originally recorded for other things.

Stay the night is not a C&V song

Mike said in 2010 while discussing C&V that there was a song called Walk Away but we have zero proof that the Walk Away on ¡Tre! is the same as the one that was meant for C&V

Nah C&V wasn't The Network, the band have said it was simple Green Day sounding songs not too different to Warning. And we've heard a couple of songs from it (Cigarettes and Valentines, Too Much Too Soon and others as well I think? Can't remember which ones) including the title track which back that up, they obviously don't sound like The Network.

I pretty much believe the band's story minus the stolen tapes part which they've always made clear wasn't totally truthful anyway. They made an album and realized it wasn't "maximum Green Day" as they put it so scrapped it and decided to push themselves to make a better one. The Network album was a product of all the many ways they experimented musically while in the very creative period of making the better album. They made up the stolen tapes part as a more interesting and less potentially embarrassing explanation for realizing it'd be a good idea to start again but otherwise it seems legit.

but, hold on, if Too much too soon, Walkaway, Stay the night, Dream Catcher, were part of that album, then it would have been a great album, still wish DREAM CATCHER would be released as a lead single for their next stuff O:)

but, hold on, if Too much too soon, Walkaway, Stay the night, Dream Catcher, were part of that album, then it would have been a great album, still wish DREAM CATCHER would be released as a lead single for their next stuff O:)

Yeah they're cool songs no doubt, I don't think the band thought they were bad, they just knew they could push themselves further and do even better. Which is probably why they've been happy to release some of the songs later on. Hopefully more will end up coming out in the future!

Stay The Night and Dream Catcher are not from C&V tho...

Why is it everyone wants to label every unreleased Green Day song to be from C&V?

The only song that we know is from C&V is the song C&V. How do we know about Too Much Too Soon?

Stay the night is not a C&V song

Mike said in 2010 while discussing C&V that there was a song called Walk Away but we have zero proof that the Walk Away on ¡Tre! is the same as the one that was meant for C&V

Well, the name is proof. :lol:

I just found this. Apparently they had 42 songs and Billie was stoked on 8. I've always heard it was about 20 songs, but 42? Damn.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030806115508/http://www.undercover.com.au/news/2003/20030624_greenday.html

The article is about American Idiot, not C&V. When that article was posted, American Idiot was already being written and recorded, they started American Idiot in April 2003 and that article is June 2003. So unfortunately, this has nothing to do with C&V. Something about C&V would be late 2002-early 2003

It is kind of a generic name though (there's a Christina Aguilera song called Walk Away and probably loads of others as well). Could easily be a different song, especially knowing how much Billie likes to mention walking in his lyrics!

Not really it's not that unusual for bands to reuse names

It is kind of a generic name though (there's a Christina Aguilera song called Walk Away and probably loads of others as well). Could easily be a different song, especially knowing how much Billie likes to mention walking in his lyrics!

Walking Alone, Walk Away, Walking Contradiction.

I walk alone in Boulevard Of Broken Dreams.

Ok...

• 4 months later...

3 questions

tracklisting? how many songs have we got? likelihood of full release?

Depends who you listen to. There are some who believe it's Money Money 2020. We've definitely got the title track but that's all I'm aware of. And we're never getting a full release, surely.

Archived