Cigarettes and Valentines

MrsBillieJoe95

I'm not sure, to me Shoplifter sounds like it was wrote around the time of warning. If C&V had of got it's release I reckon shoplifter was intended for it?

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

someone stole the hard drive that the tracks was on. so that sucks. I'm gonna go ahead and merge this to the C&V topic now.

C&V so wasn't stolen. Even the article that wikipedia quotes on that toys with the idea that it wasn't stolen: " Some argue that they were not stolen, but actually scrapped in lieu of a more political bent, to capitalize on the upcoming 2004 elections. After 12 millions albums sold, no one really wants to hear the originals anyway."

Either way, I doubt Shoplifter is about C&V being stolen, it sounds too... "cheerful" for a song about someone stealing their album, I'd guess Billie Joe would be pissed as fuck and write something more along the lines of Platypus. :lol:

C&V so wasn't stolen. Even the article that wikipedia quotes on that toys with the idea that it wasn't stolen: " Some argue that they were not stolen, but actually scrapped in lieu of a more political bent, to capitalize on the upcoming 2004 elections. After 12 millions albums sold, no one really wants to hear the originals anyway."

Either way, I doubt Shoplifter is about C&V being stolen, it sounds too... "cheerful" for a song about someone stealing their album, I'd guess Billie Joe would be pissed as fuck and write something more along the lines of Platypus. :lol:

Supposedly....

Seeing it was supposedly recorded at Oceanway theres no way it was stolen as they check everyone before they buzz you in or out

I still believe some pissy sound engineer took the drive home in his underwear one fateful night.

In many years from now, when most band members have died and there's no longer Green Day, there will still be some hardcore fans in a Green Day forum debating whether Cigarettes and Valentines was stolen or not.

And I will probably be a part of it :mellow:

I can see that happening so clearly in my mind.

I still believe some pissy sound engineer took the drive home in his underwear one fateful night.

Oceanway has cameras set up in every room no engineers have access to the security room they'd know who took it everyone from artists to employees gets searched before leaving...

Im not saying its impossible but it is hard as fuck to do

Oceanway has cameras set up in every room no engineers have access to the security room they'd know who took it everyone from artists to employees gets searched before leaving...

Im not saying its impossible but it is hard as fuck to do

you're taking the mystery away by being logical you douche

The Heart Like A Handgrenade crew said in an interview that they witnessed the creation of multiple albums during the time that they filmed Green Day in the studio. They said they saw the creation of a Christmas album, a new wave album, a punk record, and finally what would became American Idiot.

Well fuck now I want to see HLAHG, and a Christmas album would be amazing

Well fuck now I want to see HLAHG, and a Christmas album would be amazing

What if it was called "(Red and) Green Day"?

• 10 months later...

I just found this. Apparently they had 42 songs and Billie was stoked on 8. I've always heard it was about 20 songs, but 42? Damn.

Where did you read that? :o

If the master tapes were stolen they would probably leak the songs or something. makes sense why no one believes the story.

The more I think about it the more I think that once they wrote american idiot the song, they knew they had to release one or the other. Cigarettes and Valentines the song and it's lyrics makes me think that were thinking this maybe their last album. "Let us paralyze this moment till it dies", and "There's a car crashing deep inside my heart", seem rather unambitious. They were also recording a lot of leftovers from the very early days and kind of unloading the catalogue and just writing some songs around those from what I gather. What I'm saying is warning to C&V to american idiot doesn't seem like an honest transition as far we know. They thought they didn't have many songs left and were somewhat uninspired so they prolly just said why not go out with most of our integrity. Things changed tho when they wrote favorite son for rock against bush. They felt inspired and part of something again. That's my guess at least.

I kinda reckon the label stopped them releasing it. I'm sure I read an article recently explaining that.

The more I think about it the more I think that once they wrote american idiot the song, they knew they had to release one or the other. Cigarettes and Valentines the song and it's lyrics makes me think that were thinking this maybe their last album. "Let us paralyze this moment till it dies", and "There's a car crashing deep inside my heart", seem rather unambitious. They were also recording a lot of leftovers from the very early days and kind of unloading the catalogue and just writing some songs around those from what I gather. What I'm saying is warning to C&V to american idiot doesn't seem like an honest transition as far we know. They thought they didn't have many songs left and were somewhat uninspired so they prolly just said why not go out with most of our integrity. Things changed tho when they wrote favorite son for rock against bush. They felt inspired and part of something again. That's my guess at least.

They weren't recording leftovers from the early days. They were recording all new songs, i have never seen any interview that they said they were recording leftovers.

Plot twist: the trilogy is Cigarettes and Valentines

That would be the best plot twist ever...

They weren't recording leftovers from the early days. They were recording all new songs, i have never seen any interview that they said they were recording leftovers.

I don't know for sure whether they were but supposedly they were at least recording world vs world/what about today or whatever that song's title is now. That's what fans were initially calling it anyway. Just a rumor really. I probably could have worded it better sorry. I doubt any of them if they were trying to record them were ever on the final tracklist. I guess i was just hopeful that they had recorded more of their oldest songs. At least to know what the lyrics are anyway :)

They recorded the album didn't like it so they claim it was stolen from a secured studio and re started and did American Idiot

They recorded the album didn't like it so they claim it was stolen from a secured studio and re started and did American Idiot

Yeah I mean i think the stolen thing was just a joke. They talked a lot about Homecoming and American Idiot as being reasons they decided to go in another direction.

Plot twist: the trilogy is Cigarettes and Valentines

that explains why it was originally rejected :P

I don't know for sure whether they were but supposedly they were at least recording world vs world/what about today or whatever that song's title is now. That's what fans were initially calling it anyway. Just a rumor really. I probably could have worded it better sorry. I doubt any of them if they were trying to record them were ever on the final tracklist. I guess i was just hopeful that they had recorded more of their oldest songs. At least to know what the lyrics are anyway :)

Those are two different songs, What About Today was probably a Cigarettes & Valentines song, and it was posted on Green Day.com in 2001, so it wasn't an old song. World vs World is a song from 1989 that there are only 3 live recordings of

What About Today: https://soundcloud.com/todd409/green-day-what-about-today

World Vs. World: www.youtube.com/watch?v=isIxyfUYvAM

Archived