Cigarettes and Valentines

MrsBillieJoe95

Cigarettes and Valentines is actually a compilation album of all the songs about the wifey:

When I Come around

Sweet 16 

Last of the American Girls

Church on Sunday

Last Night on Earth

When It's Time

and then F(woo) Time.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

Cigarettes and Valentines is actually a compilation album of all the songs about the wifey:

When I Come around

Sweet 16 

Church on Sunday

Last Night on Earth

When It's Time

and then F(woo) Time.

And Youngblood :)

5 minutes ago, Dakke said:

And Youngblood :)

and the cover is them posing like the Breakdown album cover.   Nude.   

17 minutes ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

When I Come around

Sweet 16 

Church on Sunday

Last Night on Earth

When It's Time

and then F(woo) Time.

When I Come Around isn't about wifey according to Billie. Oh and Fuck Time is about Amanda Jones :lol:

"Oh, Amanda Jones, your holy grace,
I want to choke you 'til you're blue in the face,
Got dirty thoughts in a dirty mind,
Ahhhh,
Oh baby, baby, it's fuck time"

18 minutes ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

and the cover is them posing like the Breakdown album cover.   Nude.   

And then Billie was like shit... You know what, I think I'd prefer to scrap these songs and this nude cover and record a concept record /rock opera about my ex girlfriend Amanda (but call her Whatsername) and it will be fucking epic and I'll make a book about it and it will become a Broadway musical and for decades to come fans will adore the album and this female punk hero Amanda aka Whatsername. Yeah! Fuck the boring love album to the wife I'll tell everyone that got stolen and nobody will even care because of the epic masterpiece about my ex! :lol: :P

On 12/15/2016 at 8:00 PM, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

When I Come Around isn't about wifey according to Billie. Oh and Fuck Time is about Amanda Jones :lol:

"Oh, Amanda Jones, your holy grace,
I want to choke you 'til you're blue in the face,
Got dirty thoughts in a dirty mind,
Ahhhh,
Oh baby, baby, it's fuck time"

And then Billie was like shit... You know what, I think I'd prefer to scrap these songs and this nude cover and record a concept record /rock opera about my ex girlfriend Amanda (but call her Whatsername) and it will be fucking epic and I'll make a book about it and it will become a Broadway musical and for decades to come fans will adore the album and this female punk hero Amanda aka Whatsername. Yeah! Fuck the boring love album to the wife I'll tell everyone that got stolen and nobody will even care because of the epic masterpiece about my ex! :lol: :P

I know F(woo) Time wasn't about her, just thought it was the perfect song to end on.   Lol.   

Alright,

Then there's two parts to the album (Billie likes parts and sections after all)

Cigarettes is all the songs about Amanda

Valentines is all the songs about Adrienne.

On 12/15/2016 at 0:57 PM, Insomniac186 said:

I honestly believe they are from 2002-2003 since Green Day was in the studio recording tons of stuff at that time, and we got the Network album out of it. The same people that are credited with the AI b-sides are also credited with the Network album. Many of the AI b-sides could easily fit on the Network album. Even Lights Out fits in with the Network album.

By the way, anyone notice Hearts Collide mentions valentines?  A bit of a coincidence. One of the reasons I believe the two non-cover 21CBD b-sides are from the same sessions as the AI ones.

I still believe that whole batch of songs are demos of potential C&V songs and given a good mix so they could be released as b-sides since at the time the supposed C&V masters were missing. If Too Much Too Soon was supposed to be on C&V why no credit for Rob Cavallo? It's all the in-house guys from Jingletown that are in the credits. That's why I believe they are C&V demos, or at least songs that were in consideration for the album.

That makes a lot of sense to me, especially if you listen to Hearts Collide and  Cigarettes and Valentines they have a very similar sound and feel to them. I think it's a very probable theory. 

16 hours ago, Hell Cat Troll said:

That makes a lot of sense to me, especially if you listen to Hearts Collide and  Cigarettes and Valentines they have a very similar sound and feel to them. I think it's a very probable theory. 

Billie Joe's guitar playing style is also similar on all the aforementioned material. I'm a drummer so I don't know a lot of guitar terminology, but on a lot of those recordings Billie Joe plays a lot on single strings on parts of songs instead of strumming multiple strings. Him playing in that style is very specific to this era. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Any guitar players get what I'm saying?

8 hours ago, Insomniac186 said:

Billie Joe's guitar playing style is also similar on all the aforementioned material. I'm a drummer so I don't know a lot of guitar terminology, but on a lot of those recordings Billie Joe plays a lot on single strings on parts of songs instead of strumming multiple strings. Him playing in that style is very specific to this era. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Any guitar players get what I'm saying?

I've noticed that too, and I'm not the biggest fan of that style. Might as well just be a bass line

Hahaha. So fake, even though it's said that  Money Money 2020 was originally C&V this is so fake that I'm laughing.

• 1 month later...

I've made my own mini ep thing to bridge the gap between Warning and American Idiot

Poprocks and Coke (With intro from Maria added and removed from Maria)

Maria

Shoplifter

Favorite Son

Too Much Too Soon

Governator

Lights Out

Hearts Collide

Thoughts?

Weren't the 21CB b-sides recorded at Butch Vigs house? At least Lights Out was, as it was recorded when they were demoing there. Also remember when the demo version of 21st leaked? Light out leaked too, so they're obviously from the same leak source... same session. 

"A Quick One While He's Away"
Produced by Green Day
Engineered by Chris Dugan
Mixed by Chris Lord-Alge

"Hearts Collide"
"Another State of Mind"
"That's Alright"
"Like a Rolling Stone"
Produced by Green Day
Mixed by Chris Dugan

"Lights Out"
Produced by Green Day

"Too Much Too Soon"
Produced by Green Day
Engineered by Reto Peter
Mixed by Tim James

"Shoplifter"
Produced by Green Day
Engineered by Chris Dugan and Reto Peter
Mixed by Tim James

"Governator"
Produced by Green Day
Engineered by Chris Dugan assisted by Reto Peter
Mixed by Chris Dugan

"Favorite Son"
Produced by Rob Cavallo and Green Day
Engineered by Doug McKean
Mixed by Doug McKean

This shows the credited differences between all of the American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown b-sides. I know A Quick One was recorded during the 21st Century Breakdown sessions, but I'm unsure about the other 3 covers. Hearts Collide has the same credits as those 3, so I think it's likely that it was recorded during the same sessions. As for Favorite Son, it was announced in 2003 that Green Day would be releasing a song on Rock Against Bush, and Rock Against Bush came out in August 2004, a few days after the single "American Idiot" made its debut. Too Much Too Soon is the only confirmed C&V track on this list, and considering Shoplifter and Governator also share Reto Peter as an engineer, it's likely that they were C&V tracks too, but not certain as they have variation in their credits too by having Chris Dugan in there. 

Someone said a few pages back that in the american idiot sessions they only recorded the 13 tracks. But in heart like a handgrenade it shows an official session paper that says they recorded 16 tracks.

5 hours ago, Δημήτρης Γκότσης said:

Someone said a few pages back that in the american idiot sessions they only recorded the 13 tracks. But in heart like a handgrenade it shows an official session paper that says they recorded 16 tracks.

Could that include C&V era Too Much Too Soon, Governator and Shoplifter?

29 minutes ago, Dakke said:

Could that include C&V era Too Much Too Soon, Governator and Shoplifter?

thats what I thought but with all the different engineers and produces , it doesn't make sense.

Just now, Δημήτρης Γκότσης said:

thats what I thought but with all the different engineers and produces , it doesn't make sense.

Yeah, you're right. Dugan wasn't involved with all those songs. My educated (but totally speculative) guess is that there were more songs which were not songlets which were part of Jesus of Suburbia or Homecoming.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When "Like a Rat Does Cheese" was perfomed? 'Cause I Think It Was From C&V.

On 23/01/2017 at 9:45 PM, Misery11 said:

I've made my own mini ep thing to bridge the gap between Warning and American Idiot

Poprocks and Coke (With intro from Maria added and removed from Maria)

Maria

Shoplifter

Favorite Son

Too Much Too Soon

Governator

Lights Out

Hearts Collide

Thoughts?

But "Maria" With Intro From "She's a Saint Not A Celebrity" at the Start

• 2 months later...

C&V might just be demos but here is candidates

Cigarettes & Valentinens

Dropout 

Too Much Too Soon

90% 

Minnesota Girl

Things I Heard Today

Wasteaway

Sleepyhead

What About Today

50%

Clusterbomb 

Shoplifter

Governator 

0%

Olivia 

Youngblood

My theory was they was demoing ideas,He thinks about a concept album,then cuts several songs and,scraps C&V

Well the description of C&V actually fits of the songs we have here

Archived