Cigarettes and Valentines

MrsBillieJoe95

Sleepyhead, Waste Away and Dropout were from the Warning sessions, were they not?

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the trilogy songs I just went by lyric and music similarities that sounded somewhere between 2002 - 2004. Like if the words "cigarette" or "valentine" were used that would by a lyrical similarity. But this is more of what I would've put on it based on the similarities. It's not really meant to be an official representation of what was most likely to be on there. I am probably wrong on most of it though haha

Also for those wondering about Ashley, it just seemed to be influenced by songs like Roshambo and Governator a little bit to me so I just added it in. Most likely wasn't written then.

I feel like an idiot for asking this but what does IMO stand for? What song does that stand for?

"In my opinion"

Sleepyhead, Waste Away and Dropout were from the Warning sessions, were they not?

Dropout was from C&V sessions

Why so many trilogy songs? There's no indictaion any besides Walk Away that any were written pre-2010.

I remember reading sometime last year or in 2013 that Drama Queen was written around the C&V time. I just read that it was apparently supposed to be on 21CB so I'm guessing that 21CB is more likely now. It kind of just seemed to fit in my C&V list because it's just another song about love/a girl as several suspected C&V songs are. Stray heart kind of felt like it had a musical vibe similar to Warning but kind of transitioning into a more modern type of sound closer to AI so that's why that was added. Angel Blue mentions "cigarette" and "valentine" in there so that's really the only reason I added it. State of shock has some lyrical similarities to Angel Blue. As for Fell For You, it just is consistent with the recurring lyrical theme of love. A good number of suspected C&V songs like Hearts Collide etc. Mention a girl or valentines so I factored that in.

Dropout was from C&V sessions

Okay, but I distinctly remember the other two being on a whiteboard shown briefly in the alternate video for Warning.

EDIT: I may have even posted a still from the video somewhere in this forum.

• 4 weeks later...

This theory has probably no hard evidence to support it and it is highly unlikely so this post is mostly a joke I suppose, but what if Green Day kept the song ideas for Cigarettes and Valentines, and Joey decided to recreate some of the album for Emily's Army. He then decides to work with the band to slightly change the songs to give it that signature sound and mixing that is associated with Emily's Army and added enough original songs to cover it up. They put some of the songs on Don't Be a Dick and some on Lost at 17. The other tracks not released by Emily's Army from the album include

Cigarettes and Valentines, Too Much Too Soon, Walk Away, Dropout, and several tracks from Money Money 2020. In total, that adds up to about 20 tracks or so estimated. Again this is not a totally serious theory I just happened to think of it today and figured I'd share it because it would sure be interesting if it was actually true.

sounds like desperate, and strangely non sexual, fan fiction

yeah one would hope for a threesome :(

You don't give EA much credit, do you? :D

yeah one would hope for a threesome :(

You don't give EA much credit, do you? :D

electronic arts?

SWIMMERS

I liked the first album, but it's not Green Day quality by any stretch of the imagination

I liked the first album, but it's not Green Day quality by any stretch of the imagination

I liked Lost at 17. It's fun, but nothing special. I enjoyed the music, but they're nothing more than a young band that makes pretty good music.

My friend and I talked about that being a thing once because we raised the pitch on Green Day songs and it sounded exactly like Cole singing

who gets the short one?

Me, me, please pick me!

Since we already have a thread for discussing C&V and theories relating to it I've merged your thread with it and the discussion can continue here :)

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm researching on the cancelled album Cigarettes & Valentines, and it has been plagued with rumors badly. I don't even know what is and what isn't fact about the album any longer. Would others be willing to clarify information on the album for me? Here are a few questions that are confusing me:

1. How do we know that the album existed in 2005 (when its Wikipedia article was created)?

2. I hear that Mike Dirnt gave the most information about this album. Where did he give the information on it?

3. How do we know that Olivia and Too Much, Too Soon were part of Cigarettes & Valentines; where has this been confirmed?

4. Some people say more songs than Walk Away were recorded for the 2012 trilogy (personally I think Angel Blue would fit well with C&V but there's no confirmation). How do we know if this is true?

And perhaps the biggest question is:

5. How did the story of the stolen C&V tracks start, or that the band were unsatisfied with the album? I can't find a source for this as well.

and on a related note, some sources say that Billie called the theft a "blessing in disguise" or Rob Cavallio claiming that the tracks were mediocre. Where's the source?

Also, I find it nonsense when people say that the album became Money Money 2020--I believe The Network was a joke between Green Day & some friends and not a reworked Cigarettes & Valentines.

It would be awesome if you guys could help provide information on C&V with sources. :)

7 minutes ago, Castaway2000 said:

Hi, I'm researching on the cancelled album Cigarettes & Valentines, and it has been plagued with rumors badly. I don't even know what is and what isn't fact about the album any longer. Would others be willing to clarify information on the album for me? Here are a few questions that are confusing me:

1. How do we know that the album existed in 2005 (when its Wikipedia article was created)?

2. I hear that Mike Dirnt gave the most information about this album. Where did he give the information on it?

3. How do we know that Olivia and Too Much, Too Soon were part of Cigarettes & Valentines; where has this been confirmed?

4. Some people say more songs than Walk Away were recorded for the 2012 trilogy (personally I think Angel Blue would fit well with C&V but there's no confirmation). How do we know if this is true?

And perhaps the biggest question is:

5. How did the story of the stolen C&V tracks start, or that the band were unsatisfied with the album? I can't find a source for this as well.

and on a related note, some sources say that Billie called the theft a "blessing in disguise" or Rob Cavallio claiming that the tracks were mediocre. Where's the source?

Also, I find it nonsense when people say that the album became Money Money 2020--I believe The Network was a joke between Green Day & some friends and not a reworked Cigarettes & Valentines.

It would be awesome if you guys could help provide information on C&V with sources. :)

Walk Away is not from C&V the interviewer posted this year that he meant to say the song Waste Away and there's a thread for this 

2 hours ago, Castaway2000 said:

Hey, as @WhiteTim said, there's already a thread for cigarettes and valentines, so I've merged yours into it.  You can keep discussing it in here :)  Hopefully some of your questions have already been answered too, and maybe even some you didn't think of.

Archived