Cigarettes and Valentines

MrsBillieJoe95

I didn't know Olivia was a 21CB b-side, wasn't the first time they played it in Denver?

I think I'm also the only one who still thinks the song Cigarettes and Valentines might not even be the original. :lol: Not that either of those things really matter but yeah.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't know Olivia was a 21CB b-side, wasn't the first time they played it in Denver?

Oh yeah sorry, I just mean it was first heard of/played during 21st CB times. Like the rest it could've been written for C&V but we don't have any evidence that it was so there's not much reason to consider it.

• 2 months later...

i say they re-mix the tapes and release it before they end their career as a goodbye album. just sayin.

i say they re-mix the tapes and release it before they end their career as a goodbye album. just sayin.

Or we get it released by reprise when Green Day's dead. just saying. so another thirty years or so.

Or we get it released by reprise when Green Day's dead. just saying. so another thirty years or so.

They're dying at seventy?

These tapes were never stolen. This album was just mediocore. I really hope it does surface sometime though. I remember an interview where they said the backups tapes weren't the same. BS, of course they were exactly the same.

I guess I kinda figured that even if there were other recordings available to use, losing the masters would just be the sort of thing that would make you think "Wait... do we actually wanna go through with this?" Just the sort of thing to make you stop and think for a second. Like tripping on the pavement it will catch you up...

Has anyone else noticed Governator is pretty close to Spike? The drum beat and the "I'll be back" is close to "I need a fix"

Also could Favorite Son possibly be originally on C&V?

Has anyone else noticed Governator is pretty close to Spike? The drum beat and the "I'll be back" is close to "I need a fix"

Also could Favorite Son possibly be originally on C&V?

1) I suppose, I mean I can see the comparison... Completely different songs, though.

2) I don't think so.

To be fairly honest, as much as I'd like to hear some old unreleased Green Day material, if Green Day really did refuse to re record it all because it wasn't good enough, I wouldn't go into it having high expectations. When a band says that their own material isn't up to their full potential, then it kills any excitement I would have if I ever had the chance to listen to C&V.

All in all, if it's forever gone, I won't mind. If it is released one day, awesome.

Do you think c&v the song will ever be played again lol do you think that song was from the album or do you think they wrote it on tour and thought it be fun to use the title

Interesting that Green Day performed Cigarettes & Valentines at some shows in 2010 (and then released it on Awesome As Fuck), AND that they're evidently releasing Walk Away (which was a song rumored to be on C&V - not sure if it's the same one though) in this new trilogy.

Makes me think that them actually releasing the songs some day isn't so unlikely. Even if they do another rarities collection like Shenanigans, it would be awesome to hear the songs - not just the ones for Cigarettes And Valentines, but also other leftover tracks like the ones that didn't fit the concept of A! or 21CB, the other 30 songs they had for the trilogy, random other songs that didn't end up anywhere.

Even if they're not as good as most of their album songs and aren't "maximum Green Day," I'm sure they're still at least somewhat good. And I'm always happy to hear more music from them :)

Interesting that Green Day performed Cigarettes & Valentines at some shows in 2010 (and then released it on Awesome As Fuck), AND that they're evidently releasing Walk Away (which was a song rumored to be on C&V - not sure if it's the same one though) in this new trilogy.

Walk away? That title is new to me. Which of the three albums is it meant to be on?

Walk away? That title is new to me. Which of the three albums is it meant to be on?

Tré, I think.

And we've heard the title before, but I'm not sure when/where it originated - some time before I discovered GD in 2004. It was thought to be for C&V if I'm not mistaken.

Question: Why does no one believe the guys when they said it was stolen?

Because they also said that they weren't the Network! :lol:

the way i think of it is, if C&V was released - there's a good possibility we would've never gotten AI. we've lasted this long not ever hearing C&V, i'm sure we can last many more years to come of never hearing it, haha.

Tré, I think.

And we've heard the title before, but I'm not sure when/where it originated - some time before I discovered GD in 2004. It was thought to be for C&V if I'm not mistaken.

Tre

Oh okay. Thanks to you both :)

the way i think of it is, if C&V was released - there's a good possibility we would've never gotten AI. we've lasted this long not ever hearing C&V, i'm sure we can last many more years to come of never hearing it, haha.

That is a terrifying thought.

I could very well not be a fan right now if that was the case - who knows? In fact, who knows what Green Day would be doing right now - would they still be making music? What kind or quality of music? Would they be regarded as the legends they have proven themselves to be? Scary. I've thought exactly that too though, and because of that I'm really glad that they didn't release C&V, and instead came up with the masterpiece that as American Idiot.

Although... I would like to hear those songs some day. Just out of curiosity. I still think they should release another rarities compilation a la Shenanigans, and include all the songs that didn't make it onto their last 3 (or 5) albums. Maybe late next year or in 2014. Between this trilogy and their next album(s) - whatever they decide to do after this. I don't know how they can continually keep topping themselves!

Makes me think that them actually releasing the songs some day isn't so unlikely. Even if they do another rarities collection like Shenanigans, it would be awesome to hear the songs - not just the ones for Cigarettes And Valentines, but also other leftover tracks like the ones that didn't fit the concept of A! or 21CB, the other 30 songs they had for the trilogy, random other songs that didn't end up anywhere.

Even if they're not as good as most of their album songs and aren't "maximum Green Day," I'm sure they're still at least somewhat good. And I'm always happy to hear more music from them :)

I would imagine that perhaps they felt one or two of the songs were actually workable. And who knows - they might have changed some elements of it to make it work.

That is a terrifying thought.

I could very well not be a fan right now if that was the case - who knows? In fact, who knows what Green Day would be doing right now - would they still be making music? What kind or quality of music? Would they be regarded as the legends they have proven themselves to be? Scary. I've thought exactly that too though, and because of that I'm really glad that they didn't release C&V, and instead came up with the masterpiece that as American Idiot.

Although... I would like to hear those songs some day. Just out of curiosity. I still think they should release another rarities compilation a la Shenanigans, and include all the songs that didn't make it onto their last 3 (or 5) albums. Maybe late next year or in 2014. Between this trilogy and their next album(s) - whatever they decide to do after this. I don't know how they can continually keep topping themselves!

I think A LOT of us wouldn't even be fans right now, which was the point I was trying to make. American Idiot opened the eyes of us teens who were rebelling against our parents, schooling - and whatever else. We related to that album more than anything. So, in saying that, I'm glad they didn't release C&V. But yeah, it would definitely be so amazing so hear some of those songs out of curiosity! :)

What would be cool is if they were downloadable like the Foxboro Hot Tubs' original EP... But they wouldn't be able to do that I'm sure.

I hope people just keep asking GD about it in interviews until they get fed up and tell the truth/release it

I think their response to getting fed up with questions tends to be that they are even more evasive/goofy about their answers...

Archived