Posted Image Trick or treat! We have a new Halloween theme. We also have two Halloween contests going on right now - enter with your pumpkin carvings here and your costumes here!

Photo

UK student facing extradition to US for violating US copyright law

News

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 norcalgreendayfan

norcalgreendayfan

SAN JOSE BITCHES

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,657 posts
  • Joined Apr 29, 2009

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:05 AM

I came across this story on Yahoo where a student from the UK is facing extradition to the United States for breaking copyright laws of the United States by hosting a website that provided links to other sites where others could be able to view illegally downloaded tv shows and movies.
http://news.yahoo.co...-145154829.html

I personally can not think of a case where an extradition treaty was used to pursue foreign nationals who allegedly broke another country's laws in their home country and i personally think this could set an interesting precedent to how far one country can go to pursue lawbreakers even if a crime is commited by a foreign national within his home borders

I do welcome what your thoughts and opinions would be on this matter, and am curious to find out what others do think of this as well.

#2 BJA TC MD

BJA TC MD

Dominated Love Slave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts
  • Joined Aug 07, 2011

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:11 AM

So, a guy from the UK broke US laws. I don't really get how that makes sense. He was in another country to the laws he broke, so why should they affect him? I guess what he was doing was wrong, but I don't see how international laws could affect him.

#3 norcalgreendayfan

norcalgreendayfan

SAN JOSE BITCHES

• Members
  • 14,657 posts
  • Joined Apr 29, 2009

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:15 AM

So, a guy from the UK broke US laws. I don't really get how that makes sense. He was in another country to the laws he broke, so why should they affect him? I guess what he was doing was wrong, but I don't see how international laws could affect him.

Thats basically what happened so the US authorites is going after him in the UK for breaking copyright laws where in UK authorities generally don't come down as hard on copyright offences as far as i understand but if anything he should be tried in a UK if anything he had done was illegal under UK copyright laws.

#4 BJA TC MD

BJA TC MD

Dominated Love Slave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts
  • Joined Aug 07, 2011

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:29 AM

Thats basically what happened so the US authorites is going after him in the UK for breaking copyright laws where in UK authorities generally don't come down as hard on copyright offences as far as i understand but if anything he should be tried in a UK if anything he had done was illegal under UK copyright laws.

I agree with what you said. UK person should be tried for UK laws, not US

#5 norcalgreendayfan

norcalgreendayfan

SAN JOSE BITCHES

• Members
  • 14,657 posts
  • Joined Apr 29, 2009

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:32 AM

I agree with what you said. UK person should be tried for UK laws, not US

Yeah it will be interesting to see what other peoples take on this and the fact how far a country can reach to prosecute people who break their laws in other countries.

#6 Zero.

Zero.

Antarctic Penguin Ruler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts
  • Joined Jun 23, 2010

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:53 AM

Yikes! Extradition? I understand that he broke the law, but it's not like he killed anyone.

#7 Floyd Pinkerton

Floyd Pinkerton

Head of Tom's legal council

• Members
  • 19,128 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:29 AM

Jesus Christ, let the UK fucking deal with it. The US needs to get its nose out of everyone else's business, unless of course everyone's benefitting from it.

#8 captain peroxide

captain peroxide

Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken.

• Members
  • 15,814 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:57 AM

This can't fucking happen. It's absolutely absurd. Am I going to get extradited to Iran to be executed for flirting with a woman, or to Saudi Arabia to have my hand cut off for stealing?

You get sentenced under the laws of the country in which you committed the crime, that's how it works. This would be an extremely dangerous precedent to set.

#9 San Miguel

San Miguel

Pedestrian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2011

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:00 AM

madness but i think it'll prove to be pivotul in long running legal arguments about the international arena that is the internet. all countries need to update their laws to cope with new technology and you'd the US and UK would be amongst the first. it's not like the internet is still that new.

here's hoping the student just gets a "slapped wrist" and nothing more

#10 Trotsky

Trotsky

I sought my image in the scorching glass

• Members
  • 29,533 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:25 PM

madness but i think it'll prove to be pivotul in long running legal arguments about the international arena that is the internet. all countries need to update their laws to cope with new technology and you'd the US and UK would be amongst the first. it's not like the internet is still that new.

here's hoping the student just gets a "slapped wrist" and nothing more

Well unfortunately the process of "updating laws" is what is contributing to this madness. SOPA and PIPA must be stopped. Any change that has come from US Congress in terms of internet laws has been for the worse lately.

This would be a convenient time for me to remind everyone of the good fight Demand Progress is fighting, and that any Americans who will sign the petitions, or more effectively, call Congress, can help stop this bullshit.

#11 Matt.

Matt.

Pump Ass

• GDA Staff
  • 5,753 posts
  • Joined Oct 17, 2006

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:38 PM

The fact that this guy's site was accessed and used by people in the US is what makes it possible for him to be extradited, though he wasn't physically in the US.

I forgot the word for this but it's perfectly "legal" to do. I just took a law class but I forget the term of it....

I'm not agreeing with this in anyway, I want to make that clear. But you all have to realize that this is allowed to be done and not just bash it saying "this can't be done! Why is in the US in this??? Etc"

#12 norcalgreendayfan

norcalgreendayfan

SAN JOSE BITCHES

• Members
  • 14,657 posts
  • Joined Apr 29, 2009

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:04 PM

The fact that this guy's site was accessed and used by people in the US is what makes it possible for him to be extradited, though he wasn't physically in the US.

I forgot the word for this but it's perfectly "legal" to do. I just took a law class but I forget the term of it....

I'm not agreeing with this in anyway, I want to make that clear. But you all have to realize that this is allowed to be done and not just bash it saying "this can't be done! Why is in the US in this??? Etc"

Well it maybe legal for them to do but I find it rather absurd and a colossal waste of taxpayers time and money in both countries. What good can possibly come out of it since people will still find other ways to view illegally downloaded movies and tv shows.
Hell I personally wouldnt want the kid exposed to an American prison, he may become one of those cases where someone is sent there for a non violent offence and come out more violent or even commits a violent act in prison.

#13 fukingcounterstrike

fukingcounterstrike

legally retarded

• Members
  • 10,383 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2007

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:22 PM

DAMMIT OBAMA :mad:
  • Yussef and Trotsky like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: News

0 user(s) are reading this topic