GDA 'Zine - for real!

greendaytone

Name that Zine   

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

hah!

And to answer some questions, we definitely will be having a lot of involvement from you guys on future issues. The majority of writing in this one was done by Tony, which is the 2011 recap. We have some original editorials in there done by Angeline (justcause) and Cheryl (*withoutadoubt*) and I believe there's also one in there by Marie (Marie_GD if I'm not mistaken). We want this to be a community thing, and we want people to submit artwork and articles or whatever they want to make this our thing. After this issue gets done and we start talking about the future of this project, we'll have a better idea of how we can best involve more people here.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So excited for this!

As for the title, I like Y'know? I also think Letterbomb would be a good title. Love the artwork, by the way.

I love to watch this forum and community grow, and this zine has definitely shown how far we have come.

Carpet Diet? what the hell is that?

Not a fan of the artwork, to be honest.

I do like the idea of a 'zine though.

Is it even legal to publish a zine with a title of a Green Day song? Would song titles be public domain? I'm not sure...

I have looked into that, and it's not illegal to use a song title. I mean, if Green Day wanted to sue us they could, but for example, Letterbomb isn't a Green Day word, the word exists on it's own so we don't really have any legal problems using it. But as has been said, we should have something more creative. I like letterbomb, but I don't feel like "Yes! That's the perfect name!"

This issue will just be called "The Green Day Authority Zine" and I believe the subtitle will be "Y'know?". We can keep brainstorming for names, because we definitely want something much better if we do another one.

I have looked into that, and it's not illegal to use a song title. I mean, if Green Day wanted to sue us they could, but for example, Letterbomb isn't a Green Day word, the word exists on it's own so we don't really have any legal problems using it. But as has been said, we should have something more creative. I like letterbomb, but I don't feel like "Yes! That's the perfect name!"

This issue will just be called "The Green Day Authority Zine" and I believe the subtitle will be "Y'know?". We can keep brainstorming for names, because we definitely want something much better if we do another one.

Yeah, considering Green Day borrowed that term from The Clash anyway they don't really have a leg to stand on!

Sounds good enough. As usual I'm full of criticisms, and I do hope we come up with better title/layout than what we have at present, but short on actual ideas to follow it up.

love the idea of this,

little bit of info on using photos of Green Day ( or other bands in general) for commercial use:

You need to find out if the image is "Royalty Free" or "Rights Managed". Both types you will have to pay a fee to use the image (RF you buy the licence and can use the photo as much as you like, RM usually is assessed on what the photo is going to be used for and if its going to be published internationally etc)

The best way to find this all out is to go on a photo image site like Getty or contacting the photographer themselves; you should do this even if the photo you want to use was taken by an ameteur photographer you still need permission!

Im a Graphic Designer so know alot about these kind of issues! Can be frustrating at times but best to stay legal :)

I'm pretty sure Tony has been in touch with anyone who's photos we've used in the zine.

The only issue I'm still a little unclear on is the drawn image of them on the cover. I'm pretty sure Luke Price did that just for this. It's based on an image obviously, but I don't know how the rights work out for that.

Also, moreso than just the rights to an image, the band always has control over how their likeness is used. That's the other issue we could possibly run into by using them so prominently on something we're selling.

Yeah, considering Green Day borrowed that term from The Clash anyway they don't really have a leg to stand on!

Sounds good enough. As usual I'm full of criticisms, and I do hope we come up with better title/layout than what we have at present, but short on actual ideas to follow it up.

I think honest criticism from you guys is the only way we can make subsequent issues even better and make them something representative of this community, and something you guys want to be a part of.

The only issue I'm still a little unclear on is the drawn image of them on the cover. I'm pretty sure Luke Price did that just for this. It's based on an image obviously, but I don't know how the rights work out for that.

Also, moreso than just the rights to an image, the band always has control over how their likeness is used. That's the other issue we could possibly run into by using them so prominently on something we're selling.

The image on the cover you will still need permission to use. Yes it is a drawing, but it is still a reproduction of someone's photograph and therefore we could face legal problems in the future. After the whole issue on Facebook and the artwork last week I looked into copyright laws, for us to be able to use it it would have to be substantiality different, or it was for personal use.

I'm pretty sure Tony has been in touch with anyone who's photos we've used in the zine.

You're right to be unsure about using it. It all depends on how close the work Luke did for you is to the original photograph - If it's almost a direct trace from the photo then I would say it could still be considered copyright infringement.

As GDA is well known by the band's management its not likely this fanzine will be something that will slip under the radar, especially as this is a commercial project as opposed to a private/personal one. Pretty much everything ( not including bootlegged stuff) that has the band's face/logo on needs to be approved by management if being sold to the general public.

If you have their contacts maybe you should run the fanzine idea past them and find out more about what they specifically dont want you to use; some artist's management are funny about people using lyrics etc without permission.

Although in my opinion I think this project would be the perfect chance for you guys to all get creative and make art/graphics yourself, like the posters you see advertising gigs at 942 gilman street or other underground punk gigs. That might in itself encapsulate more what the band is all about? :D

I think of magazines and such that use photos of Green Day on the cover. On many of those, I doubt they have to go through the band to get permission. At most, get permission from the photographer. But in many cases, they just use one of the publicity photos released by Reprise.

There are several awesome Green Day "cartoonists" on GDC, I think one of them should come up with a cover :)

There are several awesome Green Day "cartoonists" on GDC, I think one of them should come up with a cover :)

I know kelly42fox did some artwork for the inside. But yeah, I don't really know the whole story with the cover and everyone's contributions. I should have been more involved.

I think of magazines and such that use photos of Green Day on the cover. On many of those, I doubt they have to go through the band to get permission. At most, get permission from the photographer. But in many cases, they just use one of the publicity photos released by Reprise.

They will still have to pay for them though ;). In the case of magazines/ publishing (similar to merchandise companies) they will buy assets off whoever owns them, be it management or whoever, once they own the right to use the image they can do what they like with it, depending on the guidelines set out by the licensor.

This is a very good idea! Can't really help with the suggestions for the name though, it is a bit of a tough one.

They will still have to pay for them though ;). In the case of magazines/ publishing (similar to merchandise companies) they will buy assets off whoever owns them, be it management or whoever, once they own the right to use the image they can do what they like with it, depending on the guidelines set out by the licensor.

Thanks for the info.

Although in my opinion I think this project would be the perfect chance for you guys to all get creative and make art/graphics yourself, like the posters you see advertising gigs at 942 gilman street or other underground punk gigs. That might in itself encapsulate more what the band is all about? :D

I like this idea! :)

I was wondering about what Laura's Army touched on, is this zine going to be big enough in order to attract the attention of the management, or to cause any legal worries?

I was wondering about what Laura's Army touched on, is this zine going to be big enough in order to attract the attention of the management, or to cause any legal worries?

The only thing we could possibly get in trouble for is using Green Day's image. If they notice something and have a problem with it, they've never been shy about getting in touch with me and asking us to stop or change something.

I'll be probably the thousandth who write this, but I must say, this is a really great idea, and yes.... rather "Letterbomb" than "Carpe diet" .... :)

Hey, you should ask Green Day Comix if she wants to do comics or front page to the magazine! check out her comics! @greendaycomix

A lot of the people who've been suggesting lyrics (or variations therein) for titles don't seem to realize what a mouthful that is :P Not to mention, a longass title will take up half the cover...Being clever is great and all, but it's also best to be simple and succint.

Hm. I know a certain freelance journalist with two thumbs who would love to contribute to this.

Archived