GDA 'Zine - for real!

greendaytone

Name that Zine   

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes, we're launching our very first printed Green Day Authority 'zine (almost, but not quite a magazine).

In this first issue special, we review 2011 in Green Day/GDA land, with a recap of all the main stories of the year. There will be 80 pages of material, including a "GDA crossword" and "GDA Trivia" quizzes. Plus, much more from our talented people here.

More details to come. First off, here's a sneak peak at the cover of the 'zine - tell us what you think, and whether you like the title. Other title suggestions are welcome :)

Update January 26, 2012:

It's here!! The zine is now available to order in the merch section

012612_zineth.jpg

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The zine will be available for sale from GDA soon, and Tony plans on possibly giving some away to the folks going to the festival next weekend.

We really do want feedback on the title. We haven't been able to come to a consensus on what to call it. I liked "Letterbomb" but it seemed a bit too obvious, so I was leaning toward "The Green Day Authority Zine" for the first issue, then having people suggest a new title for any future issues. So give us your ideas.

i think the artwork is amazing (thanks to Luke Price for doing it), but I just realized that I'm not sure we'll be able to sell this using an image of the guys (even if animated). Not sure on the legality of it. If anyone here knows, please fill us in.

Also, Tony can you explain the "In association with Big Cheese", are they still planning on helping us out with it or what's the deal there?

Also, Tony can you explain the "In association with Big Cheese", are they still planning on helping us out with it or what's the deal there?

They will be advertising the zine in their magazine for us, and also submitting a piece for it.

Wow, that looks amazing - love the artwork!

I liked the name "Letterbomb," too - I am the Queen of obvious tho, lol. Maybe you can have a steady title with a different sub-title for each issue?

so do we have a price as to how much they're going to be, are you going to maybe be offering subscriptions or something?

Oh and I like Letterbomb too, it totally fits!!

i think the artwork is amazing (thanks to Luke Price for doing it), but I just realized that I'm not sure we'll be able to sell this using an image of the guys (even if animated). Not sure on the legality of it. If anyone here knows, please fill us in.

The artwork is amazing, but like, this is our thing - let's see something that represents the community on the front page.

We're thinking around $5 for the first one because it's going to be much bigger than future ones since its a full year recap and it'll cost more to produce.

Awesome! :woot:

The artwork is amazing, but like, this is our thing - let's see something that represents the community on the front page.

I agree with this.

I actually think that's a wonderful idea and sentiment. While the content is undoubtedly about Green Day, this should definitely represet our community more than band, at least on something so visual and important as the cover.

The first thing I thought of is an awesome collage of pictures of GDC meet-ups from around the world that happened in 2011. But, we are submitting this to the publisher VERY soon (like, tomorrow) so there's so little time to make changes. However, I do feel something like the cover and name are important enough to find a way to make it happen.

First off, I tend to get all fangirly at the mention of zines, so ZOMG!!!!1!!!!11!!!!!1! :runaround:

*ahem*

I liked the name "Letterbomb," too - I am the Queen of obvious tho, lol. Maybe you can have a steady title with a different sub-title for each issue?

I like this idea. Like the title could be "The Green Day Authority Zine", with a line of lyrics or something that has to do with the content as a sub-title (like what you do with the podcast).

I second this. Or third, cause apparently I can't count.

Edit: I forgot to say that the cover is awesome! And I can't answer the question for sure, but I have a few other zines that used copyrighted pictures on the covers. The creators made money off of them and as far as I know there weren't any kind of legal issues.

Sorry, but I don't think "Carpet Diet.... Y'Know" is a good title at all. It just doesn't make sense. "Y'Know?" fits well, "Carpet Diet" does not.

I second this. Or third, cause apparently I can't count.

Yeah, I've gotta agree too - while the artwork is amazing, I think something else more community oriented would be better for the cover.

Sorry, but I don't think "Carpet Diet.... Y'Know" is a good title at all. It just doesn't make sense. "Y'Know?" fits well, "Carpet Diet" does not.

Yeah, Carpet Diet is more of an inside joke. Some people would probably think it was a new side project...

But "Y'know?" is perfect. :)

Seconded. I think the first issue should just be "Y'know" and than maybe next issue have "Letterbomb" and just keep changing it every issue like its been suggested

Wait, what does "Y'know" have to do with looking back on 2011 for GDC and Green Day? lol

Wait, what does "Y'know" have to do with looking back on 2011 for GDC and Green Day? lol

Whenever Green Day does an interview Billie always says "Y'know". Its sorta a running joke between most Green Day fans

I think the front cover should just be Andres's face, but his hair and makeup done like Billie's.

Archived