SOTW - Christmas Covers

Boston

In the spirit of the holidays, we've decided to highlight a few of Green Day's takes on classic Christmas songs. Even though they've never released an official Christmas album nor an original Christmas song, they have on several occasions given their fans "gifts" of classic songs. Our first video, however, is from ages before Sweet Children was even a concept in this snarky 13-year-old's mind - here, Billie Joe sings a medley of Christmas songs for his church as a young teen:

In the gap between the end of the Warning tours and the release of American Idiot, the band left audio messages on their website to their fans. They also occasionally gave us songs, including "Rocking Around the Christmas Tree," "The First Noel," and "Santa Claus is Coming to Town."

You can download some mp3's of the songs on GDA.

Finally, this year Billie Joe, Adrienne and the kids formed a family band called The Boo. They pressed a few copies of the album for 1-2-3-4 Go! Records in Oakland, CA, and the tracks have since leaked. The last song on the album is a Christmas medley entitled "Little Silent Boy" which features Adrienne singing "Silent Night" and Billie Joe singing "Little Drummer Boy."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nominate next week's song and see the archives in the SotW Nominations and Archive thread.

I absolutely love the covers GD did on the website. Sucks that the quality is so shitty, but I've still been playing then non-stop since November. Haven't heard The Boo's medley, but I shall go and listen to it right now.

Green Day's version of Santa Claus Is Coming To Town is still my favourite!! Now there are so many covers around (Michael Buble's version is not so bad), but still, to hear it with that fast, rhytmical, energic punk rock add something to a Christmas classic :happy:and yay for Billie saying that Green Day fans "kick much more ass than anybody else's fans" :D

Little Silent Boy is a great, original cover of Silent Night, without that sleepily slooow melody...that's a song you can go wild with around the Christmas tree :lol: love the "pa rum pum pum pum" parts :happy:

Loving the Christmas song covers :D

I'm really amazed at tghe one of him as a teen, his voice hasn't seemed to change much since then, except get a little higher.

Great idea for song of the week and great idea to celebrate Christmas - Green Day Christmas carols!!!

I made my students dance to the Rockin around the christmas tree cover :P

I made my students dance to the Rockin around the christmas tree cover :P

Love these covers <3

Dunno why I haven't commented on this yet, great idea for SOTW!

Lol poor Billie, that video is hilarious. And I love that he played those songs down the phone :lol:. They're nice little covers, I especially like Rocking Around The Christmas Tree. And I like The First Noel simply because it's so weird hearing a proper Christmas Carol played Green Day style.

The Boo song is great! I can't stop listening to it (along with the other songs), such a lovely idea and a nice Christmas present for us all :happy:

Archived