Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Listen to Static Noise 94: We give our thoughts on Demolicious.

Photo

Abortion

Debate

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
859 replies to this topic

HeißblütigerPinguin

HeißblütigerPinguin
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2010
  • 164 rep
Well, we haven't had a debate for a while now and since this came up in my philosophy class again today and I'm very interested to in this topic in general, I'd like to see your views on abortion. It's a very controversial topic, so basically perfect stuff for a debate thread.

Do you support it or are you against it?
Abortion laws in your country?
Your own experiences (only if you're willing to share, of course)

Go on and debate!

P.S. I'm not gonna state my opinion now, I think the OP to a debate thread should be neutral.

fukingcounterstrike

fukingcounterstrike
  • GDC HR rep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,613 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2007
  • 3,588 rep
fun fun fun fun fun!

colour_me_stupid_

colour_me_stupid_
  • disappearin' in the fade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,728 posts
  • Joined Jan 07, 2007
  • 1,298 rep
Again? :lol:

pro choice. But I think there should be a time limit on when an abortion should be allowed, ie: I don't think it's right to abort a baby in the third trimester.

The abortion laws in Ireland are a fucking joke. Illegal unless the mother's life is at serious risk. Not illegal to travel abroad for one. Makes no sense. It's an abortion no matter where it's carried out..

John.

John.
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 28,885 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 6,795 rep

POPULAR

I believe abortion should be allowed under any circumstances in the first and second trimester, I also think it is a medical procedure which should be free and available under a universal healthcare system as all medical procedures should be in a civilized country. I also believe late term abortions with a doctor's approval and a valid medical reason should be allowed. I support the availability of abortion to minors without parental notification or permission. 100% pro-choice.

I am also against calling the anti-choice side "pro-life" since it's a stupid and inaccurate euphemism, even if fetuses were to be considered living human beings, their agenda does nothing to actually prevent abortion from occurring and they are decidedly against the welfare of women, because their agenda would result in unsafe abortions and poor health conditions. Further, I believe those who participate in acts of violence against abortion providers should be rightfully regarded as terrorists and treated as such in criminal courts.

HeißblütigerPinguin

HeißblütigerPinguin
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2010
  • 164 rep

Again? http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/...

Did I miss one? I searched...

John.

John.
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 28,885 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 6,795 rep

Did I miss one? I searched...

If I recall, the abortion thread hasn't been touched since General Discussion has been rebooted. It was once an amazing megathread, but now we can have a new one.

HeißblütigerPinguin

HeißblütigerPinguin
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2010
  • 164 rep

If I recall, the abortion thread hasn't been touched since General Discussion has been rebooted. It was once an amazing megathread, but now we can have a new one.

Ah okay, no wonder I didn't find it.

I agree with your statement wholeheartly and I have the situation with a friend of mine who tells me generally he values the right to life more that a woman's right to have control over her body, and I can't seem to make him understand that the right to life applies to persons not embryos/fetuses.

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love

• No, this is Patrick

• 30,271 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2008
  • 3,416 rep
Well, I fully agree with John's post... not sure what else to say.

In English class I had to discuss abortion and I had to be against it. It's fun acting like an ignorant pro-lifer when it's not serious.

bollard_11

bollard_11
  • Disposable Hero

• 8,623 posts
  • Joined Apr 17, 2009
  • 2,601 rep
A good punch in the gut or push down the stairs seems to be pretty effective I find!

HeißblütigerPinguin

HeißblütigerPinguin
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2010
  • 164 rep

A good punch in the gut or push down the stairs seems to be pretty effective I find!

Hey! Acts of violence against women, so funny!

Amanda

Amanda
  • Loved Very Much by Joey

• 29,484 posts
  • Joined Apr 08, 2005
  • 5,929 rep

POPULAR

Trotsky pretty much covered my thoughts on this.

The scent of this thread is almost certainly wafting it's way around the globe already, if I turn down the volume of my TV I can faintly hear the sound of Ingrid's coffin lid lifting.

bollard_11

bollard_11
  • Disposable Hero

• 8,623 posts
  • Joined Apr 17, 2009
  • 2,601 rep

Hey! Acts of violence against women, so funny!

It was just a stupid joke sorry

HeißblütigerPinguin

HeißblütigerPinguin
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2010
  • 164 rep

It was just a stupid joke sorry

It's okay, I'm glad you saw that and didn't make any "it was a harmless joke!! Don't act up!" comment

Penguin Puffball

Penguin Puffball
  • Resident Tree Hugger

• 16,426 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 1,310 rep

The scent of this thread is almost certainly wafting it's way around the globe already, if I turn down the volume of my TV I can faintly hear the sound of Ingrid's coffin lid lifting.

I literally just erupted into a fit of giggles. :lol:
I'm pro-life to an extent. If you were raped and conceived, if it's incetuous, or there's an immediate danger to either the mom or the child, then I'm okay with abortion. If you're continually gallavanting off to the.abortion clinic because you can't keep your goddamn legs shut, then I have a problem.

chewychorizo

chewychorizo
  • cutie

• 13,072 posts
  • Joined Aug 24, 2008
  • 2,803 rep
God i love this debate. i hope that guy comes in again who thought rape was bad but still thought IT WAS LYFFF! POTENTIAL HUMAN!!

Advertising

Penguin Puffball

Penguin Puffball
  • Resident Tree Hugger

• 16,426 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 1,310 rep

God i love this debate. i hope that guy comes in again who thought rape was bad but still thought IT WAS LYFFF! POTENTIAL HUMAN!!

I vaguely remember this guy :lol:
Rape is horrible. End of. Who needs to carry that reminder around with them every day for 9 months?

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• 13,840 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 2,658 rep

If you're continually gallavanting off to the.abortion clinic because you can't keep your goddamn legs shut, then I have a problem.

This isn't healthy and I'm pretty sure your doctor would have words if this was happening.

I know we're talking about hypothetical lady x who hasn't heard of condoms, but I have literally yet to hear of such a person, and such a doctor that's said 'well okie these things do happen you know'. so idk why she keeps being brought up.

chickin'pickin'

chickin'pickin'
  • (White man) In Hammersmith Palais

• 18,214 posts
  • Joined Oct 19, 2006
  • 321 rep

Coathanger is the best.

• No, this is Patrick

• 30,271 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2008
  • 3,416 rep

Rape is horrible. End of. Who needs to carry that reminder around with them every day for 9 months?

Not just 9 months, the rest of their life.

Penguin Puffball

Penguin Puffball
  • Resident Tree Hugger

• 16,426 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 1,310 rep

Not just 9 months, the rest of their life.

Maybe my comment was pretty ignorant. I meant physically carrying the kid in the stomach for that amount. There is always adoption, but that won't make the memories of rape go away.

whatsmyname_jimmy

whatsmyname_jimmy
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Joined Dec 30, 2005
  • 85 rep
I went to a roman catholic school, and this was a major topic in RE (Religion Studies). I got suspended for being the only one in my class who didn't disagree with abortion :lol: They even showed the 'abortion video' to 14/15 year olds but only if parents consented. The video was nothing but brainwash tripe. I quote - "This girl is 14 and about to get an abortion, if we freeze frame here, we can see the baby screaming, would you want your unborn child to scream, to feel pain like this?"

Anywho,

John pretty much covered my opinion on the matter..

• No, this is Patrick

• 30,271 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2008
  • 3,416 rep

Maybe my comment was pretty ignorant. I meant physically carrying the kid in the stomach for that amount. There is always adoption, but that won't make the memories of rape go away.

Yeah, I know, I just added that to it.
Because even giving the kid up for adoption will stay with you the rest of your life. Giving up your child isn't something you do just like that without emotional attachment, no matter how the child was conceived.
Rape will traumatize you either way, but if you can abort the child, at least you won't have that following you the rest of your life as well.

I was really just supporting your post, sorry if that was unclear :)

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• 13,840 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 2,658 rep

I went to a roman catholic school, and this was a major topic in RE (Religion Studies). I got suspended for being the only one in my class who didn't disagree with abortion http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/... They even showed the 'abortion video' to 14/15 year olds but only if parents consented. The video was nothing but brainwash tripe. I quote - "This girl is 14 and about to get an abortion, if we freeze frame here, we can see the baby screaming, would you want your unborn child to scream, to feel pain like this?"

Anywho,

I went to a roman catholic school, and this was a major topic in RE (Religion Studies). I got suspended for being the only one in my class who didn't disagree with abortion http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/... They even showed the 'abortion video' to 14/15 year olds but only if parents consented. The video was nothing but brainwash tripe. I quote - "This girl is 14 and about to get an abortion, if we freeze frame here, we can see the baby screaming, would you want your unborn child to scream, to feel pain like this?"

Anywho,

facking hell.

I was about to go on a massive tirade about religious institutions like this: christian orphanages that don't let gays adopt and now this but then I realised, I go to a church school. that shit's crazy, and I've never encountered anything like it.

ScreamsInSilence815

ScreamsInSilence815
  • Broken Biscuit

• 6,335 posts
  • Joined Nov 26, 2008
  • 378 rep
One hundred percent pro-choice for everyone, in every circumstance and in every situation. If you're pregnant, and feel that abortion is the right choice for you, then go right ahead. I will continue to fight for your right to obtain a legal, safe, abortion until the day I die. The availability of safe abortion is necessary to everyone's reproductive health (since not only women can get pregnant, but we often forget to acknowledge this). The UN even recently released a statement saying that the ability to have an abortion, as well as to obtain adequate contraceptive methods, is a human right.

I'm pro-life to an extent. If you were raped and conceived, if it's incetuous, or there's an immediate danger to either the mom or the child, then I'm okay with abortion. If you're continually gallavanting off to the.abortion clinic because you can't keep your goddamn legs shut, then I have a problem.

This argument is pretty nonsensical. Abortion can cost upwards of $400-$500 a shot. Preventative birth control is pretty much the more sensible thing to do. The chances of someone purposely having sex without protection just go go and have repeat abortions is pretty slim. It may happen in one or two cases, but not in a significant percentage.
Also, there's nothing wrong with people having sex as much as they'd like and with whom they wish, as long as it's consensual. There is something wrong with sex-policing though, which is what this statement implies. Also, it's clear you're not truly concerned with life, because why should a fetus conceived through rape be worth any less than one conceived otherwise, if life is so valuable? You're indicating that you believe pregnancy is a punishment for having sex.

captain peroxide

captain peroxide
  • Crunch

• 14,924 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 5,218 rep

carrying the kid in the stomach

C'mon, really?

whatsmyname_jimmy

whatsmyname_jimmy
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Joined Dec 30, 2005
  • 85 rep

facking hell.

I was about to go on a massive tirade about religious institutions like this: christian orphanages that don't let gays adopt and now this but then I realised, I go to a church school. that shit's crazy, and I've never encountered anything like it.

Welcome to the scottish education system - Although in saying that, there actually getting rid of all catholic schools in my area. When they teach kids such biased views, i can't really blame them.

johndorkian

johndorkian
  • even lovers drown

• 14,424 posts
  • Joined Dec 31, 2006
  • 2,361 rep
pro-choice. john summed up my feelings on abortion.

ScreamsInSilence815

ScreamsInSilence815
  • Broken Biscuit

• 6,335 posts
  • Joined Nov 26, 2008
  • 378 rep
The anti-choice movement in the United States is getting frightening. Although Obama has already said he will immediately veto any bill that tries to restrict the right to choose abortion, the fact that the entire anti-abortion movement has been trying to introduce bill after horrifying bill (Amendment 26 in Mississippi is just one example) is terrifying. So glad the voters in MS got their shit together and realized how much something like Amendment 26 (that would outlaw abortion at any gestational age, as well as make birth control illegal, to name a few of the gems of that bill) would strain the economy and voted it down...but now Florida is trying to introduce a "fetal pain" bill and Ohio is trying the same crap as MS.

chickin'pickin'

chickin'pickin'
  • (White man) In Hammersmith Palais

• 18,214 posts
  • Joined Oct 19, 2006
  • 321 rep

Every cloud....

HeißblütigerPinguin

HeißblütigerPinguin
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2010
  • 164 rep

This isn't healthy and I'm pretty sure your doctor would have words if this was happening.

Abortion is actually one of safest medical procedures there is. Having more than one abortion is not a health hazard

I literally just erupted into a fit of giggles. http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/...

Consent to sex is not consent to pregnancy, so please stop slut-shaming. Accidents happen. Who are you to deny these pregnant women access to health care they have every right to?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Debate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users