Green Day Across the World is being closed

Fuzz

Facts have come forward, and true to my word, now is the time for you guys to be able to discuss what we know is true. GDATW will be closing, or at least, it will no longer be receiving any type of support from our sites and I will encourage all of our staff to not be involved with any aspect of it. We talked last week regarding concerns raised about Dawn, who was running the entire thing. Some people had not received their items, and people started to doubt whether or not Dawn was telling the truth about some of her situations (her military career, her health and hospitalization) which affected her ability to fully run GDATW. Dawn explained that she was in the hospital (which I still believe to be true, but even now I can't be sure of anything) and that Kat (peanutgallery on GDC) would be taking over GDATW. Dawn sent both Kat and myself a bunch of photos which she claimed proved her military career. While looking into that, people noticed the photos were actually not of Dawn, but others in the military which could be found online. Someone else looked into the documents she claimed were hers and found discrepancies that doubted those as well. That has led us to where we are today. I think GDATW was a great idea that Dawn started with good intentions, but lied about aspects about her life to get more attention. She gave Billie Joe a purple heart which we now know she couldn't have received (she was in the military, but was never deployed and was not injured in war), and she met a lot of people through our sites and told them her story about how Green Day helped her through the trying times after being hurt overseas. It was deceitful and she lied to all of us, over and over, about her story.

I think it's best for us to just close the chapter on GDATW and move on. I will stress here once again, that GDA's only involvement with this organization was helping to promote it a few times throughout the year. We mainly encouraged people to meet up on May 28th to help clean up their communities, but it's fair to say that many of the people who became involved found it through GDC because this is where the idea was created, and this was where Dawn organized much of the event and getting the word out. That's why I think this thread needs to be made and you guys deserve to know where things are at.

First and foremost, if you ordered something from the GDATW charity auctions and did not receive your items, you should talk to PayPal and Amazon and file a claim for a refund. PayPal has a limit of 45 days, but it may still be worth your time to try and get a refund. I don't believe Amazon has a time-limit (within reason), as long as you can prove you didn't get your items and paid for them.

PayPal Complaint Process

Amazon Complaint Process

Kat (peanutgallery on GDC) was going to help take over GDATW from Dawn after she explained her hospitalization and how that affected her ability to keep up with everything. Kat is the one who asked Dawn for an explanation in light of all these new accusations, and Dawn did confess to her the truth. This is Kat's post from the GDATW Facebook Group

It is with a heavy heart that I am updating everyone to say that gdatw as we know it will not be moving forward. A new page will be formed to gather ideas for what to do next year and what to call it. As for Dawn, she has admitted to all fabrications. For her privacy I am choosing not to give details. Her intentions were good but the lies consumed her. If I ever receive the items I will let everyone know. Thank you for your patience in finding the truth. I still hope most of you will help me celebrate and recognize our environment and Green Day sometime next year.

I mentioned in the other thread that Dawn said she would show me proof that money people spent went to charities, but I have yet to receive that. We know with some certainty that some money went to Pipeline for a Cure when she attended the Costa Mesa show, but we've yet to receive any kind of proof for any other donations. While Dawn's personal life seems to be exaggerated, we still don't have proof to believe she ripped everyone off. As far as we know most people did get the items they ordered (or replacements), and since news came out last week about everything, only two individuals have come forward saying they didn't get the items they wanted. There may be more, but we may never know the full extent as those people should be taking their complaints to PayPal and Amazon at this point.

GDATW was a great idea, just poorly executed in just about every way. After the new year, we'll have a topic to discuss how we here at GDC can start this idea over from scratch and make it something our community feels like getting involved with to give the idea justice, transparency, and the proper oversight to protect our members. I don't think we can let one person ruin something that hundreds of people believed in getting involved with. For now, this thread is just a way for us to try and close this chapter once and for all and move on as a community.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a shame about GDATW, it was a really good idea but like you said it was poorly executed, but considering the circumstances this is definitely the best decision

About as fair as it gets. Sad, but we can move on now to some extent and hopefully bring this full circle back to the good idea it started out as.

This is sad but I'm glad the truth has come out and things can be resolved and over with now. Thanks for everything you've done to get this sorted out! And I totally agree with the last paragraph, the idea of a group of people doing something to help the environment or some other cause together certainly isn't owned by one person or one name. Absolutely no need to give up on that idea.

Hear, hear. That way, one person doesn't have full control over the ideas and events but have it spread out through the community. Maybe it'll be better executed that way.

As for the lies and deceit...it's the Internet. Time to bandage up the wounds and move on.

Hear, hear. That way, one person doesn't have full control over the ideas and events but have it spread out through the community. Maybe it'll be better executed that way.

As for the lies and deceit...it's the Internet. Time to bandage up the wounds and move on.

I'd just like to say that it wasn't just the internet. A lot of us actually knew her. Spent time with her. Listened to those stories face to face. Shed tears for that woman.

I will say this, the people she's taken advantage of may be hurt, but I feel that in the long run, it's better that they know. That their kindness can't be used for personal gain anymore. And also that I hope that this inspires Dawn to get the help she needs, and I wish her nothing but wellness.

Furthermore, I agree that the event, while it needs a revamp, should continue. It brought a lot of people together for the purpose of doing something good, and I can't forget that aspect- hard as it may be. And I fully intend to help out however I can, and support whatever it becomes next year.

I'd just like to say that it wasn't just the internet. A lot of us actually knew her. Spent time with her. Listened to those stories face to face. Shed tears for that woman.

And so was I. But at least it's over and out in the open.

And so was I. But at least it's over and out in the open.

I agree that it's out, but I don't really agree that it's over. A lot of people are very hurt by the truth that they were lied to and used. It's not as simple as slapping a virtual band-aid on it and making that go away.

The trust of a lot of people was broken, and that's very real and not something to just let go. It's going to take time for some people to fully heal, and I don't think it's fair to say to bandage it up and let it go.

Yes, moving forward is necessary, but it isn't going to happen right away. There were real feelings at stake, you know?

I'm sad at the outcome of all of this. For Dawn, and for all the people she interacted with that were hurt, for the trust of those of us at GDA/GDC that wanted "to believe" in her. As the saying goes, time heals all wounds. And one other, this will make us stronger. I fully believe we, as a community, will be stronger from this experience.

Cheers to next year's event. Whatever it's called and however it works. Let's at least keep the spirit of the idea alive.

I'm sad at the outcome of all of this. For Dawn, and for all the people she interacted with that were hurt, for the trust of those of us at GDA/GDC that wanted "to believe" in her. As the saying goes, time heals all wounds. And one other, this will make us stronger. I fully believe we, as a community, will be stronger from this experience.

Cheers to next year's event. Whatever it's called and however it works. Let's at least keep the spirit of the idea alive.

Hear, hear!

Honestly, with the outcome of all this, it just makes me more excited for next years event. I want for everyone to do something good, but I'd also like to see it be a little bit more about Green Day (And not just something that has their name tacked onto it to make it bigger)

Maybe a bit of a celebration of what it means to be a Green Day fan. Something based on what they've inspired us to do? Not even just cleaning up the environment (But of course, there's no reason that can't be part of it) but a combination of things. Groups of people everywhere doing different things that Green Day have inspired us to do. Even if it's just to meet up and hang out with people we wouldn't have known otherwise.

I'm of course not very happy to hear this, but it's good to have some closure, instead of rumours and suspicions about what actually happened. Thanks.

I definitely think it should be continued under another name in a different form, perhaps on a different date too :happy: Even though the organisation had left a lot to be desired, it was still fun and I'm looking forward to doing it again, in a proper way this time.

I'm glad to see the truth is finally out. As sad as it is, Dawn should have known she couldn't have lied to us all forever. To everyone who knew her well and have been taken advantage of more then the rest of us, I'm so sorry, I know what being lied to by a good friend feels like. Those wounds will heal over time.

I also just wanted to say thanks to Andres and whoever else helped sorted this out - this was in no way your responsibility, and you guys taking the time to untangled this web is absolutely amazing. Kudos to you. This just goes to show what a great community we have here.

"And for our fans, they're just crazy people anyway. I always look at people in a Green Day shirt, and I think, 'What's wrong with that person?"

Billie Joe Armstrong

So because one person lied about her life and whatnot, we all need to give up on the idea of GDATW?

Well, I don't know about others, but we're already planning our next meet-up here and no matter how many people will end up doing the same next year, I'm already looking forward to it.

"And for our fans, they're just crazy people anyway. I always look at people in a Green Day shirt, and I think, 'What's wrong with that person?"

Billie Joe Armstrong

:lol: I never heard that quote. But he's quite right with that actually :ninja:

We're not giving up, just revamping... I loved my event last year. as a few others have said, we still wanna do something, but with a new face... and I think on a different day.. memorial day weekend doesnt work very well.

anja.. oh geez.. i didnt even read your name first , i just read the post.. duh.. we are on the same page.. that was not a cut against you.. smileyface.

I don't think this could've been put any better. Thanks for letting us now, instead of giving us half the details like most other people would.

Whatever happens, I really hope the vague concept isn't abandoned altogether. Cleaning up the environment as a community is an amazing thing, especially for Green Day. I hope we can do something in 2012 that's better organised.

Thanks for the post and detailed information, Andres. The whole situation is pretty sad.

I feel badly about the people who were taken in and invested emotionally and financially.

Looking forward to something planned for next year! This time, I will get involved. :)

I think a vote would be a good idea for a date next year if it is to carry on in some way, which i think it will.

I think a vote would be a good idea for a date next year if it is to carry on in some way, which i think it will.

agreed. andres and i touched on that in the other thread.. memorial day weekend here just doesnt work well... maybe something in the summer?

so sad about how things turn out being :( but I'll love to get involve again with this project because it was a really great idea which should bring us closer :)

I didn't realize that you guys weren't going to do anything with some sort of GDATW next year. When I posted on my Facebook, I thought you were!

However, I encourage the idea living on in some fashion. The environment/GD thing is pretty neat.

But, I totally understand.

To Kat: thanks confirming the information that I posted on Facebook and for talking with her. Even as upset as I may be about all of this, I think she needs help. I think also that she is extremely lucky to have had (or have) a friend like you.

Thanks Andres and Tony for all of your work on this. I'm sure it hasn't been easy for GDA at all.

Thanks also to Fallyn (MommysLittleNightmare) and Marian for their support and information.

Anyway, as I said on my Facebook, I'll be writing a retraction on my blog this weekend. I know it's not my fault as people have pointed out, but I just need to do it for my readers (if anyone's left since I haven't posted since May) and for my own sense of propriety and self-worth. This will happen after I get shit-faced drunk tonight, so hopefully I'll finish it by the time Sunday rolls around and the hangover rolls away.

Facts have come forward, and true to my word, now is the time for you guys to be able to discuss what we know is true.

I'm heartbroken that such a great idea that already produced some positive results -- especially bringing so many Green Day fans together behind a common, altruistic purpose -- had to come to this conclusion. Thanks for getting to the bottom of it and doing what needs to be done at this point -- I guess all that can be done is take the highest road possible, move on, and see if this phoenix can rise from the ashes in some other, better-managed form, this coming spring.

The crazy fucking coot finally fessed up?! Thank shit --- This moment was well overdue.

And yeah, I realise this post is highly unclassy and most probably not politically correct, but c'mon. This is GDC, we don't have to be tactful and well worded 24/7 --- That's exactly what caused this problem in the first place.

If we had've addressed Dawn's issues in a normal GDC manner to begin with, maybe we wouldn't have had to go through all of this. Not to say we should start taking a 4Chan approach on things, but not cautiously tip toeing around suspicious types in the future might be of benefit to the entire community ... Y'know?

And Anja, if you absolutely must continue celebrating Day Of The Dawn, at least give a different name ... Geez.

we don't have to be tactful and well worded 24/7 --- That's exactly what caused this problem in the first place.

I can speak from the perspective of having been through my own quarter-life crisis some years ago in saying (without getting into details) that even the best-intentioned person can wind up in over their heads and think that lying and even stealing is the only way to get out of it. We can be angry, frustrated, sad, hurt -- and, yes, even pissed as all fucking hell as a result of what's been done to some of us individually and to our community collectively -- but we can also remember we're talking about another human being with some real serious problems. Maybe we can (and should) find some compassion there.

Archived