Do Da Da

pasalaska

Okay folks, a fair few of you have asked for it, so here it is.

Song of the Week this week is the Insomniac b-side Do Da Da, originally released in 1996 on the Brain Stew/Jaded single, but more commonly known as track 12 off the 2002 b-side compilation album Shenanigans.

As most of you probably already know, Do Da Da was originally recorded for Insomniac, and at the time was known as ‘Stuck With Me’, however when the song was cut from Insomniac’s track listing, another song was wrongly named ‘Stuck With Me’. The band decided to keep the name change for the new Stuck With Me, and hence gave the original song the nonsensical name Do Da Da instead.

Despite its rather silly name and somewhat cheery sound, Do Da Da’s lyrics are actually quite sad. The song’s narrator is obviously speaking to the other person in his relationship (“hand up your soul to my wrist and I’ll vow my trust to you”), and is acknowledging just how much that other person has sacrificed and supported him, and because of their closeness, has been drawn into the negativity of the narrator’s life (“every time I’m falling down you take the repercussions” and “rush into my depression, sacrifice everything, waste with me into nothing, well now you’re stuck with me”). There’s a real bitter-sweet tone in the lyrics; they’re both thankful for that other person being there, but at the same time they have a deep, underlying regret over getting a loved one trapped in such a sad situation. Musically, this song is classic Green Day – simple, upbeat and short.

Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be any live audio or video recordings of this song, so this week’s video is simply the album version of the song. Oh well, it’s still awesome.

Video credit: NoPride6

Lyrics:

Every time I'm falling down

You take the repercussions

Headaches and anxieties

Advancing my frustrations

Rush into my depression

Sacrifice everything

Waste with me into nothing

Well now you're stuck with me

Stuck with me

Stuck with me

Hand up your soul to my wrist

And I'll vow my trust to you

Moving on and I always thought

I realized you've imagined

Rush into my depression

Sacrifice everything

Stuck with me

Stuck with me

Rush into my depression

Sacrifice everything

Stuck with me

Stuck with me

*********************************************************************************************************

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the SotW Nominations and Archive thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week in its first post.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, like you said, it does have that sort of "Cheesy" sound, like a lite rock song on a crappy radio station. I always didn't really like this one, and still kind of feel the same. I mean, it's still Green Day, but the overall lingo isn't really up my alley. I hadn't looked at the lyrics until now, and I'm actually kind of surprised at them, based on the overall tone of the song itself. But then again, Billie does weird stuff when he's on crack :D

Or girls. :D :D

Well, like you said, it does have that sort of "Cheesy" sound, like a lite rock song on a crappy radio station. I always didn't really like this one, and still kind of feel the same. I mean, it's still Green Day, but the overall lingo isn't really up my alley. I hadn't looked at the lyrics until now, and I'm actually kind of surprised at them, based on the overall tone of the song itself. But then again, Billie does weird stuff when he's on crack :D

Or girls. :D :D

I said cheery not cheesy :mellow:

anyways, I'm still not 100% convinced about the lines 'Moving on and I always thought, I realized you've imagined'. Maybe Billie just got a severe case of the mumbles, but it just doesn't sound like he's singing those words.

I said cheery not cheesy :mellow:

anyways, I'm still not 100% convinced about the lines 'Moving on and I always thought, I realized you've imagined'. Maybe Billie just got a severe case of the mumbles, but it just doesn't sound like he's singing those words.

HAHA I FAIL!!!!!!!

This is one of my all time favorite GD songs, I love it more than words can possibly express. I can relate to these lyrics more than most GD songs, and I've turned to this song several times when I've needed comfort, when I've needed to know I wasn't alone. I am forever grateful for Do Da Da.

I do love this song. I didn't know it was cut from the album first... Or that Stuck With Me was wrongly named. But I'm glad it made it onto the single and Shenanigans. I love that entire album, but I've always loved the sound of Do Da Da and the under toned lyrics. I'm glad it's the song of the week :)

Not a huge fan of the song, but I do love the name :P and how the name got mixed up with Stuck With Me.

Great song! I'd like to hear it live one day :D

My fav lyric is:

Hand up your soul to my wrist

And I'll vow my trust to you

Always loved this song, it's right up there with "suffocate" & "desensitised" as one of my favourite songs on shenanigans.

Such dark lyrics contrasting the bright happy melody of the song always fascinated me.

I actually never really listened to that song. I knew it, but it was just one of those songs you're not paying too much attention. A few weeks ago I started listening to it more often and now it's really one of my favorite songs on shenanigans, right after desensitised :) I love the contrast between the lyrics and the music! :)

I discovered this song only lately, I've been listening to it quite often, recently :) Perfect choice for me :D

I totally love this song. And yes, for me it was one of these songs you don't pay that much attention. But about a year or something like that ago I kept myself more busy with it and fell in love with it right away. I think it's a typical Green Day song.. but I'd really like it to be longer, 'cause I think it's an amazing song :)

Great song. The sad, depressing lyrics are as much typical as the sound itself for the Insomniac era. I really like it :)

I've never paid that much attention to the song. I like the sound and the title.

I think the way Billie sings it, all like, dragging, fits the lyrics. It's just about the only thing about how the song sounds that fits the lyrics, too. I like how honest and raw the lyrics are, there's no sign of whining in there.

I think it's the mumbles... what I hear combined with those lyrics would be "Moving in ahnn always thought / I re'lized you've imagined". I think he's just swallowing some of the syllables.

To me, this isn't classic Green Day at all. This is probably one of my least favourite songs of all time, I almost always skip it. It just irritates me, especially at the beginning. I find it very similar to Brain Stew, too boring and repetitive. Sorry to all the Do Da Da lovers out there :lol:

To me, this isn't classic Green Day at all. This is probably one of my least favourite songs of all time, I almost always skip it. It just irritates me, especially at the beginning. I find it very similar to Brain Stew, too boring and repetitive. Sorry to all the Do Da Da lovers out there :lol:

I'm offended. :(

I had to look up the lyrics when you quoted "repercussions" - for some reason, i didn't think it was spelt that way and when i saw it, it looked strange. I think the musical link in the word (i love a pun) re- "percussions" takes the meaning of the line even further. Whether that was intentional or not, i don't know!

I don't listen to it very often, but if I think about the lyrics it's a depressing, sad song, so I guess that's the reason I like it.

The giggles at the end makes me wonder if he really felt 'stuck', or what was going on there... :lol:

'Sick of Me' always springs up when I think of this song, because they line up ; they come from the same kind of place, and 'sick of me'/'stuck with me' partner-up. Even though 'Sick of Me' takes a more belligerent attitude, and 'Do Da Da' is more lamenting, they're both kicking at a guilt-trip - it's like not wanting the other person's self-sacrifice, somewhere resenting the burden of it.

This song is blunt and vivid and full of chaotic emotions, blurted out and unresolved - 'no meaning and no healing', just a punctuation, a place-mark in an ongoing turmoil. It fucking takes something to write something like this.

I think the younger audience on here appreciates the song less than the few of us slightly older audience. I've been hearing Green Day's music since 1994, so not having just started listening to the band only since American Idiot leaves me much more open-minded to their variations of material, in my opinion.

I've liked this song for quite some time. I've used it as my default ringback tone for almost 2 years now. It's different than a lot of their other material, and so are a several of their other B-sides. I just really like the simple electric guitar/bass/drums in the song, along with the catchy melody of the vocals. And I love Tre's ride cymbal during the chorus. I always love when Tre uses a ride during the chorus though haha.

Anyhow, I'm glad this song got recognized. The kinda romantic-esque lyrics remind me a little of "Pop Rocks and Coke". I think a lot of the audience just has to remember that Green Day didn't always sound like American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown. And their sound is going to change again in the future. The guys are constantly changing their sound, and though I'd still love to hear another Insomiac or even 39/Smooth-sounding album from them, I love that they do that and I always love the new material they put out.

Archived