Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Posted Image Trick or treat! We have a new Halloween theme. We also have two Halloween contests going on right now - enter with your pumpkin carvings here and your costumes here!

Photo

Food

• Please log in to reply
2319 replies to this topic

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him
  • a nightmare dressed like a daydream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,603 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,482 rep

Pasta with homemade pasta sauce. I whip it up in 10 minutes. 

Pasta should be clear, basic tomato sauce is dice up 3 tomatoes pp in small dices (so it cooks faster), saute/fry/whatever it's called them (you put them in a pan with a little oil) until they're starting to fall apart, add some tomato puree to thicken and herbs or spices by taste (I like using paprika, a tiny bit of chili, basil or oregano or italian herb mix whatever you like, and tarragon. If the tomatoes are really sour you can add a pinch of sugar). I add a splash of milk or cream but that's not necessary. Then you can dress it up with whatever you like. Other vegetables, some protein ingredient, whatever you like. It's really good on its own too when you're going for minimal, just pasta with tomato sauce and a little cheese. 

The way you've explained making sauce makes me wonder why we bother buying jars of it :mellow: Seems so easy to make.

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love
  • No, this is Patrick

• 30,786 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2008
  • 3,695 rep

The way you've explained making sauce makes me wonder why we bother buying jars of it :mellow: Seems so easy to make.

It doesn't just seem easy, it really is! Including the prep (which is just "chop tomatoes"), it takes as much time as it takes to cook the pasta so you're not losing time over it at all either, it tastes a lot better and is much healthier too. :)

If you're making it for more than two people it takes a little longer just because the sauce doesn't reduce as fast (too much wateriness to be compensated for by the tomato puree), but that's just waiting time. 

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• 14,468 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 2,947 rep

Yeah, pasta has been my go to but I really wanted to branch out from that. Actually, are there any vegans ITT? What do you people use to eat

Stacie Anne

Stacie Anne
  • 12,810 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • 7,352 rep

Yeah, pasta has been my go to but I really wanted to branch out from that. Actually, are there any vegans ITT? What do you people use to eat

my go to was Quorn mince, chili beans & rice. really fuckin filling & fairly healthy (compared to my usual meals anyway). 

• Kayfabe likes this

Iva

Iva
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts
  • Joined May 22, 2013
  • 3,833 rep

I also tried pleskavica, if I spelt that right, which I preferred, though yeah I did find it all a bit greasy & stodgy. Apart from that I didn't find it that different to burgers and sausages you get anywhere else.

Hmm yeah I guess I could just season them and eat them as a snack.

You missed only one letter, a single one of those is pljeskavica, with a LJ (and yup, that one is actually a letter of its own). So, pretty good, I'd say, ;)

What you get depends on many factors. My mom always picks the pieces of meat to be minced for our ćevapčići and pljeskavice, and some butchers and supermarkets are keeping the quality levels high; but some others...yuck. I remember getting a pack of ready to fry ćevapčići somewhere and they were more grease than meat. Ugh. :(

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Super Nintendo Chalmers

• 14,702 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,728 rep

aw, I was gonna give you my pasta salad recipe but then I read this 

How about curried rice salad?

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• 14,468 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 2,947 rep

aw, I was gonna give you my pasta salad recipe but then I read this 

How about curried rice salad?

How does that one work

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Super Nintendo Chalmers

• 14,702 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,728 rep

How does that one work

You boil a cup of rice with a handful of peas, and then drain them and add some curry powder. Then saute half an onion with some almonds and add those to the rice. Then you can add some salt, pepper, or other spices as you like. You can eat it hot or cold. I normally have it cold in summer but I reckon it'd be alright hot too. I like it for summer 'cause it's really quick and also tastes kind of light, which is good in hot weather

AlissaGoesRAWR

AlissaGoesRAWR
  • Hash Slinging Slasher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,628 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2012
  • 4,907 rep

The coffee shop at the mall apparently has bacon syrup for its lattes... Do I try it, or no? And hot, iced or frozen? So many CHOICES! #amurica

.Holly

.Holly
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Joined Apr 01, 2009
  • 1,086 rep

I have just put a pork shoulder joint into the oven to roast for 7 hours.  I added soy sauce, ginger, garlic, cinnamon and star anise to the roasting tin to make it super tasty. Never made it before so fingers crossed!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users