"I'm so fucking happy I could cry" in Nice Guys Finish Last;

"Are you scared to death to live" (Still Breathing);

"Christmas lights in the middle of August" in Deadbeat Holiday;

"Something inside this heart has died" (21 Guns;

Boulevard of Broken Dreams entirely.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"You found a home in all your scars and ammunition" is my favourite lyric of all time. The character has scars from the past, but despite them she's found a home with her ammunition (hope, ambition, determination) for the future. It's so hopeful and was truly inspirational to 14 year-old me when it came out. I'm sure I've already said this in a similar thread but can't miss an opportunity to praise that song ;)

I also love:

"My heart is beating from me / I'm standing all alone / Please call me only if you are coming home"

"Where do we go from here and what did you do with the directions? / Promise me no dead end streets and I'll guarantee we'll have the road"

"Dance forever under the lights / This brutal love ... Bad sex, buy me a trainwreck / Something for my troubled mind"

"I had a dream that I kissed your lips and it felt so true / Then I woke up as a nervous wreck and I fell for you / I'll spend the night living in denial / Making paper planes just for a while"

And a new one: "My head's above the rain and roses / Making my way to you"

I could write an essay about all the lyrics I love but I'll leave it there :P

As for quotes, I know we can't take everything they say 100% seriously, but I really do love this quote of Billie's about their live shows and I think it's safe to say he's being truthful: “Our shows are really fun and jovial and can also be pretty spiritual. Just let yourself go. And this is a place where every weirdo, every anxiety-prone, awkward human being can come and feel at home.”

One line that keeps my heart from breaking day in and day out is "throw my emotions in the grave, hell who needs them anyway!"

Among a fuckload of other lyrics that have inspired and kept me alive. Billie is a master of finding the right words.

Another great batch of lyrics is:

I don't know you but I think I hate you
You're the reason for my misery
Strange, how you've become my biggest enemy
And I've never even seen your face.

I remember that this line from Macy's Day Parade hit me hard and wouldn't let me go for weeks when I discovered this song on my first Green Day CD, which was International Superhits. It still gives me a lot to think about whenever I try to figure out what I really want in my life.

"Cause I'm thinking about a brand new hope
The one I've never known
And where it goes
And I'm thinking about the only road
The one I've never known
And where it goes
And I'm thinking about a brand new hope
The one I've never known
Cause now I know
It's all that I wanted"

"Your heart can't even break when it doesn't even pound" (Rusty James)

"You gotta live 'cuz life goes on" (J.A.R)

"I declare I don't care no more" (the quote that represents me the most, Burnout)

"I fell in love, but it didn't catch your fall"; "Here goes nothing, the shouting's over" (X-Kid)

"To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy. To run, to run away, to find what you believe" (JOS)  is probably my all time favorite. I also love "And I leave behind this hurricane of fucking lies. And I walked this line a million and one fucking times but not this time". 

"If you could see inside my head then you'd start to understand the things I value in my heart" (JAR). 

"She, she's figured out all her doubts were someone else's point of view" (She)

"Marching out of time to my own beat now, the only way I know" (Minority)

"Never trusted anyone let alone myself" (Armatage Shanks).

"Well, I don't want to be an imbecile but Jesus made me that way" (Sex, Drugs and Violence). While I don't relate to it, it's been inspiring for me.

"You taught me how to live" (Homecoming) is my relationship with Green Day basically... "The first time I caught a glimpse of you, then all my thoughts were only of you" (Only of You) is that + my teenage years with my crush xD so it's emotional for me also. 

"I feel like I've been crucified to be satisfied. I'm a victim of my symptom, I am my own worst enemy. You're a victim of your symptom, you are your own worst enemy. Know your enemy (...) You're a victim of the system you are you own worst enemy" (Restless Heart Syndrome)

"Cause I'm thinking about a brand new hope, the one I've never known and where it goes. And I'm thinking about the only road, the one I've never known and where it goes. And I'm thinking about a brand new hope, the one I've never known. Cause now I know it's all that I wanted" (Macy's Day Parade).

Those are just some, I have so many....... From the new album I still have to think about it more but there are some lyrics that I really like. "Hallelujah I found my soul under the sofa pillows" (Somewhere Now), "I ain't gonna stand in line no more" (Forever Now) , "my head's above the rain and roses" (Still Breathing)... Also "I wanna be a celebrity martyr, the leading man in my own private drama. Hurrah, hurrah, the hero of the hour. Daddy's little psycho and Mommy's little soldier" (Bang Bang) I think those are great. And Troubled Times on it's entirety.

My favorite quote is probably from Billie Joe: "There's always a lesson somewhere on a path to nowhere". He said that in an interview in 2010 or so? For some gay magazine I remember. 

On 5/11/2011 at 5:10 AM, KilljoyFromDetroit said:

Favorite lyric

"You cant go forcing something if its just not right" - when i come around

" gotta make a plan gotta do whats right cant run around in circles if you wanna build a life well i dont wanna make a plan for a day far away while im young and while im able all i wanna do is..." - J.A.R

Favorite Green Day Quote

"The day you become old is the day you're not looking for new experiances anymore" - Billie Joe

I know this is 5 years old but I love yours :P 

8 hours ago, MMwhatsername said:

I remember that this line from Macy's Day Parade hit me hard and wouldn't let me go for weeks when I discovered this song on my first Green Day CD, which was International Superhits. It still gives me a lot to think about whenever I try to figure out what I really want in my life.

"Cause I'm thinking about a brand new hope
The one I've never known
And where it goes
And I'm thinking about the only road
The one I've never known
And where it goes
And I'm thinking about a brand new hope
The one I've never known
Cause now I know
It's all that I wanted"

That whole song is just so beautiful and poignant. I love it.

Best lines for each song on the new album:

"Hallelujah, I found my soul under the sofa pillows."
(Somewhere Now)

"I am a semi-automatic lonely boy."
(Bang Bang)

"We will be seen but not be heard." (Revolution Radio)

"Kindred spirits sing, for the sick and suffering."
(Say Goodbye)

"We destroyed suburbia."
(Outlaws)

"I got Satan riding next to me."
(Bouncing Off The Walls)

"Are you scared to death to live?"
(Still Breathing)

"I wanna hold you like a gun, we'll shoot the moon into the sun."
(Youngblood)

"I feel like a cello, lost somewhere over the rainbow."
(Too Dumb to Die)

"The world stops turning, paradise burning."
(Troubled Times)

"I'm like a punk-rocker on labor day." (I was born on the 1st of May, here in Italy is kinda labor day)
"I want a better way to die."
"I wanna start a revolution, I wanna hear it on my radio."
(Forever Now)

"I've walked to the end of the earth and afar."
(Ordinary World)

• 4 weeks later...

For some reason I love the line "Legalize the truth" from Revolution Radio.

"It says home is where your heart is, but what a shame, 'cause everyone's heart doesn't beat the same. It's beating out of time" is another favourite of mine, but that seems to be a rather common opinion. 

I also like the line "Without a doubt, singled out the only way I know" it just feels satisfying to say it, am I making sense?

Legalise the truth is super cool.  I also love "you were searching  your soul,  you got lost and out of control.  you went over the edge of joking,  died of a broken heart." Always cuts deep 

"Hey, you're giving me a heart atack, you're giving me a cardiac arrest when I'm standing on the traffic lights" first Green Day lyrics I could think of 

17 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

"Hey, you're giving me a heart atack, you're giving me a cardiac arrest when I'm standing on the traffic lights" first Green Day lyrics I could think of 

This line annoys me so much!  Is he having a cardiac arrest AND a heart attack, a heart attack which leads to a cardiac arrest, or does Billie just not know the difference?!

21 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

This line annoys me so much!  Is he having a cardiac arrest AND a heart attack, a heart attack which leads to a cardiac arrest, or does Billie just not know the difference?!

Seems he's having both at the same time just for emphasis :P or just a really bad case of accute word salad-itis. 

50 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

Do you seriously think Billie knows there is a difference????

1 hour ago, Second favourite son said:

:lol::lol: To be honest if you asked me to explain the difference I don't think I could.

My favourite line from RevRad is probably "Hallelujah I found my soul under the sofa pillows". It captures the whole album for me and I find it both inspiring and reassuring  - you never really lose your soul, it's there the whole time.

2 hours ago, Jenn. said:

:lol::lol: To be honest if you asked me to explain the difference I don't think I could.

My favourite line from RevRad is probably "Hallelujah I found my soul under the sofa pillows". It captures the whole album for me and I find it both inspiring and reassuring  - you never really lose your soul, it's there the whole time.

Isn't it like this: heart attack - when you have a blood clot in a coronal artery and blood stops flowing into a part of your heart. Cardiac arrest - your heart stops beating. Right?

I second this, it's such a beautiful line and I love the way he sings it. 

4 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

Seems he's having both at the same time just for emphasis :P or just a really bad case of accute word salad-itis. 

I thought you said "salad-itits" for a second. Seems appropriate considering the song we're talking about "I like your BM-excellent tits"

On 11/1/2016 at 8:52 AM, End Of The World said:

"The world stops turning, paradise burning."
(Troubled Times)

Wow I thought that lyric was "The world stops turning, there it dies burning". Just listened to it and I think it's "paradise burning". It kinda sounds like both though. "Paradise burning" is actually a better lyric though

On 11/1/2016 at 8:52 AM, End Of The World said:

"I want to hold you like a gun, we'll shoot the moon into the sun."
(Youngblood)

"I feel like a cello, lost somewhere over the rainbow."
(Too Dumb to Die)

Interesting considering many people hate these 2 lines lol. Personally my favourite line from Youngblood is probably "Are you stranded, Like I'm stranded, Do you wanna watch the world fall to pieces"

5 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

I thought you said "salad-itits" for a second. Seems appropriate considering the song we're talking about "I like your BM-excellent tits"

:D

My favorite lyrics would be 

JOS- I don't care if you don't,  I don't care if you don't, I don't care if you don't care 

JOS- Am I retarted or am I just overjoyed? 

American Idiot - Maybe I'm the faggot America

Holiday- i beg to dream and differ from the hallow lies 

Scatered- reminds of the times we shared 

Burnout - I declare I don't care no more 

She- Are you locked up in a world that's been planed out for you? Are you feeling like a social tool with out any use? 

Brat - mom and dad don't look so hot these days 

theres many more, just can't think of them 

quotes would be 

Mike "WHY ARE THERE NO CLOUDS IN THE SKY!" 

Tre "CAUSE GOD WANTS TO WATCH HIS FAVORITE BAND AGAIN! 

Whatsername

And in the darkest night
If my memory serves me right
I'll never turn back time
Forgetting you, but not the time.

Outlaws

I found a knife by the railroad track

You took a train and you can't go back

Forever now, forever now you'll roam

"I read the graffiti on the bathroom wall like the holy scriptures of a shopping mall"

Im flabbergasted that this line hasn't appeared on this thread, it sums up everything American Idiot is about.

• Hermione changed the title to Your favorite Green Day lyrics and why

Archived