King For A Day

pasalaska

In celebration of the great Halloween tradition of dressing up in costumes, this week’s Song of the Week is the fabulous King for a Day off Green Day’s eclectic 5th studio album, Nimrod, released in 1997. The song has been a live favourite since its release, and has evolved into an on stage party of sorts, with the band donning ridiculously hilarious outfits for its performance.

There’s really not much to do in the way of reading into the lyrics – the song is quite clearly about a boy who likes to secretly dress up in his mother’s clothing, much to the disapproval of his father, who ends up throwing the kid in therapy. Even though his dad doesn’t like it, it makes the kid feel like a “king for a day” and a “princess by dawn”. If you want to read into the lyrics a bit, the song is all about refuting gender stereotypes – “sugar and spice and everything nice wasn’t made for only girls”; not all boys aspire to be ‘GI Joe’, unless of course that GI Joe is “in pantyhose” – despite the obvious opposition to breaking those gender roles – “who put the drag in the drag queen?”.

While King for a Day’s lyrics are brilliantly hilarious, it’s when they’re coupled with the song’s music that this song really becomes special. The ‘oompa’ style drumming with the constant up-beats coupled with the incredibly camp horn parts (and the shout-along-able chorus) are what makes this song so damn danceable, and such a live favourite. Seeing big, burly guys in the pit moshing along to this song will never, ever get old, plus it’s also one of Jason Freese’s big moments, which is a big highlight of the song for me, seeing as Jason is awesome. Finally, I love how the album version of King for a Day ends with the song breaking up and then abruptly stopping – I always imagine that the little kid in the song at that moment hears one of his parents come home, suddenly cutting the party he’s having by himself short.

Our first video this week is Green Day’s performance of King for a Day on Goat Island in Sydney, Australia on Oct 19th, 2000. The whole Goat Island show is brilliant, but this has to be the best part of the performance – just wait for the horn solos to come in. It’s fun to see how much the song has changed live.

(video credit: kerplunk69)

And keeping things in the great southern land, here’s one of the best pranks I’ve ever seen pulled at a Green Day show. This was the second show in Melbourne, on the 16th of December - the last Australian show on the 21ct Century Breakdown tour, and Jet’s final show as their support. Green Day had earlier pulled a strippers-and-animal-costume prank on Jet, so Jet returned the favour. Note the doctor checking out Billie – the show was postponed a day thanks to Billie getting food poisoning. Make sure you watch right to the end of the video.

(video credit: Crazysuperstar83)

Lyrics:

Started at the age of 4

My mother went to the grocery store

Went sneaking through her bedroom door

To find something in a size 4

Sugar and spice and everything nice wasn't made for only girls

GI Joe in pantyhose is making room the one and only

King for a day, princess by dawn

King for a day in a leather thong

Just wait 'til all the guys get a load of me

My daddy threw me in therapy

He thinks I'm not a real man

Who put the drag in the drag queen?

Don't knock it until you tried it

Just wait 'til all the guys…

Just wait 'til all the guys…

*********************************************************************************************************

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the SotW Nominations and Archive thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week in its first post.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has always been one of my favorites off of Nimrod cause its different and supeerr fun live. I always wanted it to be in the AI musical :lol: can you imagine?

This song always puts me in a good mood. One of the best from Nimrod. Aska, everytime I see a new song of the week thread, I think, another excellent choice. This was and AMAZING choice this week

You never know what to expect when this song is played live... Love it!!

Live performances of this song are always the best. Stage humping, all of the guys dressing up, Billie exposing his chest and trying to lick his nipples ( :eyebrows:), the random songs thrown in, the other guys having a chance to sing (and kicking ass at it)...it's fucking mindblowing. You never know what's going to happen. :D

Songs about transvestites with live performances involving Tre dressed as a grandmother and Jason White as Neil Armstrong are instant winners in my book.

Jason Freese as fat Elvis will forever be a winner for me.

Also, that bra Tre wears once belonged to a GDCer. She tried to get it back off him by offering to trade the one she was wearing for the one he wears, and he said sure, do it, so she took off her bra, and showed it to him, at which point he laughed and flung his bra side stage, so she was stuck without a bra for the rest of the show.

Good times.

Another One of my Favourites from Green Day, love listening to it whenever i have Nimrod playing and definitely one of my favourites live to see them all dressed up in their costumes for this song just makes its all worth it. It always gives me a good laugh.

This song is definitely one of Green Day's most awesome songs live. Just because it's such a party. I think it'll never get old, I love it! And what an amazing introduction you've written there, Aska! :happy:

Like everyone else has said, KFAD is the best live song. Coupled with Shout it's incredible. It's always been one of my favourites, both the live and studio versions. I've never been to a GD show before (*sob*) but when I do this song will be the one I look forward to most.

Great video! :D

By the way, I would have liked very much that there was a video for King for a Day :( It is in my list of "Green Day songs that I wish that they had a video"!

Forever a great song live. When watching a video of the 21stCB routine, it seems to drag on, but then I remember being at those shows and how it was great and not too long at all, it was entertaining and fun. :D

and every lyric in the chorus is just great.

Also, that bra Tre wears once belonged to a GDCer. She tried to get it back off him by offering to trade the one she was wearing for the one he wears, and he said sure, do it, so she took off her bra, and showed it to him, at which point he laughed and flung his bra side stage, so she was stuck without a bra for the rest of the show.

Good times.

Oh wow :lol: I knew the bra was from a GDCer, but I didn't know that story :lol: :lol:

One of my favorite song! The funniest song and the funniest shows that Green Day do while playing it live! Also I like this song for trumpets - it's wonderful!!! :wub: Aska, great video with bodybuilders! :P

Great song, great lyrics :creep: and absolutely great live. Definitely one of my all time favourite songs.

Hahhaha those videos were great! I know a lot of people want Green Day to stop playing KFAD live and fill that time with other songs but its so fucking funny! When I saw them live it was one of the highlights of the show and I can't imagine going to a Green Day concert and not seeing KFAD. :)

One of my favorites Green Day's song from all their albums! This song is so much fun and I like to dance like crazy while I listen to it :lol:

And the song it's really good in live.

Hahhaha those videos were great! I know a lot of people want Green Day to stop playing KFAD live and fill that time with other songs but its so fucking funny! When I saw them live it was one of the highlights of the show and I can't imagine

going to a Green Day concert and not seeing

KFAD. :)

Those people are fool. I never saw Green Day live but when/if I will see them I would be a bit disappointed if they won't sing this song.

Ohh King For a Day :lol: I remember when I was a new Green Day fan, and saw the song live on you tube. I got scared there :lol:

But seriously it one of my farvorites. It's funny, brilliant and I think it's kind of sweet too

I remember reading a reveiw for a show in Copenhagen, where the writers critized the band for this song. The wrote about that they're show was like a 15th birthday party or something =/ Also because of the hey ho's. And by looking at comments I saw lot of people seemed to agree. I guy even wrote he rather see them play the whole Nimrod album without anything else. Without saying anything

But I mean come on!! A Green Day show without King for a Day? Stop being so damn serious and have fun and dance and laugh to this song.

One of my farvorite parts of this song live, is when Tre's dancing and singing "I want you to know..." I swear I almost died at the concert in Skive :lol:

It was a lot of fun the first time I saw it live, but now I just want them to play other songs instead. :P

I'm one of the ones who love this song live. I can't imagine a Green Day show without it.

ohmygod Tre in that vid.... :dance: that's fuckin' hilarious. One of the funnier GD vids ive seen.

This used to be my Fav. Nimrod song... It'd extremely up-beat sound and sax part is great... And live, it's a whole 'nother thing.

I love king for a day it's one of those that always makes me smile =)

it's a great example of the amount of fun green day can have

Oh my gosh, that second video. :rofl: I love King for a Day, and I really hope that when I finally get to see Green Day live that they choose to play that song at the show. It's definetly one of my favorites off of Nimrod.

Archived