Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
We're having a photography contest where you guys send in a photo that describes what that time of year means to you. Only one week left to enter.

Photo

Nearly 50 exotic amimals shot and killed in Ohio

News

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit
  • "ben's actually a giant teddy bear" -Lone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,809 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,659 rep

I don't get it, why he killed those animals? http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/...

He released a bunch of potentially deadly animals into a small town, then shot himself. The local authorities had no choice but to kill them all to prevent anyone else being hurt or killed.

Why did the guy release them? Well, I'd say it's pretty clear that he was fucked in the head.

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• 18,570 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 5,209 rep

I don't think it was necessary to kill all the animals. Not only that, Bengal Tigers are on their way to extinction, and they've now effectively terminated 18 of them. I'm not saying it's the exact same, but when wild Moose (which actually are a threat and dangerous) or Polar Bears/black bears/any kind of bears really wander into towns, precautions are taken and killing them is the final last-ditch effort. This seems like it was just a no-brainer and they killed the majority of them off without coming up with a better plan.

The problem isn't that the deputies killed the tigers that were unsafe to be roaming around loose, the problem is that our laws allowed him to have them.

56 exotic animals, many of them extremely dangerous, are released into a town in Middle of Nowheresville, Ohio. Your options are to wait for the nearest zoo to send someone with a load of tranquilizer darts and trank guns (because I doubt Middle of Nowheresville keeps such equipment on hand) and try to subdue them one by one, or put the welfare of your town ahead of the welfare of a bunch of animals that had no business being there in the first place. From an environmentalist perspective, it's a shame all those animals had to die, especially the rare and endangered ones, but from a "not getting people mauled by a fucking grizzly bear" standpoint, there was really only one way to proceed.

Put it this way: how would any of you have answered to the parents of a child mauled or killed by a bear, lion, tiger, leopard, wolf or cougar because police were waiting for the tranks to arrive?

Well said. Zanesville is an area that is both too big to have all of these animals roaming around, but too small to be able to tranq them all, and tranqs don't take effect immediately. In fact, they angered many of the animals they used them on ... how is that safe? I don't think these deputies went in there with a "kill 'em all" mentality - in fact, from what I've seen, they were pretty distraught over it. Could they have saved some of them? Maybe. But these were sick, abused animals, and hindsight is 20/20. I can't help but feel like if they did save them, they would not be rehabilitated appropriately, or if they went to a zoo or something, they'd sicken or even kill other animals. Then, the question would be, "Why weren't they put out of their misery?" Can't win for losing.

Yeah, let's all feel sorry for a guy that kept a ton of animals locked up, then released them all knowing they could cause significant harm or even death to innocent people around him.

Yes, it's sad that a man is dead. But the fact that he put animals and many other people in harms way doesn't leave me feeling much sympathy for him.

Yeah, I feel bad that this man was driven to suicide, but that doesn't mean he was in the right for capturing, abusing and releasing these animals.

mallorymaloney

mallorymaloney
  • I'm wearing my heart on a noose.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2006
  • 445 rep
Oh. Welp, guess I'm the odd one out, opinion wise ... As usual! :pardon:

Boston

Boston
  • Resident Coochie Lover

• 12,356 posts
  • Joined Jun 26, 2006
  • 962 rep
This is something the authorities had to do. They had to act quickly to protect the other citizens. If anything, be angry at their owner who released them into the streets - however, he clearly had some serious problems so as to think that was appropriate, so do cut him a little slack. It was really just an unfortunate situation.

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 27,885 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 10,583 rep

Oh. Welp, guess I'm the odd one out, opinion wise ... As usual! http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/...

He kept those animals in horrible conditions. Even if he hadn't let them out knowing they could kill people and would probably be killed themselves, which his mental state at the time can explain although it isn't an excuse, he was already mistreating those animals for years. How you can feel more sorry for the man who chose to do these things to himself and those animals than the animals who had no choice in the matter I don't know.
  • Tre's Busted Drumkit and Radithor like this

Boston

Boston
  • Resident Coochie Lover

• 12,356 posts
  • Joined Jun 26, 2006
  • 962 rep
People can have sympathy for him on the side that he was clearly disturbed enough to abuse the animals and commit suicide in the first place, but its also natural to feel anger and resentment toward his actions toward the animals and the citizens of the county he released them into. Like I said, its an unfortunate and emotional situation. There are several layers, and I don't think anyone's opinions are either right, wrong, or overly controversial.

Being a Psych major really teaches you that you have to flip to the other side of the coin.
  • fiercecircus likes this

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 27,885 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 10,583 rep

People can have sympathy for him on the side that he was clearly disturbed enough to abuse the animals and commit suicide in the first place, but its also natural to feel anger and resentment toward his actions toward the animals and the citizens of the county he released them into. Like I said, its an unfortunate and emotional situation. There are several layers, and I don't think anyone's opinions are either right, wrong, or overly controversial.

Being a Psych major really teaches you that you have to flip to the other side of the coin.

Yeah, I can understand having some sympathy for him since he clearly had some serious problems with his mind. Having more sympathy for him is the part I don't get.

fiercecircus

fiercecircus
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts
  • Joined Aug 21, 2011
  • 527 rep
i am sympathetic to him only because he must have been in a lot of emotional pain and stress to be pushed to the point of suicide. When you are at that point, when you want to take your own life... that is something totally out of your control. That is an illness, a true sickness. I have never been quite that far myself but i have been close to that and let me tell you- being in that sort of place mentally is not fun. It's fucking torture. It's horrible.

However he is an asshole for keeping those animals.

(like most things in life, i go both ways :) )

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him
  • darling i'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream

• 13,982 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,752 rep
My first question is how was this dude allowed to be keeping a collection of endangered bengal tigers?

My second question is why the fuck were they allowed to shoot a collection of endangered bengal tigers?

Just not gonna get into how I feel about it all, really.

captainperoxide

captainperoxide
  • Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken.

• 15,853 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,559 rep

My first question is how was this dude allowed to be keeping a collection of endangered bengal tigers?

He wasn't.

My second question is why the fuck were they allowed to shoot a collection of endangered bengal tigers?

They were released into a small town with no availability of proper tranquilizers to subdue them. It was either kill them, or have people be attacked.

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him

• 13,982 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,752 rep
Fair enough. Obviously he wasn't allowed to have them, but how did he.. get them into the country? where did they come from? how did they not notice or care?!

blah.

captainperoxide

captainperoxide

• 15,853 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,559 rep
There's plenty of resources to acquire pretty much anything illegally. Animals are probably no different, I'm sure there are black markets for endangered species. I agree that it fucking sucks they were killed, but I really don't see what else the cops could've done. Small town, tiny police force, a shitton of dangerous (and probably hungry) animals roaming around. If I had to choose, I'd have shot them too.

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit

• 8,809 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,659 rep

Fair enough. Obviously he wasn't allowed to have them, but how did he.. get them into the country? where did they come from? how did they not notice or care?!

Technically, having them was not illegal. Ohio's one of those backward-ass states that never bothered to make a law against having animals with a history of eating people in your backyard.

There really wasn't much they could do to take them away, being that having them was legal in the first place. Hopefully, pictures of the dead animals are all over the news there right now, and state legislators are finally drafting that law they should have a long time ago. One of the things that usually holds the anti-exotic laws up, oddly enough, is defining what animals are "exotic". In Georgia, it's against the law to have a degu/sugar glider, but it's legal in surrounding states.

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him

• 13,982 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,752 rep
Okay so I care more about animals than people/ethics/politics and have now made myself look like a dumbass :lol:

Can't help it, it's what I'm in school for.

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit

• 8,809 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,659 rep

Okay so I care more about animals than people/ethics/politics and have now made myself look like a dumbass http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/...

I wouldn't say that. I'm pretty sure all but one poster in this thread care far more for the animals than they do the guy who got them all killed.

Advertising

captainperoxide

captainperoxide

• 15,853 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,559 rep
I just don't think anyone should be able to own any endangered species, period. That'd be a start, at least.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: News

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users