Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
We're having a photography contest where you guys send in a photo that describes what that time of year means to you. Only one week left to enter.

Photo

Nearly 50 exotic amimals shot and killed in Ohio

News

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

ChuckTaylors

ChuckTaylors
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts
  • Joined Jun 24, 2010
  • 1,342 rep
I understand why they killed them but I do not understand why they couldn't have tranqualized the animals. =/ http://www.usatoday....ohio/50821092/1

Anko

Anko
  • Best Thing In Town

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,487 posts
  • Joined Aug 29, 2006
  • 16 rep
Me either, and I don't know why the guy released them in the first place then killed himself......It's really fucking bullshit that they did that though.

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 27,878 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 10,570 rep
It's a shame they couldn't have used a tranquilizer gun instead, or at least tried that first. Maybe with the sheer number of dangerous animals they just didn't think they could take the risk of a dart not working (since sometimes they hit the wrong part of the body or more than one is needed) =/

The question is why was this man allowed to have all these animals in the first place? Sounds like the laws on keeping exotic animals are far too lax and need sorting out. Proper, civilized laws to help protect both animals and people could have prevented this.

oda

oda
  • bitch tits

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts
  • Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • 1,410 rep
How the hell can somebody be allowed to own 50 exotic animals? They are not like cats and dogs, you can't have them as pets.

Laura Rose

Laura Rose
  • Insert something clever here...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,410 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2009
  • 837 rep
I heard about this yesterday. I can't believe they shot those animals, I wish they would have used a less fatal way of capturing them.
I hear that now Ohio is working on a law which bans the ownership of exotic animals.

in_your_face

in_your_face
  • jesse pinkman, biatch!

• 4,331 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2010
  • 158 rep
Leonardo DiCaprio should know about this.
  • tigress likes this

Jacob.

Jacob.
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,120 posts
  • Joined Jul 11, 2009
  • 355 rep
There wasn't a thread about this already?

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit
  • "ben's actually a giant teddy bear" -Lone

• 8,809 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,659 rep
50 wild animals on the loose, several of them potential man-eaters. In a situation where expediency is needed, putting them down is the only call. Keep in mind that human weren't the only things threatened here--if a mating pair of wolves had gotten away, bad times would've been had by all in that ecosystem.

If a clean shot is taken, a bullet is one of the most humane ways to put down an animal. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that a bunch of deputies armed with handguns who were probably scared shitless were able to take down a lion on the first shot, but considering the immediate danger to people in the area, and the fact that this guy cut the cages so they couldn't be tranked and recaptured, I can't say I would've called for a different course of action.

oscar is a nimrod

oscar is a nimrod
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Joined Jun 28, 2010
  • 36 rep
This whole story is so sad in every respect. Exotic animals should never be kept as pets!
What a waste of life and rarity. :(
I hope the country learns from this and stops something similar happening ever again.

Disapperingirl

Disapperingirl
  • Peacemaker

• 5,231 posts
  • Joined Apr 17, 2011
  • 2,596 rep
This whole story reminded me of Madagascar cartoon movie - exotic animals running away from a zoo and roaming the streets free - but at least that story finished in the right way, the animals were tranquillized, and then moved to another zoo.
And that's the fantasy.
Now, I can understand that potential aggressive animals have to be seized as soon as possible for the human (and not only) safety, but couldn't they think that Bengal tigers are threatened with extinction, there are only 1800 specimen all over the world and wwf is working to save them, before shooting? and that it wasn't necessary to kill animals, that ran away because of their owner??
Obviously no.
Cartoons are more fair than reality... :ermm:

Jaymee!!

Jaymee!!
  • LL Cool Tré

• 19,024 posts
  • Joined Feb 19, 2007
  • 3,669 rep
I don't think it was necessary to kill all the animals. Not only that, Bengal Tigers are on their way to extinction, and they've now effectively terminated 18 of them. I'm not saying it's the exact same, but when wild Moose (which actually are a threat and dangerous) or Polar Bears/black bears/any kind of bears really wander into towns, precautions are taken and killing them is the final last-ditch effort. This seems like it was just a no-brainer and they killed the majority of them off without coming up with a better plan.
  • Hayley and Disapperingirl like this

Mary711

Mary711
  • Living for the next show

• 8,501 posts
  • Joined Jun 30, 2010
  • 2,369 rep
I don't know why they needed to be dead immediately. Wouldn't an anesthesia or something would have been enough to bring them to a safe place?

madddie

madddie
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • Joined Nov 29, 2009
  • 58 rep
This is retarded :(

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit

• 8,809 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,659 rep
56 exotic animals, many of them extremely dangerous, are released into a town in Middle of Nowheresville, Ohio. Your options are to wait for the nearest zoo to send someone with a load of tranquilizer darts and trank guns (because I doubt Middle of Nowheresville keeps such equipment on hand) and try to subdue them one by one, or put the welfare of your town ahead of the welfare of a bunch of animals that had no business being there in the first place. From an environmentalist perspective, it's a shame all those animals had to die, especially the rare and endangered ones, but from a "not getting people mauled by a fucking grizzly bear" standpoint, there was really only one way to proceed.

Put it this way: how would any of you have answered to the parents of a child mauled or killed by a bear, lion, tiger, leopard, wolf or cougar because police were waiting for the tranks to arrive?

chewychorizo

chewychorizo
  • cutie

• 13,737 posts
  • Joined Aug 24, 2008
  • 3,376 rep
Hnnng. Such a waste. All these beautiful animals did not need to die if they weren't kept the way they were.

Advertising

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,648 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,914 rep
I agree, they had to be put down. It's not like having a wild bear or moose, because the difference between one and 56 is, well, 55. Towns in the middle of nowhere don't have tranquilizer darts on hand. Where would the nearest supplies for knocking our large animals be? Cleveland, Cincinnati, at a zoo in a big city probably, if even. Even if they could be knocked out, where are they going to be put?

If police found the man's animal reserve and then put down all the animals still in their cages I'd have a problem with that for sure, but this is way different. The real problem was that this man was able to acquire all these animals in the first place.

pasalaska

pasalaska
  • Dearly Beloved

• 7,721 posts
  • Joined May 01, 2006
  • 2,961 rep
It was the middle of the night, and a lot of the animals were potentially lethal to residents. It's an absolute tragedy that the animals had to be killed (especially the tigers), but the police did the right thing in protecting the local people.
All the blame should be laid on the owner of the animals. What he did was incredibly wrong. I know he committed suicide after releasing them (I'm assuming he had this all planned), but he could have just called someone and killed himself without letting them all out.
I just hope that they collected and froze some tiger gametes or something...

norcalgreendayfan

norcalgreendayfan
  • SAN JOSE BITCHES

• 14,663 posts
  • Joined Apr 29, 2009
  • 438 rep
It is an unfortunate situation all around. As far as I know Columbus was the closest city with a zoo and a capabilities to handle such animals and even then it was to long to wait for them to handle to animals non leathally and with the public safety at risk putting the animals down was the only thing that can be done unfortunately.

Kristen M

Kristen M
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Joined Apr 02, 2011
  • 47 rep
So unfortunate and just awful.. However I agree it was probably necessary to shoot them :(

spark in the night

spark in the night
  • ◊∴◊ 400⋅LUX ◊∴◊

• 29,919 posts
  • Joined Jul 15, 2005
  • 3,022 rep
what a crazy mo'fo

those poor animals :(

and breesus christ how did he get away with having 50 wild animals!?

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit

• 8,809 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,659 rep

and breesus christ how did he get away with having 50 wild animals!?

Because there are some stupid-ass states in this country that never got around to making it illegal to have lions, tigers and bears in your fucking backyard.

mallorymaloney

mallorymaloney
  • I'm wearing my heart on a noose.

• 3,518 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2006
  • 445 rep
Why hasn't anyone become saddened over the tragedy that was the man's death ...?

I understand the sadness and anger over the fact that the animals were killed, but shouldn't the death --- No, the suicide --- Of a fellow human being be of more importance? Or at least the same level of importance ...

Geez, guys.

Fuzz

Fuzz
  • Professional Cocksmith

• 38,857 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2004
  • 16,309 rep

POPULAR

Why hasn't anyone become saddened over the tragedy that was the man's death ...?

I understand the sadness and anger over the fact that the animals were killed, but shouldn't the death --- No, the suicide --- Of a fellow human being be of more importance? Or at least the same level of importance ...

Geez, guys.

Yeah, let's all feel sorry for a guy that kept a ton of animals locked up, then released them all knowing they could cause significant harm or even death to innocent people around him.

Yes, it's sad that a man is dead. But the fact that he put animals and many other people in harms way doesn't leave me feeling much sympathy for him.
  • Hayley, Trotsky, captainperoxide and 7 others like this

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit

• 8,809 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,659 rep

Um, because he kept a shit-ton of dangerous animals locked in his backyard, had numerous run-ins with the law, and ultimately rigged it so that those animals would have the opportunity to eat small children after he capped himself.

Forgive me if I have a hard time shedding tears on this one.
  • captainperoxide and Batgirl like this

captainperoxide

captainperoxide
  • Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken.

• 15,853 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,558 rep

lions, tigers and bears

Oh my.

And yeah, Mallory, having a real hard time feeling bad about this guy. I feel worse for his wife, although she was also complicit in all this.
  • Radithor and Ashley! like this

Radithor

Radithor
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • Joined Jul 26, 2010
  • 292 rep

Even if his suicide is on the same level of importance as the death of one animal, 50 men would have needed to die to be on the same level as the animals in this situation. Only one man did. One man who kept these animals cooped up for years. He should have just taken them to the fucking zoo. I feel no sympathy for this man what-so-ever. What's more saddeing than the loss of one life is the loss of near-50 lives. Now, his wife. She's the real victim in all this, as are those poor creatures. What a useless waste of life caused by an uncaring human being.
  • tigress, captainperoxide and Disapperingirl like this

fiercecircus

fiercecircus
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts
  • Joined Aug 21, 2011
  • 527 rep
they did try to tranq some of the animals- but the cats went ballistic when they shot them with tranquilizer darts so they had to shoot them on site. Tranquilizers take a few minutes to take effect, and if the animal is charging humans in the meantime what choice do you have?

The bottom line is wild animals are wild for a reason. Wild animals are not pets. They should never be kept as pets. If they are orphaned, injured, unable to be released into the wild- then Zoos or Sancutaries are the appropriate place for them. Not in some dudes back yard.

it is a shame they had to kill these animals but people's lives were in danger. Bottom line. I feel terrible for the animals as they NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN KEPT IN THAT WAY IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! Asshole. He probably bought them on the black market, or had them smuggled in illegally or some shit and i have NO MERCY for him in that respect. Leave wild animals in the WILD!

this is similar to that Chimpanzee attack in CT a few years ago. The one where it ripped off that lady's face and she had to be totally reconstructed (she was on oprah. i think she has since died.) It was not that far from where i live and i was working in the veterinary field at the time and as it turns out PEOPLE HAD BEEN TRYING TO GET HER ANIMALS TAKEN AWAY FOR YEARS! The local zoo (beardsley zoo) was all over it, trying to rehome that chimp, insisting it was a danger to society... AND NOTHING GOT DONE UNTIL IT FREAKING DESTROYED SOME LADY'S LIFE, PERMANENTLY. It is a total shame. That chimp should have been in a sanctuary, living with other chimps, climbing in trees, etc. NOT BEING DIAPERED AND DRESSED IN KIDS CLOTHES BY SOME RICH LADY IN STAMFORD!!!!!

Please people, everyone loves the cute fuzzy animals, but stick to those that are already domesticated, k?

*off soapbox.*
  • Batgirl likes this

pasalaska

pasalaska
  • Dearly Beloved

• 7,721 posts
  • Joined May 01, 2006
  • 2,961 rep
Mallory, the man CHOSE to kill himself, the animals didn't. Simple as that. This is why I have no sympathy for him.

:rolleyes:
  • tigress, tapdancingowl, Tre's Busted Drumkit and 1 other like this

Penguin Puffball

Penguin Puffball
  • Mary Poopins

• 20,385 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 3,844 rep
This is awful :( poor animals.

bat-chen

bat-chen