Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Posted Image  New "F**K Cancer" shirt. 100% of profits are going to breast cancer charity. Check them out.

Photo

Dale Farm -- Should they be allowed to stay?

News Debate

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,286 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 2,841 rep
On the news in Britain, they're showing a lot of coverage of the residents of Dale Farm being evicted. They're illegal settlers and there are I don't know how many hundred people that have been living there since the 1960s. Now as they're trying to go through with the eviction, under orders from the local council, there's been a lot of discontent and violent unrest.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/dale-farm

My question is, do you think they should be allowed to stay in the place they've been living for for generations?

3's

3's
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • Joined Feb 12, 2010
  • 278 rep
If they have been there for so long and not bothered any one or caused no trouble for 40 years, I don't see the problem.

Guest_Charlotte._*

Guest_Charlotte._*
  • Joined --
  • 0 rep
The main thing that I don't understand is why the council have allowed this to go on for so many years; why has it taken 10+ years for this to reach such a violent climax? Surely something else could have been done to sort it all out way before now?

If they have been there for so long and not bothered any one or caused no trouble for 40 years, I don't see the problem.

Half of it is built on green belt land, which is against the law.

Tre_Gina

Tre_Gina
  • Jesus of Suburbia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts
  • Joined Jun 07, 2009
  • 203 rep
To start with I felt sorry for them but now I think they should go as they don't have planning permission, people have to go through such rigourous procedures just to get a shed built so why should they be exempt?
It has gone on too long though.

chickin'pickin'

chickin'pickin'
  • (White man) In Hammersmith Palais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,214 posts
  • Joined Oct 19, 2006
  • 322 rep
No, they're not paying taxes, and they're generally seen as a nuisance for a reason. So fuck 'em.

Alan86

Alan86
  • It's Ok, Im a Limo Driver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Joined Nov 16, 2005
  • 1,947 rep
If they are there illegally get them the fuck out, they didn't pay for that land. No one else gets land for free, so why should they. I have no sympathy for them. Oh and their tactics for trying to stay where they are have been disgusting. I mean, throwing bottles of piss at the Police is hardly going to gain them any supporters.

Slappy.

Slappy.
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Joined Oct 21, 2009
  • 51 rep
I just seen this on the news actually, my opinion is divided on this really...on one hand is the fact like someone pointed out they've been living there for so long and not caused any trouble, it seems like a hell of a lot of upheaval. But then on the other side, if they let them get away with having 'free land' then it's gonna piss off a lot (well it already has) of people, and sends out messages that it's okay to do so. Overall it can't be one rule for them and a different rule for everyone else so I'd have to say no they shouldn't be allowed to stay.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: News, Debate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users