Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Dark humor, is it funny?

Debate

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

chewychorizo

chewychorizo
  • cutie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,072 posts
  • Joined Aug 24, 2008
  • 2,808 rep
I love dark humour. People are way too fucking sensitive nowadays. Just because I make a joke saying how much I love Hitler, doesn't mean I supported the Holocaust or any Nazi regimes, give me a fucking break. It's a joke, and that's all it is.

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,259 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,322 rep

I love dark humour. People are way too fucking sensitive nowadays. Just because I make a joke saying how much I love Hitler, doesn't mean I supported the Holocaust or any Nazi regimes, give me a fucking break. It's a joke, and that's all it is.

I find "Hipster Hitler" to be pretty funny except for the stupid and awkward German-English puns.

Floyd Pinkerton

Floyd Pinkerton
  • Head of Tom's legal council

• 18,621 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 2,713 rep
I used to have a fish named Hitler.

Fuzz

Fuzz
  • Professional Cocksmith

• 38,578 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2004
  • 15,846 rep
Yes, everything can be funny with the right comedian. Ricky Gervais and Louis CK are two of my favorite comedians, and they joke about things that most people wouldn't enjoy. But the fact that they're comedians, and damn good at it, they can make you laugh at any situtation. it's about knowing how to tell a joke, and where the offense is. For example, rape in of itself is not funny, nor is it funny to joke about a rape victim, but, you can tell a joke about it and still make people laugh if you understand comedy.

Most people who make dark jokes, don't understand what they're doing, or get laughs just by being offensive and that is the comedy. That can work, but there are people who can actually construct a joke for the right reasons and make it work for the right reasons

• Hermione likes this

Dylan.

Dylan.
  • And Don't You Fucking Wear It Out

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,844 posts
  • Joined Sep 08, 2007
  • 574 rep
Oh Louis C.K. :D

There is no going wrong with him.

Karen.

Karen.
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts
  • Joined Apr 25, 2010
  • 375 rep

Joking about rape isn't okay

I agree.

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• 14,369 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 2,881 rep
Yeah, that's true, it being humorous is another thing. Like how Andres said you need the right person to pull it off.

Because if you make a 'dark' joke, and it is not at all funny, then for all intents and purposes you have just simply said something very offensive.

captain peroxide

captain peroxide
  • Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken.

• 15,800 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,448 rep

I think you need a really weak minded individual to not make a distinction between the use of the raped in casual situations and in serious ones. there is a reason for context and it doesn't take much to judge what is and isn't in context

Dead Baby jokes are fucking brilliant I think, and no way do I think they contribute to violence against infants.

I wish you posted like this more often.

Dr. Queen Schultz

Dr. Queen Schultz
  • Hakuna Matata, bitches!

• 16,370 posts
  • Joined Jul 27, 2008
  • 4,465 rep
I like dark humor...I can't really tell where the limits are though in my opinon..it depends on how you tell a joke I suppose...which words you use. There are some things that I wouldn't necessarily call "funny" but it's not like I would ever overreact over anything like that.

Most of all I hate it when people (and I've been told before) especially tell ME to shut up when I make a Hitler joke (which I do sometimes, my gosh yes.) ... Why?
Because I am German, that's why.
I seriously heard before by someone that I'm "not allowed" to laugh at jokes about the holocaust since my nation, of course, caused it, so it makes me a bad person to laugh at something like that. Bullshit in my opnion.
Laughing at dark humor (especially holocuast or whatever jokes) doesn't make you a worse person. That I laugh at those jokes doesn't mean, that I support Nazis or shit like that in any way, neither does it mean that I think it''s funny what happened. But to deal with bad moments/memories/eras you just HAVE to joke about them to forget them/get along with them somehow.

Making jokes about such topics just is a way to make things less sad and I know quite a few jews who would also laugh at a Hitler joke, since a) it's been quite a while now since don't ya think? and b) the man just IS fucking ridiculous so what else to do than laugh about him... he's dead .. he won't come back and harm anyone anymore.
I hope I got my point across somehow.

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• 14,369 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 2,881 rep

he's the community idiot, it's not allowed
  • Tre's Busted Drumkit likes this

bollard_11

bollard_11
  • Disposable Hero

• 8,984 posts
  • Joined Apr 17, 2009
  • 2,864 rep
You bet your dead baby in a blender they are funny. But be a good little woman and get back in the kitchen. Woo sexism

Examples of dark humour to follow:
My girlfriend dumped me saying I don't live up to her black ex-boyfriend.
"When you can do what a black man can do, get back in touch," she laughed.
So after three months of trying, I've sent her a video of me peeling a banana with my feet.

I await her apology...
  • Radithor likes this

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit
  • "ben's actually a giant teddy bear" -Lone

• 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,646 rep

The world has changed. 40 years ago, people didn't make fun of the President

Dylan, go and check out political cartoons from the 1800's and early 1900's. Those things were vicious at times.

John, that is what frustrates me though. The idea that religion is off limits has always infuriated me. They aren't living in religion against their will. THEY are purporting these fantastic claims. Why is it our obligation to not joke about religion? More importantly, why is drawing a picture of a dead Muslim off limits?

Because they'll strap a bomb to themselves and walk into your living room?

Tasteless joke number one.

A lot of it is your audience. Like I said, one would not walk into a Jewish convention and make jokes about the room being hotter than an oven. It would probably also be a very bad idea to cater an Islamic mosque's monthly dinner party and serve suckling pig and fries made in bacon grease. If your joke hurts a reasonable person, you've done it wrong. If your joke is intended to hurt someone, you're a fucking cunt.

Dead Baby jokes are fucking brilliant I think, and no way do I think they contribute to violence against infants.

My thoughts on this comment are as follows:

How many dead babies does it take to screw in a light bulb?
As many as you need to pile up to reach the socket.
  • Hermione likes this

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• 14,369 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 2,881 rep

You bet your dead baby in a blender they are funny. But be a good little woman and get back in the kitchen. Woo sexism

Examples of dark humour to follow:
My girlfriend dumped me saying I don't live up to her black ex-boyfriend.
"When you can do what a black man can do, get back in touch," she laughed.
So after three months of trying, I've sent her a video of me peeling a banana with my feet.

I await her apology...

chuckles. now to my point, someone who is unfunny could have just said:

black people are stupid monkeys that eat bananas all day. hah!

and that would just warrant someone punching them in the fucking face because they deserve it. so I guess what I mean to say is, leave the jokes to the funny people, especially if they're rude.

bollard_11

bollard_11
  • Disposable Hero

• 8,984 posts
  • Joined Apr 17, 2009
  • 2,864 rep

chuckles. now to my point, someone who is unfunny could have just said:

black people are stupid monkeys that eat bananas all day. hah!

and that would just warrant someone punching them in the fucking face because they deserve it. so I guess what I mean to say is, leave the jokes to the funny people, especially if they're rude.

Well in fairness it was the first joke that came to mind as someone had told me it lately. I was not picking on black people, Id quite easily laugh at jokes about other races, as I said it was literally the first thing that came to mind

How many dead babies does it take to screw in a light bulb?
As many as you need to pile up to reach the socket.

How many turns in a microwave does it take a dead baby to boil?

I don't count when I masturbate

fukingcounterstrike

fukingcounterstrike
  • legally retarded

• 10,124 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2007
  • 4,075 rep

guess I just don't find as many opportunities :/

and on the subject of dead baby jokes, whats the difference between a dead baby and a table?

you can't fuck a table.
  • captain peroxide and Dylan. like this

Advertising

Radithor

Radithor
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • Joined Jul 26, 2010
  • 292 rep
I love dark humour. However, just like all humour, it must be well-constructed to be funny. Usual poorly-constructed jokes are just bad and unfunny. Poorly constructed dark jokes usually just become offencive, rather than hard-hitting with a strong sence of humour behind it. (The way it should be.) Personally, while I love this form of humour, I don't find myself using it much. However, that's just because I'm bad at making jokes in the first place. I think the furtherst I've ever gone was 9/11, when I pointed out how lovely it was to see people showing their support for France when red white and blue was painted everywhere. I love 9/11 jokes. I love rape jokes. I love dead baby jokes. But just like every other joke, they have to be done right to be funny. The way I see it, nothing is off-limits when it comes to humour. But when it's done wrong and is simply offencive without being thought out or intelligant, that's where it just diminishes back to being a bad joke.

pasalaska

pasalaska
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,721 posts
  • Joined May 01, 2006
  • 2,961 rep
dead baby jokes?

What's the difference between a porsche and a dead baby covered in cigarette burns?
I don't have a porsche in my garage.

captain peroxide

captain peroxide
  • Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken.

• 15,800 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,448 rep

dead baby jokes?

What's the difference between a porsche and a dead baby covered in cigarette burns?
I don't have a porsche in my garage.

What's stiff and makes women scream at night?
Crib death.

greendaytone

greendaytone
  • Peacemaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,121 posts
  • Joined Dec 30, 2005
  • 1,141 rep
Like my brother says, never let someone's feelings get in the way of a good joke!

Although saying that, at one of his work meetings, they were doing a round the table introduction. One of the people said their name was 'hamachu' and my brother had to hold back the urge to say "bless you" :lol:

Nobody Likes Cam

Nobody Likes Cam
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Joined Jun 29, 2011
  • 269 rep
  • Location:Somewhere between Venus and Uranus (aka Massachusetts)
I really don't find dark humor funny because it can hurt people's feelings and lots of people don't take jokes about things like religions, tragic events, races, etc like a joke.

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit
  • "ben's actually a giant teddy bear" -Lone

• 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,646 rep

I really don't find dark humor funny because it can hurt people's feelings and lots of people don't take jokes about things like religions, tragic events, races, etc like a joke.

A lot of people need to lighten up. If the comment was made with the intention of hurting people, that's one thing. If someone goes to see Lewis Black and gets offended when he calls out everyone in Washington for being an asshole, then they need to open ass, remove stick.
  • Emilie. likes this

Malleus

Malleus
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts
  • Joined Jan 30, 2010
  • 1,515 rep
I am one of those people who believe either everything is funny or nothing is, so I love dark humor. I think it's essential in our dealing with situations to not frame them up and worship them out of fear or something. Trying to hurt someone is a different story, but we should all know how to take a joke.
  • Nobody Likes Cam likes this

Nyla

Nyla
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Joined Aug 12, 2011
  • 391 rep
I'm black and I make racist jokes all the time. I think they're hilarious. My friends do too.
I'm not offended by them at all.
And overall, dark humor is humor, it's meant to be funny. If someone is taking it to heart and getting offended by it, they need to mellow out.
Because it is just humor after all. Unless someone sincerely meant it and not as a joke, then I could see why some people might get offended..

Edited by min0rity, 12 October 2011 - 09:38 PM.

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,259 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,322 rep

POPULAR

I'm black and I make racist jokes all the time. I think they're hilarious. My friends do too.
I'm not offended by them at all.
And overall, dark humor is humor, it's meant to be funny. If someone is taking it to heart and getting offended by it, they need to mellow out.
Because it is just humor after all. Unless someone sincerely meant it and not as a joke, then I could see why some people might get offended..

That reminds me of this:

Dear white fella
Couple things you should know
When I born, I black
When I grow up, I black
When I go in sun, I black
When I cold, I black
When I scared, I black
When I sick, I black
And when I die, I still black.

You white fella
When you born, you pink
When you grow up, you white
When you go in sun, you red
When you cold, you blue
When you scared, you yellow
When you sick, you green
And when you die, you grey.
And you have the cheek to call me colored?????
  • greendaytone, bat-chen, captain peroxide and 5 others like this

Floyd Pinkerton

Floyd Pinkerton
  • Head of Tom's legal council

• 18,621 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 2,713 rep
That is full of so much win.

oda

oda
  • bitch tits

• 4,046 posts
  • Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • 1,394 rep
Still not laughing. But i'm not offended either. I just don't find stuff like that funny cause it's not my kind of humor.

bat-chen

bat-chen
  • Best Thing In Town

• 16,885 posts
  • Joined Mar 02, 2006
  • 4,060 rep

That reminds me of this:

Dear white fella
Couple things you should know
When I born, I black
When I grow up, I black
When I go in sun, I black
When I cold, I black
When I scared, I black
When I sick, I black
And when I die, I still black.

You white fella
When you born, you pink
When you grow up, you white
When you go in sun, you red
When you cold, you blue
When you scared, you yellow
When you sick, you green
And when you die, you grey.
And you have the cheek to call me colored?????

Hahaahaha!! Nice :dance:

I know many black people and they whole very open minded with black jokes.

A joke my friend told me:
A black guy drinking milk... drinking, drinking, drinking.... then a very drunk person passed the black the guy, thinking to himself: "Naaa! that will never happen!"
:lol:

Lindsay

Lindsay
  • Tittysprinkles

• 5,936 posts
  • Joined Mar 08, 2010
  • 3,945 rep
I find dark humour funny, but I think it depends on the persons perspective. If they're someone who lost someone in the 9/11 attacks, of course they're going to take a 9/11 joke more to heart than someone whose grandfather died in the holocaust would. Whenever I make dark humour jokes, I usually only do it around certain people, because some of my friends get really offended by that stuff, even though it hasn't really affected them in any way. :ermm:

bollard_11

bollard_11
  • Disposable Hero

• 8,984 posts
  • Joined Apr 17, 2009
  • 2,864 rep

POPULAR

What's black and sleeps with my daughter?
Nothing, because I'm a good father.

Like my brother says, never let someone's feelings get in the way of a good joke!

Although saying that, at one of his work meetings, they were doing a round the table introduction. One of the people said their name was 'hamachu' and my brother had to hold back the urge to say "bless you" http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/...

Heres one for you Tony, not dark but a good joke nonetheless:

I was clearing out my late German Grandfather's closet and decided to give all his old clothes to the local charity shop.
I handed over the bag of clothes to the shop assistant who was rummaging through it when a horrified expression formed on her face.
"How dare you bring this uniform in to my shop" she exclaimed angrily. "This is a symbol of pain, shame and humiliation."
Hugely embarrassed at this turn of events, I quickly took back the bag.
"I'm truly sorry" I said. "I had no idea he was an Arsenal fan."
  • greendaytone, captain peroxide, Hermione and 3 others like this

greendaytone

greendaytone
  • Peacemaker

• 4,121 posts
  • Joined Dec 30, 2005
  • 1,141 rep
^Ha! The cheek of it!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Debate

0 user(s) are reading this topic