Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
The results of the Bobo Awards are now available here! Didn't get to vote? Go support our boys by voting for them here. I know we can beat Paramore this time.

Photo

Dark humor, is it funny?

Debate

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

lastnightonGDA

lastnightonGDA
  • splosher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,117 posts
  • Joined Jun 16, 2010
  • 991 rep
So as I browse through the funny pictures thread I sometimes see pictures posted which cause a bit of controversy throughout the crowd. Sometimes they're about the holocaust, 9/11, blacks, jews, gays etc etc etc. So, where do you draw the line? And why? Are there certain topics that should just be off limits or should people just loosen up and learn to have laugh?

Discuss.

captain peroxide

captain peroxide
  • Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,813 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,463 rep
I firmly believe nothing should be off-limits when it comes to humor. However, there can still be such a thing as tastelessness, not to mention the fact that at LEAST half the shit in that thread isn't even funny. If you're gonna tell a joke about 9/11, it damn well better be funny, or what's the point?
  • fukingcounterstrike likes this

Brigister

Brigister
  • I'm a mess and you're a work of art

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,541 posts
  • Joined Aug 30, 2011
  • 1,192 rep
I think that black humor is good only if it's not made only for the sake of making "transgressively" tacky jokes. Black humor is made to make you ponder about this kind of things. Take for example Bill Hicks, or George Carlin. They are (/were) great black humorists, because they did it with the purpose of make you think about these topics.
  • Velocity and melissawebster like this

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,337 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,525 rep
It really depends on your company more than anything. There are certain friends I have who I know will laugh at literally anything, and there are other people I might be with who I would watch what I say around.

On the internet, in 9/10 cases, the person who is offended should shut up and be given their "Welcome to the internet" banner. But there are some times where someone is just being an asshole and their "joke" is clearly not funny and just meant to piss people off.

In my experience though, most humorous takes on sensitive topics like the Holocaust and 9/11 are not meant to literally make fun of those topics themselves but make fun of how sensitive people are about them. At the core of it, a lot of offensive jokes are meta-jokes.
  • iLozza! likes this

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love

• No, this is Patrick

• 30,757 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2008
  • 3,673 rep
Dark humour is funny, insensitive humour isn't. Where to draw that line is kind of hard. It depends on the individual joke (or funny picture), I guess.

Trotsky

Trotsky

• 29,337 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,525 rep

I think that black humor is good only if it's not made only for the sake of making "transgressively" tacky jokes. Black humor is made to make you ponder about this kind of things. Take for example Bill Hicks, or George Carlin. They are (/were) great black humorists, because they did it with the purpose of make you think about these topics.

"I'm going to kill mommy and daddy. And then I'm going to peel off their skin and make a funny hat." I think the first time I ever heard that I nearly pissed myself laughing.
  • Dylan. and Lena549 like this

Brigister

Brigister
  • I'm a mess and you're a work of art

• 4,541 posts
  • Joined Aug 30, 2011
  • 1,192 rep

"I'm going to kill mommy and daddy. And then I'm going to peel off their skin and make a funny hat." I think the first time I ever heard that I nearly pissed myself laughing.

Now that's some good black humor :rofl:

chickin'pickin'

chickin'pickin'
  • (White man) In Hammersmith Palais

• 18,214 posts
  • Joined Oct 19, 2006
  • 322 rep
Nothing and I mean nothing is off limits.
Softens the blow of living in the world we live in.
  • captain peroxide likes this

Black Dynamite

Black Dynamite
  • STOP WHEN THE RED LIGHT flashES

• 3,230 posts
  • Joined Apr 06, 2011
  • 3,316 rep
What I think matters is the intention of the person telling the joke. If it's just for "lulz" then I personally think it's totally acceptable, but if a person is telling a joke specifically to discriminate against a certain group/person/incident it's just pointless and ignorant.

The only problem I have with dark humour is when people (like that knob Frankie Boyle) just use shock tactics as a replacement for actually being funny.

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit
  • "ben's actually a giant teddy bear" -Lone

• 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,646 rep
My view on jokes is similar to one articulated by Trey Parker of South Park fame: if you've hurt someone, you've done it wrong. That's not to say I'm above making tasteless jokes, but you've got to know your audience. If you walk into a national Jewish convention and make a joke about it being as hot as an oven in there, you're either a fuckbag or need to study some history.

If you're making jokes or carrying on with the intention of hurting people, then you're an asshole. There's a big difference between someone taking something the wrong way and you either apologizing or changing course vs. someone being hurt by your joke and you continuing down that path anyway.

ifmemoryserves

ifmemoryserves
  • 24,225 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2006
  • 1,842 rep
Dark humor can be funny, but it depends on what you mean by "dark." For example, things like rape should not be joked about, no matter what.

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 27,429 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 10,079 rep

What I think matters is the intention of the person telling the joke. If it's just for "lulz" then I personally think it's totally acceptable, but if a person is telling a joke specifically to discriminate against a certain group/person/incident it's just pointless and ignorant.

The only problem I have with dark humour is when people (like that knob Frankie Boyle) just use shock tactics as a replacement for actually being funny.

I agree. As long as it's not being said with the intention to hurt, and it's FUNNY as opposed to just being shocking/tasteless as a substitute for actual humour, then I don't think anything should be off limits.

bat-chen

bat-chen
  • Best Thing In Town

• 16,887 posts
  • Joined Mar 02, 2006
  • 4,061 rep
I'm a Jew and proud of it and I have nothing against Jews jokes and the Holocaust jokes. In fact, I have many jokes I can tell but if someone is sensitive to a certin subject, like the Holocaust, I know I shold avoid jokes about it cause I don't want them to get hurts. Also, there's a difference between darks jokes that are actually funny than dark jokes that just lame and hurts.

I am very into dark humor... :p

chickin'pickin'

chickin'pickin'

• 18,214 posts
  • Joined Oct 19, 2006
  • 322 rep

Dark humor can be funny, but it depends on what you mean by "dark." For example, things like rape should not be joked about, no matter what.

Murders ok, though?
  • Trotsky, captain peroxide, Maria-ISH and 1 other like this

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• 14,447 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 2,935 rep

Rape is a strong word. I prefer 'surprise sex'
  • melissawebster and Brigister like this

Advertising

Amanda

Amanda
  • Loved Very Much by Joey

• 30,222 posts
  • Joined Apr 08, 2005
  • 7,607 rep
Dark humour is funny.
Dark humor is disgraceful.
  • johndorkian likes this

chickin'pickin'

chickin'pickin'

• 18,214 posts
  • Joined Oct 19, 2006
  • 322 rep
I am of the opinion that if a Comedian goes on the "offensive" slant, then they can't pick and choose what is, and what isn't too offensive to joke about. Surely that's singling certain topics out?

Plus, if an audience knows full well what the comedian is like, they cannot have a cry because he/she made a joke that was a little close to the bone.

lastnightonGDA

lastnightonGDA
  • splosher

• 3,117 posts
  • Joined Jun 16, 2010
  • 991 rep
Yes, okay I've always been confused about the whole 'rape is always off limits' thing. What's the difference between that and the holocaust, for example? I mean, the reason why people are offended by these jokes is because we are literally laughing at someone else's pain. So if we're going to make an 'offensive' joke then why is rape so off limits? I guess the fact that women are still trying to properly gain freedom and rape is a very crucial aspect in that so I do understand.. slightly. Somebody explain it to me.
  • chickin'pickin' likes this

ifmemoryserves

ifmemoryserves
  • 24,225 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2006
  • 1,842 rep

Murders ok, though?

Did I say it was...
I wouldn't joke about the Holocaust or similar subjects.

chickin'pickin'

chickin'pickin'

• 18,214 posts
  • Joined Oct 19, 2006
  • 322 rep

Did I say it was...
I wouldn't joke about the Holocaust or similar subjects.

No you didn't, hence the question mark at the end of the sentence in the post you quoted.
Though, we'll have to agree to disagree.

• No, this is Patrick

• 30,757 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2008
  • 3,673 rep

Yes, okay I've always been confused about the whole 'rape is always off limits' thing. What's the difference between that and the holocaust, for example? I mean, the reason why people are offended by these jokes is because we are literally laughing at someone else's pain. So if we're going to make an 'offensive' joke then why is rape so off limits? I guess the fact that women are still trying to properly gain freedom and rape is a very crucial aspect in that so I do understand.. slightly. Somebody explain it to me.

I think because rape is something that's still happening and in a way is a part of "daily life", whereas the Holocaust is something from the past which you only ever hear about in past tense.

Not saying whether I agree with it or not, I just think that that might be why there's a difference.

oda

oda
  • bitch tits

• 4,046 posts
  • Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • 1,394 rep
The whole pedobear thing is very popular. Thats about child molesting. I don't get why it's funny

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 18,036 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,653 rep

Dark humour is funny.
Dark humor is disgraceful.

Nought like picking a side is there? :p

ifmemoryserves

ifmemoryserves
  • 24,225 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2006
  • 1,842 rep

POPULAR

Joking about rape isn't okay because not only does it remind anyone who has experienced rape of a moment of their life which (to put it lightly) was not pleasant, but by joking about it, or even using phrases such as "man I really raped that physics test," you are bastardizing the term itself. You are devaluing it and making it into something that people don't think they have to take seriously, thereby contributing to rape culture.

I'm sure I'll get plenty of replies saying that I'm being too sensitive, but I really don't care. This is a serious issue. Sure, you may think little jokes about rape are no big deal, but it all adds up.

Joking about the Holocaust (and such) is not viewed as such a big deal because (like someone said) it's a past issue. Most of the time when people joke about the Holocaust, they aren't doing so with any kind of anti-semitic purpose. That being said, I still don't find jokes about the Holocaust to be particularly funny. I am not of Jewish background, but millions of people died and it was truly a tragic (and horrifying) event.

Honestly I think that dark humor is mostly overdone and unfunny. Like someone mentioned above, the Pedobear jokes are extremely unfunny and have been for quite some time. I find it shocking that people still find them humorous. I think that if people were to put more effort into creating unique humor that didn't have the chance of offending anyone, it would be much more funny.
  • The Snark, Joy of suburbia., Kayfabe and 3 others like this

Just Kate

Just Kate
  • SNAFU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,633 posts
  • Joined Jan 20, 2010
  • 381 rep
Death Becomes Her.

Dylan.

Dylan.
  • And Don't You Fucking Wear It Out

• 3,844 posts
  • Joined Sep 08, 2007
  • 574 rep
The world has changed. 40 years ago, people didn't make fun of the President. That was considered dark humor to joke about the President. Now, the world has changed. Everything is free game. If you're asking if I find dark humor funny, the answer is: Sometimes. I think that the shocking effect of "Did he just say that?" is part of the fun. I think it's almost difficult to shock somebody anymore though. Because of Family Guy and South Park, the standard of appropriate-humor has changed. There is nothing off-limits. It seems though, that many times, people say dumbass bullshit for the sake of being startling. It's not funny. People should learn that "shocking" doesn't mean funny. In fact, if you say something shocking and it's not funny...you're not a comedian. You're a cunt.

Trotsky

Trotsky

• 29,337 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,525 rep

POPULAR

Joking about rape isn't okay because not only does it remind anyone who has experienced rape of a moment of their life which (to put it lightly) was not pleasant, but by joking about it, or even using phrases such as "man I really raped that physics test," you are bastardizing the term itself. You are devaluing it and making it into something that people don't think they have to take seriously, thereby contributing to rape culture.

I'm sure I'll get plenty of replies saying that I'm being too sensitive, but I really don't care. This is a serious issue. Sure, you may think little jokes about rape are no big deal, but it all adds up.

But that is what you feel subjectively strongly about. I've known some hardcore vegans, for example. You can joke about rape, you can joke about genocide, but holy fucking god, joke about animal abuse and they will just lose their shit on you.

There are some people that will cut your fucking head off if you draw Muhammed. You probably don't particularly give a shit if anyone makes fun of Muhammed, or if you do think it's distasteful, you at least don't find it to be anywhere on the same level as rape jokes. But for fundamentalist Muslims, it's quite the opposite. Joke about rape til the sun burns out but don't you dare draw our prophet or name a teddy bear after him.

The point of dark humor though is for it to exist for those who are amused by it, not to be shoved into other people's faces. You don't tell a dead baby joke to someone whose baby just died, but that doesn't mean no one should ever tell dead baby jokes. I wouldn't go into a mosque and show a Muhammed comic either, not just because I value tolerance but also because I value my head staying attached to my neck.
  • captain peroxide, Eirik, Hermione and 2 others like this

Floyd Pinkerton

Floyd Pinkerton
  • Head of Tom's legal council

• 18,920 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 2,906 rep
Anything goes with me. Dark humor is definitely my thing.

Dylan.

Dylan.
  • And Don't You Fucking Wear It Out

• 3,844 posts
  • Joined Sep 08, 2007
  • 574 rep

But that is what you feel subjectively strongly about. I've known some hardcore vegans, for example. You can joke about rape, you can joke about genocide, but holy fucking god, joke about animal abuse and they will just lose their shit on you.

There are some people that will cut your fucking head off if you draw Muhammed. You probably don't particularly give a shit if anyone makes fun of Muhammed, or if you do think it's distasteful, you at least don't find it to be anywhere on the same level as rape jokes. But for fundamentalist Muslims, it's quite the opposite. Joke about rape til the son burns out but don't you dare draw our prophet or name a teddy bear after him.

The point of dark humor though is for it to exist for those who are amused by it, not to be shoved into other people's faces. You don't tell a dead baby joke to someone whose baby just died, but that doesn't mean no one should ever tell dead baby jokes. I wouldn't go into a mosque and show a Muhammed comic either, not just because I value tolerance but also because I value my head staying attached to my neck.

John, that is what frustrates me though. The idea that religion is off limits has always infuriated me. They aren't living in religion against their will. THEY are purporting these fantastic claims. Why is it our obligation to not joke about religion? More importantly, why is drawing a picture of a dead Muslim off limits? Our FCC takes away naked ladies because they claim that little kids should not have to see naked people. That the very idea of nudity is damaging. We all know that is complete pseudo-science, but the FCC says it is for the children. That is also why the take off words like "Fuck" "Cunt" "Shit" "Nigger" "Faggot" "God Damn" etc. They don't want to offend people. However, why would anyone but Muslims be offended by the Prophet Mohammad? So...basically, make fun of Jews, make fun of rape, make fun of child molestation, make fun of murder. But making fun of God? Making fun of Muslims? Making fun of Christians? Off-fucking-limits.

fukingcounterstrike

fukingcounterstrike
  • legally retarded

• 10,261 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2007
  • 4,190 rep

I think you need a really weak minded individual to not make a distinction between the use of the raped in casual situations and in serious ones. there is a reason for context and it doesn't take much to judge what is and isn't in context

Dead Baby jokes are fucking brilliant I think, and no way do I think they contribute to violence against infants.
  • captain peroxide and Tre's Busted Drumkit like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Debate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users