Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Anarchy, where do you stand?

Debate

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

Poll: Pro or anti (78 member(s) have cast votes)

Pro anarchy?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Eva

Eva
  • Rebel Without a Car

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,166 posts
  • Joined Jun 09, 2011
  • 4,533 rep

It's not ironic. Clubs are based on voluntary association and so are anarchist collectives. 

Yeah, I was really disappointed they didn't approve my club. :(

ALSO Y'ALL SAYING ANARCHY IS JUST CHAOS AND HATRED MAKE ME LAUGH BECAUSE LOL NO.
  • Yussef likes this

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,450 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 19,755 rep

ALSO Y'ALL SAYING ANARCHY IS JUST CHAOS AND HATRED MAKE ME LAUGH BECAUSE LOL NO.

an·ar·chy  
/ˈanərkē/
Noun
A state of disorder due to absence or nonrecognition of authority.

I think that's what causes a lot of the confusion :P

• dumb shiny bitch likes this

Hedwig

Hedwig
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  • Joined Mar 02, 2011
  • 711 rep

Ok I better watch this then. Convince me.

But a lot of those institutions had existed for thousands of years at that point? Hardly a decay.

Nope no full anarchy has ever existed. Edit: as in a whole society, not counting cavemen and whatnot.

Yussef

Yussef
  • love infinitely

• 17,364 posts
  • Joined Jun 22, 2006
  • 4,660 rep

we're all rly cuddly and make tea together

lbsf1

lbsf1
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2013
  • 101 rep

It's not accurate to conclude from failed real life examples of attempts to implement a certain ideology, that it is NEVER going to work. And as far as I remember, is Animal Farm not about how the idea of communism can never work, but it depicts how and why it went wrong in relation to the attempt of creating a communist society in Russia.

Well, if you take the idea that past performance gives indications of future performance then yes what has happened in the past is very relevant.  Does the ideology of Anarchism sound good??, yes it does, however will it turn out like the ideology?? no it won't.  Just as every other political ideology hasn't every been put into practice how it was intended originally as an ideology.

Animal farm shows very well why and how the ideals of communism fall into a undesirable state. It was written about what happened in communist Russia however is applicable to almost any such state which has attempted communism. Animal farm explains the failings very well by not refering to Russia throughout it simply works through logically the stages between the ideal and how slowly some desire to take charge and then oppress the others.

As in the same way Democracy seems very good as an ideology, however has many flaws when applied, for example Plato believed that the leaders will do what is best for them rather then the people (because they need to be popular to stay in power they may chose popular policies over good polices.), does that sound familiar??

All political ideologies are flawed, as Winston Churchill said "Democracy is the least worst we have found so far", 

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,450 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 19,755 rep

Nope no full anarchy has ever existed. Edit: as in a whole society, not counting cavemen and whatnot.

Yeah that's what I meant. I think.

Eva

Eva
  • Rebel Without a Car

• 6,166 posts
  • Joined Jun 09, 2011
  • 4,533 rep

an·ar·chy  
/ˈanərkē/
Noun

Yeah, but just like a lot of other words, anarchy has transformed into something with a different meaning.

I'm going to go get my computer and get off my mom's phone so I can fully explain the glory of anarchism to you dirty capitalist conformists who think anarchistic clubs are ironic and humans would all kill each other. Ha.
  • Yussef likes this

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,450 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 19,755 rep

Yeah, but just like a lot of other words, anarchy has transformed into something with a different meaning.

I'm going to go get my computer and get off my mom's phone so I can fully explain the glory of anarchism to you dirty capitalist conformists who think anarchistic clubs are ironic and humans would all kill each other. Ha.

Oh I know, there's two definitions in the dictionary, but that's the first one and most people never bother read the second one :P

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,507 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,616 rep

As in the same way Democracy seems very good as an ideology, however has many flaws when applied, for example Plato believed that the leaders will do what is best for them rather then the people (because they need to be popular to stay in power they may chose popular policies over good polices.), does that sound familiar??

All political ideologies are flawed, as Winston Churchill said "Democracy is the least worst we have found so far", 

Democracy functions as a buzzword to justify the current state of things as acceptable. Capitalism and democracy are not codependent, in fact, capitalism undermines democracy to the greatest extent it can at any given moment. Anarchists are primarily considered with opposing capitalism and the state, democracy has a place within anarchist thought. 

• Eva likes this

fromdecimateddreams

fromdecimateddreams
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • Joined Apr 09, 2013
  • 740 rep

Also the french revolution was all about anarchism, it's aim was to equalize fortunes, and create a national system of rationally established prices of all commodities. Something YOU DO NOT GET IN CAPITALISM.

The French Revolution also ended is mass murder by decapitation, so.

I dunno about you guys, I'd take capitalism over having my head chopped off by a guillotine any day.

I like the idea of anarchy, but like a lot of people have said, I really don't think it would work in today's world. Not because we don't have the capacity or ability to be able to self-govern, but mostly because people are power-hungry, and even if we tried really damn hard to get a lawless society to work, it wouldn't. There would always be someone who wanted to get to the top and take it all over. It's human nature, really.

I mean, if we think it's bad with two major political parties constantly disagreeing over shit, imagine a society where everybody has their *gasp* own opinions without any sort of leader to try to contain and redirect the chaos.

Not pretty.

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,507 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,616 rep

I mean, if we think it's bad with two major political parties constantly disagreeing over shit, imagine a society where everybody has their *gasp* own opinions without any sort of leader to try to contain and redirect the chaos.

Not pretty.

You say that, but "anarchism doesn't work because human nature" is the most thoughtlessly echoed sentiment in the history of political discourse. And really, there aren't a whole lot of posts in this thread or contribution to any debate where those words come forth from a process of rational thought. It is mostly people repeating a very tired mantra and ignoring every counterargument. 

And it becomes annoying, because people who say "it just doesn't work" either make the ridiculous assumption that no one has ever addressed that or that those arguments are not instantly accessible to anyone with internet access, or they just don't care. 

chatnoir

chatnoir
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2008
  • 625 rep

an·ar·chy  
/ˈanərkē/
Noun

People, who are in charge of editing a dictionary, do get things wrong. Surprising.

we're all rly cuddly and make tea together

But,...that will still happen, right? We just don't tell the others, so that they don't mistake us for filthy hippies and don't find us intimidating and harsh anymore.

Well, if you take the idea that past performance gives indications of future performance then yes what has happened in the past is very relevant.  Does the ideology of Anarchism sound good??, yes it does, however will it turn out like the ideology?? no it won't.  Just as every other political ideology hasn't every been put into practice how it was intended originally as an ideology.

Animal farm shows very well why and how the ideals of communism fall into a undesirable state. It was written about what happened in communist Russia however is applicable to almost any such state which has attempted communism. Animal farm explains the failings very well by not refering to Russia throughout it simply works through logically the stages between the ideal and how slowly some desire to take charge and then oppress the others.

I didn't say, that what happened in the past, weren't relevant. I said, you can't conclude from single events, that anarchism can never work in general. There is no proof, that it can never work. I see it as a desirable utopia, that is worth discussing and putting more effort into reaching it. I mean, everyone is very excited about the idea, but the majority of people stops at this thought and goes with the mainstream: But it can never work. If humanity had stuck to such an attitude, no positive change would have ever occured.

Eva

Eva
  • Rebel Without a Car

• 6,166 posts
  • Joined Jun 09, 2011
  • 4,533 rep

Okay kids, here we go.

Anarchism has morphed into the idea and philosophy of no governmental control, leaving people to fend for themselves and others without influence of an overbearing corrupting society. The form of anarchism generally, though not always, supported and believed in by modern day anarchists is explained perfectly in this poem: "If you are hungry, I will offer food. If you are thirsty, I will offer water. If you are cold, I will offer warmth. If you are in need, ask and I will give. If you are in trouble, ask and I will help. I do not do these things in the hopes of being rewarded. I do not do these things out of fear of punishment. I do these things because I know them to be right. I set my own standards and I alone enforce them. I am an Anarchist."

Basically, anarchism is the idea that people are born without society: when they are born, a corrupted society does not exist. Therefore, humans are not influenced by it's evils, corporatism, hatred, and greed. It abides by John Locke's philosophy of tabula rasa combined with Voltaire's ideas of the relationship between humans and their social surroundings: People are born a blank slate and are then corrupted by societal evils. Without the influence of corrupted and greedy evils, people would be innately good, caring, helpful, and willing. They would help when asked because they know how hard life can be and retain the skills of empathy, which is an ability that is lost in a world full of corporations, divisions in class, and societal standards, which are set by an overbearing, unethical, selfish power that oppresses the members of its society without their knowledge.

Anarchism has two basic principles: 1) That all shall be free and equal and 2) That we shall extend mutual aid and solidarity where we can. These two principles are deeply intertwined and one cannot exist without the other. To be an anarchist, you cannot be passive, but you must actively educate and create the society and surrounds that you personally desire. Anarchists challenge relationships and hierarchy both in the societal and individual setting, especially when it comes to access of power and resources. An anarchist who has incidentally stumbled upon a large source of resources will gladly and willingly split their resources with someone who is less fortunate than they, because they were born and live without the ideas of a class divide. Inequality is despicable and should not and will not be tolerated in the mind of any anarchist or any possible anarchist community. All are equal and all free. 

Freedom to an anarchist is not a privilege or something that can be challenged. It is a natural right. This does not apply to just the relationship between an individual and government, but also between an individual and another individual. Freedom is the assertion no other individual, corporation, or government can tell us what to do, what to believe, and what to say.

This, however, does not mean that one's personal freedom can come at the expense of another's. An anarchist who does not give aid or hinders the lifestyle and choices of others, will not receive aid and their survival will be determined based off of their own capabilities and intelligence.

Anarchism also throws out many challenges faced by people living in a large, uncontrollable government: We are all raised in an environment and society that bombards us daily with messages of what to do and what not to do, what attitude to have, and what questions are acceptable and which are not. Without these pressures, one is free to learn and think as they wish without the fear of being scorned or rejected for their own personal beliefs. 

Anarchism is not just the adoption of a label, protests, or the shouting of anti-governmental slogans. Anarchy forces humans to own up to their own behavior because no one is going to help them if they do something "wrong." However, if one is helpful and willing to give aid, an anarchist will, in turn, be gifted with mutual aid, understanding and acceptance of their own personal beliefs, regardless of the possibly differing opinions between two individuals.

Anarchy accepts people of all identifications with no questions asked. Homophobia is not tolerated. Racism is not tolerated. Sexism is not tolerated. Ableism is not tolerated. Discrimination based upon a person's beliefs and outward appearance. 

Anarchism is the acceptance of all and the ultimate freedom.

• Yussef, Trotsky and chatnoir like this

lbsf1

lbsf1
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2013
  • 101 rep

I didn't say, that what happened in the past, weren't relevant. I said, you can't conclude from single events, that anarchism can never work in general. There is no proof, that it can never work. I see it as a desirable utopia, that is worth discussing and putting more effort into reaching it. I mean, everyone is very excited about the idea, but the majority of people stops at this thought and goes with the mainstream: But it can never work. If humanity had stuck to such an attitude, no positive change would have ever occured.

The problem with anarchism is that its abit all or nothing, you can't ease into anarchism (where as for civil rights for example you could ease into it slowly) . There would have to be enough disent from our current system to support an uprising, which is unlikely to happen as anarchism is still a risk, for the benifits of seeing if it would work and allow us to live in utopia we have to risk living in a world which will be much worse, and for most people that risk is not justifiable.

I personally think that we need smaller government and more freedom, however not complete "freedom" because I personally believe that the human race is not trustworthy enough to make full anarchism succeed, we still need certain law (very basic human rights) to be upheld to avoid complete turmoil. I cannot say for sure that anarchism won't work however past events would suggest what is likely to happen.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Debate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users