Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Anarchy, where do you stand?

Debate

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

Poll: Pro or anti (78 member(s) have cast votes)

Pro anarchy?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,616 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,314 rep
Erm no. The mere idea of an Anarchic state is ridiculous. Law. Order. Government. Hierarchy. The enforcement of all of these is required for a peaceful and prgressive modern civilisation.

A true Anarchic civilisation would actually hinder the freedom of speech by removing the orgainsed forum within which it is heard. Humans like order. Anarchy does have its own type of order, true, but it is not one which comes naturally to the human condition, nor would it possibly work in realtiy - like Marxism. All far-left ideas are genuinely wonderful concepts but easily abused and deeply, deeply flawed in reality. Shame.

chewychorizo

chewychorizo
  • cutie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,072 posts
  • Joined Aug 24, 2008
  • 2,806 rep
Mmmmm, Marxism.

Guest_Billy_*

Guest_Billy_*
  • Joined --
  • 0 rep
It's actually hilarious that people voted for yes. Granted, I am not a friend of certain government branches, I am nonetheless thankful for an anchored society. Do you realize what anarchy means? No safety, nothing is ensured.

Have you ever heard of a political belief called the state of nature? If you haven't, educate yourselfs with a book called Two Treatises of Government by John Locke. Read his contemporary's work The Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes. Look at the scenarios that they propose. You'll be thankful you have government.

I am even a nihilist. I am not pro-absolute government at all, but I am supportive of a limited centralize government. Anarchy is a terrible idea. It accomplishes nothing and is the deterioration of society. I don't know why the hell you would want to support something that can kill you as easily as it leads you to power. Anarchy is merely a transition from democracy/representation to tyranny.

Plague yourselves and wave the black flag.
"Prefiero morir en pie que vivir en rodilla." - Emiliano Zapata

chatnoir

chatnoir
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2008
  • 597 rep
There's one thing for sure, as some of the freeform responses to this survey about anarchists show: Anarchists are badass funny folks most of the time. :p

http://www.anarchist...ey.com/results/
  • Frank's Penis and Yussef like this

Occam's Chainsaw

Occam's Chainsaw
  • I'm a fake doctor. Don't trust me.

• 15,407 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 9,579 rep
REVIVAAAAAAAAL!!!!

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • That's a smashing blouse you have on

• 13,475 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,113 rep

Someone get Eva

• musso_kn likes this

Eva

Eva
  • A Void That Thinks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 posts
  • Joined Jun 09, 2011
  • 4,273 rep

Someone get Eva

I HAVE ARRIVED, BITCHES

Also, in case no one knows anything about me, anarchy is a yes.

• Emilie. likes this

lbsf1

lbsf1
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2013
  • 101 rep

Hmmn, anarchy's ideology whilst sounding brilliant is never realistically going to work like that, this is mentioned by lots of people in this thread. However what isn't mentioned is the fact that this is the same with every political ideology (animal farm anyone??), even if you look at democracy and how what actually happens is far worse and far different from what democracy is actually meant to be.

justagrouch

justagrouch
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Joined Feb 19, 2013
  • 31 rep

I'm not into anarchy at all. In some cases it would be awesome to have a lawless state for sure, but overall I just think it would be complete chaos. Someone needs to keep a country under control, people can't just run around and do whatever they want to do.

dumb shiny bitch

dumb shiny bitch
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,248 posts
  • Joined Jul 26, 2010
  • 1,383 rep

I HAVE ARRIVED, BITCHES

Also, in case no one knows anything about me, anarchy is a yes.

Elabor8. 

Asbury Park

Asbury Park
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Joined Mar 13, 2011
  • 807 rep

Did this thread really need to be bumped? >_>

• Cob likes this

Occam's Chainsaw

Occam's Chainsaw

• 15,407 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 9,579 rep

yep, someone wanted to make a club for anarchy (ironic, I know).
Since I had already made this thread we're using this instead of the club.

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,978 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,570 rep

Yeah, uh, no. Almost every example of a functioning "anarchistic" micro-society has required a larger and greater functioning society in order to even exist. 

Yussef

Yussef
  • love infinitely

• 17,343 posts
  • Joined Jun 22, 2006
  • 4,602 rep

To people who say anarchy can work do you..know history????

For example, medieval cities. They succeeded maintaining a socialized organization of production and trade and this led to a period of rapid intellectual, industrial and artistic progress.

The decay of these communal institutions came from the incapacity of people combining the village with the city, peasants with the citizen so that led to destruction of free cities.

Also the french revolution was all about anarchism, it's aim was to equalize fortunes, and create a national system of rationally established prices of all commodities. Something YOU DO NOT GET IN CAPITALISM.

(thank u kropotkin 4 letting me paraphrase u)

bla bla there's a lot to say on it but i don't have time. what do i have is a whole bunch of great links that you should all read before jumping on the "BUT IT DOESN'T WORK IN PRACTICE?!?!?!"

http://anarchist-pdf...ive.tumblr.com/

http://anarchist-pdf...ive.tumblr.com/

http://class-struggl...ism.tumblr.com/

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,159 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,164 rep

Yeah, uh, no. Almost every example of a functioning "anarchistic" micro-society has required a larger and greater functioning society in order to even exist. 

But since modern states, with the help of technology, can exert influence on nearly every corner of the planet today, you can't blame anarchists for not being completely separate from something that is virtually omnipresent with or without their consent. 

Advertising

Yussef

Yussef
  • love infinitely

• 17,343 posts
  • Joined Jun 22, 2006
  • 4,602 rep

Did a capitalist tell you that?

Trotsky

Trotsky

• 29,159 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,164 rep

yep, someone wanted to make a club for anarchy (ironic, I know).

It's not ironic. Clubs are based on voluntary association and so are anarchist collectives. 

Yussef

Yussef
  • love infinitely

• 17,343 posts
  • Joined Jun 22, 2006
  • 4,602 rep

It's not ironic. Clubs are based on voluntary association and so are anarchist collectives. 

I thought anarchy just meant chaos :huh:

Trotsky

Trotsky

• 29,159 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,164 rep

Nah, chaos is just what makes anarchy fun! 

Bottles are for parties. Molotov cocktails are bottles. Molotovs are parties. 

Yussef

Yussef
  • love infinitely

• 17,343 posts
  • Joined Jun 22, 2006
  • 4,602 rep

Nah, chaos is just what makes anarchy fun! 

Bottles are for parties. Molotov cocktails are bottles. Molotovs are parties. 

class snuggle anarchism

Occam's Chainsaw

Occam's Chainsaw

• 15,407 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 9,579 rep

touché

There is a Norwegian saying: "du skal ikke plage andre, du skal være grei og snill, men forøvrig kan man gjøre som man vil." Which translates to "you shall not bother others, you should be kind and nice, that aside you can do whatever you want.

I imagine if anarchy was in the works anywhere, nothing would happen and the capitalists would try to rise and fall since there are no laws against stealing their money and use it as you please.
  • Spinelli likes this

Yussef

Yussef
  • love infinitely

• 17,343 posts
  • Joined Jun 22, 2006
  • 4,602 rep

I imagine if anarchy was in the works anywhere, nothing would happen and the capitalists would try to rise and fall since there are no laws against stealing their money and use it as you please.

There wouldn't be stealing because there'd be no need for it. Criminal activity is led by capitalism because it is about power. It's not led by human nature, society adapts to certain different ways of living depending on how it grows. With capitalism, greed is encouraged, but it is not innate.

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 16,733 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,196 rep

To people who say anarchy can work do you..know history????

For example, medieval cities. They succeeded maintaining a socialized organization of production and trade and this led to a period of rapid intellectual, industrial and artistic progress.

The decay of these communal institutions came from the incapacity of people combining the village with the city, peasants with the citizen so that led to destruction of free cities.

Also the french revolution was all about anarchism, it's aim was to equalize fortunes, and create a national system of rationally established prices of all commodities. Something YOU DO NOT GET IN CAPITALISM.

What those medieval cities with their currencies and laws and guards and civic institutions and mayors/town councils running them? Sounds like anarchy. Yup.

• Cob and Spinelli like this

Trotsky

Trotsky

• 29,159 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,164 rep

Capitalists wouldn't voluntarily associate with anarchists, and if there were people trying exploitative trade inside an anarchist collective, then the anarchists would presumably take action against them rather than allow themselves to be swindled. 

chatnoir

chatnoir
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,328 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2008
  • 597 rep

Hmmn, anarchy's ideology whilst sounding brilliant is never realistically going to work like that, this is mentioned by lots of people in this thread. However what isn't mentioned is the fact that this is the same with every political ideology (animal farm anyone??), even if you look at democracy and how what actually happens is far worse and far different from what democracy is actually meant to be.

It's not accurate to conclude from failed real life examples of attempts to implement a certain ideology, that it is NEVER going to work. And as far as I remember, is Animal Farm not about how the idea of communism can never work, but it depicts how and why it went wrong in relation to the attempt of creating a communist society in Russia.

I'm not into anarchy at all. In some cases it would be awesome to have a lawless state for sure, but overall I just think it would be complete chaos. Someone needs to keep a country under control, people can't just run around and do whatever they want to do.

You're perpetuating a common misconception about anarchism: That in an anarchist society, there wouldn't be rules and people could do whatever they want to do, which is wrong. The idea is more to create a society without hierarchies in which everyone has equal say regarding community decisions and especially regarding the usage of resources and land.

"Negative Creep" :lol:

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,978 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,570 rep

Did a capitalist tell you that?

Nope. I formulated it with my own observations. 

justagrouch

justagrouch
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Joined Feb 19, 2013
  • 31 rep

You're perpetuating a common misconception about anarchism: That in an anarchist society, there wouldn't be rules and people could do whatever they want to do, which is wrong. The idea is more to create a society without hierarchies in which everyone has equal say regarding community decisions and especially regarding the usage of resources and land.

Oh well, I don't like hierachies, lol. :P

Yussef

Yussef
  • love infinitely

• 17,343 posts
  • Joined Jun 22, 2006
  • 4,602 rep

Nope. I formulated it with my own observations. 

Oh well then I will listen to u

What those medieval cities with their currencies and laws and guards and civic institutions and mayors/town councils running them? Sounds like anarchy. Yup.

Notice I said decay.

Also anarchy doesn't mean no society/production whatever. It's just a more self governing approach and less about power and having class structure.

chewychorizo

chewychorizo
  • cutie

• 13,072 posts
  • Joined Aug 24, 2008
  • 2,806 rep

Self governing could never work, really. I'm soz~ We're all cunts and we all want what is best for us, and if this is at the extent of others then so be it. 

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 16,733 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,196 rep

Notice I said decay.

Also anarchy doesn't mean no society/production whatever. It's just a more self governing approach and less about power and having class structure.

But a lot of those institutions had existed for thousands of years at that point? Hardly a decay.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Debate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users