Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

We've consolidated the Clubs, Other Artists, Musicians Lounge, and other subforums into one new one called "Interests". Read the details here and leave your feedback.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Green Day Random News

4,675 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I am sorry if this thread doesn't need to exist but often I get news that is Green Day related but not big enough to start it's own thread, like a mention in some periodical. All that is really needed to be known is that I read the trades (EVERY DAY), unfortunately, and whenever there is Green Day stuff I want to post it but it's usually too small to start a thread for and off topic in all the other running threads.

So, in an effort to have a spot for myself, and any others to post links to interesting or mundane Green Day news clips of the day, this thread.

Sorry if there is already something like this somewhere. Here are two to start with from the last couple days for an example. I'll probably have something to add at least every other day.

Firstly, here is an interesting People magazine list of "Patriotic" songs to play on the 4th (or to have played) and interestingly enough "American Idiot" was listed as a patriotic song to play by them (People isn't even really a magazine that skews young, so even more interesting).

June 29, 2010

People Magazine link mentioning Green Day

Secondly, here is a Film Junk periodical (despite the name, this is actually a respected site in the industry) that mentions of the "rumor" of American Idiot the movie, while mostly talking about some new musical in development.

July 3, 2010

Film Junk Link

Also, and somewhat related to the above article is that this new movie by Bobcat is about The Kinks. (The Kinks are an old, great, rock British band from the British Invasion days).

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

This is a good idea.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I thinks this is a good idea

hope the mods like it too :thumbsup:

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

this is pretty genious! good'un kid!

Posted · Report post

This is an super genius idea. (:

Posted · Report post

i saw in a magazine tghe other day that kelly osborne went to wembly and there was quite a nice picture of Billie :D

Posted · Report post

Good idea for a thread! I like it :happy:

Posted · Report post

Interesting!

Billie Joe Armstrong and Miley Cyrus :lol:

Posted · Report post

Because American Idiot is oh so patriotic? :lol: Although I guess you could look at it as a song that 'improves the country' or something like that.

Good idea for a thread.

Posted · Report post

cool thanks for sharing Adam

but American Idiot a patriotic song? wtf?

Posted · Report post

pretty good idea! nice! :happy:

thanks for sharing the news!

Posted · Report post

Definitely like the idea of a miscellaneious information thread rather than a thread for every bit of info.

Thanks for starting it.

Posted · Report post

I am sorry if this thread doesn't need to exist but often I get news that is Green Day related but not big enough to start it's own thread, like a mention in some periodical. All that is really needed to be known is that I read the trades (EVERY DAY), unfortunately, and whenever there is Green Day stuff I want to post it but it's usually too small to start a thread for and off topic in all the other running threads.

So, in an effort to have a spot for myself, and any others to post links to interesting or mundane Green Day news clips of the day, this thread.

Great idea -- we've needed something like this here. I also hope it can be a good feeder source for some of the smaller items that might otherwise get overlooked by the GDA news editors.

Meanwhile as far as I'm concerned...

SET THREAD_MONITOR=ON

:)

cool thanks for sharing Adam

but American Idiot a patriotic song? wtf?

Just as patriotic as CCR's "Fortunate Son" or Bruce's "Born In The U.S.A."

Makes you wonder if anyone ever reads the effin' lyrics, jus' sayin'.....

Posted · Report post

Interesting!

Billie Joe Armstrong and Miley Cyrus :lol:

ikr!

Posted · Report post

Just as patriotic as CCR's "Fortunate Son" or Bruce's "Born In The U.S.A."

Makes you wonder if anyone ever reads the effin' lyrics, jus' sayin'.....

True.....but the title alone "American Idiot"doesn't exactly sound like it's praising the country. With those two you mentioned, it's still like.... if you don't read the lyrics, it could be. But that's just really not with American Idiot. :lol:

Posted · Report post

True.....but the title alone "American Idiot"doesn't exactly sound like it's praising the country. With those two you mentioned, it's still like.... if you don't read the lyrics, it could be. But that's just really not with American Idiot. :lol:

Well the whole reason I thought it odd that they would call it patriotic, while People is surely not a conservative mag, they certainly don't skew towards the young, so having "American Idiot" as a "Patriotic Song" seemed weird to me. Not that I don't think it's patriotic. I do. Speaking up about things, and the right to be able to, is one of the few things America has going for it. (1st Amendment "Freedom of Speech"). So I DO think it's patriotic. Just surprised People thought so too, or at least printed it.

Fortunate Son is a good comparison BTW. Still doesn't bash America like AI, it just says "that aint me" and was a sort of Vietnam protest song by CCR I believe. ain't

At the end of the day, AI doesn't say anything more than "hey this shit that we are doing, there is a big contingency of Americans 'maybe called the faggot America' that is not a party to this 'redneck agenda'. I was glad of it's popularity because it came out at a time when America's global rep was being shot down by our then goofy president that somehow MANAGED to get elected twice and destroy our country in two terms.

It's not like our image has been restored to former glory and probably won't in my lifetime, even if we make it that long, but with the end of the Bush era. a lot of good has come. It's not like post WWII, but America has shown it's in adolescence.

Posted · Report post

Well the whole reason I thought it odd that they would call it patriotic, while People is surely not a conservative mag, they certainly don't skew towards the young, so having "American Idiot" as a "Patriotic Song" seemed weird to me. Not that I don't think it's patriotic. I do. Speaking up about things, and the right to be able to, is one of the few things America has going for it. (1st Amendment "Freedom of Speech"). So I DO think it's patriotic. Just surprised People thought so too, or at least printed it.

Fortunate Son is a good comparison BTW. Still doesn't bash America like AI, it just says "that me" and was a sort of Vietnam protest song by CCR I believe. ain't

At the end of the day, AI doesn't say anything more than "hey this shit that we are doing, there is a big contingency of Americans 'maybe called the faggot America' that is not a party to this 'redneck agenda'. I was glad of it's popularity because it came out at a time when America's rep was being shot down by our then goofy president that somehow MANAGED to get elected twice and destroy our country in two terms.

It's not like our image has been restored to former glory and probably won't in my lifetime, even if we make it that long, but with the end of the Bush era. a lot of good has come. It's not like post WWII, but America has shown it's in adolescence.

I guess you're right....although I still don't think of it as a very patriotic song. Speaking up and that fitting into the American ideology or not, that doesn't necessarily mean it's patriotic. Not saying American Idiot is immediately scratched off the list of what can be patriotic. Maybe it's patriotic in the sense that it's wanting to improve America, or something like that. Or I'm just getting the meaning of patriotic wrong. I also thought 'skew' meant something different, just looked it up, so I didn't take that into consideration either when posting.

I'm tempted to say something about that I still don't think it's very fitting for the 4th of July, but that would be a bit (I spent five minutes thinking of what the word was but I cannot come up with it. 'Saying things while you're not informed enough') of me, since I don't really know much about 7/4... whether it's more emphasised on 'praise the US' or 'yay independence'. So yeah..... this paragraph was a bit useless.

Sorry, I'm a bit out of it today... I hope that made some sort of sense.

Posted · Report post

This thread is going to last forever. =D Great idea.

I think American Idiot is a very patriotic song. the whole idea of being American is the fact that not only CAN you say what you want, but you also SHOULD say what you want. And that's exactly what American Idiot does. In general, it is a very "American" song, I guess you could say. Plus, if Green Day wasn't patriotic, they wouldn't have shown how much they care about their country by writing such an amazing album about it. =D

Posted · Report post

American Idiot is patriotic in many ways...? :unsure: I'm not so sure about that... I'd like a movie, but not based on the musical. Tre has said that there would be an upcoming Hollywood movie, and HLAHG was filmed in Hollywood, right?

Great idea for a thread! thanks for sharing those articles! :)

Posted · Report post

I deem this news. Green Day standing next to Simon Amstell, I can now die happily:

Posted · Report post

I deem this news. Green Day standing next to Simon Amstell, I can now die happily:

Wooo! :lol:

Gwen Stefani's a bit of a twat in that video

Posted · Report post

I like it :D

Posted · Report post

I guess you're right....although I still don't think of it as a very patriotic song. Speaking up and that fitting into the American ideology or not, that doesn't necessarily mean it's patriotic.

I would imagine patriotism and it's meaning would vary from culture to culture and from country to country so I would not be so bold to tell you what IS patriotic or not.

But I can say. with some authority, that it is indeed considered by many to exercise our constitutional rights to express ourselves and question our government as patriotic while many others (in this country), mostly conservatives, would say we are abusing our "rights" and being unpatriotic even though it is not illegal.

(i.e. flag burning as a way to protest is something that is a hot potato issue here in the States. The states, as a matter of legality, have more power to enact legislation than Federal except when it comes to matters of The Constitution.

For example, a state can make a law that says you have to stop drinking at 2am but cannot make one that says you can't express your view about not liking it. (Because that is unconstitutional),

BUT THAT ALL SAID, a lot of out constitutional liberties have been raped of us by the prior "administration" such as say "Illegal search and seizure" (Patriot Act).

A good example if you by any small chance follow American politics is the Arizona border patrol laws that the state passed and the government is saying that the laws are unconstitutional and are being challenged by the Feds.

Posted · Report post

I know this is probably the wrong thread and whatnot (rules are for breaking after all) but does anyone happen to know if the Simon the Popworld horse interview is knocking about on Youtube or summat ? The only bit I've ever seen is Billie going 'because of our crazy, rock & roll lives' :(

Posted · Report post

I know this is probably the wrong thread and whatnot (rules are for breaking after all) but does anyone happen to know if the Simon the Popworld horse interview is knocking about on Youtube or summat ? The only bit I've ever seen is Billie going 'because of our crazy, rock & roll lives' :(

Wait... Are you saying Simon has done a full interview with Green Day?

*hyperventilates*