Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
There are only just hours left to vote for your favorite in the Karaoke Contest!

Photo

Stereotyping and Individuality

Debate

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Merry Christmas, ya filthy animal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,976 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,900 rep

Oh God yes, the toy situation. I'm glad my parents allowed me a variety of toys. I had baby dolls and barbies, but I also had matchbox cars and footballs.

I'm glad for that too. I had my Barbies, but I also had my Power Rangers and Hot Wheels.
Actually, now that I think of it I really did prefer the "boy's" toys when I was little. And my favourite Barbie - the Susie O'Neill Barbie - was only my favourite because she was a wind-up toy. You'd wind her up in the back and her arms would spin. So if you put her in the bath or the pool she'd do backstroke. :happy:

Oh I never even went close to the girls lucky dip.

I got the girl's lucky dip once and hated it. I can't remember what it was, but it was pink and flowery. Next time I went straight for the boy's.

HeißblütigerPinguin

HeißblütigerPinguin
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2010
  • 166 rep
dips as in food?

Isabel

Isabel
  • 'You wouldn't even let me sing my own damn song!'

• 12,309 posts
  • Joined Sep 01, 2005
  • 824 rep
A friend of mine hates being stereotyped and prides themself as being an 'individual', when really, they're completely obsessed with looking like their favourite singers. Baffling.
  • Sarcasm likes this

Sarcasm

Sarcasm
  • Panty Purée/Savior of Lives/Arse Doctor

• 16,195 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 10,171 rep
I care about the way I look when I'm with new people. Other times I don't usually give a fuck, but I want to have the impression that I'm cleaner than I really am. I'm a dirty fuck, not un-healthy dirty, but to a certain degree repulsive dirty.

If theres flirting I care even more. Who doesn't wanne be looked at as pretty? Some say looks is a bonus on top of a neat personality, sometimes I almost think it's the other way around.

bollard_11

bollard_11
  • Disposable Hero

• 9,201 posts
  • Joined Apr 17, 2009
  • 3,105 rep
I totally have my own way of doing things. Some days people would class me as a sporty person due to wearing tracksuit bottoms and football jerseys. Other days I wear like band tees and jeans. Its not something I do just to fit in, its just my way.

I also have extremely different music taste and hobbies than the rest of my social group. Doesn't make any difference

Yea so I would totally describe myself as individual

Yussef

Yussef
  • love infinitely

• 17,395 posts
  • Joined Jun 22, 2006
  • 4,699 rep

Individuality doesn't come from your clothes, your taste in music, etc. It comes only from your perception of the world around you. It's your perception that dictates decisions, opinions and how you react to anything.

This is the most worthy post in the thread.
  • Frank's Penis likes this

chewychorizo

chewychorizo
  • cutie

• 13,562 posts
  • Joined Aug 24, 2008
  • 3,242 rep

Individuality doesn't come from your clothes, your taste in music, etc. It comes only from your perception of the world around you. It's your perception that dictates decisions, opinions and how you react to anything.

holy fuck you're alive <3

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Merry Christmas, ya filthy animal

• 14,976 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,900 rep

dips as in food?

Lucky dips are things you get at the market (or other places, maybe). They're just cheap toys or little books - anything that could be a "prize" - wrapped in newspaper. So you pay $1 or $2, whatever it says, and pick a prize. And the whole point is that you pick it without knowing what you're going to get. And usually it's kid's books or notebooks, or little pens, or old stuffed toys.

Brigister

Brigister
  • I'm a mess and you're a work of art

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,541 posts
  • Joined Aug 30, 2011
  • 1,192 rep
If only I could find Hitman's post, I would agree with him. Anyways sometimes real anticonformist and individually-thinking people like to show their individuality with a different way of dressing, nothing wrong with it, I think. This thing is not bijective though, 'cause when you use "alternative" clothes, doesn't mean you're really an anticonformist person, but just someone who likes to be thought like that and likes to be looked at by people.

HeißblütigerPinguin

HeißblütigerPinguin
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2010
  • 166 rep

Lucky dips are things you get at the market (or other places, maybe). They're just cheap toys or little books - anything that could be a "prize" - wrapped in newspaper. So you pay $1 or $2, whatever it says, and pick a prize. And the whole point is that you pick it without knowing what you're going to get. And usually it's kid's books or notebooks, or little pens, or old stuffed toys.

Thanks for clearing that up

MrsBillieJoe95

MrsBillieJoe95
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2010
  • 302 rep
Every country has its stereotypes (i.e- British only drink tea; Every Russian is a Communist; Every German is a nazi). Unfortunately, Americans have become very stereotyped to be any given combination of these traits:
  • lazy
  • fat
  • ignorant to the world outside of the United States
  • very country conceded (thinking we're the greatest nation ever and we're untouchable)
  • all around stupid
Why questions for everyone out there are these:
  • Why do you think Americans are gradually becoming more and more stereotyed?
  • What are your views on Americans (in a general sense)?
  • Why do you think many Americans believe we're untouchable/the greatest country ever?
-----------------------

This is my personal opinion on this:
  • I believe we're becoming more stereotyped because of the fact that in the last 2 or 3 generations, the United States has just gone nowhere but downward. We're just losing out fricken minds!
    ----We have a president (which we voted into office and now complain about- well, not me at least :lol: I was like 12-13 at the time of his election, so I just complain xD) who has his head in the clouds and thinks he can solve all of our problems by passing a bill that runs more people into debt or makes others pay for someone who's too lazy to go and try to get a job to just sit around and do nothing.
    ----We have become more reliant on the government to solve all our issues when they can't! We think that the government can do a lot of things that they can't, but when they come more involved with us, we complain that they're becoming too powerful and want less of them in our society. It's just a vicious cycle!
    ----We've gotten to the point where we don't want to do anything anymore because we expect things to be handed to us right here and now when we want it. I said earlier to a teacher "I'm an American! I expect things to be done for me!" (obviously joking around) and we both had to laugh because it's becoming so true now-a-days.
  • I think that yes, Americans in a general sense are very stupid, well ignorant I should say. We don't think that anyone is going to do anything to us because we have (to an extent at least) money to do things like build up military and send people over to other countries to solve their problems. We are able to make ourselves seem very big and powerful when in reality, we aren't truly that big and powerful. Americans expect other countries to either be on our side or we don't really want anything to do with them until we have to "keep up our image". Another thing I don't fully understand is why we must bring in oil and a lot of natural resources from countries like Afghan., Iraq, and countries such as those when our buddies up in Canada have oil and a lot of other resources. We complain that they keep raising the prices, but yet we continue to buy from them?
    Also, a lot of countries tend to think that near every American is fat. I must say, a lot of Americans are overweight, but I think that a higher % of Americans are "overweight" rather than just simply "fat". It becomes harder for a lot of kids to play outside and get exercise considering everyone's concerned about their kids being snatched up and killed or something. Yes, there's more we can do rather than just play outside, but still.
  • That basically just summed up the third question as well lol.

Edited by MrsBillieJoe95, 10 January 2012 - 03:54 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Debate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users