Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Stereotyping and Individuality

Debate

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

melissawebster

melissawebster
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Joined Aug 05, 2011
  • 267 rep
I have to admit I'd have a real problem giving someone the benefit of the doubt on a racist or violent tattoo. Tattoos are a serious expression of a person's state of mind. If they were repentant, I'd think they'd do what they could to cover it up in some way, with clothes or another tattoo or having it removed. I know that's a big deal to do, but it would be necessary for me to see they weren't like that in the present.

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 3,724 rep
This may be kind of irrelevant, but thought it could fit in with the "individuality" aspect here. :)

So, I've been applying for a lot of jobs lately, and one thing I've noticed on online application forms is that it's extremely common to find a question asking for your sexuality. There's a little drop down list and a few options to choose from, and in all fairness, there is the option "prefer not to say". But I just get really irritated every time I see it because it's like, promoting equality while kind of judging you at the same time. Very hypocritical.

Thought it was interesting how they appear to be supporting individuality and a person's individual choice and whatnot, however at the same time making it a question as though it was important to know when applying for a job so they can judge you accordingly. Kind of as though they're playing the stereotype card and assuming that by asking you this question, they can know a little bit more about you.

Didn't explain at well... hope you can see the connection. :p

fukingcounterstrike

fukingcounterstrike
  • GDC Union Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,924 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2007
  • 3,897 rep
^ Also feel the same when they ask race and gender.... Also brings me to the point (me and Andres talked about this the other day) how Spanish people are not technically white as on all these applications they get their own special category as well. Always makes me go :huh: because I swear they all look white to me, or if you want to be super fucking picky a wonderful wonderful olive which by the way many other southern European nations accomplish as well which brings me back to how the hell Spanish people are no longer white?

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• 4,557 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 3,724 rep
The drop down lists are stupid on job applications. :p I'd be quite happy with a little text box instead. Exactly, what if you don't completely fit into the little categories?

melissawebster

melissawebster
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Joined Aug 05, 2011
  • 267 rep
^^^I have a problem with that as well, and neither affects me negatively personally, but it pisses me off that they're allowed to ask it and can use it to discriminate and make judgements without any real recourse.

^^And I really get what you're saying about hispanics, especially in this anti-immigration climate we're dealing with in America today. My daughter is half Pacific Islander, so she looks Hispanic or "foreign," but she's American. She's in college now, but she will deal with discrimination and judgement when she starts applying for jobs, based solely on her appearance and what she "checks off" on a job application.

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• 4,557 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 3,724 rep
Yeah exactly it's as though they're gathering information to judge and discriminate based on appearance and sexuality. =/

And it's discriminating people both ways - because if a company doesn't have a fair mix of people from every little category on these drop down lists, then people who will be the best for the job may be pushed aside just so the company can fill it's quota. Whatever kind of person they are.

- Kind of off-topic. Sorry. :)

xBasKetxCaSex

xBasKetxCaSex
  • Best Thing In Town

• 9,202 posts
  • Joined Apr 22, 2005
  • 160 rep

There is a fine line between stereotyping and prejudice; however I think more emphasis is put on the negative aspects of stereotyping that ultimately leads to prejudice and discrimination.

Stereotyping is defined as a collection of beliefs and impressions held about a group and its members. These collection of beliefs could either be positive or negative. Most often, people have beliefs about how a member of a given group will act, and this will often lead to the 'self-fulfilling prophecy effect' whereby a person will act in accordance to those expectations or beliefs held about that person and their group and thus reinforces the stereotype held about them.

We're always trying to make sense of our environment therefore we often categorize the things and people around us. Stereotyping is useful in the sense where we can place people in groups that 'make sense'. However, as we know, this process often ends up being hurtful.

The prejudices we develop about people and groups are not impossible to reduce. Awareness and exposure to people from stereotyped groups is an important method to remove the negative associations we develop.

I'm really glad you made that distinction.
See. I never, ever even thought about stereotyping or being racist... and then I started working in the public. And as awful as it sounds, every stereotype you've ever heard has been proven true in my eyes. That is Not to say that there aren't those who break the mold; there are and that makes me very happy. And because of that I will never and have never acted upon a stereotype to form a prejudice. But a solid 90% of the time, they're very, very true. I can tell you which of my customers are going to give me a hard time and in what way. I can tell you which of them can't swim, I can tell you which of them THINK they can swim and which actually can. Usually, anyway.

My view on stereotypes is that when you grow up, you tend to realize that all the stereotypes you have heard are the result of ignorance.

I honestly think stereotypes are like anything else. In the wrong hands, they are a weapon. In everyone else's hand, it's not a big deal.

I completely disagree with your first sentence and entirely agree with that last one.
As I've said, I've witnessed first hand every stereotype I've ever heard. And I've seen the persons in question do nothing but make the stereotype worse. It's a sad truth.

show me a black man that doesn't like fried chicken and or watermelon and I'll show you...... uh...... my penis

Can't even think of any. lol.

anarchistgirlscout

anarchistgirlscout
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Joined Apr 25, 2011
  • 149 rep

I have to admit I'd have a real problem giving someone the benefit of the doubt on a racist or violent tattoo. Tattoos are a serious expression of a person's state of mind. If they were repentant, I'd think they'd do what they could to cover it up in some way, with clothes or another tattoo or having it removed. I know that's a big deal to do, but it would be necessary for me to see they weren't like that in the present.

Some people can't afford to have their past mistakes removed, and it might not be in a place that can be covered up with conventional clothing (especially ones on the face). One of the best and most supportive Girl Scout parents I ever worked with was covered in gang tattoos. She didn't come to the meetings or participate at all because she was ashamed of them and didn't want to be seen the first year I had her daughter in my troop. I am so glad she worked past that the next year.
  • melissawebster likes this

fiercecircus

fiercecircus
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Joined Aug 21, 2011
  • 525 rep
personally i think tattoos are a LOT more accepted than they used to be, for sure. Especially in the medical community- i have had some people give me shit over mine ("i'd never let someone like you work on me!" "you'll never get a job in medicine", etc) but at the same time in the past 10 years people have opened up and chilled out a LOT about this stuff, probably thanks to the popularity of them, and shows like "Miami Ink" that show that "normal" people get tattooed all the time, for all kinds of reasons.

And really, because a lot of hippie open minded people like me are now of the age to do the hiring at these places, and people realize "OH- she could be really smart too!" Tattoos are not the automatic career killer anymore, and honestly i've seen a TON of people in medicine with them (this one nurse the last time my dad was in the hospital- had the most crazy cool tattoos! I know a couple of surgeons with them too.)

But- racist tattoos are bad all around. scary stuff. When you tattoo yourself, it's really like wearing your heart on your sleeve. It's really a huge reflection on who you are. I don't know about you... but if i had a racist tattoo and then changed my mind years later and was embarassed about it... even if i didn't have the money... you can bet your ASS i would be saving every penny to get that shit covered up. It would be a PRIORITY.
  • Cat C and melissawebster like this

anarchistgirlscout

anarchistgirlscout
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Joined Apr 25, 2011
  • 149 rep

But- racist tattoos are bad all around. scary stuff. When you tattoo yourself, it's really like wearing your heart on your sleeve. It's really a huge reflection on who you are. I don't know about you... but if i had a racist tattoo and then changed my mind years later and was embarassed about it... even if i didn't have the money... you can bet your ASS i would be saving every penny to get that shit covered up. It would be a PRIORITY.

A tattoo is a reflection of who you were when you were getting tattoo. It may or may not still be who you are presently. My brother has a dragon on his leg he got when he was 18. I doubt he'd agree it's his heart on his sleeve as he mainly got it to piss off my dad. He's not an idiot teenage boy anymore, but the tattoo remains.
The thing is that when you have racist, gang-related, or other socially dispariging tattoos (especially visible ones), you're not that marketable as an employee. So, finding work that allows you to save for anything is next to impossible. Additionally, you can set it as a goal or priority, but when it comes to providing for your children or erasing the evidence of your past mistakes, choices become a little less obvious.
Take for example the lady I reference earlier. She was jumped into a gang her older brother belonged to at age 11. Her mom died super early from an overdose. She was sexually abused in the gang. She got pregnant at 15. She had two children before working her way out of that lifestyle and she's completely turned herself around. She got her G.E.D. and works two very low-paying jobs to provide for her children. They live in a shitty part of town, she doesn't really spend money on herself, and she pours everything into the idea that her kids need to have the chances she never got.
Who am I to judge her? She's faced situations I can't even imagine.
You might say, "Well, that's an isolated incident." That's true, but how would I know if I didn't try to look past the physical and get to know the person in front of me? What would I be gaining by holding contempt for this person without getting to know them? More importantly, what could I potentially be missing out on by extending judgement when the whole story is unknown?
  • Radithor likes this

MrsBillieJoe95

MrsBillieJoe95
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2010
  • 302 rep
Personally, I don't really like em. I wouldn't put myself under any, but according to some people, I'm "emo" or "goth". I wear skinny jeans, converse, band tees, and my hair was dyed black (once, and more than likely the only time I'll ever do so anytime soon), so people automatically assume that I do this stuff because I'm trying to be a cheap imitation of someone who really is "goth" or "emo., including my own dad :huh: :thumbsdown: I wear what I wear because I love music and my converse, skinnies because that's about all I have now, and my hair was dyed just for the hell of it. My mom was actually the one who asked me if I wanted to dye it and I said "sure, why not?" and twas dyed the next day!

I kinda put myself in the position to be stereotyped, I know that, but there is so much more to a stereotype than looks. I don't really have an attitude towards one specific "type" other than a Green Day fan. Y'know, generally a Green Day fan is super easy to get along with, but we have no problem just snapping at you and verbally beating you if provoked/annoyed. I fit in very well with the Green Day crowd :) :wub:
--------------------------------------
I don't really fit into one specific stereotype now that I think about it. The stereotypes I can really even think of that I might fit into (not necessarily like to but might fit into) are:
  • Punk: I kinda have the personality of a "punk" where I don't care what you think of me, I don't care what I say to you/in front of you (that's to an extent at least. obviously there's stuff ppl don't want to say in front of others, but for the most part y'know), I am all for standing up for what you believe in, and I like the bands that would be considered punk; however, I don't do the crazy hair stuff or all the piercings. There's no way in hell anyone is getting near my face with a needle and shoving it through my face/tongue! I didn't really like my ears being pierced even O______O I have regular earrings and will never get anything other than those.
  • Goth/Emo: They're both pretty much the same thing in the eyes of those who don't know very much about the two or know how to differentiate them. I've dyed the hair black, I wear the band shirts, skinny jeans, converse, and black clothing. Hot Topic is my primary shop for shirts because they're the only place near by that I can get band shirts at. I'm pretty close to being antisocial haha. Again though, I don't do the hair/piercings. I also don't go all out and do the studs/hearts/skulls or any of that crap. I dress to be comfy and show my support for my favorite bands- period!
  • "poser": This is one I really hope nobody would put me under, but I can understand why someone would. I look like I'm too lazy to go full fledged emo/goth/punk. I look like I got halfway through the process with the easy and cheaper stuff then gave up on going past hair/clothes xDD

Edited by MrsBillieJoe95, 24 December 2011 - 03:19 AM.

Liam

Liam
  • Mentally Deficient Seal

• 8,871 posts
  • Joined Feb 17, 2009
  • 3,166 rep
Here's the thread we already have for it :) You should post your thoughts there.
http://www.greendayc...-individuality/
  • MrsBillieJoe95 likes this

Rush guy

Rush guy
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Joined May 12, 2011
  • 97 rep
We use stereotypes all the time, it's a basic cognitive function that helps us to effectively operate. You're most likely looking for negative stereotypes (prejudices) and over-generalizations. Well, as for me I'm a young white male american. There aren't a terrible amount of negative stereotypes about me, so I suppose I should count myself lucky. I hate to see them though and I do my utmost to avoid acting upon stereotypes. The best we can do to make sure they don't impact our behavior is to notice them before we act.

Also, calling attention to stereotypes can have detrimental effects on performance in an academic situation. Interestingly enough, there's a phenomenon called stereotype threat. When reminded of a negative stereotype about themselves, people tend to perform in accordance to the stereotype due to shifted focus from the task at hand to the emotions in response to a stereotype. For instance, if you tell a group of women that men tend to perform worse than men in math, they will underperform in comparison to non-primed subjects.

That being said, should we be more careful when approaching stereotype education to avoid self-fulfilling prophecies? I personally think we just need to be careful on when exactly we are talking about stereotypes, but that they should definitely be addressed to help people prevent their own prejudices.

pasalaska

pasalaska
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,721 posts
  • Joined May 01, 2006
  • 2,961 rep
merged.

MrsBillieJoe95

MrsBillieJoe95
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2010
  • 302 rep

Here's the thread we already have for it http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/... You should post your thoughts there.
http://www.greendayc...-individuality/

thank ya dear :wub: :D and thanks as well for merging the two threads together!

Advertising

Penguin Puffball

Penguin Puffball
  • Tear down the wall!

• 17,439 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 1,885 rep
Posted Image

I found this relevant. It's still ongoing. This bitch is pissing me off.

Edit: shit. Small picture. http://i801.photobuc...ol/Dumbho-1.jpg

HeißblütigerPinguin

HeißblütigerPinguin
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2010
  • 166 rep

picture

I found this relevant. It's still ongoing. This bitch is pissing me off.

Edit: shit. Small picture. http://i801.photobuc...ol/Dumbho-1.jpg

Still too small, I can't read anything

Penguin Puffball

Penguin Puffball
  • Tear down the wall!

• 17,439 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 1,885 rep

Still too small, I can't read anything

FFUUUUUUU....
I shall fix this later.

HeißblütigerPinguin

HeißblütigerPinguin
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2010
  • 166 rep

FFUUUUUUU....
I shall fix this later.

Do it now, I'm dying of curiosity here :lol:

Hitman

Hitman
  • Is it loud enough now that your ears are ringing ?

• 15,244 posts
  • Joined Apr 22, 2005
  • 37 rep
Individuality doesn't come from your clothes, your taste in music, etc. It comes only from your perception of the world around you. It's your perception that dictates decisions, opinions and how you react to anything.
  • Cat C likes this

pasalaska

pasalaska
  • Dearly Beloved

• 7,721 posts
  • Joined May 01, 2006
  • 2,961 rep
This video is awesome, reminds me of me when I was little:
http://www.youtube.c...d&v=-CU040Hqbas

I distinctly remember going to a school friend's birthday party when I was around that age - it was at some stupid fairy themed place, and at the end of the party we all got party bags - the boys all got these awesome balls that stuck to windows and walls when you threw them, while the girls got little plastic unicorns. I was so infuriated that I got stuck with the little, useless plastic unicorn while the boys got the awesome projectiles. I hate the whole 'boys toys' and 'girls toys' and 'pink for girls, blue for boys' thing with a fiery, fiery passion.

Penguin Puffball

Penguin Puffball
  • Tear down the wall!

• 17,439 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 1,885 rep
Oh God yes, the toy situation. I'm glad my parents allowed me a variety of toys. I had baby dolls and barbies, but I also had matchbox cars and footballs.

Atticus Finch

Atticus Finch
  • take lots with alcohol

• 4,055 posts
  • Joined Feb 15, 2005
  • 45 rep
My parents never had a problem with the fact that I had a giant toy box of Jurassic Park toys compared to my older sisters chest of barbies. They use it as fuel for conversation now, actually haha. When my older sister was desperate and wanted me to play with her, I was no sooner kicked out again because I couldn't resist making my dinosaurs eat those dolls. It's weird, because I was a HUGE tomboy back then, but now you would've never assumed it.

pasalaska

pasalaska
  • Dearly Beloved

• 7,721 posts
  • Joined May 01, 2006
  • 2,961 rep
heh, I never, ever had barbies - I only had one doll and I only liked it because when you fed it water it would pee :lol: All my other toys were exclusively from the 'boys' section.
I've always been and will always be a tomboy.

HeißblütigerPinguin

HeißblütigerPinguin
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2010
  • 166 rep
I never had even one doll. They all smelled (yes, smelled) weirdly to me. I either pkayed with my plushies, cars or "gender-neutral" toys

bjrules

bjrules
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Joined Feb 28, 2007
  • 299 rep

I distinctly remember going to a school friend's birthday party when I was around that age - it was at some stupid fairy themed place, and at the end of the party we all got party bags - the boys all got these awesome balls that stuck to windows and walls when you threw them, while the girls got little plastic unicorns. I was so infuriated that I got stuck with the little, useless plastic unicorn while the boys got the awesome projectiles. I hate the whole 'boys toys' and 'girls toys' and 'pink for girls, blue for boys' thing with a fiery, fiery passion.

This is seriously the story of my life haha. I was the only girl in my year level at primary school, because I went to this tiny little school with only 30 people in total. Anyway, I used to get so angry because when I went to parties they would always make me have a stupid little fairy or something while the boys got all the really fun toys. And my absolute pet peeve used to be those lucky dip things, where they had a 'Boys Dip' and a 'Girls Dip' and I used to get so mad because I always wanted the boys dip, and the people running it used to yell at me when I tried to grab something from the boys dip. It's time such as these when I really hate being a tomboy.

Yussef

Yussef
  • love infinitely

• 17,343 posts
  • Joined Jun 22, 2006
  • 4,601 rep
My parents used to buy me a bunch of barbies but I never used to play alone anyway. My brother (or one of my cousins before his mother found out about him braiding my hair and forbade him to play with me) and I used to combine our toys and make up stories with them.
  • Frank's Penis likes this

pasalaska

pasalaska
  • Dearly Beloved

• 7,721 posts
  • Joined May 01, 2006
  • 2,961 rep

This is seriously the story of my life haha. I was the only girl in my year level at primary school, because I went to this tiny little school with only 30 people in total. Anyway, I used to get so angry because when I went to parties they would always make me have a stupid little fairy or something while the boys got all the really fun toys. And my absolute pet peeve used to be those lucky dip things, where they had a 'Boys Dip' and a 'Girls Dip' and I used to get so mad because I always wanted the boys dip, and the people running it used to yell at me when I tried to grab something from the boys dip. It's time such as these when I really hate being a tomboy.

Oh I never even went close to the girls lucky dip.
  • bjrules likes this

Penguin Puffball

Penguin Puffball
  • Tear down the wall!

• 17,439 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 1,885 rep

Do it now, I'm dying of curiosity here http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/...

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy294/xBroken_Minorityx/lol/Dumbho.jpg

Hopefully this one is better. :lol:

MrsBillieJoe95

MrsBillieJoe95
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2010
  • 302 rep
I had a lot of "girls" toys when I was younger, but never because they were made for girls. I had more "gender-neutral" toys though, like I had the Bubba the Talking Redneck Bear toys and loved em, Furbies, Poo-chies, and the stuff like that. I owned a lot of the pony toys because I could mess with their hair xD I just kinda played with whatever I could find. I was one of those kids that everyone probably thought had some sort of handicap cause I would make toys out of anything and everything xDD I used to cut the hair on everything I could because (like most kids) I thought it would grow back and it was fun haha.

funny story about a barbie I had: my barbie didn't have much. She never had a fancy house to live in, a fancy car, or many clothes, but she had a giant metal pool! Barbie decided she wanted to go swimming one day. Unfortunately, Barbie's pool was empty, so pool keeper amber (me) put the plug into the pool's drain began to fill up her pool; however, pool keeper amber had an attention span of like 2 minutes. while waiting on Barbie's pool to fill up, pool keeper amber walked off and did whatever. Pool Keeper amber's mother noticed a bit too late that pool keeper amber began filling up Barbie's pool. Safe to say, pool keeper amber was fired and pool keeper amber's mommy was not happy :lol:

I think it should be up to the children what kinda toys they play with and I believe companies should be more aware of the fact that not everything should be gender specific, especially for children. Clothing is kind of different (to an extent), but younger kids (liken 6 and under) don't know the difference between a toy being made for a girl and for a boy! I think for parents to teach a child that something is gender specific is kinda ignorant and small minded in a way.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Debate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users